Old 05-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Entangled
Charter Member

Hate for Hillary - from where and why.

As a Canadian and as someone who had never been terribly interested in such things, I didn't use to pay a lot of attention to US politics. Even so, I could see that Hillary was truly hated by some. But I never thought to ask why. Why was she so absolutely loathed by so many? Why did such deep hatred start? It was more than the usual political mudslinging, no?

Other than the fact that she represented the threat of a Democratic victory (by a 'leftist' woman no less), were there any particular unforgiveables in the minds of her detractors? I know about Benghazi, but what motivated that and other relentless lines of inquiry? Had she already committed some unpardonable sin in the eyes of those who pursue her even to this day?

Is it all about baking cookies? Or was it just a matter of opportunity - the internet allowing whole new levels of self-perpetuating, bootstrapping vitriol to emerge? Was it just a matter of timing? Was she just first victim of a new normal?
Old 05-26-2019, 08:48 AM

I think it dates back to the 90s and the Clinton campaign and administration. She put herself forward as policy advisor (even a policy maker) and equal, and many (those with misogynistic and chauvinistic tendencies) found that highly objectionable. Others knew they could take advantage of widespread misogyny and chauvinism to make Hillary an "easy" target. When she ran for office, that took off into even higher gear, with the expectation that she would eventually run for president.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:58 AM

What iiandyiiii said, and also can't forget Rush Limbaugh who made a living riding the Clinton's coattails. He rode as a parasite who required a bad guy to fight against, and he used them. All of them. On his tv show he even showed a picture of a young Chelsea and called her the white house dog. (It's republican humor.) Rush gave the country the Clintons as the enemy of all that think republican humor is funny.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:01 AM

Because we the people will never forget Vince Foster!!!!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:17 AM

Misogyny. If there is one thing the Right can agree on, it's that powerful women are inspired by Satan. And there is special revulsion for public wives who don't stick to gazing up adoringly at their husbands. Ms. Clinton made some missteps but by and large her political life has been real-scandal free. Fake scandals pursue her like the Furies, however.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

An older woman at my bridge club recently said she didn't like Hillary Clinton because she "is so pushy. She'd knock you over to get at what she wants." When I asked her if she'd say the same thing about a man she had no response.

It was the same old prejudices that were fanned by those who knew how to exploit them.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:46 AM

Several elections ago, interviewers went door-to-door with potential voters, asking which candidate they would vote for and why. The Canadians frequently dissed one Prime Ministerial candidate, quoting word for word what the negative advertising said... while insisting they were not being influenced by the very advertising they were quoting. In short, humans are very easily influenced.

Trump will repeat lies that have been debunked, because if he says it often enough people will still believe it. Infinite Pinnochio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
As a Canadian and as someone who had never been terribly interested in such things, I didn't use to pay a lot of attention to US politics. Even so, I could see that Hillary was truly hated by some. But I never thought to ask why. Why was she so absolutely loathed by so many? Why did such deep hatred start? It was more than the usual political mudslinging, no?

Other than the fact that she represented the threat of a Democratic victory (by a 'leftist' woman no less), were there any particular unforgiveables in the minds of her detractors? I know about Benghazi, but what motivated that and other relentless lines of inquiry? Had she already committed some unpardonable sin in the eyes of those who pursue her even to this day?

Is it all about baking cookies? Or was it just a matter of opportunity - the internet allowing whole new levels of self-perpetuating, bootstrapping vitriol to emerge? Was it just a matter of timing? Was she just first victim of a new normal?

Hillary Clinton made the "mistake" of supporting health care back in the 90s. A first spouse is not an electoral position, so her getting the position was basically nepotism. She seemed pretty good on the policy side but not so much on the politics side (which never changed). You can't seriously expect a fiercely intelligent lawyer to act as some kind of ceremonial housewife for the eight years her husband was president. For whatever reason healthcare makes some conservatives scream, and they went on to influence (see first paragraph) their voters. Even the less gullible ones would later on believe in death panels and such nonsense, since they'd heard these comments so often they were now swimming in their collective subconscious.

