Old 08-08-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
They were posting video of threats against Mitch, as news stories, not fercryinoutloud as threats.
How is that functionally any different than just posting threats against Mitch?

Why couldn't the Let's Kill Mitch Club just post a bunch of threats against Mitch as news stories, then?

You don't see the difference between saying there were threats and replaying the actual threats?
Old 08-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post

You don't see the difference between saying there were threats and replaying the actual threats?
I don't see an important difference, except that the latter is more persuasive, if the point of the post is to claim that threats were made against you.
Quote:
How is that functionally any different than just posting threats against Mitch?

Why couldn't the Let's Kill Mitch Club just post a bunch of threats against Mitch as news stories, then?
Are you fucking kidding me, asking what the difference is between someone saying, "Here are the threats made against me" and someone else saying, "I am threatening someone"? Seriously, Snowboarder?

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 08-08-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
...Are you fucking kidding me, asking what the difference is between someone saying, "Here are the threats made against me" and someone else saying, "I am threatening someone"? Seriously, Snowboarder?
Of course, there is a difference when you phrase it that way. That's not what this is.

Twitter is monitoring the CONTENT of what is posted, not the INTENT. There NO difference in terms of what the viewer SEES between me posting a video of the graphic, horrible things I plan to do to YOU, and you reposting that video to show what kind of threats I'm making against you.

Do you get this?

A video of a person being dragged through the street, beheaded, and their head impaled on a pike is just as offensive to the viewer whether I post it to threaten you, or you post it to illustrate my threat. The CONTENT is the same and it is offensive, whatever the reason for posting it.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
The most basic tenet of a civilized society is "treat others as you wish to be treated"; many Republicans have forgotten, ignored or disavowed that. Now they'll have to live, at least for a while, in the society they've helped create.
They are getting the same disrespect and raft of shit they gave out and it hurts their feelings.

As they said to us, "fuck your feelings".
Old 08-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
OK, that broken-shoulder story is disappointing. I was hoping that he broke it from recoil, during a photo-op where he was showing off with a gun too powerful for him.
Too bad it wasn't his neck.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
As I understand it, Twitter has suspended McConnell's campaign account. No link just yet.

ETA: Raw Story.

Quote:
The story is blowing up all over teh intarwebz.

The Hill
Axios
WKYT in Louisville, KY
Even Fox News has a story now.

I welcome correction, but AFAIK you can't post threats of violence on Twitter, and Moscow Mitch's campaign did just that.
Interesting. I got my Twitter account suspended almost immediately after I called him "Moscow Mitch Putin's bitch", commented on how much he apparently got for being a Russian asset, and called him a cheap crack whore. (Some bullshit about "safe environments" and shit).

Anyway, fuck Twitter and fuck him.

Last edited by SteveG1; 08-08-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:50 AM

Well said Thelma Lou; thanks for the backup. I’m at work right now and it’s difficult for me to post.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-08-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Interesting. I got my Twitter account suspended almost immediately after I called him "Moscow Mitch Putin's bitch"
I hadn't heard that one before. Nice, it rhymes, it has good cadence, and it's just close enough to alliteration that it flows, but isn't too corny.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I hadn't heard that one before. Nice, it rhymes, it has good cadence, and it's just close enough to alliteration that it flows, but isn't too corny.
Hey, you might like this. I've been pushing it for a few days now, but it doesn't seem to be catching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
How about a Moscow Mitch home made you tube song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0HKRzVikk
At the very least, you have to give that you tuber an A for effort!
Old 08-08-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
It’s a good jump rope rhyme to teach the kids.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Well said Thelma Lou; thanks for the backup. I’m at work right now and it’s difficult for me to post.
You're welcome. There's a lot of reductio ad absurdum around here, i.e., people pretending to be stupid. Or maybe not.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Of course, there is a difference when you phrase it that way. That's not what this is.

Twitter is monitoring the CONTENT of what is posted, not the INTENT. There NO difference in terms of what the viewer SEES between me posting a video of the graphic, horrible things I plan to do to YOU, and you reposting that video to show what kind of threats I'm making against you.

Do you get this?

A video of a person being dragged through the street, beheaded, and their head impaled on a pike is just as offensive to the viewer whether I post it to threaten you, or you post it to illustrate my threat. The CONTENT is the same and it is offensive, whatever the reason for posting it.
A video of beheading and impaling is objectionable because it's highly gory and by itself extremely disturbing. That's not at all the same thing.

Again, would I get banned if I posted the article I linked to, earlier?

What about this article? It's about Twitter's banning of McConnell, and contains this paragraph:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaPo
McConnell’s camp argued that that hashtag amounted to violent threats against him. They posted the video of a protester on camera in front of his house in Kentucky yelling “Just stab the m----- f----- in the heart, please.” And “Die!” (The new hashtag followed days of his critics using the nickname “Moscow Mitch” for not bringing up bipartisan election-security bills.)
Note that the paragraph contains a death threat in it. Are you seriously suggesting that Twitter is going to ban someone for posting that article, or that paragraph?

Because that's super ridiculous.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
You're welcome. There's a lot of reductio ad absurdum around here, i.e., people pretending to be stupid. Or maybe not.
I mean, I can agree with that at least.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for the triple-post, but I think it's worth pointing out that I'm not the only one who doesn't love McConnell but finds Twitter's reasoning specious. Look at that article I linked to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaPo
On Wednesday, Twitter froze the Senate majority leader’s campaign account for something that, on the surface, seems reasonable to post: a video of protesters issuing him death threats.
Now, to the extent he wants to, Trump can point to Twitter freezing a prominent account for the most prominent senator — for an admittedly perplexing reason — to make his case that social media companies apply the rules unfairly to conservatives.
IMO, Twitter ought to use this as an occasion to refine its rule. Obviously it's an enormous problem to censor people who are reporting threats of violence. Imagine if the exact same scenario happened, except the video showed a cop shouting the same things at a cuffed suspect. It'd be terrible for Twitter to censor that.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:25 AM

So, Moscow Mitch got suspended for posting a picture and whining about some newspaper putting HIS name on a gravestone?

But let's see.... He did that first, and Twitter initially let HIM get away with it. Twice apparently.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...-tweet-1448627

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s campaign tweeted out a photo of satirical tombstones over the weekend, including one featuring an election opponent’s name, hours after the mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, that claimed the lives of 22 people.

The tombstones named Amy McGrath, his main Democratic opponent in the 2020 Senate race for Kentucky, as well as Judge Merrick Garland, whose nomination to the Supreme Court he blocked during the last year of Barack Obama’s presidency.

https://twitter.com/Team_Mitch/statu...890758/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Team_Mitch/statu...95345112305666

So like I already said, fuck him and fuck Twitter.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:39 AM

Trump has never been suspended, has he? I think Twitter is very inconsistent with their decisions.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Trump has never been suspended, has he? I think Twitter is very inconsistent with their decisions.
Yes they are. They seem to give an awful lot of leeway to pro-Trump trolls, people trying to spread propaganda, and to bots.

Anyway, I'm not even gonna bother appealing my suspension. Giving McConnell some shit was worth it.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I don’t think I’m even gonna bother signing up. I don’t suppose “America-hating fuckstick” would fly very far.