Old 02-19-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Hey, I didn't spend 5 years at Evil Doctor school to be called 'Mr'!
But wasn't it a three-year program?

I have a Master's degree...in Science. Only get to brag about it here though.*

* may have to add that to my signature, along with my FCC 1st, 2d and 3d Class licenses. Yee-haw!
Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 PM

In my professional experience, those who view getting their PhD as a finish line are the ones who act the most arrogant about it. Those who view it as a starting line are quite humble.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I've been listening to a bunch of videos in which Mayim Bialik talks about many things in her life, including working on her Ph.D. thesis in neuroscience. Some of these videos are interviews of her, while some are her speaking directly to her fans. Anyway, she talks about what a Ph.D. thesis is supposed to be like. She says specifically that it's not generally supposed to be about proving some tremendously important theory in your field. Generally it's a reasonable-sized project that looks at some small hypothesis. Sometimes you just end up showing that this hypothesis merely confirms the known larger theories in your field. Sometimes you just end up showing that the hypothesis you test can't be proved within the limits of the time and money you have for a Ph.D. thesis. Sometimes you show that something you find looks interesting, although it will take a much larger experiment to confirm that interesting idea you're come up with while doing the thesis. Rarely do you prove an important new theory of your field. So what you do in finishing your thesis is learning how research should be done.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You have to show mastery in your entire field, like Math or Physics, before you are allowed to specialize. And you have to be able to handle a fairly substantial research project by yourself, and write it up. That's far more significant than the topic of your dissertation in most cases.
I'm sure some people who don't get PhDs can do this, but I suspect lots can't.
That's all well and good, but don't go to a doctor of archaeology to get a medical opinion,or a doctor of marine biology to learn how to design a rocket.

The doctorate does not make you an expert at EVERYthing.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Before that was Cyrus Smith, the engineer in The Mysterious Island.
and Captain Nemo, and Doc Savage.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Except boat repair.
rofl
Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
That's all well and good, but don't go to a doctor of archaeology to get a medical opinion,or a doctor of marine biology to learn how to design a rocket.

The doctorate does not make you an expert at EVERYthing.
Unless you are the Professor, as I said above.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
We Humans have a tendency to want to BE gods. To have power, fame, wealth, whatever we think will make us happy, respected, feared and let us do whatever we want whenever we want it, regardless of the feelings or well being of others.

Human Nature.

Just like when some people get their black belts in a martial art, they immediately become swollen with pride and a false self-image of power, lord it over those of lower ranks and want to close the door behind them. This kind of thing is ludicrously common.

So likewise when people gain any other position of power and influence, no matter how small the pond.

Power corrupts.
Yeah it gets annoying after a while. Everyone has their thing. I just judge people by how much money they have, it keeps things simple and digestable.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
I just judge people by how much money they have, it keeps things simple and digestable.
Yeah I guess I tend to cast a Spockian eyebrow at especially stock portfolio issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Just like when some people get their black belts in a martial art, they immediately become swollen with pride and a false self-image of power, lord it over those of lower ranks and want to close the door behind them. This kind of thing is ludicrously common.
I've encountered the exact opposite - everyone with a black belt I've ever met has been basically level-headed, with zippo attitude. I'm surprised you've come across the opposite of that, considering that martial arts requires discipline, which (for the most part - from what I've observed, anyway) carries over into the rest of one's life. I guess we live in different parts where the water affects (certain kinds of?) black belts in different, mysterious ways.

Sometimes I'll bug dad in the middle of a conversation by goin "So, ____ ______, Q.C.*, um..." He'd respond along the lines of "What's post-nominaled in the legislature, stays in the legislature."

*Queen's Counsel
Old 02-20-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
In my professional experience, those who view getting their PhD as a finish line are the ones who act the most arrogant about it. Those who view it as a starting line are quite humble.
No shit. My goal with getting a doctorate was to open doors. Similar to a business guy getting a MBA.

You need the credential to further your career if that's your path.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Sometimes I'll bug dad in the middle of a conversation by goin "So, ____ ______, Q.C.*, um..." He'd respond along the lines of "What's post-nominaled in the legislature, stays in the legislature."

*Queen's Counsel
Most of the QCs I know just frame their patent, hang it on the wall, update their professional stationery, and that's it.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:30 AM

As a doctorate-holding faculty member, I do take attendance. I notice the OP has not posted in this thread other than the first post.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

The OP is a brand new poster with a total of 17 posts, nine of which are OPs.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
As a doctorate-holding faculty member, I do take attendance. I notice the OP has not posted in this thread other than the first post.
Look, son, I know you have commitments outside of class, but you made a commitment when you joined this [thread] too. And I have here your signed copy of the syllabus with your promise to be here on time every day, or suffer the consequences.

