Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:37 AM
cmosdes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,573

cribbage rules question


Player1 scored a point for Go and after laying down additional cards, the count resets.
Player2 has 3 cards left and plays 1 of them.
Player 1 plays their last card and Player2 has two more cards.
Player2 plays one of them, but can't play both without exceeding 31. Let's say the total is 24 and Player2 has a 10 left.

Does Player1 score another point for Go? I assume so. Players2 will get a point for last card, obviously.

P1: 8
P2: 5 (13)
P1: 9 (22)
P2: Go
P1: 6 (28) -> reset

P2: 10
P1: 7 (last card for P1)
P2: 10 (27)
P2: Go??? 1 point for P1?
P2: 10 (last card - 1 point for P2)
  #2  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:30 PM
lum's husband is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1
For a "go" the point goes to the last player to play a card.
  #3  
Old 09-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,025
P1 gets the point for the second Go, yes.

https://bicyclecards.com/how-to-play/cribbage/

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-22-2019 at 01:34 PM.
  #4  
Old 09-22-2019, 02:03 PM
cmosdes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
P1 gets the point for the second Go, yes.

https://bicyclecards.com/how-to-play/cribbage/
So P1 would have gotten two points in that hand for "Go", yes?

That is how I read the rules as well. I saw that link but wasn't sure if a "Go" point required P1 to have played a card before P2 to get the point.

According to lum's husband, P2 would get the 2nd "Go" point, which I don't think I understand.
  #5  
Old 09-22-2019, 02:34 PM
tim-n-va is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,244
Each time there is a reset in the play count, another last card point is up for grabs. P2 gets a point for last card after P1 has ran out. When the reset happens, P2 is the only one with cards and gets another point for last card.

There really isn’t a point for “go”, that is just a way to say ”I can’t play”. I’ve played with people who say “one for go” and others who say “one for last card”. It doesn’t usually matter but thinking of it as last card resolves this type confusion.
  #6  
Old 09-22-2019, 03:42 PM
cmosdes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
Each time there is a reset in the play count, another last card point is up for grabs. P2 gets a point for last card after P1 has ran out. When the reset happens, P2 is the only one with cards and gets another point for last card.

There really isn’t a point for “go”, that is just a way to say ”I can’t play”. I’ve played with people who say “one for go” and others who say “one for last card”. It doesn’t usually matter but thinking of it as last card resolves this type confusion.
I'm have a difficult time reconciling what you are describing with this rule:

During play, the running total of cards may never be carried beyond 31. If a player cannot add another card without exceeding 31, he or she says "Go" and the opponent pegs 1.

I see there being 3 resets in this situation. The start of Play, Reset1 after P1 plays the 6, then Reset2 after P2 plays the 2nd 10.

The count is now at 27. The last card was played by P2, to be sure, but according to the above rule, P2 cannot add another card without exceeding 31, so P2 says, "Go" and the opponent pegs.
  #7  
Old 09-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Dead Cat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,268
I'm not an expert, but I've always played as described by lum's husband and tim-n-va. I believe this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmosdes View Post

During play, the running total of cards may never be carried beyond 31. If a player cannot add another card without exceeding 31, he or she says "Go" and the opponent pegs 1.
is another way of stating the rule, that works in most instances, but leads to incorrect answers in this situation.

So, in the play described by the OP, I would say P1 gets a point for last card when the count reaches 28, P2 gets a point for last card when the count reaches 27, and then P2 gets another point for last card after the reset.
  #8  
Old 09-22-2019, 04:31 PM
cmosdes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
I'm not an expert, but I've always played as described by lum's husband and tim-n-va. I believe this:



is another way of stating the rule, that works in most instances, but leads to incorrect answers in this situation.

So, in the play described by the OP, I would say P1 gets a point for last card when the count reaches 28, P2 gets a point for last card when the count reaches 27, and then P2 gets another point for last card after the reset.
I'll keep checking around for other rules sources. So far, it would seem most rules agree with you.

I think the most stunning thing to come out of this thread is that lum's husband has been a member since 2014, 5 years, and picked this thread to make the first (2nd?) post in. Wow.
  #9  
Old 09-22-2019, 04:41 PM
tim-n-va is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,244
This illustrates it with “go” in places where experienced players just take it as implied.

P1: 8
P2: 5 (13)
P1: 9 (22)
P2: Go
P1: 6 (28) -> reset

P2: 10
P1: 7 (last card for P1)
P2: 10 (27)
P1: Go - no cards to play, 1 point for P2
P2: 10 (last card in hand)
P1: Go - no cards to play, 1 point for P2
  #10  
Old 09-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
This illustrates it with “go” in places where experienced players just take it as implied.

P1: 8
P2: 5 (13)
P1: 9 (22)
P2: Go
P1: 6 (28) -> reset

P2: 10
P1: 7 (last card for P1)
P2: 10 (27)
P1: Go - no cards to play, 1 point for P2
P2: 10 (last card in hand)
P1: Go - no cards to play, 1 point for P2
I took the OP as written, wondering why P2 had three turns in a row.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017