Old 02-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Any fans of Pen15 here?

Detailed summary Here..

A cringe worthy show to say the least.

Quote:
Created by Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle — Erskine and Konkle are adults and star as the seventh-grade semi-autobiographical versions of themselves — along with Sam Zvibleman, PEN15 zooms us back to the world of middle school circa 2000, before the dawn of Instagram-cataloged pre-prepubescence.
Just finished binging this over the past three days. It c an be creepy at times. But it's very real and NOT a feel good series.

Anyway, I enjoyed the series and was wondering my fellow Dopers thoughts on this show were.

If you like nostalgia, you should check this show out.

ETA: It's on Hulu

Last edited by Grrr!; 02-13-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:43 PM

I'm loving it. Makes a good companion for Big Mouth.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:58 AM
Mere Member

It's weird. I've watched the first three episodes and I'll probably finish the rest, but I like feel-good stuff and this sure isn't it!
Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 PM

I started watching this weekend. I love those period comedies like The Goldbergs and now they have a spin-off from the 90s called Schooled so I figured this was right up my alley, something I could watch with my 14 year old.

YEAHHHH...NO. The first episode I realized this pretty fast, and she wasn't too interested thankfully. I was intrigued though. I had no idea what this was about other than early 2000s, middle school girls. First thought was, "Why in the world did they pick these actresses. They look so freaking OLD to be 13!" I assumed they were just going for realistic normal girls, like not the fake look so many of these comedies offer. It wasn't until the masturbation episode and me thinking WTF am I watching here, a child is masturbating in front of me this is so creepy. That's when I decided to look this up on IMDB.

OH.

After that I loved every minute of it and binged on the whole season in two days. It kind of makes me think Broad City: The Early Years.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
I started watching this weekend. I love those period comedies like The Goldbergs and now they have a spin-off from the 90s called Schooled so I figured this was right up my alley, something I could watch with my 14 year old.

YEAHHHH...NO. The first episode I realized this pretty fast, and she wasn't too interested thankfully. I was intrigued though. I had no idea what this was about other than early 2000s, middle school girls. First thought was, "Why in the world did they pick these actresses. They look so freaking OLD to be 13!" I assumed they were just going for realistic normal girls, like not the fake look so many of these comedies offer. It wasn't until the masturbation episode and me thinking WTF am I watching here, a child is masturbating in front of me this is so creepy. That's when I decided to look this up on IMDB.

OH.

After that I loved every minute of it and binged on the whole season in two days. It kind of makes me think Broad City: The Early Years.
LOL.

Netflix has a similar show called Big Mouth.

In one episode, the characters were reminiscing about the show (Big Mouth). They basically said something to the effect of: "This show HAS to be animated or else everyone involved with the show would get arrested"

Well, I guess Pen15 found a way to get around that problem by casting adult actors.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 PM
Mere Member

I finished all the episodes and they did get better at the end. I LOVED the episode where they signed onto AIM for the first time. It brought back a lot of memories of how exciting IMing was in the beginning. I remember listening to the modem tones with great anticipation....