Old 08-14-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Possibly Mueller's slip of the tongue during his most recent testimony could become popular:

NORTH: One heart.
EAST: Pass.
SOUTH: Pass.
WEST: Two no trimp.

It could work!
How about:

WEST: Two no cheeto-faced-shit-gibbons.

Ok, it needs work.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:35 PM

I hate to root for an economic downturn, but this morning's news about a predicted coming recession gives me a bit of cheer. If Trump can not run on the economy, he is almost surely toast. If the economic storm clouds do gather, I think we will see more Republicans walking away from the huge stink fart that is Trump. That said, I'd much rather the economy stay healthy and that American voters push this turd out for his own lack of merit.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
I said a while back that we could eliminate the national debt by charging people to piss on Trump's grave. I figure we do it on a sliding scale. Someone like Hillary would probably pay a fortune for the privilege, but we also want to allow access for the workers who went bankrupt when Trump stiffed them.
How much for a dump on Trump?
Old 08-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
How much for a dump on Trump?
Shut up and take my money!
Old 08-14-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
It will have 10,000 copies of The Art of the Deal and bookshelves lined with binders full of all of his positive printouts from Fox, Breitbart, and InfoWars raving about how great Trump is. The gift store will sell flash drives containing all his Tweets and MAGA merchandise.

A treasure trove for future historians trying to understand the end of America's world leadership and its domestic decline.
Add in thumbs up bobble heads for sale and you got yerself one great lieberry.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt View Post
How about:

Ok, it needs work.
It's promising, though!

Quote:
I hate to root for an economic downturn, but this morning's news about a predicted coming recession gives me a bit of cheer. If Trump can not run on the economy, he is almost surely toast. If the economic storm clouds do gather, I think we will see more Republicans walking away from the huge stink fart that is Trump. That said, I'd much rather the economy stay healthy and that American voters push this turd out for his own lack of merit.
The signs for recession are appearing daily.

If it looks inevitable, I'd expect action on the 25th Amendment front. The GOP reasoning will be: Pence may not be all that popular, but there will be a certain feeling of sympathy for him and many who don't pay all that much attention to politics will be thinking 'give the guy a fair chance, vote him back in, he's only been President 6 months' (or whatever it is, given the difficulties in prying Trump out of the Oval Office).

So that could go badly for democracy, too.

(Still, even Pence would be better than Trump, due to his relative paucity of rabid fans.)
Old 08-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Does Pence have ANY fans? Even the people of Indiana seem to hate him.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Pretty much any raging evangelical. John Hagee, for example. Pat Robertson. Robert Tilton. Falwell. Graham.

Most of 'em are scam artists, too, so they're comfortable with him.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hate to root for an economic downturn, but this morning's news about a predicted coming recession gives me a bit of cheer. If Trump can not run on the economy, he is almost surely toast.
Maybe, but an article I read about this week's "yield curve inversion" claimed the recession follows in 18 to 24 months. Just in time for the Democratic POTUS to be left to clean up another Republican administration economic turd.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 08-14-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Pretty much any raging evangelical. John Hagee, for example. Pat Robertson. Robert Tilton. Falwell. Graham.
Most of 'em are scam artists, too, so they're comfortable with him.
Just guessing, but I bet there are a lot of closeted men who find Pence to be admirable, if not inspirational.

Still, that doesn't amount to enough people to give Pence anywhere near the power Donald has had to ravage the nation.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Just guessing, but I bet there are a lot of closeted men who find Pence to be admirable, if not inspirational.

Still, that doesn't amount to enough people to give Pence anywhere near the power Donald has had to ravage the nation.
The evangelists who love Pence have a lot of fans.And even the people who aren't their fans are often heavily influenced either by the preachers or the fans of the preachers. And a lot of those people are in public office. Witness the laws coming out of the state legislations in states like Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc., most of which have been discussed in this forum in terms of horror and disbelief.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
The evangelists who love Pence have a lot of fans.And even the people who aren't their fans are often heavily influenced either by the preachers or the fans of the preachers. And a lot of those people are in public office. Witness the laws coming out of the state legislations in states like Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc., most of which have been discussed in this forum in terms of horror and disbelief.
You're right about all that. But that's still not Trump-rally-level devotion.

If Pence actually were at that level of popularity, we'd be seeing evidence of it---even if Pence is savvy enough to refrain from actually attempting to hold his own rallies, knowing how Donald would react.

We'd be seeing more coverage of Pence in the media, for one thing. The media is all about ratings. If Pence coverage would give them good ratings, they'd be offering Pence coverage. They wouldn't care that Donald would be grumpy about it.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt View Post
How about:

Ok, it needs work.

"Two nocfashiggi", which can be shortened to "Two nocfas" or even "Two shiggis". Given whom we're memorializing here, I prefer "shiggis".

Last edited by Monty; 08-14-2019 at 07:44 PM.