Old 02-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
This is an accurate science-based film on the difference between dogs and cats.
That was perfect.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:32 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
If only you would learn to hunt, dammit. He tries and tries to teach you, but you just don't get it. He knows you're not stupid, so why can't you learn this?
Sequential Art reference.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:46 PM

I don't mind my cats getting up on things. I feed them on a small piece of counter top that turns from a odd corner. Away from the dogs. They jump up on any counter that has a sink because they like running water. They get up in the beams and on top of all the high furniture. I have 2 cat trees that they love. They hang out mostly in the laundry room, on the dryer. They have a bed there. So that is a big difference from dogs, who are normally below you on the floor. You'll have reconcile that.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:53 PM

Don’t do it. Run.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
A different take
Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 PM

Some more litterbox thoughts, since there are a variety of good solutions:

I hear you that your bathroom is too small for a litterbox, but I'm a fan of keeping the box as close as possible to the toilet, because it makes keeping it scooped so easy. When the box is far away, scooping starts to feel like a chore. My cat's litter box is currently right next to the toilet, and it's the work of a few seconds to flush the latest poop away.

I've heard the clumping litter many are recommending is great stuff. I couldn't use it because my house has a cesspool. Instead, I use walnut shell pellets which are biodegradable. They don't track at all. An adult cat used to other forms of litter might not like them, but my cat has never known anything else since I got her as a kitten. I'm also surrounded by gulches and it rains nearly every day - so I have taken to flinging the pellets into the gulch. I'm not worried about build-up of cat pee because of all the rain, and the waltnut shells are great compost. This would not work for everyone, of course. But it serves to illustrate that there are a variety of ways to deal with litterbox issues and there is almost certainly a type of box, type of litter, and location that will work for you.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I hear you that your bathroom is too small for a litterbox, but I'm a fan of keeping the box as close as possible to the toilet, because it makes keeping it scooped so easy. When the box is far away, scooping starts to feel like a chore. My cat's litter box is currently right next to the toilet, and it's the work of a few seconds to flush the latest poop away.
Be cautious. Not all kitty litter is flushable; clay litter, for example, can make a nice solid clog in your pipes. Also, even flushable litters may not work well with low-flush (1.6 gallon) toilets, and can be very bad in septic systems.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:16 AM

If you have the cash, I recommend the Litter Robot. I only have to empty mine once a week, and it's always freshly scooped. Hardly smells at all since the waste is sealed in the bin within a few minutes.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
1. The litter box. I'm a little weirded out by a box of poop in my home, and horrified to be one of those people who are identified as a cat owner by the smell as soon as you walk in.
One cat, no problem, clean it every couple of days. Two cats, clean it every day. More than that, clean it twice a day. One box for each cat plus one extra box--although I think if you only have one cat, one box is fine.

Quote:
2. Related: cats stand in and pee and poop in a box, and then walk on surfaces in your house with their little pee/poop/litter feet. Do you just not think about that? Especially knowing they're walking on your kitchen counters?
Every cat I've owned has known it's not supposed to walk on the counter. Most of them have been fine about that. But we are messy and wipe down the counters a lot in any case.

When the cats do jump up it often seems it's because they want to get fresh water dripping right out of the sink faucet. Get your cat a cat fountain. Cats love those things. My dogs have seemed to kind of like them too.

Quote:
3. Also semi-related: getting mad and peeing on things...is that really as common as it sounds?
Have owned cats all my life and this has only happened one time, with one of my cats, and it happened in special circumstances. I had a friend with really smelly feet. He had a condition. Eventually he got treatment and it went away. However, before that... He came over and took his shoes and socks off. My cat peed on his socks. It was actually an improvement. She then tried to bury them. Appropriate.

I had a roommate whose cat would pee on something of every new boyfriend she had. Like a test. Well, during the course of our cohabitation it was only two guys. Some kind of jealousy thing.

So I would say in my vast experience it is not common at all. Now if the roommate had had more boyfriends I might have a different opinion.

