Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 04-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 51,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Mods do this all the time, as do hoi polloi. With the same welcome line.
So obviously the zombie jokes aren't needed. What's your point?
  #152  
Old 04-26-2018, 12:45 PM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
So obviously the zombie jokes aren't needed. What's your point?
"Need" is beside the point.

They're wanted. Not universally, but that doesn't matter.
  #153  
Old 04-26-2018, 03:13 PM
Krav Manga Krav Manga is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I don't know what to say.
What the hell do those links have to do with either zombie threads and/or vague and tediously repetitive one word responses to them?
i consider your concern about insulting or discouraging new posters is incongruous given your behavious towards newbies in the past.

The cited links are concrete examples of the type of tedious behaviour towards new posters that, in my opnion, is far more likely to insult and discourage new posters than a stupid zombie joke.

Last edited by Krav Manga; 04-26-2018 at 03:14 PM.
  #154  
Old 04-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krav Manga View Post
i consider your concern about insulting or discouraging new posters is incongruous given your behavious towards newbies in the past.

The cited links are concrete examples of the type of tedious behaviour towards new posters that, in my opnion, is far more likely to insult and discourage new posters than a stupid zombie joke.
Those threads are from four years ago. Digging that far back just to find something(no matter how tenuously connected to the actual subject) certainly shows...dedication?
  #155  
Old 04-26-2018, 05:12 PM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 11,940
Is there any evidence that supports that there are newbies that get insulted by zombie references and never come back? Or are these just conjectures that some assume?

There are numerous examples of newbies registering here, starting new threads, and never returning, without an utterance of a zombie reference anywhere. I could dig up hundreds of links to provide evidence of my point.
  #156  
Old 04-26-2018, 08:57 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 51,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
"Need" is beside the point.

They're wanted. Not universally, but that doesn't matter.
Yeah, it kinda does, since a lot of people find them annoying. As more in jokes have died out, I think this is one that really should as well, and I know I'm not the only one. I mean, if you find them funny, good for you, but I can't help but cringe every time I see one. It's like Dopers can't move on.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 04-26-2018 at 08:58 PM.
  #157  
Old 04-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Terminus Est's Avatar
Terminus Est Terminus Est is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The tropics
Posts: 7,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Yeah, it kinda does, since a lot of people find them annoying. As more in jokes have died out, I think this is one that really should as well, and I know I'm not the only one. I mean, if you find them funny, good for you, but I can't help but cringe every time I see one. It's like Dopers can't move on.
A lot of people find throwing stuff in the quarry annoying. I dare say more people than find zombie-outing annoying. And yet the mods continue to allow quarrying.
  #158  
Old 04-26-2018, 10:27 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 51,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
A lot of people find throwing stuff in the quarry annoying. I dare say more people than find zombie-outing annoying. And yet the mods continue to allow quarrying.
And I wish they wouldn't. However, at least it's only one person doing that.
  #159  
Old 04-27-2018, 01:06 AM
Krav Manga Krav Manga is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Those threads are from four years ago. Digging that far back just to find something(no matter how tenuously connected to the actual subject) certainly shows...dedication?
Has your attitude towards new posters improved in the last four years?
  #160  
Old 04-27-2018, 01:17 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krav Manga View Post
Has your attitude towards new posters improved in the last four years?
I'm not the topic of this thread. Nice try, though.
  #161  
Old 04-27-2018, 01:27 AM
Krav Manga Krav Manga is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I'm not the topic of this thread. Nice try, though.
Didn't you start this thread?
  #162  
Old 04-27-2018, 01:33 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Is there any evidence that supports that there are newbies that get insulted by zombie references and never come back? Or are these just conjectures that some assume?

There are numerous examples of newbies registering here, starting new threads, and never returning, without an utterance of a zombie reference anywhere. I could dig up hundreds of links to provide evidence of my point.
That stat is useless unless it is compared to the number of newbies that never returned after the response they got was "Zombie!!" and/or "brainz!".
  #163  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:08 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
That stat is useless unless it is compared to the number of newbies that never returned after the response they got was "Zombie!!" and/or "brainz!".
I've already provided examples of newbies bumping old threads and never returning regardless of the response they get, which suggests the default outcome of one of those posts is a failure to to return.

So you would need to show that newbies who get a BRAAINNS response fail to become long-term posters at greater rates than newbies who do not, and that number is already pretty high. Maybe even approaching 100%. It's obviously difficult to get good evidence with the tools we have, which is why I used famously bumped threads. But the burden of proof isn't really on me, either.

If you can show, with numbers, that zombie jokes are driving newbies away I promise never to make one again. Not even zombie-related puns.
  #164  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I've already provided examples of newbies bumping old threads and never returning regardless of the response they get, which suggests the default outcome of one of those posts is a failure to to return.

So you would need to show that newbies who get a BRAAINNS response fail to become long-term posters at greater rates than newbies who do not, and that number is already pretty high. Maybe even approaching 100%. It's obviously difficult to get good evidence with the tools we have, which is why I used famously bumped threads. But the burden of proof isn't really on me, either.

