Old 02-13-2019, 02:01 PM

What's your favorite lip balm?

I've traditionally been a Carmex guy but I bought an EOS egg and it's been on my desk for a while. I'm underwhelmed by it. It doesn't feel very smooth but it does have a decent amount of menthol in it. I think I'm going back to Carmex.

What's your favorite?
Old 02-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Burt's Bees Peppermint
Old 02-13-2019, 02:16 PM

Plain old black chapstick. I don't like the fruity flavored ones. EOS is more lip gloss than lip balm. IMO.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-13-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:17 PM

Zim's Crack Creme is the lip balm that works for me.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Don't use it. Years ago, someone pointed out that your lips become chapped because you're dehydrated. Kept myself hydrated and never had a problem again. If I feel I'm getting slightly chapped, I just drink some water.

My main problem with lip balm was that it makes your lips feel more chapped when it wears off, so you're constantly applying it.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:43 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Burt's Bees is good but I keep seeing Blistex for half the price of BB so I keep buying Blistex.

I keep one in my car and one next to my bed. I've been putting on some Blistex every night before I go to sleep.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Fingers View Post
Zim's Crack Creme is the lip balm that works for me.
That doesn't sound like lip balm to me.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Don't use it. Years ago, someone pointed out that your lips become chapped because you're dehydrated. Kept myself hydrated and never had a problem again. If I feel I'm getting slightly chapped, I just drink some water.

My main problem with lip balm was that it makes your lips feel more chapped when it wears off, so you're constantly applying it.
I don't know if that's entirely true; sometimes you can get chapped lips if it's really dry outside, or if you're licking your lips a lot, for example.

Other times lip balm is necessary because of conditions- being out in the sun, for example requires lip sunscreen, which is usually lip balm.

I typically don't have big chapped lip issues, but when they do bug me, I'm kind of partial to those little containers of vaseline. I think they use a heavier grade than the normal petroleum jelly, because it doesn't seem to melt as quickly or end up so oily.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I don't know if that's entirely true; sometimes you can get chapped lips if it's really dry outside, or if you're licking your lips a lot, for example.

Other times lip balm is necessary because of conditions- being out in the sun, for example requires lip sunscreen, which is usually lip balm.

I typically don't have big chapped lip issues, but when they do bug me, I'm kind of partial to those little containers of vaseline. I think they use a heavier grade than the normal petroleum jelly, because it doesn't seem to melt as quickly or end up so oily.
Or you live in a dry climate. I spent almost 30 years in Colorado and I needed lip balm (blue chapstsick). My only beverage (aside from coffee in the morning) is water, so internal hydration wasn't the issue.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 PM

I only use unflavored Chapstick. One time I bought Burt's Bees because it's all the store had, but it had this horrible menthol flavor that would burn my lips.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:54 PM

Add me to the Burt's Bees fans; most everything else feels like it smears too much. If you're in the Pacific Northwest, there's a local brand with a very similar texture, Portland Bee Balm.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:38 PM

The cheapo store brands tend to have less of the annoying "tingle" making crap in them.

I only want the wax/moisturizer stuff. Forget the camphor, menthol, etc.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:49 PM

Plain "black tube" chapstick or carmex in the little jar. The carmex HAS to be in the little jar or I'm suspicious that it isnt real carmex and it just doesn't "feel right" somehow when I use it. Weird, I know, but, eh.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
someone pointed out that your lips become chapped because you're dehydrated. .
That's not even close to the case for me. I keep myself very well hydrated to prevent kidney stones, but my lips get nasty every winter like clockwork.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I used to use flavored lip balms, but got used to plain unflavored ChapStick in the Navy.

Of course, it was distributed to us in plain white tubes that were labeled "LIPSTICK, ANTICHAP, COLD CLIMATE".

You can easily find them online if you Google the label -- here's an example.

One thing I like about the plain ChapStick is that it has nothing in it to cause irritation, like menthol (for example). Also, with the flavored lip balms, I usually get sick of the flavor after a few minutes. The plain chapstick does have a flavor/fragrance, but it's more subtle -- and doesn't taste like food.

Quote:
My lips get chapped when I'm skiing, especially in frigid single digit temperatures and wind.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I've gotten addicted to EOS over the past few months. My favorite is the lemon twist SPF 15. I've got one by my bed and one in my purse, and I've been using them every day.

Before that it was mango lip butter from The Body Shop. Until I found EOS, I always found the Body Shop lip balms to be the best.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 PM

Carmex in the little tin is a long time favorite. I have been very happy lately with pink Vaseline. https://www.vaseline.com/us/en/produ...rosy-mini.html
Old 02-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for Carmex. Tub or tube, either one works for me.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Burt's Bees Vanilla

I have a tub of Carmex in my desk at work, along with a couple dozen Avon balm tubes left over from the goodie bags we did for a tournament last year. Those get handed out to any student who needs one.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:14 PM

I don't usually have chapped lips. I've had the same flavored Chapstick for at least 20 years. I'd heard the cheaper ones actually made things worse and thought that was nonsense. decided there was some truth in it when I went into the hospital for a couple of weeks and the unbranded stuff they give to all their patients made it worse. I kept using more and more of it until I realized that was the problem. When I got home I hunted down ole reliable and only needed one application. Explains why I've had the same stick all these years.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Calendula Pomegranate Lip Bee Balm by Morning Song Gardens ("Made with pure Ohio beeswax"). So good.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Burt's Bees, but NOT the kind with peppermint. That burns.

