Old 09-09-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
BTW, watching the game last night must have helped him realize the Pats don't really need him.
But the Steelers might. That ship though has already sailed, hit an iceberg, sank, and then James Cameron made a movie about it.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn
Patriots added an option year for Antonio Brown in 2020 at $20 million which becomes guaranteed if executed
Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/s...-patriots.html

This just came up regard Brown. It is behind a paywall, but it is the Times.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/s...-patriots.html

This just came up regard Brown. It is behind a paywall, but it is the Times.
Well, since it's behind a paywall, perhaps you could tell us a little bit more about it.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 PM

BREAKING: Patriots WR Antonio Brown accused of three separate incidents of sexual assault and rape, according to federal lawsuit filed Tuesday: https://t.co/wFAijgADJK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post
BREAKING: Patriots WR Antonio Brown accused of three separate incidents of sexual assault and rape, according to federal lawsuit filed Tuesday: https://t.co/wFAijgADJK

I read the article in The NY Times. Its pretty convincing and Im curious about what the Patriots knew when they signed him.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 PM

The hits just keep on coming, don’t they? I’m beginning to wonder if he’ll ever play another down in the NFL.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
The hits just keep on coming, dont they? Im beginning to wonder if hell ever play another down in the NFL.
At this point Id bet on no. This might be the final nail in the coffin, or maybe railroad spike.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:34 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Non-paywall article on SI.com, which quotes passages from the lawsuit:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/10/an...tions-patriots

Last edited by kenobi 65; 09-10-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
The hits just keep on coming, dont they? Im beginning to wonder if hell ever play another down in the NFL.
I know it's gauche to to say it, but the timing on this filing is a bit suspect.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I know it's gauche to to say it, but the timing on this filing is a bit suspect.
Was she supposed to wait till the season was over? If she really wanted to screw him she would have filled at the beginning of training camp.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post

And yet he didn't get along with Roethlisberger?!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Was she supposed to wait till the season was over?
At least until after notifying the police.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
And yet he didn't get along with Roethlisberger?!
Damn! You beat me to it.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not really. When would have been a time to file this that couldn't be interpreted that way?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
At least until after notifying the police.
Its a civil action. What do the police have to do with it?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Rape is a crime, as you may have heard. Was it ever reported?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
I read the article in The NY Times. Its pretty convincing and Im curious about what the Patriots knew when they signed him.
My favorite part of the story (as reported by ESPN):
Quote:
Taylor (Brown's accuser) was a gymnast at Central Michigan, where Brown attended college. According to the lawsuit, they met in a Bible study group at the school and became friends
Pray or prey?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Two things though... First, these aren’t old claims. The alleged incidents occurred in 2017 and 2018. It’s not like she is claiming this happened in college. And even if they were old, it’s not unusual for a sexual assault victim to be nervous about reporting a crime. There is still a stigma against victims (which is horrible) and there is shame involved. Plus if you accuse a rich and famous person, they can afford a strong defense and now all of his fans are your enemies.

As far as whether or not filing it now was strategic, I’m sure it was and that was smart. This was filed at a time when everyone has been hearing about how erratic he is. He is particularly vulnerable and you strike when the iron is hot. Also, if you think the timing was meant to hurt him (career-wise) and was vindictive, I’m sure it was. But if I was a sexual assault victim I’d probably be a teeny-tiny but vindictive myself, wouldn’t you?

I don’t think the timing in any way casts doubt on the allegations. The truth about them (whether they happened or not) should be borne out through testimony, evidence, and investigations.

Last edited by Atamasama; 09-11-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
And even if they were old, its not unusual for a sexual assault victim to be nervous about reporting a crime.
She can make herself file a lawsuit, with all the pending publicity, but is too nervous to tell the police? What's the normal reaction by someone who's been assaulted - to call 911 or to sue?

Quote:
I dont think the timing in any way casts doubt on the allegations. The truth about them (whether they happened or not) should be borne out through testimony, evidence, and investigations.
All of which would have been brought out by a police investigation. Without that, who's gonna do it and what's gonna be the admissible evidence?

