Excuse Me While I Grind My Teeth.
I see. Thank you.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Excuse Me While I Grind My Teeth.
OK, but what does it mean?
Old 07-27-2019, 02:28 PM

Okay, so that video almost made me cry. Thanks a lot, OP.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:35 PM

I'm sorry. It affected me too. I would like to know it the baby is ok.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:51 PM

As horrifying as that video is, there are way too many people who can see the violence of that ritual and not be bothered by it one little bit. All because the guy who committed that violence was wearing pretty robes and has a fancy title.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Which to me is a weird label for what they actually say, which is that they cant verify the video, but that infant submersion baptisms are a thing, and that there is a trend to do them quickly in mass baptisms.

That's not a mixture where some aspects are true and others are false. Since they use words for their raitings, not symbols, I don't see any reason they couldn't use more: "Unverified video, but real practice."
So we still don't know that this is a real video of an actual baptism.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
As horrifying as that video is, there are way too many people who can see the violence of that ritual and not be bothered by it one little bit. All because the guy who committed that violence was wearing pretty robes and has a fancy title.
That adds to the horror.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:58 PM

So, I finally watched it. Holy shit! I hope the kid was okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I think you are overly anti-religion here. The people in the background of that video look shocked and upset -- those would be the people who hire people like him to baptize infants. There's nothing in the ritual that has to be violent. There were links upthread to infant baptisms that looked no more violent than a cool bath. It's not like it's intrinsically violent to submerge a baby in water.

This guy was violent because... I have no idea, actually. Maybe he knows nothing at all about babies and was trying to be dramatic. Maybe he's a child abuser on purpose. Either way, he shouldn't be allowed to do baptisms. But I don't see that as an indictment of baptisms, just of him.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I think you are overly anti-religion here. The people in the background of that video look shocked and upset -- those would be the people who hire people like him to baptize infants.
Do you think this was his first time performing a christening like this? I find that unlikely. He was dunking that baby like heís done it hundreds of other times. So how is a guy like this in a positioned to be hired?

I didnít think the onlookers looked upset. Maybe alarmed, but I heard no screaming or saw any desperate arms being outstretched to take the baby from him.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I think you are overly anti-religion here.

I think your knee is jerking way too much here.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:01 AM

Yeah, in general, when I see a video of someone in category x doing something abhorrent, and people are all like, "category x is evil" I do tend to step back and say, "umm, it's this guy who is evil, not everyone in category x". If you want to accuse me of "knee jerking" for that, go for it.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, in general, when I see a video of someone in category x doing something abhorrent, and people are all like, "category x is evil" I do tend to step back and say, "umm, it's this guy who is evil, not everyone in category x". If you want to accuse me of "knee jerking" for that, go for it.
If I had said "Category X is evil", maybe I wouldn't be rolling my eyes at you right now.

Look, there are a shitload of people right now that are all "meh" over female genital mutilation simply because authority figures are the ones holding the knife. And you want me to believe there aren't the same number of people who don't see the big deal over a priest slam ducking a baby multiple times into a baptismal pool? If you doubt this, maybe you need to develop some critical thinking skills in addition to learning how to read.

To help you out: My post had nothing to do with religion. I'm not talking about religious folks. I'm talking about sheeple who willfully turn off their frontal lobes when in the presence of authority. That authority is often of a religious nature, but it can be military, political, or familial. If the president of the US were caught dunking a baby the same way that priest did, you better believe there would be a lot of people excusing it or downplaying it or just not caring about it. Just like they excuse, downplay, or just don't care about babies being stuck in cages or women being sexual assault.

If I wanted to be anti-religion, I wouldn't have phrased my post the way I did.