Quote:
4. Cat owners seem nonchalant about cats' inherent murdery-ness. Do they really bite and scratch their owners as often as it seems? I guess their unpredictability makes me nervous.
I had one cat claw me accidentally when he was reaching for a piece of meat I was about to give him. I was giving one piece to him and one piece to the dog and I think he was in a rush lest the dog get both pieces, not out of the realm of possibility. He ripped open my finger. Then the dog licked my blood.

I got two kittens in November, and they have scratched me a couple of times, but they are just learning. It hasn't happened in awhile. I would say since December.

Quote:
I think I'd probably gravitate toward one of the "doggier" breeds, like Maine Coon, but again, we're probably talking a few years in the future. Convince me, cat owners! (Or tell me to run far away )
My first cat was a Maine Coon, which I had from the age of 10 to the age of 28. She was a great, great cat. But then I think I would probably have thought that about any cat I owned for nearly two-thirds of my life. I will say, she was different. She liked riding in cars as much as any dog; she liked to be vacuumed; she would help me eat food I didn't like when I was a kid and then begged at the table for the rest of her life. She even tried to eat broccoli for me. I was grateful.

Oh, has anyone mentioned the carpet? We had this cheap carpet and two cats. They clawed it regularly, and it never showed a mark. We moved to a place, took out the carpet, and bought a nice area rug. Not cheap. These two cats ruined that rug in about a week. Got rid of the rug, kept the cats...

We also never saw a lot of wear on the upholstered furniture. Really, much less damage from the cats over the years than from puppies. Although puppies tend to inflict the damage early in their lives while with cats it could happen any time.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 02-15-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash2k View Post
Be cautious. Not all kitty litter is flushable; clay litter, for example, can make a nice solid clog in your pipes. Also, even flushable litters may not work well with low-flush (1.6 gallon) toilets, and can be very bad in septic systems.
I don't flush litter down the toilet, only poop.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:01 AM
Charter Member

Lots of good advice in this thread that I won't repeat. But...

I will say that if a cat pisses in strange places, like the bathtub, it's a strong sign of a urinary infection. To the vet toot de suite. Takes a few weeks of pills to fix, so don't delay.

Male, unfixed cats can spray, quite nasty to find on a chair leg. I have found that males fixed late in life may continue this behavior, so beware if you get a mature, unfixed male.

Our cats were never, ever allowed on counter or table tops. Makes food preparation, eating, and computer use much more enjoyable. They can be trained, although I wouldn't advise leaving an unattended chicken out for a test.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I don't mind my cats getting up on things. I feed them on a small piece of counter top that turns from a odd corner. Away from the dogs. They jump up on any counter that has a sink because they like running water. They get up in the beams and on top of all the high furniture. I have 2 cat trees that they love. They hang out mostly in the laundry room, on the dryer. They have a bed there. So that is a big difference from dogs, who are normally below you on the floor. You'll have reconcile that.
Beck, are these your cats?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:17 PM

Iíve had cats and dogs my entire life. I love them both, but Iím more of a cat guy.

Most of our cats were American Shorthair, but we had a Manx (good hunter; used to bring live snakes home to scare mom and sis), a Siamese (that cat was nuts) and 3 Main Coons (all exceedingly sweet-natured).

Our current cat is an American Shorthair. A lady rescued him from an owl who was in flight with itís talon clamped onto the kittenís head (I donít believe the owl was taking the feline for a joy ride). She whacked the owl with a broom and kitty fell to the ground. I adopted him. Heís got a permanent scar on the back of his head and a bent ear from the talon. His nameís Tibby (coincidentally, my name, too).

Tibby is by far the most affectionate cat Iíve ever had. In fact, heís much too affectionate. I now work from home and he sticks to me like white on rice 24/7. Follows me everywhere I go. Purrs and chatters constantly like a Siamese. Wakes me up every night with his dough kneading and edging me off to a corner of the bed.

We had to have our schnoodle dog Daisy put down on Monday (she was mainly my daughterís dog). Tibby misses her, too (he used to dive bomb Daisy from the table as she walked by).

Hereís a pic of Tibby. But, I warn you, if you have a cat, you may not want to clickóheís the handsomest tomcat on the planet and heíll make your cat look ugly by comparison.

Get a cat. Cats are the catís meow.