Her being female put a target on her back. Well, her being female and wanting to be something more than a political housewife. She was criticized for keeping her maiden name (I understand that she isn't Mrs. Clinton, and just calls herself that for political purposes), for not smiling enough, for not being submissive, for being heard and not just seen, for standing by her man, and so forth.

There were even some valid criticisms, such as lies about what happened to her in Bosnia or the email server (an over-the-top attempt to break the records rules, which honestly are kind of stupid considering how many people essentially openly break those rules). She was the target of this kind of propaganda for decades, and when she geared up to run for president (such as becoming a senator, and later Secretary of State) the conservative drumbeat became a panic. Then she ran for president. The same old lies came out, plus new ones, all flying at the speed of the internet. She isn't very charismatic and is gaffe-prone, so there was new material to add to the old.

When I think of gaffes, I think of Rick Perry, but not the oops gaffe. I'm thinking of the mannequin gaffe. During the campaign, Perry attended an event in a small town. He joked about a mannequin near the audience being the most interested, or something like that. It wasn't all that funny, but it didn't fall flat. The journalists, who were live-filming the event onto social media, all got the joke. People watching on social media did not. Because Perry had already made gaffes suggesting he wasn't very bright, those people thought he mistook the mannequin for a real human being. The journalists started getting emails and tweets asking if Perry was such a dunce. The incredulous journalists said no, it was just a joke. Perry's press people said the same thing. Unfortunately people hundreds of miles away were spreading stories that Perry had stepped in it again. Modern-day journalists will often be told by a source "this isn't true" and will then go and repeat the untruth. Even mild gaffes can become catastrophic. See Mrs. Clinton and her comments on coal jobs...

Obviously other politicians have been the target of similar attacks. Barack Obama and John Kerry are good examples of this, and Obama himself drew intense hatred due to not being white. Having said that, neither of them were in the public eye for decades, so there simply wasn't enough material or previous work to sink them like that. (Kerry, unfortunately, was only slightly ahead of Bush, so the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth didn't need to convince that many people...)
Old 05-26-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hillary is just so shrill.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I think it dates back to the 90s and the Clinton campaign and administration. She put herself forward as policy advisor (even a policy maker) and equal, and many (those with misogynistic and chauvinistic tendencies) found that highly objectionable. Others knew they could take advantage of widespread misogyny and chauvinism to make Hillary an "easy" target. When she ran for office, that took off into even higher gear, with the expectation that she would eventually run for president.
That's when the national butt-hurt for her started up, but the conservative hatred for her started long before, when she was in the Arkansas governor's mansion.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Misogyny. If there is one thing the Right can agree on, it's that powerful women are inspired by Satan. And there is special revulsion for public wives who don't stick to gazing up adoringly at their husbands. Ms. Clinton made some missteps but by and large her political life has been real-scandal free. Fake scandals pursue her like the Furies, however.
Bingo. Republicans are VERY afraid of a smart powerful woman.

eta - It appears that they are afraid of anyone that has two braincells to rub together.

Last edited by enipla; 05-26-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Keep in mind the 1992 convention speech by Pat Buchanan which was an attack on Hillary. This, to my knowledge, is the first time a candidate’s spouse has ever been attacked at a political convention. The Buchanan speech was so over the top that it set a new low in politics
Old 05-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
The Buchanan speech was so over the top that it set a new low in politics
But it probably is higher than Everest compared to the current state of politics.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Keep in mind the 1992 convention speech by Pat Buchanan which was an attack on Hillary. This, to my knowledge, is the first time a candidateís spouse has ever been attacked at a political convention. The Buchanan speech was so over the top that it set a new low in politics
Buchanan's speech was all kinds of over-the-top, especially in the anti-LGBTQ arena. I believe it was Molly Ivins who said that it played better in the original German.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
An older woman at my bridge club recently said she didn't like Hillary Clinton because she "is so pushy. She'd knock you over to get at what she wants." When I asked her if she'd say the same thing about a man she had no response.

