Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 AM

When we go pontooning, I drive to the marina with the cooler, boat bag, and a dog or two. Once I have everything set up, I text my gf and she drives down with whichever dog(s) I didn't bring and we embark.

Sunday I had my daughter's dog (dogsitting) and our old dog Ella. Ella is extraordinarily obedient, but doesn't like strangers. I got everything situated and was ready to go to the boat, loaded down with two dogs, a wheeled cooler, and a boat bag.

A woman with three little kids was unloading her car, when the kids saw my dogs and got all excited, "doggies!!". So the woman hollers over to me, "do your dogs like kids?" as she walked towards us. I answered, "No". She gave me the nastiest glare! Would she rather I lied and her tykes became chew toys?!
Old 08-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Our hospital has the "cute" habit of playing Brahms' Lullaby over the PA system every time a baby is born up in Maternity. This is merely obnoxious on a routine basis, but today...
Do they at least play the whole version?

The whole version has something like 4 "phrases":
dah dah DAAAAH, dah dah DAAAAAH, dah dah DAH dah, dah dah dahhhhh
dah dah dah-dah, dah dah dah-dah, dah dah dahdly-dah, dah DAHHHHH.
dah dah DAH, dah dah dah, dah dah dah daaaaah, d-dah dah
dah dah DAH, dah dah dah, dah dah dahdly-dah dah dahhhhhhh

A lot of baby toys with music boxes skip over that third phrase antirely and it's jarring as hell.

Hearing the whole thing 20+ times a day would have any sensible person going postal.

Hearing the abbreviated version would have me committing massive property damage on the PA system after about the second time.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
For the second time since getting this 'upgrade' from DirecTV, I've managed to delete an entire block of recorded programs instead of just a single program. At least there's plenty of space on the DVR now.
Quote:
Anti-rant: the entire set of programs I thought I had deleted has reappeared. Weird.
I have to admit to being a bit disappointed here. I thought that having a rant and it's anti-rant together in the same thread would lead to an Earth-shattering ka-boom. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Not to mention that if you ask "Jim" about it, it might (as in will) be a different story. That's not how it works in the real world. The person on the lease pays the entire rent on time, even if the other party hasn't forked over the funds. Then the person on the lease harangues the other party or ultimately kicks his ass out. Well, maybe they both need learn the hard way.
How does that work when there are multiple persons on the lease? My daughter just signed a lease that has her paying a fixed amount for a single bedroom in what I’ve been given to understand is a five bedroom apartment in Brooklyn (this was after the REALTOR coordinating the lease brought in renters for the other four rooms).

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-15-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
How does that work when there are multiple persons on the lease? My daughter just signed a lease that has her paying a fixed amount for a single bedroom in what Iíve been given to understand is a five bedroom apartment in Brooklyn (this was after the REALTOR coordinating the lease brought in renters for the other four rooms).
It sounds like she is leasing a room in the apartment (with rights to use the common areas), not the apartment as a whole. If she pays the amount that is shown on her lease, she should be OK.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:41 PM

But if one person rents the entire place, and sublets it out to the other tenants, then they are the one that's responsible for sending in the check for the full amount, whether others have turned in their share yet or not.

Cite: every student and post-grad apartment I ever lived in. To give you a clue how long ago that was, four of us each paid Hippie Dave $55 a month, because he'd found a flat with three big bedrooms for $275/mo. If you didn't get Dave his fiddy-five by the first, you didn't get to eat the stir-fry he'd made that night.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
I have to admit to being a bit disappointed here. I thought that having a rant and it's anti-rant together in the same thread would lead to an Earth-shattering ka-boom. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Maybe it kaboomed the DVR, I haven't checked lately.

Nope, everything is still there.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:04 AM

My feet hurt, only because I've been walking around for four hours

I really need to do more walking.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
How does that work when there are multiple persons on the lease? My daughter just signed a lease that has her paying a fixed amount for a single bedroom in what I’ve been given to understand is a five bedroom apartment in Brooklyn (this was after the REALTOR coordinating the lease brought in renters for the other four rooms).
You really need to find out the details. This happened to the daughter of a friend of mine, except the landlord coordinated it. And his way of coordinating it was to put all 5 random tenants together on one standard lease, with joint and several liability and all that entails.

It was a nightmare. It was a freaking disaster. The roommates were so horrible her daughter attempted suicide over the living conditions. They were total deadbeats as well and the landlord reacted by starting eviction procedures against everyone, including her daughter. She eventually got her daughter out of there but it cost her a fortune.

