Old 07-08-2019, 06:36 PM

Roland Emerich's "Midway" will make "Pearl Harbor" look like "Saving Private Ryan"

Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd8OsSdXEGc

Discuss...
Old 07-08-2019, 06:43 PM

KABOOM!

[repeat until credits roll]
Old 07-08-2019, 06:49 PM

There's worse things that turning a major battle into a cheesy action movie with lots of explosions. See Pearl Harbor again for an example.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Roland Emmerich...the man who taught me to distrust and hate trailers. The man who ruined any hope of ever getting excited about a movie for me. The man who killed any sense of child-like wonder in me....yeah, pass.

Last edited by snfaulkner; 07-08-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:54 PM

I'll see it if he blows up the White House again.

So given the anticipated historical accuracy of the film, I guess there's a chance I'll see it.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:11 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Doubtful it can be worse than Pearl Harbor. Figure out a way to have one person be a fighter pilot with the RAF in the Battle of Britain, a fighter pilot who shot down multiple planes at the Battle of Pearl Harbor and then be a bomber pilot on the Doolittle Raid.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

YouTube makes you sit through an ad to see a movie trailer??????
Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Disgusting, yes? The God damn theater charges you money to see ads to see trailers.

Edit: and AND, You have to leave your house!

Last edited by snfaulkner; 07-08-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I once watched a movie trailer whose ad turned out to be that exact movie trailer so I just watched it twice to get my ad revenue's worth.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:09 AM

There is not the slightest chance in Hell that this is going to be a good (or historically accurate) movie.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
There is not the slightest chance in Hell that this is going to be a good (or historically accurate) movie.
There is a slight chance. From what I can see right now there are no fictional characters. All the main actors are playing actual people. No Matt Garth or improbable Affleck character. And the cast is full of good actors.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
There is a slight chance. From what I can see right now there are no fictional characters. All the main actors are playing actual people. No Matt Garth or improbable Affleck character. And the cast is full of good actors.
Why does it start with Pearl?

and why the love interest?
Old 07-09-2019, 11:59 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Why does it start with Pearl?

and why the love interest?
Obviously I havenít seen the movie.

By the trailer it appears they are using Pearl Harbor as a graphic example of a failure of military intelligence to contrast it with the MI triumph of Midway. No idea how much time they will spend on it. It looks like they are going to show some of the Doolittle raid too. The carriers at Midway did participate in that.

I also canít know how much of a love story is going to be shown. Ed Skrein is playing Dick Best (great name) who led a dive bomber squadron off the Enterprise during the battle. Mandy Moore appears to be playing his wife. Both real people. Best was one of the principal heroes of the battle.

No doubt the CGI battles will be over the top. Apparently they are trying to tell the actual story and not throw some fake characters into a real event. I find that encouraging. But looks may be deceiving. Not all of the characters are named yet.

The screenwriter is the writer and executive producer of Colony which I like but other than that he doesnít have much of a track record so I donít know how to feel about him.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
By the trailer it appears they are using Pearl Harbor as a graphic example of a failure of military intelligence to contrast it with the MI triumph of Midway.
The greatest defeat of the US Navy and its greatest victory, six months apart.

The Japanese thought they had the world by the balls until the Doolittle Raid. They moved on Midway to nullify the US threat in the Pacific once and for all.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Ah, modern cgi.

The battle and attack scenes look like paintings.

That's not a good thing.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Ah, modern cgi.

The battle and attack scenes look like paintings.

That's not a good thing.
Totally agree. Way back when, these movies were great for fans of air shows featuring old war planes and war plane museums and the like. Hollywood would make the movie but have to restore a bunch of old planes in the process. Afterwards they practically gave them away. Now with CGI? Computer games? I'm going to watch the 1976 version.

Last edited by pmwgreen; 07-09-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: tpyo
Old 07-09-2019, 12:57 PM

Looks like World of Warships game. Not good..
Old 07-09-2019, 01:10 PM

Existing thread.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:42 PM

But what I want to know is, will this version be in Sensurround?