It was the same old prejudices that were fanned by those who knew how to exploit them.
I've run into a few of these. If you want to have a little fun, say something like, "Oh, so you have no problem with a woman being president, just not Hillary Clinton?" You are sure to be met with quick agreement. "So what woman would you find acceptable to be president?"

You will be met with a long pause. If they manage to muster anyone -- and they usually don't -- it will be Nikki Haley.

Lots of good responses here.

I always remember an interesting bit of research done into Clinton's approval ratings. The researcher found that when Hillary was actually doing the job, whether as First Lady, Senator of New York or Secretary of State, her approval ratings were sky high. It was only when she asked for the power to do those jobs that her approval ratings reliably plummeted.

Pushy woman.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:28 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Thank you for all the responses. I've learned a lot and look forward to reading more.

ETA: I wonder how Republicans and their supporters will characterize the Democratic nominee for president if a woman is chosen, which is very possible.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 05-26-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shrill.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I think the American political scene has been ready for a female candidate for some time now, but the woman our society has been ready for would exemplify traditionally feminine virtues. The problem people had with Hillary Clinton was not that she was a woman, but that she was a female politician. No worse than her male politician colleagues, she was a consummate backroom game player, manipulator, strategic horse trader, deal-maker, etc.

Radical leftists didn't like her very much: "She won't die on the appropriate hills! She'll trade away important stuff to keep on top and stay in charge and keep winning! We can't trust her not to sell us out on our issues!"

Mainstream liberals weren't in love with her: "She doesn't have appropriate decorum. We'd like a woman to be in charge for a change but dammit does she have to act like she really really wants to run the show? That makes her look power-hungry"

Conservatives seriously fucking hated her: "Eww, she's got a liberal feminist agenda and she's cunning and sneaky and devious and she's determined to impose all these horrible liberal politics on us!"

The conservatives were closest to being right about her politics. Although the Republicans had everything locked up so tight she may not have been able to get any more done than Obama did. Which was a lot more than I realized at the time, by the way.

Last edited by AHunter3; 05-26-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Radical leftists didn't like her very much: "She won't die on the appropriate hills! She'll trade away important stuff to keep on top and stay in charge and keep winning! We can't trust her not to sell us out on our issues!"
Those on the left, even the ones at the egde of the spectrum don't hate her to an exclamation point degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Conservatives seriously fucking hated her: "Eww, she's got a liberal feminist agenda and she's cunning and sneaky and devious and she's determined to impose all these horrible liberal politics on us!"

The conservatives were closest to being right about her politics. ...
Oh, perhaps you have a few examples of the "liberal feminist agenda" that right wingers feel sets her apart from any other lefty?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Those on the left, even the ones at the egde of the spectrum don't hate her to an exclamation point degree.
Even the ones that voted for Trump over her?
Quote:

Oh, perhaps you have a few examples of the "liberal feminist agenda" that right wingers feel sets her apart from any other lefty?
She is, and continues to be, a member of the female gender.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:35 PM

I think that anyone who voted for Trump for pres. and considers themselves to be on the left might ask themselves what it is they actually believe.

Last edited by bobot; 05-26-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post

I think those two posts are a good brief summary of a major part of the reason. The latter sums up the fact that we are still a society where an aggressive, assertive man is admired, while an exactly equally predisposed woman gets nasty derogatory names assigned to her, like "bitch" and "shrew". This was very helpful to Republicans who needed to knock her down because her political strengths and experience were perceived as a real threat.

Compounding the problem is that voters aren't very bright and tend to judge candidates on superficial qualities, and Hillary just didn't have a lot of charisma. She was so politically cautious in her speech that she came across as mendacious and calculating (though she really blew it with the "deplorables" comment). In contrast to Obama, who had a smile so warm and a laugh so genuine that it could melt ice a mile away, Hillary had a laugh that sounded like a panicked hen. She just wasn't very likeable if judged on superficial qualities, and that really sealed her fate. Dismissing her as insincere and calculating, voters instead elected the most egregious conman of all time to ever infest the White House.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I think that anyone who voted for Trump for pres. and considers themselves to be on the left might ask themselves what it is they actually believe.
Well, what I heard during the election was that they were against incremental change, as incremental change wasn't good enough, and that they wanted to burn it all down and build on the ashes.

