Old Today, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I understand that. I just don’t see how it’s productive to employ dehumanizing language that targets folks that tens of millions have voted for relatively recently. It just leads to an environment where folks on the receiving end want to dish out in kind. So call Bush a chimp? Fine. Call Ms. Clinton a harpy? Well that’s misogynistic!

That’s the inconsistency that I personally do not like.
"Harpies" are screeching monsters from Greek mythology, half woman and half bird. They're associated with a negative view of women -- calling Clinton a "Harpy" is specifically an attack on her gender (and negative stereotypes associated with it, like being "screechy" or "bitchy"). That association doesn't exist for Bush and Chimps. Yes, the idea is to 1) make fun of Bush's own, individual appearance (harrdeehar, he has big ears!) And 2) insult his intelligence. Juvenile? Yes. Offensive? Not so much.

To test this theory -- what if you called Hillary something else? What if you called her a baboon, for example? I doubt anyone would take offense. But "Harpy" for Hillary is a charged term. Can you call Bush a Harpy? Sure, you can. You can call Obama a harpy, too. But while you're welcome to call Hillary or Bush a chimp, you shouldn't call Obama one...

The point is, context matters! A lot!

Last edited by Babale; Today at 02:13 PM.
Old Today, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
"Harpies" are screeching monsters from Greek mythology, half woman and half bird. They're associated with a negative view of women -- calling Clinton a "Harpy" is specifically an attack on her gender (and negative stereotypes associated with it, like being "screechy" or "bitchy"). That association doesn't exist for Bush and Chimps. Yes, the idea is to 1) make fun of Bush's own, individual appearance (harrdeehar, he has big ears!) And 2) insult his intelligence. Juvenile? Yes. Offensive? Not so much.

To test this theory -- what if you called Hillary something else? What if you called her a baboon, for example? I doubt anyone would take offense. But "Harpy" for Hillary is a charged term. Can you call Bush a Harpy? Sure, you can. You can call Obama a harpy, too. But while you're welcome to call Hillary or Bush a chimp, you shouldn't call Obama one...

The point is, context matters! A lot!
This shouldn't need explaining. But you're attempting to explain it to someone who is dumber than a burlap sack of wet hair. So I suspect your efforts are in vain.
Old Today, 02:20 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I understand that. I just donít see how itís productive to employ dehumanizing language that targets folks that tens of millions have voted for relatively recently. It just leads to an environment where folks on the receiving end want to dish out in kind. So call Bush a chimp? Fine. Call Ms. Clinton a harpy? Well thatís misogynistic!

Thatís the inconsistency that I personally do not like.
What inconsistency? Has anyone been prevented from calling H. Clinton a harpy? I did a search for all thread reports containing the word "harpy". There were 5 such reports, and two of them had to do with Game of Thrones because the episode title was "Sons of the Harpy". The others had nothing to do with the use of the word "harpy".

It's a childish insult to label H. Clinton as a harpy, but it's not against any rule per se. It's a childish insult to label Bush 43 as a chimp, but it's not against any rule per se.

Personally, I find most of your oeurvre of criticism to be misplaced, or based on false equivalencies and equivocation.
Old Today, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
This shouldn't need explaining. But you're attempting to explain it to someone who is dumber than a burlap sack of wet hair. So I suspect your efforts are in vain.
I doubt he's stupid, but I also doubt the choice of "harpy" as Clinton's insult was coincidental.
Old Today, 02:48 PM

I remember the Obamas being called chimps, but not so much GWB.

Oc, it would actually be more poignant if you used an example that was from this year. This is a different society than 10 years ago.
Old Today, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I remember the Obamas being called chimps, but not so much GWB.

Oc, it would actually be more poignant if you used an example that was from this year. This is a different society than 10 years ago.
GWB was definitely called a chimp very often; not necessarily on message boards, but shirts depicting Bush's face (and ears) on a chimp were very common, as were "evolution" shirts showing Bush as the predecessor to Gibbons.

I didn't know anyone who called Obama a chimp, but I'm sure it did happen -- I just wasn't friends with anyone quite that racist.