Then again, given the speaker layouts used in theaters (and home systems) today, how many steps down would Sensurround be?
Old 07-09-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

How's he going to shoehorn in the scene where New York City is graphically destroyed?
Old 07-09-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
will this version be in Sensurround?
I had a friend who told this story about seeing the 1976 version of Midway, accompanied by a WW2 Navy pilot:

The battle was raging and the theater was throbbing with the sound of it all. In a brief lull, the pilot leaned over and said to my friend: "Charlie, I was at the battle of Midway, and it wasn't this loud."
Old 07-09-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
No American pilot-Japanese love interest subplot where Chuck Heston uses up all his favors to.....shove it under the rug?? I don't remember.

Maybe this movie will have Michael B. Jordan sneaking into a Dauntless and secretly being part of a squadron....or Chadwick Boseman guilting Admiral Nimitz into letting him fly an Avenger

"Admiral, I flew a cropduster for 15 years and you're out of pilots!! You need me!"
Old 07-09-2019, 10:38 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
No American pilot-Japanese love interest subplot where Chuck Heston uses up all his favors to.....shove it under the rug?? I don't remember.

Maybe this movie will have Michael B. Jordan sneaking into a Dauntless and secretly being part of a squadron....or Chadwick Boseman guilting Admiral Nimitz into letting him fly an Avenger

"Admiral, I flew a cropduster for 15 years and you're out of pilots!! You need me!"
We can only hope.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:

IIRC the first time this movie was revealed it was part of an announcement of a bunch of Chinese movie studios getting together to fund a WW2 based film for the American market.

I half-joked they were going to find someway to shoehorn in a famous Chinese actor playing a pilot who participated in the Battle of Midway but seeing as how part of this film is the Doolittle Raid I now wouldn't be surprised if the landing in China part was a good chunk of the piece.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Attacking the Japanese fleet ain't like dusting crops, kid! Without precise skills you could fly right through flak or bounce off the water surface and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
I had a friend who told this story about seeing the 1976 version of Midway, accompanied by a WW2 Navy pilot:

The battle was raging and the theater was throbbing with the sound of it all. In a brief lull, the pilot leaned over and said to my friend: "Charlie, I was at the battle of Midway, and it wasn't this loud."
I wonder if that is apocryphal, because I heard the same thing about Dunkirk. Of course, it's also true for both movies, so who knows?

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 07-10-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I wonder if that is apocryphal...
I'm pretty sure this one happened - I met the Navy pilot in question, who indeed was at the battle of Midway.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:44 PM

"Welcome to Midway!"
*Punches downed Zero pilot*
Old 07-10-2019, 02:08 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
IIRC the first time this movie was revealed it was part of an announcement of a bunch of Chinese movie studios getting together to fund a WW2 based film for the American market.

I half-joked they were going to find someway to shoehorn in a famous Chinese actor playing a pilot who participated in the Battle of Midway but seeing as how part of this film is the Doolittle Raid I now wouldn't be surprised if the landing in China part was a good chunk of the piece.
The film is in post production so Iím assuming the cast is known. IMDB lists one actor with a Chinese sounding last name. Heís American, is only listed as ďlocal commanderĒ, and only has one other credit. Iím going to use my crystal ball and say there will be one brief scene on the ground in China with some Chinese extras. All other Asian actors that have been named are either Japanese or of Japanese descent and playing historical Japanese characters. It doesnít look like it will turn into The Meg.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post

I wasn't at the Battle of Midway, but I do remember seeing the movie in 1976. It was freakin' deafening! As I recall it was one of a handful of movies where they used special speakers called "Sensurround" (or something like that). People in the theater next door watching a different movie complained to the management they could barely focus on the movie because of all the noise and vibration coming from the Midway film.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:43 PM

I’m probably going to hate this movie. It won’t be accurate enough. But I’ll see it, because I think that dive bomber attack at the end of the preview was Dick Best’s fantastic dive on Akagi. I’ll see the movie just for that.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Carl View Post
Iím probably going to hate this movie. It wonít be accurate enough. But Iíll see it, because I think that dive bomber attack at the end of the preview was Dick Bestís fantastic dive on Akagi. Iíll see the movie just for that.
Or, you can wait a few months and stream it at home. It may even end up on YouTube.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:51 PM