My response to that was of course that anyone who wants to burn it down and rebuild from the ashes has never built anything before, and has never been in a fire before.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:22 PM

Dems managed to nominate someone who had been bashed non stop for 24 years before they ran for president. Hopefully they can avoid that in the future.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Well, what I heard during the election was that they were against incremental change, as incremental change wasn't good enough, and that they wanted to burn it all down and build on the ashes.

My response to that was of course that anyone who wants to burn it down and rebuild from the ashes has never built anything before, and has never been in a fire before.
Ask them what "rebuilding" they're seeing. Are they thrilled with their awesome new health care plans, which I understand were going to be "something terrific"? All I see is a lot of burning down and destruction, and not even the remotest idea of a plan for rebuilding anything or capability for doing it. I'm also seeing a Supreme Court increasingly populated with far-right imbeciles, and state abortion laws now seeking to overturn Roe v Wade. There is no rebuilding that's going to happen now or in any foreseeable future; what's going to happen is a tremendously costly program of repair and restoration when adults hopefully start running the place in 2021.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Thank you for all the responses. I've learned a lot and look forward to reading more.

ETA: I wonder how Republicans and their supporters will characterize the Democratic nominee for president if a woman is chosen, which is very possible.
If you've learned from this thread, you've learned the wrong things. Take note that much like many of its kind, what you have in this thread are caricatures of what folks think the other side thinks. Maybe inquire with 2016 Sanders voters why they preferred him over her.

Simply attributing her disfavor with misogyny is lazy.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
If you've learned from this thread, you've learned the wrong things. Take note that much like many of its kind, what you have in this thread are caricatures of what folks think the other side thinks. Maybe inquire with 2016 Sanders voters why they preferred him over her.

Not her disfavor -- but the incredible white-hot hatred that goes far beyond the typical dislike that conservatives have for liberals and Democrats. That's what I think it's reasonable to attribute to misogyny -- just like birtherism and the other nonsense that went beyond typical dislike for liberals against Obama can reasonably be attributed to racism. Not everyone who dislikes Hillary Clinton is a misogynist, but those who really, really hate her and were influenced to that hatred by Rush Limbaugh and similar, likely have been strongly influenced by misogyny.

Basically, do you agree that Rush Limbaugh (and others like him) has put out a highly misogynistic picture of Hillary Clinton over the years? If so, do you agree that he has had strong influence with millions of conservatives? If so, then that's pretty much all I'm arguing.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-26-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Not her disfavor -- but the incredible white-hot hatred that goes far beyond the typical dislike that conservatives have for liberals and Democrats. That's what I think it's reasonable to attribute to misogyny -- just like birtherism and the other nonsense that went beyond typical dislike for liberals against Obama can reasonably be attributed to racism. Not everyone who dislikes Hillary Clinton is a misogynist, but those who really, really hate her and were influenced to that hatred by Rush Limbaugh and similar, likely have been strongly influenced by misogyny.

Basically, do you agree that Rush Limbaugh (and others like him) has put out a highly misogynistic picture of Hillary Clinton over the years? If so, do you agree that he has had strong influence with millions of conservatives? If so, then that's pretty much all I'm arguing.
It's hard to recognize misogyny when you agree with the politics of the misogynists. At that point, they are just stating the obvious.

Last edited by k9bfriender; 05-26-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:41 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:

All I know is that every single time you invoke "reasonable", I discount whatever comes next.

Sure, lots of misogynists hated Clinton. A lot of non-misogynists hated Clinton. Put it together, and you have a giant nothing that isn't informative.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:43 PM

Yeah, maybe conservatives who hate Hillary might post some of their valid reasons here. Valid reasons, now. I'll wait, without holding my breath.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, maybe conservatives who hate Hillary might post some of their valid reasons here. Valid reasons, now. I'll wait, without holding my breath.
That's easy, judges, judges, judges. They want activist judges to protect their guns and outlaw abortion, and they are more than willing to invoke misogyny, as well as racism and other forms of hatred, to get their way. They don't have to be misogynists themselves, in fact, I suspect, many are not. They just pander to the misogynists for political points.