What really helps is that every morning after I brush my teeth, I put a little Oil of Olay on my lips. That gets absorbed quickly, then I add some Burt's Bees Ultra Conditioning. I'm sure any kind of lotion would work.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 AM

Never had the need for some reason. Also never used a moisturizer, as I'm always pretty moist. When I apply moisturizer to my gf's back in the winter (at her request) I always wash my hands thoroughly afterwards with a harsh soap.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 AM

Aquaphor Lip Repair - it's the only stuff I've found that actually, well, repairs my chapped lips.

And as much as I like peppermint-flavored stuff, mint is an irritant, and the skin on my lips is crazy delicate.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:35 AM
born to be shunned

Chicken Poop

https://ilovechickenpoop.com/

The first time I got some was at Tractor Supply and just for the novelty of pulling it out at work. But the (pardon me) shit is really good and works better for me than anything else I've tried.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:42 AM

Another Carmex guy here. I keep a couple of jars in the house and a tube in my truck.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Chicken Poop

https://ilovechickenpoop.com/

The first time I got some was at Tractor Supply and just for the novelty of pulling it out at work. But the (pardon me) shit is really good and works better for me than anything else I've tried.
That's funny! I've always wondered how it got its name.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:13 AM

I have a lip balm in every jacket pocket, in my car, next to my spot on the couch, next to my bed and in my desk at work.

I would consider myself addicted to it. I can't stand the way my lips feel when the lip balm wears off. I don't think they're actually chapped either. My lips never look dry and chapped, but I can't stand the feeling of not having lip balm on my lips.

I use Avon's Moisture Therapy most of the time. I also use vaseline on occasion.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:22 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Remember Bonne Bell?
Old 02-14-2019, 03:25 PM

Blistex Moisture Melt in the squeeze tube. I don't like the waxy (Chapstick) ones.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:19 PM

Vaseline Lip Therapy, which is basically just petroleum jelly. It’s the only thing I’ve used in the past decade, since it’s the only one that doesn’t get you “addicted”.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:49 AM

I've got the tubs of Lip Medex all over the house, in my purse, and in my apron pocket at work.

The very best I ever used was little tub from Aveeno, but I found it in stores in a test market. I guess I didn't buy enough because I've never seen it since then.

I prefer the ones that have an external analgesic. Weirdly, it's the only way I can ever consume menthol in any form.

Just reading this thread, I felt compelled to apply some.

Last edited by CelticKnot; 02-15-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Remember Bonne Bell?
Oh yea! Bonne Bell Lip Smackers - When they first came out they were great big, giant tubes. Strawberry was the best one. All the girls had them in the mid-'70s.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:47 AM
Mere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
Oh yea! Bonne Bell Lip Smackers - When they first came out they were great big, giant tubes. Strawberry was the best one. All the girls had them in the mid-'70s.
I still use them! Well, use them again. Now they're chapstick-sized tubes that aren't even half full. I've used a bunch of different sticks and balms over the years like Carmex, Burt's Bees, Vaseline lip products, etc. Lip Smackers are the only ones that feel right.

When I was in the hospital, they gave me some Blistex medicated lip cream that smelled, tasted disgusting and didn't work. My mom left me her Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker that was so much better which is when I started using them again. I've no idea how or why she had hers.

I'm also one that needs to stay hydrated or my lips will become dry. I don't live in a dry climate.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Blistex Medicated Mint, spf 15.
I used to go to the factory for work and I like giving business to customers.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:30 PM

I lick my lips a lot, so they tend to be chapped. I do use lip balm, but the brand doesn't matter: if I don't exfoliate, I simply have moist, rough lips. I have a little tube of lip exfoliator that works like a charm. In a few seconds, my lips are smooth again, and the balm works better.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:31 AM
BANNED

I goose my camel and wipe it on my lips. Ancient remedy. Keeps you from licking them, too!
Old 02-20-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Zam-Buk. Picked some up at the company canteen in South Africa a few years ago, after getting chapped lips after 17 hours of travel getting there. It's converted me from a Carmex guy, especially because I can't seem to find Carmex in a tin any more, and the Zam-Buk is still in a nice tin.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 AM

A few years ago I found a Christmas special on Lip Smackers -- a three pack of the big sized ones (double the size of a regular chapstick) in a 3 pack, including Cherry and Bubblegum flavors. I also bought some Love's Baby Soft and gave it to my cousin for Christmas. Sweet nostalgia!

My favorite cheap lip balm is Chap Stick Lip Moisturizer (spf 15 or so) with the blue label.

My favorite EOS lip balm is the light blue one with mint.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
I would consider myself addicted to it. I can't stand the way my lips feel when the lip balm wears off. I don't think they're actually chapped either. My lips never look dry and chapped, but I can't stand the feeling of not having lip balm on my lips.
We are polar opposites - I can't stand the feeling of anything on my lips. I'd rather them be chapped, which generally happens every spring when it becomes very windy and I spend a lot of time outside. On the bright side, you are welcome to my lip balm allotment!
Old 02-20-2019, 12:22 PM

Blistex. It works better than any other and it's very reasonably priced. Also widely available. I prefer the Berry or (checks pocket) Superfruit Soother.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Another ChapStick user here, specifically the medicated version.