I watched the preview again. Typically, CGI fleets consist of just a few ship types repeated many times over. I recall one movie that depicted a vast WW2 US fleet as having a dozen or more Iowa class battleships (only 4 were made). I’m sure it’s cheaper that way, and most viewers are not ship dorks like me, and don’t care. The Midway preview is better; the USN and IJN ships are correct for the period, and for the battle.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Iím probably going to hate this movie. It wonít be accurate enough. But Iíll see it, because I think that dive bomber attack at the end of the preview was Dick Bestís fantastic dive on Akagi. Iíll see the movie just for that.
They'll screw it up somehow. Maybe throw a couple of TIE fighters attacking him on the way down.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
I watched the preview again. Typically, CGI fleets consist of just a few ship types repeated many times over. I recall one movie that depicted a vast WW2 US fleet as having a dozen or more Iowa class battleships (only 4 were made). Iím sure itís cheaper that way, and most viewers are not ship dorks like me, and donít care. The Midway preview is better; the USN and IJN ships are correct for the period, and for the battle.
Since itís in post production now and not due for several months the CGI may not be set yet.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:18 PM

If that is Ensign Gay that is coming up the water surface with a wave punching “Wooo!” I will demand my money back. Everyone in his squadron is dead, he needs to hide from the rest of the Japanese fleet, and this is what he’s doing?

Punching the water in excitement after seeing the Japanese fleet get bombed makes more sense, and happened In The 1976 movie IIRC.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Or, you can wait a few months and stream it at home. It may even end up on YouTube.
If I see it, I want to watch it on the big screen. I think the last time I did that was with The Hateful Eight (or maybe Fury).
Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 AM

0:21, enjoyed seeing the zeroes strafing city streets from an altitude of ten feet, with inches of clearance on either wingtip. Looks like it'll be straight out of the Michael Bay School of Film-making.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:17 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
If that is Ensign Gay that is coming up the water surface with a wave punching ďWooo!Ē I will demand my money back. Everyone in his squadron is dead, he needs to hide from the rest of the Japanese fleet, and this is what heís doing?

Punching the water in excitement after seeing the Japanese fleet get bombed makes more sense, and happened In The 1976 movie IIRC.
ďThankfully, the U.S. Navy needed less than an hour to shift the winds of war in the Pacific. Around 10:20 a.m., three squadrons of dive bombers from Enterprise and Yorktown arrived at the battle site, perfectly positioned to attack the Japanese carriers. With a grandstand seat for the ensuing action, Gay watched and cheered as the Kaga, Akagi, and Sōryū all sustained fatal bomb hits and turned into floating cauldrons of searing flames and secondary explosionĒ

https://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive....y-june-4-1942/

Iíll have to try and find his own words but thatís how I remember the accounts. He cheered.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
ďThankfully, the U.S. Navy needed less than an hour to shift the winds of war in the Pacific. Around 10:20 a.m., three squadrons of dive bombers from Enterprise and Yorktown arrived at the battle site, perfectly positioned to attack the Japanese carriers. With a grandstand seat for the ensuing action, Gay watched and cheered as the Kaga, Akagi, and Sōryū all sustained fatal bomb hits and turned into floating cauldrons of searing flames and secondary explosionĒ

https://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive....y-june-4-1942/

Iíll have to try and find his own words but thatís how I remember the accounts. He cheered.
Ok here is an interview. At around 5:45 he says he was ďCheering like at a football game.Ē Iím not sure if that means ďWooĒ but close enough.

https://youtu.be/A7iod8O_ga0
Old 07-15-2019, 09:45 AM

Cheering when the attack succeed is expected. Cheering when you just resurfaced after seeing all your friends die around you? Not so much.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:11 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
Cheering when the attack succeed is expected. Cheering when you just resurfaced after seeing all your friends die around you? Not so much.
In the trailer there is a cut. One shot of someone heading towards the surface. Cut. Shot of someone looking into the distance cheering. Time will tell but I donít think your assessment is correct.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
0:21, enjoyed seeing the zeroes strafing city streets from an altitude of ten feet, with inches of clearance on either wingtip. Looks like it'll be straight out of the Michael Bay School of Film-making.
Yeah, that is the impression I got from that shot.