So why wasn't any of it reported? There's a possible reason that doesn't fit your views. This may be real, but there's at least good reason to suspect otherwise.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 AM

I don’t think it’s odd for her to wait, but I do think it’s odd for her to bring a lawsuit while not going to law enforcement. An interesting analysis of the case is here:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/11/pa...former-trainer

The article is by SI’s legal analyst. He does point out that the fact that this is a lawsuit and not a criminal accusation means that to the NFL, it has a “lower burden of persuasion” and that “a civil lawsuit should not be regarded as the equivalent of a criminal charge”.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I don’t think it’s odd for her to wait, but I do think it’s odd for her to bring a lawsuit while not going to law enforcement. An interesting analysis of the case is here:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/11/pa...former-trainer

The article is by SI’s legal analyst. He does point out that the fact that this is a lawsuit and not a criminal accusation means that to the NFL, it has a “lower burden of persuasion” and that “a civil lawsuit should not be regarded as the equivalent of a criminal charge”.
Yeah, you might well go the civil route because sexual offences that occurred in private between people who knew each other are typically hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Just because it's a crime and the statute of limitations hasn't run out doesn't obligate a victim to go solely the criminal route or that route first.

Also the civil court system exists on the idea that victims might be entitled to monetary compensation (and not only money directly taken from them), not just the knowledge that the wrongdoer has to go to jail.

So on both counts filing a civil suit before criminal charges doesn't IMO by itself make the accusations suspect. And like the article says, the local authorities could then follow the civil case and pursue criminal charges if they think they can make them stick.

But the charges could be untrue or not wholly true. How would any of us know that? Just saying, the idea 'the person wants money' isn't that relevant in itself. If the allegations are true and the person suffered, why shouldn't they get money from a wealthy wrongdoer if the law allows it? The question is whether it's (wholly) true.

Last edited by Corry El; 09-11-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Regardless of whether these allegations are true, Brown is an ass and I wish he were not on my home team. If they do turn out to be true, he should be fired immediately, arrested, and never allowed to play football again. But without a real criminal investigation, I don't know that we'll ever know, so he'll likely stay on, unfortunately. Blech.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Brown's response, ftr:
Quote:
Brown has vehemently denied the allegations in a statement released Tuesday evening via his lawyer Darren Heitner. According to the statement, Brown plans to “pursue all legal remedies” to clear his name. Heitner tweeted later Tuesday night that Brown will “leave no stone unturned and will aggressively defend himself, including exercising all of his rights in countersuits.” ESPN’s Josina Anderson reported Tuesday night that Brown intends to countersue Taylor for civil extortion.

According to the statement from Brown’s legal team, Taylor asked Brown in 2017 to invest $1.6 million dollars in her “business project.”

“Mr. Brown was not informed by his accuser that she had just been levied with a $30,000 IRS tax lien or that $300,000 of the $1.6 million so-called ‘investment’’ was to be used to purchase property already owned by the accuser and her mother,” read the statement.

When Brown refused to make the investment, the statement says, Taylor stopped contacting him until 2018, when she offered to help him train for the upcoming season.

“Thereafter, the accuser engaged Mr. Brown in a consensual personal relationship,” read the statement. “Any sexual interaction with Mr. Brown was entirely consensual.”

According to the statement, Taylor traveled to Brown’s residences on multiple occasions, maintained communication with Brown throughout 2018, and continually posted photos of Brown on her social media accounts.

In May 2018, the statement says, Taylor invited herself to party with Brown and friends at a Miami club. The pair then returned to Brown’s residence and engaged in consensual sex, according to the statement.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:04 PM

I've been as harsh on AB as anyone else in this thread, but this lawsuit and the allegations don't really pass the smell test for me. The timing of the lawsuit WRT the timing of when the incidences happened is just too much of a coincidence for me.

I'm not saying I believe either party...but I'm definitely
Old 09-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Was she supposed to wait till the season was over? If she really wanted to screw him she would have filled at the beginning of training camp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Not really. When would have been a time to file this that couldn't be interpreted that way?
Quote:
Two things though... First, these aren’t old claims. The alleged incidents occurred in 2017 and 2018. It’s not like she is claiming this happened in college. And even if they were old, it’s not unusual for a sexual assault victim to be nervous about reporting a crime. There is still a stigma against victims (which is horrible) and there is shame involved. Plus if you accuse a rich and famous person, they can afford a strong defense and now all of his fans are your enemies.