Be careful

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 08-16-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Well, I might have just lit the fuse on something. My mother and I are developing ulcers watching my son not pay his rent (for the fifth? month in a row? He pays it about two weeks late). I suggested to her that maybe my brother has a right to know. He's apparently giving my son cash and trusting him to pay the rent. We have all learned over the years that my son is not to be trusted, but maybe Jim needs a refresher course.
Mom's worried there will be a violent confrontation. Well, so am I...but Jim is an adult. This information concerns him and he can make the choice about how to handle it. Right?
I am all for minding one's own business, but...
You know what, I have to call my mom right now and tell her to keep her mouth shut.

By the way, I didn't tell Mom about the rent being late. The realty company sent her an email about it because she was once on the lease and they apparently still have her contact information.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Too late! This may be an interesting weekend.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post

By the way, I didn't tell Mom about the rent being late. The realty company sent her an email about it because she was once on the lease and they apparently still have her contact information.
If she was once on the lease, but still getting emails, she may want to double-check to make sure she's not liable in any way.

-Marcel Marceau
Old 08-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Hmmm...let me update the hypothetical conversation.

You: Son, your landlord keeps contacting me and your grandma because you have not paid your rent.
Son: Ah, he's mistaken. I have./That's okay, Mom. I'll pay it tonight.
You: Stop lying! We already told him that you are on your own and don't bug us about it. You're on the lease, not us. And you're stealing money from your uncle. (That's assuming uncle is paying your son.) You will be evicted and you absolutely are not moving in here. Nor are you getting one red cent from anyone else in the family, you deadbeat liar.

I don't know how it'd would go over or even if you like it, but the conversation sure looks cathartic to me--maybe that would quell the ulcers. If he gets evicted, don't think there won't be an entry on his credit report. That'll make it all that much harder for him to find another place to squat in rent.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
If she was once on the lease, but still getting emails, she may want to double-check to make sure she's not liable in any way.
And whatever you or your mother do, don't send a payment yourself directly to your son's landlord! (INAL, just IMHO, etc.)
Old 08-17-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
...A woman with three little kids was unloading her car, when the kids saw my dogs and got all excited, "doggies!!". So the woman hollers over to me, "do your dogs like kids?" as she walked towards us. I answered, "No". She gave me the nastiest glare! Would she rather I lied and her tykes became chew toys?!
My dogs are not here for your children's entertainment!

We have 3 dogs, 2 are adult greyhounds. They are well trained, have delightful manners and are wonderful around people and animals of all ages. If I have the time and am in the mood, I will allow children to pet them.

Ralph, OTOP, is a 6 month old puppy who is going to grow up to be a St Bernard (not really, but he's 50 lbs now and still hasn't gotten close to growing into his feet). Ralph goes to puppy training classes and we are really working on stopping him from jumping on people. He's fairly good at doing the sit/stay thing until he gets excited. I don't care how much he loves children, I will NOT allow kids near him because the clumsy pup is sure to knock them down and probably jump up and down on them while licking them to death.

So, today we were waiting for the light to change, everydog sitting nicely when a woman allowed her 3 children to "run over there and play with the doggies". I was furious. I yelled at the kids and scared them into stopping so they could start to cry, and the mom started yelling at me because I didn't want her precious children near my stupid mutts.

Light changed, we left in a hurry.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I was going to go off on a rant about people who misuse apostrophes (not apostrophe's) but since we are dedicated to fighting ignorance, I am instead posting a link to a site which can teach everyone to use apostrophes correctly, and in a mildly amusing way.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I was going to go off on a rant about people who misuse apostrophes...
A close cousin to people who use Quote Marks That People "Think" Will Add Emphasis.

I first saw it as a preschooler on a vending machine: "Exact" Change ONLY!
I knew about quotes to denote fakes from Superman comics*. And I remember thinking "So NOT exact, but a so-called exact? How does that work? The adult world is confusing."

*I clearly picture Superman saying: Excuse me, Mister "President"! As he ripped a latex mask off a fake JFK.
Wait, doesn't our "President" use quotes wrongly in his tweets?

Last edited by digs; 08-17-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Why in the fuck is it so hard for retailers to grasp the concept of padding a box of breakable items??? The dumbshits in question this time can be found at Bed Bath & Beyond. I had a great coupon, so I decided to order some pretty Meadow Fiestaware -- a four-piece dinner set, a ramekin, and a fruit bowl. The box was sitting on my front porch this morning, and made a disturbing clinking sound when I picked it up. The four-piece set had been placed in the bottom of the box with no protective wrapping of any kind; the plate had smashed to bits, and the resulting shards had chipped or scratched everything else except the fruit bowl.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:03 PM

We got a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed trivet that arrived in bubble wrap, but made the same noises when I picked up the box.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I was going to go off on a rant about people who misuse apostrophes (not apostrophe's) but since we are dedicated to fighting ignorance, I am instead posting a link to a site which can teach everyone to use apostrophes correctly, and in a mildly amusing way.
That link should be tattooed on the inner surface of people's eyelids.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
A close cousin to people who use Quote Marks That People "Think" Will Add Emphasis.

