Old 07-29-2019, 01:50 PM

Fiber Addiction

My doctor basically turned my family and me into fiber gummy addicts. I had my first colonoscopy and he said I needed more fiber. I bought a jar of fiber gummis and started taking the recommended two a day. It smoothed things out I guess.

Because fiber gummis are fruit flavored and like gummi bears and are supposedly healthy my wife and kids started taking them, too.

When the jar ran out......

Everything Stopped.

Think about that sentence for a minute in the context of what dietary fiber is supposed to do for you.

I was carrying around last Wednesday’s brisket dinner for an extra three days until I get to Target and buy another jar of fiber gummis.

Additionally, like with any other addictive substance, you build up a tolerance. I now need six fiber gummis a day just to stay regular.

When the jar gets low everyone in the family gets fiber gummi anxiety. I bought a new jar today, and then I bought an extra backup jar for myself... just in case. I hid it. That’s right, I no shit have a fiber gummi stash.

Knowing the effect they have, I wake up in the morning Jonesing for fiber gummis more than I do for coffee.

I asked the doctor what he did to me and he told me. “I told you to eat more fiber. I never told you to eat fiber gummis. Why did you start messing with those?”

We have all heard the tales of pharmaceutical companies designing their products to be addictive, but fiber gummis? Yup.

Do not fuck with these things.

Last edited by Scylla; 07-29-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Thatís right, I no shit have a fiber gummi stash.
I see what you did there.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:57 PM

There's got to be 12-step program...

...though you may have to start it.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:59 PM

This goes a long way in explaining the recent posting tone & tenor.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:14 PM

I'm going for my 3rd colonoscopy next week waaaaaaaahhhh I don't wanna go through two days of colon cleansing... the prep tastes like stale margaritas without the ice and fun.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:29 PM

This is weird -- I'd never heard of it before, and was wondering if the OP was having us on.

But a little googling brought this up:

Quote:
So what about taking fiber supplements long term? It is possible that if you abuse fiber supplements, your body will become dependent on them. This can lead to you requiring them in order for your stools to move. When you use fiber supplements long term, your body gets used to having that additional source to help move your bowels, so oftentimes, when patients come off of fiber supplements, they tend to feel more constipated. Fiber supplements should be just that—a "supplement" to your diet, not a requirement for your bowels to move.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articl...er-supplements

So, to my surprise, you apparently can abuse fiber supplements (although the article doesn't mention anything about building p a "tolerance" that requires ever-increasing doses).
Old 07-29-2019, 02:39 PM

I would like evidence one way or the other because the Mayo Clinic says "There's no evidence that daily use of fiber supplements — such as psyllium (Metamucil, Konsyl, others) or methylcellulose (Citrucel) — is harmful."

So I am suspicious that whatever problem there is, is related to them being fiber gummies and OP may want to consider switching to psyllium husk. It's cheaper, anyway.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:49 PM

Mr. T needs to do a PSA commercial.

“Don’t be a dummy! Say no to the gummy!”
Old 07-29-2019, 02:51 PM

I used to eat a Fiber One oats and chocolate bar each day. Busted two teeth on those suckers. I'll take the constipation.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I'm going with hyperbole. Fiber gummies, which I take semi-regularly, are only 6-7 grams of fiber. So unless they are your only source of fiber or you are treating and eating them as if they are gummi bears, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:00 PM
Sith Mod

I go for the Orange Metamucil, which is like chunky-style Tang. One glass a day before bed, every day. I've noticed that if I miss two days in a row, I'm going to end up with regrets on day three, but I can't say if this is a side effect of fiber detox or not. Just as likely, my colon has continued to age while I was using fiber, and this is it's new, unassisted normal.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:05 PM

It could also be that you get used to improved pooping from all the fiber and when you miss a day, you're simply not used to the straining you had to do before.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:17 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Luckily it wasn't chewable vitamins. There is nothing worse than a Flintstoner.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:19 PM

why not just eat more vegetables?
Old 07-29-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Thatís what the doctor said.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:33 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
This is weird -- I'd never heard of it before, and was wondering if the OP was having us on.

