Old 07-13-2019, 10:47 PM

Sadly, I think Star Citizen IS becoming the "future" of gaming. That is to say, grandiose, crowd-sourced, early alpha release, open world games that promise unprecedented levels of interactivity and content and ultimately either fall short or wallow in development indefinitely. I've seen this in both the "sci fi universe simulator" genre with games like Spore, Space Engineers, No Mans Sky, Elite Dangerous and others as well as the survival genre with games like DayZ, H1Z1, Rust, SCUM, etc.

I don't think it has anything to do with "creatives" vs "beancounters". It has more to do with a) being able to turn an abstract concept into an actual playable game and b) the difficulty in creating a real working universe with enough content to actually be interesting.

What seems to happen is these games linger on for years in a sort of development hell with a user community divided between "fuck these scam artists" and "this game will be awesome when it's finally released". At some point, the development house declares "Mission Accomplished" and some buggy, crappy version of the game gets "released". Maybe a version is also ported over to XBox or Playstation. Of course, by then no one cares because no one plays it anymore.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:19 PM

There are games like Star Citizen, and games like Subnautica. The future isn’t all doom.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

And games that continuously receive new features after release aren't necessarily a bad thing. Innovate and keep players interested or stagnate and die.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Developers of online games also need some leeway when players start behaving in ways not sufficiently anticipated. All the min/maxers in CoH, for example.

ISTM, the only really broken part of Elite is the background simulation (BGS). Some of this is caused by bored griefers exploiting loopholes in the BGS, some by deliberate interference from haxxors.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
And games that continuously receive new features after release aren't necessarily a bad thing.
(bolding mine) And on that note, Star Citizen finally announced the release date of their gameannounced yet another update-Alpha 3.6, a complete Law and Crime System overhaul, as described here. Damn thing is more complicated than real life.
And you'll need to download a new launcher, too.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:00 PM

The bug fixes in that update show how unpolished that alpha is. It’s truly an alpha.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
And games that continuously receive new features after release aren't necessarily a bad thing. Innovate and keep players interested or stagnate and die.
I think that's fine, so long as "features and content" aren't really "shit that should have been in the game from the initial release date".

There's just too much unfinished games being passed off as "the future of PC gaming" simply based on what people think the pre-release alpha version "might" become.

Even looking at one of my favorite city-builder games of all time, Cities: Skylines (which has like a 9/10 rating) is actually kind of crap in its unmodded, no DLC form. And I don't just mean user-generated visual content that lets you add a Starbucks or the architecture of Paris to your city. I mean mods that fundamentally change the interface or even way the game is played, but have become essential parts of the game. Stuff like managing traffic or just making the graphics not look like oversatured, non-aliased crap. An argument can be made that much of that work should have been completed by the developers. Particularly as the software company doesn't maintain them and you are SOL if the next version of the game causes those mods to break something and the author has moved on with his life.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
I think that's fine, so long as "features and content" aren't really "shit that should have been in the game from the initial release date".
There's a difference between "shit that should have been in" and "shit that been promised to be in but wasn't".

The former can usually be bypassed by waiting for a GOTY edition rather than being one of those gamers who feel they absolutely must buy whatever is the next big thing coming to market, especially if the publisher is well known for putting out a bunch of DLC (e.g.: EA and Bethesda).

Anyway, I primarily meant online games. At least some publishers are attempting to put in everything that had been promised; ain't no way in hell Star Citizen is going to have everything that's been promised without being a quagmire.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-23-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
(bolding mine) And on that note, Star Citizen finally announced the release date of their gameannounced yet another update-Alpha 3.6, a complete Law and Crime System overhaul, as described here. Damn thing is more complicated than real life.
And you'll need to download a new launcher, too.
Seems like every time there's a new alpha, someone has written a new article criticizing the game.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

There evidently was a new trailer last week, focusing on a base defense weapon. And here's a Czech article from a few days ago, criticizing the game.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-08-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:22 AM

In a stunning twist, the Squadron 42 beta has been pushed back three months. Also, there's a new ship you can buy for 675 bucks.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:12 AM

