Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

What's your worst trait that you are not going to change?

I have a co-worker who turns every little itty bitty tiny mistake anybody makes into a total disaster. She'll criticize you if you drop a pencil or accidentally bump into someone.

Someone asks me why she does that, and I replied "Because she's Tina."

So let's face it: We all have one bad trait that is part of our basic make up, and is not going to change. Confess it here!

I'm snarky. I can combine criticism with humor better than anyone you'll ever meet. And, yes, I have been told to knock it off, but that ain't gonna happen. It's me. Deal with it.

What's yours?
Old 03-21-2019, 12:26 PM

The cat gets my tongue in social situations. I know I seem chatty and talkative here on the Dope. But really I'm quiet. I can go days without talking to another human. It really bothers my kids. Mr.Wrekker doesn't mind. We have a sort of shorthand of communication. It's all in the eyes. .
I will not be changing at this late date.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
The cat gets my tongue in social situations. I know I seem chatty and talkative here on the Dope. But really I'm quiet. I can go days without talking to another human. It really bothers my kids. Mr.Wrekker doesn't mind. We have a sort of shorthand of communication. It's all in the eyes. .
I will not be changing at this late date.
And here I thought you were going to say "Posting in every single thread on the Straight Dope"

On an unrelated note, mine is being sarcastically dickish in too many situations.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I tell lies and kill inconsequential people. Hey! I gotta be me.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I can be kind of a snarky smart-ass in real life. It often gets me in trouble, especially with the wife, but I can't help it.

Of course I'd rather be a smart-ass than a control freak like my SIL or just critical of everything like my MIL -- two more traits that are likely to never change.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:25 PM

I can be a bit impatient and short tempered. It's something that I've worked on to improve my entire life.

I'm much more patient in my middle aged years.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
And here I thought you were going to say "Posting in every single thread on the Straight Dope"

On an unrelated note, mine is being sarcastically dickish in too many situations.
I see how you are.

( You'll be happy to know I may have found my voice right here, on our beloved Dope)

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-21-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:38 PM

I'm just way too nice all the time.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Being self-immersed. Yep, narcissistic me. Not likely to change.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:54 PM

I'll let you pick one - though both of these fall under "I'm not domestic at all and was raised to assume that I'd marry/enslave a wife to do it all for me, which ultimately didn't happen."

1) I don't cook. By which I mean I sometimes do some light microwaving, but don't go as far as boiling water, and literally have not turned on the oven or stove in my apartment in the thirteen years I've lived there. I subsist mostly on food that requires no more preparation than two minutes in the microwave. It's not ideal, but cooking sounds like a lot of work, a ton of time spent (or rather wasted, since nothing would be edible), and if I turned on the stove now the dust in it would probably ignite and burn down the apartment complex.

2) I don't care about various kinds of mess. As in, I don't care that the room is messy, and thus don't bother to clean it. I and the room achieve a homeostasis where the room is not bad enough to bother me and I have more time to do other, more entertaining things. Of course other people (crazy people) might disapprove of empty cardboard boxes stacked up waiting for me to decide they're in the way, or of dust and detrius accumulating into Dust Bunnies of Antioch around the edges of counters and hallway floors. Anything that actually matters is kept clear and clean and sanitary, but if its not in the way and I don't come into contact with it it's left free to develop sentience if it chooses.

And yeah, I'm aware that thanks to all this there is no way in the seventeen hells that any woman would put up with me, but I've made my peace with it since even if I was domestic I have lots of other attributes that would still drive any potential love interests away, so six of one, a half-dozen of another.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I see how you are.

( You'll be happy to know I may have found my voice right here, on our beloved Dope)

Good job! *thumbs up!

(not sarcastically dickish)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:03 PM
born to be shunned

I'm not good at being serious; in other words I tend to joke at odd times. Hospitals, funerals, and the like. I am very good about not saying anything inappropriate to anyone inappropriate but I'm just odd at seeing the silly side of everything.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:09 PM

I do not fake interest in an attempt to be polite. If someone starts going on about something that I have no interest in, I wander away. I realize it's rude, but hey, I'm happier than I was back when I'd smile and nod.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:10 PM

Can't pick just one. All my traits are equally egregious.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:13 PM

I'm self-centered and spare no expense or effort in pampering myself. I'm single, uncommitted, and unapologetic. There are very few things I want because I've gone out and gotten them already. I love socializing in groups as much as being treated on a date but, if they want, they're welcome to wine and dine me, at least until they become frustrated and aggravated with me. LOL
Old 03-21-2019, 02:13 PM

Being an incurable smart-ass. It is incurable, after all.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Practically everything reminds me of a song. Which I will immediately sing a line or two of. And my singing voice is bad enough that, when I start singing, even my wife and son tell me to shut up.