Nothing else matters, no matter how the world burns.

Last edited by k9bfriender; 05-26-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
All I know is that every single time you invoke "reasonable", I discount whatever comes next.
Apologies for triggering you! I'll certainly keep in mind that you're incapable of reasonably evaluating my posts in the future.
Quote:
Sure, lots of misogynists hated Clinton. A lot of non-misogynists hated Clinton. Put it together, and you have a giant nothing that isn't informative.
I guess there's no point in discussing things like misogyny and racism with regards to attitudes about public figures, then. Obviously these things are inscrutable mysteries that will remain enigmas forever. No point in trying to, say, use our brains to explore these things.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-26-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone explicitly asserted that misogyny was the sole explanation for Hillary's problems. I certainly didn't, and provided other explanations. But the general theme underlying all of them is that voters were being superficial and not acting on a well-informed rational basis. If you believe they were, then you have to believe that they chose as their president the person who was intellectually and morally best equipped to lead their country. Do you think they did that?
Old 05-26-2019, 06:10 PM

I wonder if ó and I donít mean that rhetorically, I mean Iím genuinely wondering, because I truly donít know how big the overlap is ó thereís been a study of how many folks would poll as never being willing to support Hillary Clinton, and who voted for McCain/Palin (possibly while saying, hey, Iím maybe not 100% on McCain; but, wow, Palin, sheís solidly on the right side of issues that sure matter to me).
Old 05-26-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I wonder if ó and I donít mean that rhetorically, I mean Iím genuinely wondering, because I truly donít know how big the overlap is ó thereís been a study of how many folks would poll as never being willing to support Hillary Clinton, and who voted for McCain/Palin (possibly while saying, hey, Iím maybe not 100% on McCain; but, wow, Palin, sheís solidly on the right side of issues that sure matter to me).
I'm sure there are lots of such folks, but I don't see how this would necessarily rule out misogyny. There are lots of racists who like or would even vote for certain specific black people; similarly lots of misogynists might like or even vote for certain specific women. My point is just that folks like Rush Limbaugh dominated the national media conversation about Hillary Clinton for many years, and the message they were pushing was misogynistic, and such a message with millions of devoted listeners is likely to have some sort of resonance.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:30 PM
Extrajudicial

I never listened to Rush but I do know that Clinton pushed the idea of "it takes a village". She is vehemently anti gun. She pushed for greater governmental involvement with health care. She has had problems with the first amendment, wanting to ban violent video games. I mean I have always been opposed to Clinton. I'd be opposed to anyone who held her policy views.

Opposition to Clinton is often characterized as misogynistic. It's a given that motivated some people, but defaulting to that is just lazy. There's a ton from her to be opposed to. But it all started with her nannyistic arrogant BS about taking a village crap.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I never listened to Rush but I do know that Clinton pushed the idea of "it takes a village". She is vehemently anti gun. She pushed for greater governmental involvement with health care. She has had problems with the first amendment, wanting to ban violent video games. I mean I have always been opposed to Clinton. I'd be opposed to anyone who held her policy views.

Opposition to Clinton is often characterized as misogynistic. It's a given that motivated some people, but defaulting to that is just lazy. There's a ton from her to be opposed to.
None of this conflicts with anything I've said.

Quote:
But it all started with her nannyistic arrogant BS about taking a village crap.
Perhaps this is a reasonable hypothesis.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

It is 90% how dangerous that person is to the GOP. Hillary was very dangerous, was winning, so the Kremlin and Karl rove and co went into overdrive making shit up and stirring up hate. Fake news, lies, half-truths, exaggerations. The bernie bros happily passed along the Kremlins lies.

Pelosi was the second most dangerous dem, and much hate fake news was directed at her, and it's still ongoing.

Currently with Biden in the lead, he's the preferred fake news and target. Bernie Bros helping the GOP out, just like four years ago. For example, Joe is the "go to guy" on capital Hill for eulogies, he was asked to give one for Thurmond. Joe obviously struggled hard to come up with some good that that old racist did, but he found a few, and gave a decent eulogy, as any decent human being would. Biden is being attacked for that as a "friend of Thurmond" and a "friend of racism", even right her on this MB, even tho what he did is what any decent human being would do.