If you can show, with numbers, that zombie jokes are driving newbies away I promise never to make one again. Not even zombie-related puns.
The problem is that your stats mean absolutely nothing because such a counting can't be done unless we had some way to poll people as to why they left. It is my opinion that if someone goes through the trouble of registering with this board to ask a question or state an opinion and the response they get for their troubles is "Brainz!", "Zombieee!" or the like(sometimes from multiple posters), then they might take the path of least resistance and just go elsewhere.
  #165  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
It is my opinion that if someone goes through the trouble of registering with this board to ask a question or state an opinion and the response they get for their troubles is "Brainz!", "Zombieee!" or the like(sometimes from multiple posters), then they might take the path of least resistance and just go elsewhere.
Well then it is my opinion that you are incorrect, which means this all goes back to you just not really being a fan of zombie jokes. A perfectly acceptable position with absolutely no need for justification.
  #166  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:58 AM
Krav Manga Krav Manga is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The problem is that your stats mean absolutely nothing because such a counting can't be done unless we had some way to poll people as to why they left. It is my opinion that if someone goes through the trouble of registering with this board to ask a question or state an opinion and the response they get for their troubles is "Brainz!", "Zombieee!" or the like(sometimes from multiple posters), then they might take the path of least resistance and just go elsewhere.
In your opinion, are new posters more likely to be driven off by a silly joke or aggressive and rude 'socratic' examination by long term posters?
  #167  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Well then it is my opinion that you are incorrect, which means this all goes back to you just not really being a fan of zombie jokes. A perfectly acceptable position with absolutely no need for justification.
My position is what I said it was in my previous post, for the reason stated in my previous post, your interpretation notwithstanding.
  #168  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,401
My point is that board health is a very serious issue, and if it's being impacted by zombie jokes then that's problematic and I would agree that a change is necessary.

But the only evidence that I've been able to find suggests (note I do not say proves) that newbies who bump threads are disinclined to stick around regardless of how they're treated. If that data is worthless, then at present we have nothing to go on except feelings, and I do not believe that is enough of a reason to implement a concrete rule.
  #169  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:01 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,165
I'm a relatively new poster. I did not come here via a google search, so I'd been around for a little bit before I saw my first zombie joke.

I found it off-putting and had no idea what it was about. I would have greatly preferred if the poster had mentioned explicitly that the thread was old. If they'd done that, too, I wouldn't have minded the zombie joke, it just felt weird and out-of-place and yes, rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
...Nobody should give a bumped thread a second thought including moderators. It shouldn't be considered noteworthy in any sense if someone bumps and old thread. It most definitely shouldn't have a section of its own in the board rules. That comes from a time when there were a lot more posters and a lot more interest in message boards. Today the bulk of our interesting threads have already been written. Adding to them, even years later, should be considered not only permissible but beneficial to the boards...
I can't tell you how much I approve of this post. I ran into several interesting (to me) threads that were shut down just because they were old. As best as I could tell, the topic was still interesting. I still think that is a frustrating "feature" of this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
We want to be as welcoming to new posters as possible. Having someone come as a result of a google search only to find the topic locked is not as welcoming as possible. If there is a way the discussion can continue, that's fine. If the circumstances dictate otherwise, participants no longer active, underlying information no longer operative, etc., then a polite note can be given with an invitation to start a new thread if people so desire.
Why is it better to start a new thread and make people bounce back and forth? Serious question. If there's stuff to say, why not say it in the same thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
"Zombie" is hardly a localized joke though. Anybody who's been in a MB is going to get the reference.
I've been on several other message boards since the late 1990s. This is the only place I've seen it.

I like to know that a thread is old as much as anyone. But it's MUCH more helpful to say "the OP was written in 2005, he's unlikely to see your reply" than to say "Braaaiiins!"

Maybe if I liked the idea of closing/abandoning old threads I'd find the whole zombie thing funnier.

Anyway, I'm not asking for a new rule, but I am suggesting that people who want to be inviting/friendly/helpful should try posting something factual ("this thread is old") rather than either reporting it to the mods or making zombie jokes.
  #170  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:02 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,165
huh, no idea I joined that long ago. I didn't start posting at all regularly until more recently.
  #171  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Morgenstern Morgenstern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
That stat is useless unless it is compared to the number of newbies that never returned after the response they got was "Zombie!!" and/or "brainz!".
I agree with your underlying premise. I see what you are doing as a good Christian effort to make the board a better place for everyone. A place of sunshine and boobies for noobies.
  #172  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:16 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I've been on several other message boards since the late 1990s. This is the only place I've seen it.
Go do a Google image search for 'zombie thread.'
  #173  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:26 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Go do a Google image search for 'zombie thread.'
I don't doubt that it's used in other places. I am giving you anecdotal evidence that someone can actively post of multiple bulletin boards and not be familiar with that term. And then I'm sure there are actually new posters from time to time, not just people who have been posting other places.
  #174  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
I agree with your underlying premise. I see what you are doing as a good Christian effort to make the board a better place for everyone. A place of sunshine and boobies for noobies.
Sunshine and boobies for everyone, 'cause boobies are cute.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 04-27-2018 at 09:27 AM.
  #175  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:29 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,165
lol, I just googled exactly that, and I didn't get any references to message boards in the first page, just references to computer science