I first saw it as a preschooler on a vending machine: "Exact" Change ONLY!
I knew about quotes to denote fakes from Superman comics*. And I remember thinking "So NOT exact, but a so-called exact? How does that work? The adult world is confusing."

*I clearly picture Superman saying: Excuse me, Mister "President"! As he ripped a latex mask off a fake JFK.
Wait, doesn't our "President" use quotes wrongly in his tweets?
Just a few hours ago, I saw a job ad on Facebook for a cleaning company, saying "Why not join our team of "happy" cleaners?" Though that may have been deliberate.

While I'm here; something in my apartment smells musty, but I can't figure out what. I've been away nearly 2 weeks, and I just keep getting random whiffs of this manky washing smell, from no obvious source, so I'm having to go round sniffing everything.

So far, I've just succeeded in looking a bit of a tit.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Filbert, I had some potatoes go rotten in a drawer in my kitchen and the smell was very musty. Any old potatoes around?
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

"So far, I've just succeeded in looking a bit of a tit."

Americans just don't have the same lovely phrases. I may have to borrow this one ... and for fun, slather on the heaviest Southern twang I can distill from 30 years of living in Texas.
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Do they at least play the whole version?

The whole version has something like 4 "phrases":
dah dah DAAAAH, dah dah DAAAAAH, dah dah DAH dah, dah dah dahhhhh
dah dah dah-dah, dah dah dah-dah, dah dah dahdly-dah, dah DAHHHHH.
dah dah DAH, dah dah dah, dah dah dah daaaaah, d-dah dah
dah dah DAH, dah dah dah, dah dah dahdly-dah dah dahhhhhhh

A lot of baby toys with music boxes skip over that third phrase antirely and it's jarring as hell.
Yes, they play

All

FOUR

PHRASES

of the effing lullaby.

I miss the old days, when they only ran fire alarm system tests three times a day.
Old Today, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

My son paid his rent! (after Mom received one more email saying that he had three more days to pay it or GTFO). Then he called my mom and played the part of charming, penitent grandson. His uncle decided to back down and just endure five more months until the end of the lease.
Mom and I continue to keep an eye out for alternate living arrangements for Jim, which neither of us will allow our names to be associated with.
Old Today, 08:23 AM

So I just dragged myself out of bed an hour early to go to a work meeting only to find........work meeting was rescheduled. Hey, would have been nice to have had that notification on Friday; I'm really not an early-out-of-bedder...
Old Today, 09:38 AM

My husband didn't pay any attention to the letters he got from the State regarding his unemployment benefits. His department was eliminated but he was given 12 weeks' severance, paid out in bi-weekly increments just like a normal pay check (they called it SUB Pay). His last deposit was August 9. He file a claim for each of the two weeks after that and they were denied. In reading the letter regarding his eligibility for unemployment, it states that no payments will be made until NOVEMBER. We have no idea why. He's too emotionally fragile to do anything other than hide in the garage painting and assembling a model of the Titanic right now. If he hasn't figured it out and filed an appeal by this weekend, I think I'm going to ask for a separation. It would be different if he were doing anything around the house, other than bizarre "projects" that nobody else cares about. I shouldn't be coming home to moldy dishes in the sink and dirty socks on the floor but a freshly painted porch ceiling (took six hours - he was so proud!).

I'm not even mad ... just resigned.
Old Today, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Filbert, I had some potatoes go rotten in a drawer in my kitchen and the smell was very musty. Any old potatoes around?
I found a very elderly sweet potato. No smell appeared to be coming from that, but the smell does appear to have vanished.

In other news, my bees are tiny flying assholes, and I'm fed up with it.

I'm going to have to try take some honey off them later in the week, but I really don't wanna. I was literally picking furious stinging bees off my suit for over 10 minutes, over 100 metres from the hive. That's crazy. My
Old Today, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

I hate to sound like the old geezer I am, whatís the matter with kids today? Had a man come in today to bid out a painting job. He said as a small business owner he canít get young people to work for him. He says he pays well and gives some benefits. No one shows up, he canít get his small business to grow.

And another thing I was walking down the sidewalk with my husband, four tweens were walking towards us. Taking up the whole width. My husband stepped on the grass, I didnít and said Hi Kids! They said as they passed ď did you here what that fucking woman said?Ē I couldnít believe it
Old Today, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Why in the fuck is it so hard for retailers to grasp the concept of padding a box of breakable items??? The dumbshits in question this time can be found at Bed Bath & Beyond...
I call them Bed Bath and Buttholes. (Bolding mine)