I wish I was confident that $675 was a joke, but I'm not. How long did the Fyre Festival guy get sentenced to prison for his scam? Six months? That's probably something Chris Roberts should consider.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Actually, you had to spend a wee bit more than $675 to buy that $675 ship. From here:
Quote:
On Saturday, Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium Games announced, at a special dinner in Frankfurt, Germany, a new ship with a mine-laying mechanic coming to the game. It will be called Aegis Nautilus Solstice. And the price of Aegis Nautilus Solstice? $675. The price of the tickets to attend the ship’s announcement? $274.73. The minimum one would have to spend on Star Citizen to gain special access to buy a ticket? $1000. In total, a Star Citizen player would have to spend $1949.73 at the very least to attend the dinner and purchase the yet-to-be-released in-game spaceship with a yet-to-be-implemented feature in a game that still doesn’t have a full release.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Let's all be honest here. Who wishes they had come up with this scam earlier?
Old 08-31-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I wish I was confident that $675 was a joke, but I'm not. How long did the Fyre Festival guy get sentenced to prison for his scam? Six months? That's probably something Chris Roberts should consider.
Except these people aren't "buying" anything. They're 'pledging' money towards the development of the game and are receiving virtual goods in return. As long as the game remains 'in development,' RSI never has to deliver on any of these products. Even if, ten years down the road, the entirety of RSI ends up being Chris Roberts fiddling with code for an hour a day before hanging out on a beach somewhere.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:42 PM

Granted, I don't know the specifics of the mechanics, but mine laying is the type of thing I'd associate with the worst kind of PvPish trolling, if it's not very carefully done.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Star Citizen Developer Adopts Staggered Development... How is this news? They did that a couple years back, when they announced that Squadron 42 would be released first to generate more cash flow for Star Citizen.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:37 PM

Did they ever release Squadron 42 or just announce that it would be released?
Old 09-01-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Did they ever release Squadron 42 or just announce that it would be released?
They announced that it would be released first, not when.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Granted, I don't know the specifics of the mechanics, but mine laying is the type of thing I'd associate with the worst kind of PvPish trolling, if it's not very carefully done.
In this case, though, the trolling is being done to the people who buy it, which I consider an improvement. I think it's pretty obvious at this point that nobody's ever going to get any of this stuff, at least not in anything like the expected form. I think you'd have better odds buying a lottery ticket with the intent to fund a dev team to build you a game if you win...
Old 09-30-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You no longer have to look like an idiot paying hundreds of dollars for virtual ships.
You can now rent pretend ships using real money.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Let's all be honest here. Who wishes they had come up with this scam earlier?
I kinda do, too, but it would have required thirty years of work, including making some brilliant games. The only reason Chris Roberts can do all this is that he's Chris Roberts, the man who created "Wing Commander," a seminal entry in PC game history. He couldn't have gotten $200 million - couldn't have gotten a tenth of that - without that pedigree. He was a kid, really, I think just 22 when Wing Commander came out, and it was a sensation. My middle-aged Dad couldn't stop playing it. The sequels also pushed the envelope of what PC games could be.

Almost all the money, I have no doubt, is coming from guys like me (I hadn't spend a penny - guys LIKE me) who remember "Wing Commander" and get the idea, and it''s quite an awesome idea. Idea being the key word.

Since then, to a large extent, he's been trying to do the same thing. "Strike Commander" is "Wing Commander" in F-16s; "Starlancer" is more "Wing Commander," and "Freelancer" is still more "Wing Commander." "Star Citizen" is still more "Wing Commander," just way open ended, at least in theory.

Last edited by RickJay; 09-30-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Since then, to a large extent, he's been trying to do the same thing. "Strike Commander" is "Wing Commander" in F-16s

That was him? I had no idea, I quite enjoyed that. It came bundled with our PC along with Syndicate and one of the other Wing Commander games that I unfortunately didn't get around to playing.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Since then, to a large extent, he's been trying to do the same thing. "Strike Commander" is "Wing Commander" in F-16s; "Starlancer" is more "Wing Commander," and "Freelancer" is still more "Wing Commander." "Star Citizen" is still more "Wing Commander," just way open ended, at least in theory.
That's the funny thing. If he had showed up and said "I'm gonna make a new space flight game! It's going to be a single player, narrative experience, and we're gonna call it Squadron Leader for copyright reasons!" I would have said "Take my money!"

But he DIDN'T. He showed up and said "I'm gonna make a new space flight game! It's going to be an MMO! And a single player game! And you'll be able to land on planets and space stations and walk around! And man a super star destroyer with your friends! And it will come with free ponies! And two chickens in every pot! And ray-traced mip-mapped flight sticks! And.... and... and..." and he just KEPT PILING stuff on there, and after about the third absurd "no one has ever done this before" feature (which was nowhere near the last) I went "Nope, this is impossible, and also, it's no longer remotely the game I want, let alone the game I trust you, Chris Roberts, to make."

Yes, no one thought Wing Commander could be done either, but that was only ONE impossible thing before breakfast....and Mr. Roberts has a long string of Basically Failures once he put that series down.

Last edited by Airk; 10-08-2019 at 02:16 PM.