And so it goes.

Whoever is a threat is reviled. The 40& or so of the public who are GOP respond kneejerkingly by hating, along with too many independents and progressives. The GOP is very good at this, with the help of the Слу́жба вне́шней разве́дки Российской Федерации, aka the Russian CIA.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I never listened to Rush but I do know that Clinton pushed the idea of "it takes a village". ....
First on your list. Oh lord, how dare she...
"It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us is a book published in 1996 by First Lady of the United States Hillary Rodham Clinton. In it, Clinton presents her vision for the children of America. She focuses on the impact individuals and groups outside the family have, for better or worse, on a child's well-being, and advocates a society which meets all of a child's needs."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a_Village

Have you read the book? Or are you angry at the right wing shortened bumper sticker interpretation?

Last edited by bobot; 05-26-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I think it dates back to the 90s and the Clinton campaign and administration. She put herself forward as policy advisor (even a policy maker) and equal, and many (those with misogynistic and chauvinistic tendencies) found that highly objectionable.
It wasn't misogyny for a lot of people, it was the fact that she was neither elected nor appointed, but merely the First Lady, and that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

In a lot of people's minds, the First Lady has a fairly well defined role, but being a senior policy advisor and political operator is NOT one of them.

That put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, and then her defense of Bill Clinton during the whole Lewinsky business cemented in a lot of people's minds that she wasn't there as Bill's partner and wife, but someone who was using Bill as a stepping stone to political office.

And that was further reinforced by the sort of reverse-carpetbagging Senate race she ran in New York, where they literally bought a house to establish residence in order for her to run, but never really actually you know, lived in New York, since she ran for office while she was still First Lady.

It paints a picture of someone who is laser-focused on her own ambitions, and not someone who was interested in public service or anything else. A lot of people don't like that in men, but they're chauvinistic enough to HATE it in women.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:20 PM

NM
(This thread isn't about the current occupants.)

Last edited by bobot; 05-26-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
It wasn't misogyny for a lot of people, it was the fact that she was neither elected nor appointed, but merely the First Lady, and that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way......
Then I guess people have forgotten Betty Ford, Eleanor Roosevelt ,Edith Wilson, etc. Betty Ford sat in on Cabinet meetings.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Then I guess people have forgotten Betty Ford, Eleanor Roosevelt ,Edith Wilson, etc. Betty Ford sat in on Cabinet meetings.
Probably. I was not aware of this, and I doubt they were "loud" about it.

The whole First Spouse position is a ludicrous one, IMO, and other than getting a Secret Service detail, does not need to exist. Hillary Clinton (and any other first spouse) should have simply continued to work at a non-political job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Michelle LaVaughn Obama (nťe Robinson; born January 17, 1964) is an American lawyer, university administrator and writer, who was First Lady of the United States from 2009 to 2017.
Mrs. Obama was (is?) a lawyer. Unfortunately she was not "allowed" to retain that position. (I am not sure if it's actually illegal for an American first spouse to work, and IMO anti-nepotism rules should not affect the first spouse's career outside of the goernment.) Instead, her position as First Lady included diplomacy and causes (dealing with nutrition). I am not sure how her legal education assisted with the latter. I am also unsure what impact not working in her field for eight years would have on her career.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Misogyny. If there is one thing the Right can agree on, it's that powerful women are inspired by Satan.
I don't think so. Republicans nominated Palin in 2008, after all, and many touted Condi Rice, Carli Fiorina, Michelle Bachmann, Susan Martinez, etc. as presidential candidates back in the day.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:30 AM

Also, there is a longstanding Internet meme about how people who are witnesses to Clinton misdeeds inevitably end up mysteriously dead before they can give testimony. Whether there was indeed Clinton foul play or not, there are many people who are convinced that the Clintons have bumped off people who had inside knowledge of misdeeds, like the mafia bumping off would-be witnesses.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:52 AM

In a recent thread that I started, one Doper who "detests" Trump is still happy Trump beat Hillary. No explanation except that he's "not a bigot." In that thread I express sadness that my friend here also prefers Trump to Hillary. All I guessed from him is that his news source is Alex Jones or such.