And posting late equals a third of an absence. Do the math, you'll see how deep the Pit is that you're in.

At this point, the best you can get for the semester is a D+ ... and that's if you show up every day, on time (in this thread; I don't care if you make a witty takedown of octopus in the Trolls R Us thread). And respond to other posters. They've made some provocative points; engage them, learn from them.

I look forward to seeing you posting by 8 am tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Professor Doctor Bachelor Notary UrbanAchiever Digs Diggerson
Old 02-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
The OP is a brand new poster with a total of 17 posts, nine of which are OPs.
And hasn't made any friends yet, according to his profile.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:49 PM

I've been here for 16 years and have 0 friends.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:30 PM

(Thank you, new friend.)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Most of the QCs I know just frame their patent, hang it on the wall, update their professional stationery, and that's it.
And start banking larger paycheques...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
I've been here for 16 years and have 0 friends.
I don't understand what the function of "Friends" here is. It seems to have no purpose other than a very broad "Like" vote.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Unless you are the Professor, as I said above.
Yup, he's the one exception
Old 02-25-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I don't understand what the function of "Friends" here is. It seems to have no purpose other than a very broad "Like" vote.
Some sites get hung up on numbers of posts/upvotes/etc. It gets competitive, or people pad it to "achieve a new level".

I'm glad this place doesn't have a running count of Likes and Friends. I prefer to have all of you as friends... except that guy over there. he knows who he is...
Old 02-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Some sites get hung up on numbers of posts/upvotes/etc. It gets competitive, or people pad it to "achieve a new level".

I'm glad this place doesn't have a running count of Likes and Friends. I prefer to have all of you as friends... except that guy over there. he knows who he is...
To cut to the chase, a forum should just display each poster's h-index.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
And start banking larger paycheques...

Ha. It isn't even that. You should see what idle thoughts has said about me. He did explain that he friends everyone so I guess it's OK.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
And as they darned-well should - the old man would get back from a commonwealth legislative conference and grumble about some doffus's name with QC at the end, in gold leaf, on his briefcase, or noticing a fellow QC'er put QC after his name in a lodge guestbook.

Ever notice how some OP's just...skedaddle (and doubtfullly return to this site again.)

As Baker observed...that's quite the post to thread-starting ratio.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Speaking of arrogant PhD holders and God... (creationist "on1962" in the 31+ post thread)
Old 02-26-2019, 12:56 PM

I know a few people who are incredibly arrogant and think of themselves as gods. Some of them have college degrees; some of them don't.

The worst was a man who had Doctor of Divinity degree who insisted people refer to as Doctor Smith(Not real name). Keep in mind a Doctor of Divinity degree is a honorary degree church colleges give out in order to (in theory) recognize the recipient's ministry-orientated accomplishments. In practice they are giving out to ministers and pastors who can generate the most revenue for their churches. Personally I think any legitimate college should ban the giving out of honorary degrees.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Speaking of arrogant PhD holders and God... (creationist "on1962" in the 31+ post thread)
Ah, the ever-popular "You can't trust science because it's a religion and thus rejects evidence, crushes all dissenting views, and ignores rational thought...and that's why you should trust religion instead!" argument. I love that one.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And start banking larger paycheques.

In England, maybe. Not here. Doesn't change the nature of the work you do, or remuneration. (Not directly, anyway.). Much more just honorific.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
In England, maybe. Not here. Doesn't change the nature of the work you do, or remuneration. (Not directly, anyway.). Much more just honorific.
Ah right. AIUI, taking silk in England usually comes with bigger cases in higher courts, which means more money, although I'm aware that the system has been through some turmoil in recent years so that may be less true than previously.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:11 AM

One of my responses to woo-ists who contemptuously label science as "religion" is to ask: Why do you hate religion?

They don't like that much.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:10 AM

I mean it's not my religion, silly...you know, the correct one!

(Apropos of the thread, I just ordered in a new box of business cards without any of my credentials after my name. I'm interested in whether anyone, client or colleague, will ever comment.)

Last edited by andros; 02-28-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ouch. That's some serious stupid. If that asshole has a PhD, it's one he bought at the five and dime. I can't imagine any real PhD adviser letting him get away with that amount of bullshit.

I wish he'd post in GD. He'd get cut up real good.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, gocomics can't come out to play today. Well, not right now.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
The worst was a man who had Doctor of Divinity degree who insisted people refer to as Doctor Smith(Not real name).
He sounds like a real booby.