As far as whether or not filing it now was strategic, I’m sure it was and that was smart. This was filed at a time when everyone has been hearing about how erratic he is. He is particularly vulnerable and you strike when the iron is hot. Also, if you think the timing was meant to hurt him (career-wise) and was vindictive, I’m sure it was. But if I was a sexual assault victim I’d probably be a teeny-tiny but vindictive myself, wouldn’t you?

I don’t think the timing in any way casts doubt on the allegations. The truth about them (whether they happened or not) should be borne out through testimony, evidence, and investigations.
I'm not going to stand here and attack the accuser. This stuff happened a long time ago which doesn't invalidate them of course. However, claims from 1-2 years ago ARE old. It's is of course not uncommon for these things to not make it to the police or courts quickly.

BUT, announcing this right now, at this point in the middle of this giant professional shit-storm he created for himself is weird. Not in the offseason, not while he was on Hard Knocks, not after he "lost" $90M+ from the Raiders, but instead right after he gets bailed out by the Patriots financially with a $15M deal....that's eyebrow raising.

The accuser wants financial compensation, evidenced by the civil court filing and not criminal, and they very publicly announce this suit right when he gets money but before he's able to do something else horrible and lose it again. It's at the very least tactical, which doesn't make for a very sympathetic victim.

Last edited by Omniscient; 09-11-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Strategic timing, to me, doesn't say anything about the merits of the lawsuit. Neither does not going to the police. I doubt they'll win, though. There have been some texts from AB that don't help his image or countersuit, but I think ultimately only the lawyers make money.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
There have been some texts from AB that don't help his image or countersuit,
Reading those texts, I now know that I despise the reprehensible human being named Antonio Brown. He admits to jacking off on her back, he's a complete mysognistic asshole, and I really look forward to him lying in a pool of his own drool with constant headaches at age 48.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Reading those texts, I now know that I despise the reprehensible human being named Antonio Brown. He admits to jacking off on her back, he's a complete mysognistic asshole, and I really look forward to him lying in a pool of his own drool with constant headaches at age 48.
Also bordering on illiterate.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 AM

So it appears Belichick and Brady got their feelings hurt at their respective press conferences yesterday. When Bill tried his patented "I already answered that" response to a question, the CNN reporter shot back "No you didn't" and repeated it. Bill, shocked that a reporter didn't just back down immediately because he knows his job depends on access to the Patriots, ended the conference and walked off the stage.
When Tom was asked about the accused rapist he had invited to stay with him, he just replied "Things that don't involve me, don't involve me."
Old 09-12-2019, 08:45 AM

Which basically tells me that they didn't know.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:29 AM

Let us not overlook the fact that, while he is not married, he does have a long-term girlfriend, with whom he has 3 children... so, rape or not, "consensual sex" with a women who is not your long-term mate and mother of your children, in my world, is the highest level of dochebaggery.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:00 AM

What, worse than rape? In general though your point is well-made.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
I assumed that phungi's concept of "douchebaggery" has an upper limit - so cheating on your spouse/SO is the highest level of douchebaggery, but rape is in a different and worse category altogether.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I assumed that phungi's concept of "douchebaggery" has an upper limit - so cheating on your spouse/SO is the highest level of douchebaggery, but rape is in a different and worse category altogether.
Indeed, at that point, one has passed beyond "douchebaggery" and into "felonious."
Old 09-13-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

The NFL will let him keep playing for now. And they're doing more of an investigation than the police.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phungi View Post
Let us not overlook the fact that, while he is not married, he does have a long-term girlfriend, with whom he has 3 children... so, rape or not, "consensual sex" with a women who is not your long-term mate and mother of your children, in my world, is the highest level of dochebaggery.
hindsight can be helpful in the context of "self-editing"... I was trying to say "even if he didn't rape someone, he is cheating scum, as infidelity is the highest level of douchebaggery in a relationship"... rape would obviously trump consensual cheating/infidelity.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Brown will be eligible to play against the Dolphins this Sunday.

Great, otherwise New England would have no chance!
Old 09-13-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Child molestation? Although that's in the same catagory.

Genocide, perhaps.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 09-13-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Child molestation? Although that's in the same catagory.

Genocide, perhaps.
ME: AB is such a douchebag

THEM: But how big of a douchebag is he?