I've been doing this for decades. Why should I stop now?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:15 PM

Being unfairly and unreasonably harsh in my judgements regarding the motivations of people. IMHO, "people" are evil. As a species, we are gleefully deceptive and destructive for any reason at all including their own short term giddies. The only thing that limits overt demonstrations of worldwide malice is our inherent laziness. At best, we sometime pay homage to an implied social contract that says "You don't burn my stuff down and I probably won't burn yours down even though we both know you deserve it."

Yes I fully include myself in the grouping of "people".
Old 03-21-2019, 08:48 PM

I don't turn the other cheek, I seek revenge. And damn is it sweet.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 PM

I'm loud. Always have been. I work on it, but when I get excited about a topic my volume goes up. I'm 68, probably not going to find my indoor voice any time soon.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I am always right.

You don't think so? Too bad. You're wrong.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
After a slightly bumpy start, I think you've found your groove here, and we're happy to have you. I enjoy your posts -- keep 'em coming, and ignore the snark from the snarkers. It's just what they do -- no one knows why.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
After a slightly bumpy start, I think you've found your groove here, and we're happy to have you. I enjoy your posts -- keep 'em coming, and ignore the snark from the snarkers. It's just what they do -- no one knows why.
I expect teasing and ribbing. And I don't mind it at all. I feel more welcome here, of late. Thank you for forgiving my early transgressions.

( are you sure my many posts didn't just wear you down?)

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-22-2019 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:54 AM

I'm probably one of the laziest individuals on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
2) I don't care about various kinds of mess. As in, I don't care that the room is messy, and thus don't bother to clean it. I and the room achieve a homeostasis where the room is not bad enough to bother me and I have more time to do other, more entertaining things. Of course other people (crazy people) might disapprove of empty cardboard boxes stacked up waiting for me to decide they're in the way, or of dust and detrius accumulating into Dust Bunnies of Antioch around the edges of counters and hallway floors. Anything that actually matters is kept clear and clean and sanitary, but if its not in the way and I don't come into contact with it it's left free to develop sentience if it chooses.
All of the above, I would reckon not a bad trait; but virtue.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:01 AM

Hating exercise.

I'll do the minimum required not to be completely unhealthy (well sometimes), but this "find a sport you enjoy" stuff just won't ever work for me. I *enjoy* being on the sofa with a book and possibly biscuits.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:04 AM

I am a drinker. But I like to think I'm more Elwood P. Dowd than The Lost Weekend.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
I am a drinker.
That's your worst trait!?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
This, x1000. It's not that I don't care, it's that cleaning the mess doesn't seem worth the effort. I have piles of papers I haven't gone through in decades, and boxes of stuff from my last move in 1995! I have no idea what's in them, but I'm sure it's something I need.

And then there's the cat hair.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
That's your worst trait!?
Well, I'm also pompous, pretentious, condescending, aloof and unapproachable, but that ties in with my intellectual arrogance.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:52 AM

^^cat hair is a fashion statement!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
I don't turn the other cheek, I seek revenge. And damn is it sweet.
I have to say, this is a great username/post combo.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:50 AM

I'm a show-off. I do American Ninja Warrior-type workouts, and I have a bunch of videos of the stuff I do on my phone, and with the slightest provocation (particularly when I've been drinking), I will whip out my phone and show you half a dozen videos of myself. And post them online, too.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookahMacPhellimey View Post
Hating exercise.

