Old 02-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Disney's going to OWN the Box Office this year, aren't they?

So yeah, with the release of the Frozen II trailer today...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-fr...g-b-1832587541

It got my assistant and I thinking about how much Disney has on the slate in 2019.

Captain Marvel
Avengers: Endgame
Spider-Man Far From Home
Dumbo
Aladdin
The Lion King
Toy Story 4
Star Wars: Episode IX
Artemis Fowl
Frozen II

Hell, depending on the scheduling we could add Dark Phoenix and New Mutants under their banner. That's some big tentpoles out there with 10 major releases.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

... and not a single original property among them.

Last edited by JohnT; 02-13-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Wow, outside of the Disney stuff listed above this summer looks pretty dismal for big summer releases. Godzilla and the Men in Black reboot?
Old 02-13-2019, 12:41 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Artemis Fowl, at least, isn't a remake or a continuation of an ongoing series, though it is a book adaptation. (One could argue that Captain Marvel isn't, either, unless you consider all of the MCU films to be one big series.)

Last edited by kenobi 65; 02-13-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Dropping THREE remakes of their own movies in a single year seems bonkers to me. They've had ONE mild success with that formula; I have to think they would be smarter to pace themselves.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I read an article that pointed out that Disney has never won the Best Picture Oscar, while discussing its takeover of Fox. Fox and its Fox Searchlight subsidiary, has made the kind of serious films that are in contention for awards. So I hope that Disney does release some grown-up movies in addition to these popcorn flicks.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
Dropping THREE remakes of their own movies in a single year seems bonkers to me. They've had ONE mild success with that formula; I have to think they would be smarter to pace themselves.
I get where you're coming from, and I don't necessarily disagree. But they've really had more than one mild success with the formula.

Beauty and the Beast: $1.26B
Cinderella: $540M
Jungle Book: $966M
Pete's Dragon: $143M

One tank in the batch. But they also seem to be counting:

Maleficient: $758M
Alice in Wonderland: $1.025B
Alice Through the Looking Glass: $299M

And discounting the 101 Dalmations things from the 90s completely.

That's a lot of money. And they have Lady and the Tramp under development but delayed. It was originally slated for November but I think committing to Frozen II is the better play.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I want to see them come out with Spin and Marty: The Motion Picture...
Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I get where you're coming from, and I don't necessarily disagree. But they've really had more than one mild success with the formula.

Beauty and the Beast: $1.26B
Cinderella: $540M
Jungle Book: $966M
Pete's Dragon: $143M

One tank in the batch. But they also seem to be counting:

Maleficient: $758M
Alice in Wonderland: $1.025B
Alice Through the Looking Glass: $299M

And discounting the 101 Dalmations things from the 90s completely.

That's a lot of money. And they have Lady and the Tramp under development but delayed. It was originally slated for November but I think committing to Frozen II is the better play.
Good points. I actually didn't realize until now that Cinderella and Jungle Book were both straight live-action remakes of the cartoons; I thought they were new movies from the same source. The only one of the three "pure" remakes I've seen was Beauty & The Beast, which I found enjoyable but also fairly unnecessary.

Pete's Dragon was very different from the original, and I would put more in the category with Maleficent and Alice -- a new movie borrowing from an existing property. THOSE I understand, even if I would usually rather they start fresh.

The straight remakes just seem like a strange idea because you risk cannibalizing your original work, but, hey, who am I to argue with $1.26 billion in receipts?
Old 02-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
Boy, if a billion dollars in profit on one movie is a mild success, sign me up for some mild successes.

I can, incidentally, tell you why "Pete's Dragon" was the one disappointment; it was absolutely terrible.

Last edited by RickJay; 02-13-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Dumbo, Aladdin, and Lion King all coming out within a few months of each does seem like over-saturation. And there's been a pretty good sized backlash to Aladdin so far.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:24 PM

More money! Less creativity! Ugh.

