Old 02-13-2019, 04:57 PM

Ryan Adams' "Darker Behavior"

From today's New York Times.

I'm a huge fan of his music. I don't know if that will change or not...

Last edited by jaycat; 02-13-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I'm a huge fan of his music. I don't know if that will change or not...
I hope it does change your fandom to some extent. Some of the stuff is pretty damning. This is more than he-said, she-said; the Times has thousands of text messages, like the ones where he sexts a 16 year old (who he started pursuing at 14).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Adams
If people knew they would say I was like R Kelley lol
I just want you to touch your nipple. And tell me that your mom is not gonna kill me if she finds out we even text.
He says he has "no recollection" of any communications pertaining to anything but music, which calls into doubt all his denials. I don't think he walks away from this one.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:43 PM

I remember reading about this guy in Rolling Stone 20 years ago (before he had the clout) and he seemed like a Huge Douche-Bag.

Not surprised.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:09 PM

What a scumbag. I'm deeply disappointed, as I have always admired him as a musician, having almost all of his albums (though they are hit and miss, but when he's good, he's great). I knew almost nothing about his personal life other that he was some kind of headcase concerning drug use, but which rocker isn't? But this report is sickening, and I don't know if I can ever enjoy his music again with that knowledge.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:23 PM

Yep, if any of that is remotely true (and it probably is), I've lost a lot of respect for Ryan Adams. His music is still great though. That stands on its own.

I'm weird though. I still think Bill Cosby is funny. I don't have to like somebody to enjoy their work.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:28 PM

I'll never be able to listen to "Summer of 69" again. What? Oh, RYAN Adams? Still..................
Old 02-15-2019, 03:26 AM

I hated Ryan Adams ever since his cover of "Bad Blood." It was a one-two punch. One, it was a gimmicky novelty ironic cover of an already-insipid song by Taylor Swift. But far more importantly, it cemented the public's association of a song titled "Bad Blood" with this Swift/Adams contrivance, swiping it out from underneath its rightful provenance: the original "Bad Blood", the badass Neil Sedaka/Elton John duet. That is the only "Bad Blood" that I will recognize. Anyway, Ryan Adams has clearly bitten off more than he could chew, and now he's choking on it. Boo-hoo. Doo ron do ron, do do do do ron ron.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Anyway, Ryan Adams has clearly bitten off more than he could chew, and now he's choking on it.
Would you say he now has problems, and also that you don't think he can solve 'em?
Old 02-17-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
badass Neil Sedaka/Elton John
I'll take 'words I never thought I'd see together' for $2000, Alex.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 02-17-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
I'll never be able to listen to "Summer of 69" again. What? Oh, RYAN Adams? Still..................
It couldn’t be Bryan Adams. He’s Canadian.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:03 PM

If you can't listen to someone's music, or watch their movies or look at their paintings etc because they are an ass then you are going to have to have a lot less to listen to, watch etc. What is the ratio of artist/ass? Probably very high.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
If you can't listen to someone's music, or watch their movies or look at their paintings etc because they are an ass then you are going to have to have a lot less to listen to, watch etc.
On the other hand:
(a) You can decide what level of "ass" is too much and decide that trying to get underage girls to send you nudes crosses that line
(b) There's a LOT of art out there. Much of it made by actual decent human beings. You won't run out by being a little selective.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I'll take 'words I never thought I'd see together' for $2000, Alex.
Neil Sedaka is badass because he's the exact opposite of guys like Ryan Adams. Adams is one of those singer/songwriter dudes who tries SO hard to be deep, emotional, intense...there are hundreds of Ryan Adamses every night at open mics all over the country, wailing out songs of fabricated despair, gazing deep into the eyes of the girls by the front of the stage. Neil Sedaka is just the goofy kid singing his heart out, and he's more authentic.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Yep, if any of that is remotely true (and it probably is), I've lost a lot of respect for Ryan Adams. His music is still great though. That stands on its own.

I'm weird though. I still think Bill Cosby is funny. I don't have to like somebody to enjoy their work.
"How long can you tread water" will always be funny.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
"How long can you tread water" will always be funny.
I don't have to like somebody to like their art but I do draw the line at criminal sociopaths who prey on the weak. Call me prissy.