Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 PM
Toxgoddess Toxgoddess is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 463
The food at Cracker Barrel is disgusting. And I don't like bacon either.
  #302  
Old 01-23-2018, 12:56 AM
Velocity Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
Pressuring yourself to think positively is bad for your mental health.

There's nothing wrong with complaining, however trivial the complaint.


This, a billion times this.

Too often "think positive" = "try to fool yourself into thinking things are better than they actually are."

And "don't complain" often just means, "Put a lid on that truth-telling, nobody wants truth."
  #303  
Old 01-23-2018, 01:15 AM
Biotop Biotop is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 6,743
I view people unfavorably who use coupon as a verb.
  #304  
Old 01-23-2018, 01:49 AM
needscoffee needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I disagree, with one exception and that country is Somalia. Thankfully, there are very few Somalis in my area, but I understand that every place they're settled, they basically take over and all rules, etc. must be changed to accommodate them, and criticism of them is not allowed. I have never heard one good thing about that community; they've never had to follow laws and often don't comprehend that they have to do that here.

People from Congo, Myanmar, Venezuela (yep, we'll see them in time), Syria, etc.? As long as they're vetted and arrive legally, they are welcome. But not Somalis.

Another bizarre, prejudiced, unsupported opinion brought to us by nearwildheaven. You admit there are very few Somalis in your area, but you sure do know a lot about all the rest of them. Have you ever met one? Well, I know plenty of them, and the ones I know are lovely people who are grateful to be living in a safe country. There are bad elements and gangs in any culture, and those are who one hears about. Whatever you've seen on your oh-so-many message boards is likely lots of fearful anecdotes, probably by people who know nothing about it. It must suck to live in your world.
  #305  
Old 01-23-2018, 03:46 AM
UY Scuti UY Scuti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
And "don't complain" often just means, "Put a lid on that truth-telling, nobody wants truth."
I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but I don't think people generally seek the truth.

Last edited by UY Scuti; 01-23-2018 at 03:46 AM.
  #306  
Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Sir T-Cups Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,651
Rick and Morty isn't THAT good of a show and pales in comparison to Archer on the "You have to be a bit smarter-than-average to get the jokes" cartoon scale.

Hell, the first 3-4 seasons of Family Guy are funnier/smarter than it.
__________________
Want to see more of my adventures in Orlando? Follow Mrs. Cups and me @theorlandoduo on Instagram
  #307  
Old 01-24-2018, 03:23 PM
Toxgoddess Toxgoddess is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 463
I like pineapple on pizza.
  #308  
Old 01-24-2018, 06:12 PM
madmonk28 madmonk28 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 10,702
Stephen Strasburg is a better pitcher than Max Scherzer. Scherzer May have more raw talent, but Strasburg plays for the team and Scherzer plays for his personal glory.

Last edited by madmonk28; 01-24-2018 at 06:14 PM.
  #309  
Old 01-24-2018, 06:13 PM
madmonk28 madmonk28 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 10,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxgoddess View Post
I like pineapple on pizza.
I do too, with ham, but it has to be big juicy pieces that get slightly carmelized in the oven.

Last edited by madmonk28; 01-24-2018 at 06:13 PM.
  #310  
Old 01-24-2018, 06:46 PM
The Other Waldo Pepper The Other Waldo Pepper is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I do too, with ham, but it has to be big juicy pieces that get slightly carmelized in the oven.
Oh, I’ve seen plenty of folks who like the ham-and-pineapple combo; some places, it’s a menu item; the supermarket down the street has ‘em ready to go.

But if you offer me a free pizza — with any two toppings — I’ll go for pineapple and anchovies, which is a whole ‘nother level of “wait, that’s your go-to choice?”
  #311  
Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 PM
madmonk28 madmonk28 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 10,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Oh, I’ve seen plenty of folks who like the ham-and-pineapple combo; some places, it’s a menu item; the supermarket down the street has ‘em ready to go.

But if you offer me a free pizza — with any two toppings — I’ll go for pineapple and anchovies, which is a whole ‘nother level of “wait, that’s your go-to choice?”
You had me at anchovies. Anchovies, pineapple and onion.
  #312  
Old 01-24-2018, 07:20 PM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxgoddess View Post
I like pineapple on pizza.
+1
  #313  
Old 01-24-2018, 07:30 PM
Scribble Scribble is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
You had me at anchovies. Anchovies, pineapple and onion.
I LOOOOVE anchovies! That's an unpopular opinion, all by itself.