We need someone with the wealth and resources to step in there and break up the Disney/Hollywood cartel and introduce some serious new innovative filmmaking in there. Unfortunately nobody with the billions of bucks necessary has the mojo to do that.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

It doesn't require billions to compete and make successful movies in Hollywood today. Jason Blum and his Blumhouse Productions company have made a bunch of money, mostly but not entirely in horror films, with most of their films costing less than five million to produce. And it's not all schlock. They've produced Split, Get Out and BlacKkKlansman.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Most originality (YMMV on what that really means) does better on streaming these days. The budgets for movies mean risk taking is best avoided, and testing waters with new ideas is a much safer prospect on non-Network TV.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:20 PM

im waiting for the elsa meets princess charming discussions to start adter it comes out
Old 02-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
im waiting for the elsa meets princess charming discussions to start adter it comes out

Going by that teaser, it would be more practical for her to meet up with Moana. (And why couldn't they have named it Frozener?)
Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Frozen and Frozener
Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I want to see them come out with Spin and Marty: The Motion Picture...
Hey, I got that even if nobody else did.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post

We need someone with the wealth and resources to step in there and break up the Disney/Hollywood cartel and introduce some serious new innovative filmmaking in there. Unfortunately nobody with the billions of bucks necessary has the mojo to do that.
A24, my friend. That's where the good original stuff is these days.

Ex Machina
The Lobster
The incredibly snubbed at the Oscars Eighth Grade
Under the Skin
Spring Breakers
Locke
Room
The Witch
Swiss Army Man
Moonlight
The Florida Project
Lady Bird
The Disaster Artist
Hereditary

And that's just some. A24 is banking some real quality original movies these days.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

2Frozen 2Furious

I do wish they had gone with a subtitle instead of a numeral, which I thought Hollywood had grown out of.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
A24, my friend. That's where the good original stuff is these days.

Ex Machina
The Lobster
The incredibly snubbed at the Oscars Eighth Grade
Under the Skin
Spring Breakers
Locke
Room
The Witch
Swiss Army Man
Moonlight
The Florida Project
Lady Bird
The Disaster Artist
Hereditary

And that's just some. A24 is banking some real quality original movies these days.
Note that A24 didnít start producing films until 2016, so some of the films on this list were ones they found and distributed. Still, they have a fucking terrific eye for movies. They are what Relativity Media wanted to be, A great identifier of niche, cheaply produced films, but RM didnít have the brains or the soul.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 PM

Fair enough. Still, there's some award hardware on that list. You're right, they have a great eye for quality, original films.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Frozen and Frozener
Frozen 2 - The Bath of Sven
Old 02-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Great. It looks like Robert Lopez might get another Oscar. You already have two original scote Oscars. Isn't that enough?
Old 02-17-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post

That would be HBO, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Starz (can't believe I just typed that), and a bunch more.

Let's face it: The visual entertainment world has flipped. Now, if you want serious, thoughtful programming you turn on your TV. If you want to eat popcorn and watch things blow up, you go to the movies.

I think this is a permanent change. Movies are too expensive to make to appeal to niche audiences. Movies today are made for global audiences, and that means they can't be too nuanced. But everyone likes a good action film, so long as it's light on plot and characterization and has lots of great Fx scenes. So that's what you are going to get.

Well, that or remakes. If yoh are going to spend a half a billion dollars making and marketing a movie, the suits are always going to want to minimize risk by going back the well of what worked before.

Movies are almost dead to me now. I'm tired of paying $15 for a ticket so that I can buy a $12 bag of popcorn and an $8 drink, then watch a half hour of commercials before being allowed to watch the thing I actually paid for. TV is where it's at now.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Boy, if a billion dollars in profit on one movie is a mild success, sign me up for some mild successes.
Correction: those numbers are grosses, not profits. The rule of thumb in Hollywood is that a film has to double its budget to break even. So if you can track down the budgets (sometimes listed at IMDb or Box Office Mojo) you can get a rough idea of the profits.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:25 PM

Thatís just box office, though. With anything by Disney you have to factor in merchandising, too.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:29 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Thatís just box office, though. With anything by Disney you have to factor in merchandising, too.
Totally so. At a certain level, for them, one might view it that making movies is simply a necessary loss leader for their core business of marketing toys, video games, comic books, clothing, theme parks, etc.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:23 PM

I'm one of the few people that think Hollywood didn't need the studio system broken up...… reformed greatly yes broken up no …..especially the part when they owned the theaters

on the complaint of Hollywood being creative … its never really needed to be in the old "golden era" days people would go to see the series like boston blackie every 6-8 weeks which ran for 20 years or blondie which ran so long the kids literatly grew up during the series

granted a lot of the "serials" like those above would probably be a tv series in this day and age

If you can still find a copy get a late 90s version of maltins "movie and dvd guide" theres pages of series that only died when the studio system did ,,,,,,,