But a little googling brought this up:

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articl...er-supplements

So, to my surprise, you apparently can abuse fiber supplements (although the article doesn't mention anything about building p a "tolerance" that requires ever-increasing doses).
Take that website with a shaker of salt. I adhere to the view from Mayo as posted above. We've evolved while consuming fiber, so of course it's a natural part of our diet.

Now go have a bowl of Colon Blow.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Take that website with a shaker of salt. I adhere to the view from Mayo as posted above.
oh thank god i can't go back to multi-wipe poops
Old 07-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Screw gummis.
Just sprinkle All Bran (they look like Grape Nuts) all over the top of your cereal.
Done.
You're taken care of.
Just make sure you get the "with Psyllium" kind. (also good for heart and pancreas!)
Reduces flatulence!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
And stay well hydrated. Fiber is a hugely important nutrient, and people in America rarely get enough. But if you donít drink enough water, it can stop you up.

Last edited by Moriarty; 07-29-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Take that website with a shaker of salt. I adhere to the view from Mayo as posted above. We've evolved while consuming fiber, so of course it's a natural part of our diet.

Now go have a bowl of Colon Blow.
Nah, go for Super Colon Blow..
Old 07-29-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Thatís what the doctor said.
And?

Fresh fruit also helps. Apples, grapes, pears are very good.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

If you do have a fiber gummi addiction, Scylla, perhaps some aversion therapy would help. What you need to do is have someone infiltrate your fiber gummi stash, and replace the fiber gummis with sugar-free gummis. Itís best if this is done without you being aware of it (so itís not exactly a regimen you could start tomorrow).

Anyway, if the sugar-free gummis perform as advertised, you should be cured within a couple of days. Then you can start eating crucifers, which is what your doctor wanted you to do in the first place.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure that the fiber gummies will also contain the diarrhoea inducing xylitol that many sugar free products use. You would be mad not to include it as the sweetening agent for an aperient - it's not like the users will complain that it causes them to use the toilet regularly. And as a bonus, when they stop it will exaggerate the negative effects.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
If you do have a fiber gummi addiction, Scylla, perhaps some aversion therapy would help. What you need to do is have someone infiltrate your fiber gummi stash, and replace the fiber gummis with sugar-free gummis. Itís best if this is done without you being aware of it (so itís not exactly a regimen you could start tomorrow).

Anyway, if the sugar-free gummis perform as advertised, you should be cured within a couple of days. Then you can start eating crucifers, which is what your doctor wanted you to do in the first place.
Ah, sugar alcohols.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
....you should be cured within a couple of days. Then you can start eating crucifers, which is what your doctor wanted you to do in the first place.
I have just about had it with this rabid atheism permeating every aspect of society. I donít care how good there are for me, or how good they taste. I am not eating a crucifer. Thatís sacrilegious.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
I'm sure that the fiber gummies will also contain the diarrhoea inducing xylitol that many sugar free products use.
I am aghast at the idea anyone could use xylitol to promote normal digestive movement.

I didn't know xylitol was the sweetener in Ricola cough drops. I picked up a bag of these when I had bad cough and thought "Man, these little all-natural herby doodads are tasty, I'm just gonna suck the whole bag all day until my cough is gone."

And that's how, instead of one problem, I ended up with two. Well, actually three.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 07-30-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Screw gummis.
Just sprinkle All Bran (they look like Grape Nuts) all over the top of your cereal.
Done.
You're taken care of.
Just make sure you get the "with Psyllium" kind. (also good for heart and pancreas!)
Reduces flatulence!
I recommend a few spoonfuls of chia seed, mixed into a cup of yogurt.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
And that's how, instead of one problem, I ended up with two. Well, actually three.
Succinct.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I'm going for my 3rd colonoscopy next week waaaaaaaahhhh I don't wanna go through two days of colon cleansing... the prep tastes like stale margaritas without the ice and fun.
So add ice and fun. Neither is on the prohibited list.

It won't make it any less stale, but maybe a little more tolerable.