I've never tried them with pineapple, though. Maybe I should.

Last edited by Scribble; 01-24-2018 at 07:30 PM.
  #314  
Old 01-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Velocity Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Another bizarre, prejudiced, unsupported opinion brought to us by nearwildheaven. You admit there are very few Somalis in your area, but you sure do know a lot about all the rest of them. Have you ever met one? Well, I know plenty of them, and the ones I know are lovely people who are grateful to be living in a safe country. There are bad elements and gangs in any culture, and those are who one hears about. Whatever you've seen on your oh-so-many message boards is likely lots of fearful anecdotes, probably by people who know nothing about it. It must suck to live in your world.
I was once an assistant teacher in a program that helped refugee students from Somalia and elsewhere. One Somali kid was great, an earnest learner even as he struggled in a tough environment. But two others were some of the most horribly behaved students I'd ever seen. (if they were Somali - I'm pretty sure they were, but might have been some other African nation). They flat out bullied, were passive aggressive, untrustworthy, destructive and just totally self-centered and manipulative.

Last edited by Velocity; 01-24-2018 at 08:57 PM.
  #315  
Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 PM
needscoffee needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I was once an assistant teacher in a program that helped refugee students from Somalia and elsewhere. One Somali kid was great, an earnest learner even as he struggled in a tough environment. But two others were some of the most horribly behaved students I'd ever seen. (if they were Somali - I'm pretty sure they were, but might have been some other African nation). They flat out bullied, were passive aggressive, untrustworthy, destructive and just totally self-centered and manipulative.
All we can definitively conclude from this is that you once had 1 great Somali student.
  #316  
Old 01-26-2018, 02:02 PM
Alessan Alessan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 22,613
I like "We Built This City" by Starship. It's a perfectly decent 80's pop tune.
  #317  
Old 01-26-2018, 02:25 PM
Vinyl Turnip Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 19,047
There's a limit, dammit!
  #318  
Old 01-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Sir T-Cups Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Stephen Strasburg is a better pitcher than Max Scherzer. Scherzer May have more raw talent, but Strasburg plays for the team and Scherzer plays for his personal glory.
I don't quite get this logic, care to explain?

ETA: I'm assuming you mean something to the effect of "Scherzer wants a K every time, but Strasburg will try and get the better to GIDP if a dude is on first"

Am I (heh) in the ballpark?
__________________
Want to see more of my adventures in Orlando? Follow Mrs. Cups and me @theorlandoduo on Instagram

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 01-26-2018 at 02:29 PM.
  #319  
Old 01-26-2018, 04:07 PM
HubZilla HubZilla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 2,622
I might be going too far on this one:

In Force Awakens, people complained how Force newbie Rey could be so powerful compared to the trained and experienced Kylo Ren. I thought "Didn't people watch the other Star Wars movies?" There's an easy explanation:

Rey had a higher midichlorian count!
__________________
"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument" - William McAdoo
  #320  
Old 01-26-2018, 06:01 PM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9,438
I thought "La La Land" was boring and switched it off after about 20 or 30 minutes.
  #321  
Old 01-26-2018, 06:19 PM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I thought "La La Land" was boring and switched it off after about 20 or 30 minutes.
It was awful. I like musicals and romance, and it was awful. We made it 32 minutes. I texted my Father in law to let him know how long we made it, and he replied: ''We quit after 14 minutes. You lose."

The worst part is we own the movie. We bought it at full price because there was no rental option.
  #322  
Old 01-26-2018, 07:31 PM
Martini Enfield Martini Enfield is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I like "We Built This City" by Starship. It's a perfectly decent 80's pop tune.
You're not alone! It's absolutely a perfectly cromulent '80s song.
__________________
Note: Please consider yourself and/or your acquaintances excluded from any of the author's sweeping generalisations which you happen to disagree with or have different experiences of.
  #323  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:38 PM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
You're not alone! It's absolutely a perfectly cromulent '80s song.
It's a fine song but it gets stuck in my head every time I build a city over a settlement in Catan.
  #324  
Old 01-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Ludovic Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 27,483
Heh. Whenever anyone selects the "settler" action in Puerto Rico, The Sound of Settling by Death Cab for Cutie plays in my mind.
  #325  
Old 01-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Ludovic Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 27,483
Black Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter both are stupid and insulting slogans. Vanishingly few people believe black or police lives do not matter. Now, neither opinion on its own is unpopular but the combination likely is.