I'll do the minimum required not to be completely unhealthy (well sometimes), but this "find a sport you enjoy" stuff just won't ever work for me. I *enjoy* being on the sofa with a book and possibly biscuits.
This is me. Drives my wife crazy.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:27 PM

I keep saying I'm gonna change and become a better person. But I'm not. Or I would've by now.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:37 AM

I'm stingy and cheap -- especially with myself.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtosite View Post
I'm stingy and cheap -- especially with myself.
Yep, that's me. It is a trait that I'm not going to change, but it's not because I don't want to change it. I just have no natural generosity. When I am generous, you can be sure it's all finely calculated. How I was brought up. Sorry.

j
Old 03-23-2019, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am a drinker. But I like to think I'm more Elwood P. Dowd than The Lost Weekend.
As long as you aren't engaging in conversations with invisible animals, you should be fine.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:39 AM

Apathy. I really don't give a f*** about much. I'm not mad at the "other side," I don't think twice about other people who are idiots, and I make no effort to make much money (though I do, for some strange reason) or succeed in professional endeavors (though I have). People usually describe me as being "even-tempered," but it's really just apathy.

Note: Please do not tell me I may be depressed. I have a great life, just without the drivers that some other people seem to have.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I follow the rules. I expect other people to follow the rules. And I generally can't understand why someone wouldn't follow the rules.

Yes, theoretically, there are circumstances under which the rules might be worth breaking, but nothing that I encounter in my daily life.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm also pompous, pretentious, condescending, aloof and unapproachable, but that ties in with my intellectual arrogance.
That just killed the resemblance to Elwood P. Dowd.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:27 PM

Apathy. I was going to curse Zonex and his little dog too, for beating me to it but, meh...
As a companion for my apathy, I'm content, mostly, with my comfortable circumstances in life. I make enough to pay the bills, but thats about it. Just not worth the effort, ya know?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:34 PM

No one has said "procrastinate" yet?

Ideally, I'd like to change that, and I do have specific areas where I don't procrastinate at all. I pay my bills the instant I get them, and I drop everything to immediately complete any freelance editing assignments I receive.

Other stuff? Meh. I think I'll just keep procrastinating.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post

Ideally, I'd like to change that, and I do have specific areas where I don't procrastinate at all. I pay my bills the instant I get them, and I drop everything to immediately complete any freelance editing assignments I receive.

Other stuff? Meh. I think I'll just keep procrastinating.
Bolding mine. I was going to yesterday, but then figured I could do it today. I'm not kidding.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:36 PM

The simple fact that I still get everything done despite my procrastination is the reason I procrastinate.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:16 PM

I procrastinate. It takes days for me to convince myself I need to do this or that. I've managed over the years to fix my world to work without much need of me to be present. The bills get auto-payed. My house is basically running itself. My pets put pressure on me but I can handle that. Mr.Wrekker and the kids know just when to leave me be. My volunteer work is just 'that' voluntary. So if I don't feel like it I don't do it. It's the way I want it. So I'm not changing.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:29 PM

How do you pick just one? I have a host of traits I dislike and have spent most of my life trying to change. Maybe that's the worst trait I'm not going to change: that I can't change my worst traits.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:18 AM

I never could dance in organized social situations. Comes a time I have to realize I never will. Things like wedding receptions etc really test my ability at tactfully resist other's attempts to force/shame me to the dance floor without becoming adamant to the point of nastiness.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestchaz View Post
Apathy. I was going to curse Zonex and his little dog too, for beating me to it but, meh...
As a companion for my apathy, I'm content, mostly, with my comfortable circumstances in life. I make enough to pay the bills, but thats about it. Just not worth the effort, ya know?
Eggzactly...why bother? Why should I let other people live in my head rent-free by staying angry? Why work four or five times as hard for things I won't have the time to enjoy? Why waste time trying to change things that will go right back to where they were once you stop making the effort?
Old 03-24-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I'm going to, really. Geez, you don't have to hound me...

But my more immediately annoying trait is the inability to hear a song without adding harmony, or even a counter-verse*. That's why I jump at any chance to run errands in the car by myself or stay home alone (hey, the dogs have never minded... though when I tried an alto descant to Living On A Prayer, they came to see what was wrong)

*as in Teach Your Children or Jackson Browne's Song From Silver Lake...
Old 03-24-2019, 06:25 PM

I'm not going to change any of my bad traits or any of my good traits. As far as I can tell those are all immovable at this late date. If anything changes it will be by the hand of God, not me.