So I saw the thread title, and clicked with eagerness to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida
Misogyny. If there is one thing the Right can agree on, it's that powerful women are inspired by Satan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Hillary is just so shrill.
OK. But are 'misogyny' and 'shrill' the descriptions that the Hillary haters themselves would apply? I know we have Hillary haters here; it would be nice to hear from them.

Quote:
I hope someone sends urgent PMs to the Dopers who "detest" Hillary, just in case any Dopers are holding their breaths for response.

Quote:

Opposition to Clinton is often characterized as misogynistic. It's a given that motivated some people, but defaulting to that is just lazy. There's a ton from her to be opposed to. But it all started with her nannyistic arrogant BS about taking a village crap.
Thank you, Bone ! So the "taking a village crap" is a big point. And ó why didn't we guess this? ó GUNS! are a biggy.

There are other Hillary haters here; I hope they provide their lists also.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
First on your list. Oh lord, how dare she...
"It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us is a book published in 1996 by First Lady of the United States Hillary Rodham Clinton. In it, Clinton presents her vision for the children of America. She focuses on the impact individuals and groups outside the family have, for better or worse, on a child's well-being, and advocates a society which meets all of a child's needs."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a_Village

Have you read the book? Or are you angry at the right wing shortened bumper sticker interpretation?
Some folks are angry about this because:

"Screw you buddy! I did EVERYthing myself! I built the roads outside my house with my own two hands, and taught myself to read! I designed the pipes that carry my sewage to the plant that I created all by myself, with NO HELP FROM ANYONE!"

The "I did everything myself" thought pattern is so strong in some, that their brains have turned to tapioca, and they cannot BEAR THE THOUGHT that a working, cooperative society might actually be a good thing.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I think those two posts are a good brief summary of a major part of the reason. The latter sums up the fact that we are still a society where an aggressive, assertive man is admired, while an exactly equally predisposed woman gets nasty derogatory names assigned to her, like "bitch" and "shrew".
Yes, that's why May never managed to become Prime minister. People only ever support sweet, unassertive women like, say, Angela Merkel or Margaret Thatcher...oh, wait...

As usual, I learned in this thread that the only conceivable explanation for why people don't support whatever you support is because they hate some group or another. If they weren't so filled with hate they would of course support the exact same policies you do and vote for the exact same politicians you vote for.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I think those two posts are a good brief summary of a major part of the reason. The latter sums up the fact that we are still a society where an aggressive, assertive man is admired, while an exactly equally predisposed woman gets nasty derogatory names assigned to her, like "bitch" and "shrew".
Yes, that's why May never managed to become Prime minister. People only ever support sweet, unassertive women like, say, Angela Merkel or Margaret Thatcher...oh, wait...

As usual, I learned in this thread that the only conceivable explanation for why people don't support whatever you support is because they hate some group or another. If they weren't so filled with hate they would of course support the exact same policies you do and vote for the exact same politicians you vote for.

(Not specifically directed to you but in general to most posters in this thread.)
Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Dems managed to nominate someone who had been bashed non stop for 24 years before they ran for president. Hopefully they can avoid that in the future.
I think the point of the thread is that maybe it would be good if ordinary people could sniff out bullshit smear campaigns and stop rewarding a party misogyny. And just to be clear it wasn't the party that nominated her; it was millions of voters -- a few million more than Bernie Sanders, to be precise.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:

She wasn't the first one with that opinion; she was the first person to be able to articulate it so clearly. And she was also right on the money. A healthy community that consists not only of one or two good parents but also helpful neighbors, school teachers, extended family members, and friends is almost preferable to the nuclear family model that we have now, which has resulted in rampant divorce, drug addiction, and plain misery. Americans want the world to believe that we're optimistic and chasing the American Dream, but the reality is, we're a miserably isolated, depressed, and addicted goddamn society. It does take a village.