I wasn't even a fan of BLM's message at first: in fact, the cases they chose to popularize were so marginal that whenever another one popped up my first reaction became "I wonder what the catch is this time?" Whereas before BLM I tended to give the putative victims of police brutality the benefit of the doubt because I only heard about the most slam-dunk egregious cases.

However, since then, there have been very many legit extremely egregious examples of police misconduct so my opinion is starting to shift the other way. Which hasn't swayed my opinion on whether or not I think black people's lives matter

I am on the probably-unpopular fence as far as their protest tactics go as well. I did not appreciate the fact that an uncomfortably large percentage of them either condoned rioting or participated in it, while also keeping in mind that there are a huge number of them that weren't and all of them shouldn't be blamed for the actions of some. I was and am against their disruptive tactics such as blocking highways. However, when people complained that they should find a different way to protest to be more peaceful, I made a little prediction to myself that if they did find a way to change tactics, that a huge number of people telling them to change their tactics would still find a way to attack their tactics. So, yeah. I'm still not 100% pro-BLM but what the fuck is wrong with taking a knee?
  #326  
Old 01-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Jennshark Jennshark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tren'un, NJ
Posts: 2,697
I think some older "classic" films are are boring and unremarkable (and I'm a serious film buff who likes a vast range of movies, including those of the 1930s - 1950s era).

"Casablanca" - boring and plodding

"Citizen Kane" - eh. Revolutionary camera work and beautiful cinematography with a sucky plot.

"Gone with the Wind" - overwrought melodrama (to be fair, so is the novel).

"Wizard of Oz" - TBH, I didn't see this until I was 45yo, so I didn't see it as an impressionable, unjaded kid.

"It's a Wonderful Life"- Mrs. Shark watches this at least four times a year. I hate Xmas-themed movies and this one in particular chaps my hide.

Skipping forward, Robin Williams was a terrible actor and ruined many movies he starred in; his work has been posthumously lionized but the bulk of it is saccharine crap meant to showcase his ADHD/manic man pixie antics. He did a few dramatic movies he was better in, but I avoid anything he did

Last edited by Jennshark; 01-27-2018 at 06:31 PM.
  #327  
Old 01-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Jennshark Jennshark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tren'un, NJ
Posts: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Black Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter both are stupid and insulting slogans. Vanishingly few people believe black or police lives do not matter. Now, neither opinion on its own is unpopular but the combination likely is.

I wasn't even a fan of BLM's message at first: in fact, the cases they chose to popularize were so marginal that whenever another one popped up my first reaction became "I wonder what the catch is this time?" Whereas before BLM I tended to give the putative victims of police brutality the benefit of the doubt because I only heard about the most slam-dunk egregious cases.

However, since then, there have been very many legit extremely egregious examples of police misconduct so my opinion is starting to shift the other way. Which hasn't swayed my opinion on whether or not I think black people's lives matter

I am on the probably-unpopular fence as far as their protest tactics go as well. I did not appreciate the fact that an uncomfortably large percentage of them either condoned rioting or participated in it, while also keeping in mind that there are a huge number of them that weren't and all of them shouldn't be blamed for the actions of some. I was and am against their disruptive tactics such as blocking highways. However, when people complained that they should find a different way to protest to be more peaceful, I made a little prediction to myself that if they did find a way to change tactics, that a huge number of people telling them to change their tactics would still find a way to attack their tactics. So, yeah. I'm still not 100% pro-BLM but what the fuck is wrong with taking a knee?
I support BLM, but hate that some of the protests have devolved into riots.

I also believe that blue lives matter, but some of its rhetoric is positioned as the opposite of BLM. These movements are not mutually exclusive -- I don't want ANYONE to be hurt/killed.
  #328  
Old 01-27-2018, 11:23 PM
jaycat jaycat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I don't quite get this logic, care to explain?

ETA: I'm assuming you mean something to the effect of "Scherzer wants a K every time, but Strasburg will try and get the better to GIDP if a dude is on first"

Am I (heh) in the ballpark?
I've posited on these boards before that I'd rather have Strasburg then Scherzer on the mound in a do-or-die situation. However I also don't understand the assertion that one is more selfish than the other.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017