ME: His actions spawned a discussion about the Sophie's Choice of douchebaggery: raping a child versus raping an adult, THAT'S how big of a douchebag he is!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:07 PM

Another Antonio Brown accuser comes forward.

Looking worse for AB. There are no criminal accusations here or even a lawsuit but it’s more fuel.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:00 PM

Here's a Sports Illustrated article profiling not just the sexual stuff, but numerous incidents of Brown stiffing people. Included are:
A charity art auction where he bid on a portrait of himself, took it home and never paid.
The artist of that piece he later hired to paint a mural in his home. He shows up naked while she's working, then fires her when she rejected him (she at least got paid for the unfinished work).
He posted a video online of him farting while a doctor is giving him an exam. Brown somehow convinces the guy to work with him, but never pays up.
The aforementioned celebrity chef, hired to host a Pro Bowl dinner. Never pays up, and is heard multiple times calling the chef and his team "crackers" while at the dinner party.
Numerous other instances of stiffing and ghosting employees and associates.
Multiple police house calls ranging from potential domestic abuse to outright bizarre.

He sounds like a Trumpian narcissist.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:22 PM

Going back to the helmet issue - has Brown suddenly decided that helmets are no problem now that he's a Patriot?
Old 09-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Going back to the helmet issue - has Brown suddenly decided that helmets are no problem now that he's a Patriot?
Brown had selected a new helmet (the Xenith Shadow) while he was still with the Raiders, as per this Bleacher Report article from September 4th (three days before the Raiders released him). The article quoted ESPN's Adam Schefter as saying:

Quote:
Schefter noted the seven-time Pro Bowler believes this model "makes him feel more agile and comfortable, and allows for better visibility" than the Schutt AiR Advantage.
He apparently got a sponsorship deal from Xenith, which the company then cancelled last Friday, after the rape accusation came to light.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 09-17-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:15 AM

So now Brown is sending threatening texts to the woman who accused him of sexual harrassment, including pictures of her children. This is the artist who stated that he stood behind her wearing nothing but a washcloth while she was painting a mural in his home.

Fuck it. It doesn't matter if every other accusation is false. He's absolutely confirmed he's nothing but human garbage. The Pats can either cut him or watch substantial chunks of their fanbase run away.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
The Pats can either cut him or watch substantial chunks of their fanbase run away.
The narrative the Pats put out last week was:
  1. Kraft wouldn't have approved the signing if they knew about the charges in the lawsuit beforehand
  2. Nothing happened on the Patriot's watch

Now they know about bad actions that happened while he was a Patriot. Just cut him and be done with the whole mess. It would be best if the commissioner put him on the exempt list; otherwise some team will be tempted to pick him up off waivers because the price is so low now. But the Pats can't let that concern them. They fucked up and now they need to deal with it.

Disclaimer: I'm a life long Patriots fan but I see no problem calling them out for shit like this. I can easily stop watching games and/or buying any merchandise.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:37 AM

Yeah, they should drop him like the flaming piece of shit he is, even if it means they eat the entire cost of his contract (which hopefully shouldn't happen - and I say "hopefully" on general principles, I'm not a Pats fan). But are the owner's principles more important to him than his money?
Old 09-20-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But are the owner's principles more important to him than his money?
I don't think this is coming from Kraft, I think this is mostly Belichick.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I don't think this is coming from Kraft, I think this is mostly Belichick.
Sure, Belichick is the one who wants to keep Brown, but the money is coming out of Kraft's pocket. He absolutely has the power to overrule Belichick, even if it does damage their working relationship.

Belichick has a press conference today at 11:45. The consensus seems to be that if the Pats are going to cut him, they'll have to do it before the presser so Bill can hide behind the press release & not answer any questions. I'm guessing Bob & Bill are in some heated discussions at the moment.

And I pray some reporter has the balls to ask Brady "Hey Tom, did Antonio take any pictures of your kids?"
Old 09-20-2019, 08:15 AM

So, Belichick has a literal belief in Bill Shankly's "Football isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that." (quote is from the original football, for the uninitiated)? He is happy to be forever associated with a misogynist, predatory, felon (TBC, I guess) as long as it improves the chances of winning another Superbowl by a couple of %? Hmm. Was he previously known as a raging asshole? Apologies for my ignorance here.