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackoverflow
A zombie thread is a joinable thread which has terminated, but which hasn't been joined. Normally, either a thread should be joined at some time, or it should be detached. Otherwise, the OS maintains its state for some possible future join, which takes resources.
  #176  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
lol, I just googled exactly that, and I didn't get any references to message boards in the first page, just references to computer science
That's why I specified image search, since it's also a common and specific CS phrase.

The image search will give you lots of zombie thread memes, which are evidence that the phrase is common on boards which are not the SDMB (where we do not have image memes).
  #177  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:53 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,165
I also googled zombie thread meme, and found a lot of people speculating when the meme originated. They mostly guessed very recently.

Again, I can't imagine it's unique to this board, but i know from personal experience that it's not ubiquitous.
  #178  
Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo Johnny Bravo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,401
I'm not necessarily arguing that it is, though as usual there's an XKCD for that.
  #179  
Old 04-27-2018, 10:39 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,165
Except coke and mentos are awesome, whereas zombie jokes aren't very funny even if you are familiar with them.
  #180  
Old 04-27-2018, 11:22 AM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 20,828
"Brainss" - unfunny. But some of the zombie allusions i've read have fit the specific thread subject in an amusing and clever way and woken me up to the age of the thread with a small smile instead of only self-annoyance that I had not already noticed. Sure a clever zombie joke may be a notable sighting ... but they are sometimes seen in the wild.

(Okay I can't recall any specific ones ... )
  #181  
Old 04-27-2018, 11:44 AM
gnoitall gnoitall is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
"Brainss" - unfunny. But some of the zombie allusions i've read have fit the specific thread subject in an amusing and clever way and woken me up to the age of the thread with a small smile instead of only self-annoyance that I had not already noticed. Sure a clever zombie joke may be a notable sighting ... but they are sometimes seen in the wild.

(Okay I can't recall any specific ones ... )
OK, try this one.

2008 thread about Full Metal Jacket, resurrected by a seagull (fly in, shit on us, fly away). TruCelt posts a very subtle and clever zombie joke (specifically, naming the resurrection but also answering the question -- the character in the scene in question had a bandaged face -- by indirectly making it a "mummy post". Plus providing a link to replace the OP's original badly bitrotted link.

Clever, helpful, subtle, but definitely a zombie joke.

Zombie joke haters: do you hate that example?

Last edited by gnoitall; 04-27-2018 at 11:45 AM.
  #182  
Old 04-27-2018, 12:44 PM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt TruCelt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 10,584
Related thread: I'm working up a poll. I'd like some input from each of you.
  #183  
Old 04-27-2018, 12:45 PM
doorhinge doorhinge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8,971
for historical reference -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
So obviously the zombie jokes aren't needed. What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Yeah, it kinda does, since a lot of people find them annoying. As more in jokes have died out, I think this is one that really should as well, and I know I'm not the only one. I mean, if you find them funny, good for you, but I can't help but cringe every time I see one. It's like Dopers can't move on.
(underline added)

Needed? Are any posts "needed", or even required? Someone felt like responding to a zombie thread. Someone else felt like responding to that post with a humorous/snarky post. Readers may have laughed, chuckled, smiled, ignored it, or were offended.

From reading this thread, it also appears that a lot of people do not find them annoying. Decisions, decisions. Should forum policy/rules be changed? If so, what should that change be based on? Facts? Opinions? Feelings? An opinion poll, perhaps?

In this thread, some members have requested more information pertaining to the loss of newbies specifically due to a humorous/snarky response they received for resurrecting a zombie thread. Unfortunately, no hard data seems to be available at this time. If someone wishes to convince others to alter their behavior, isn't the burden of proof on those wishing change?

Of course, there are other ways to change rules. Those in authority can simply make a rule change. Their circus, their monkeys. Personally, I only want to know what the rules currently are.
  #184  
Old 04-27-2018, 01:21 PM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
OK, try this one.

2008 thread about Full Metal Jacket, resurrected by a seagull (fly in, shit on us, fly away). TruCelt posts a very subtle and clever zombie joke (specifically, naming the resurrection but also answering the question -- the character in the scene in question had a bandaged face -- by indirectly making it a "mummy post". Plus providing a link to replace the OP's original badly bitrotted link.

Clever, helpful, subtle, but definitely a zombie joke.

Zombie joke haters: do you hate that example?
Do I count as a hater? I don't hate that example. That must have been amusing to the insiders. But I would like to point out that while it might have amused the regulars, it also confused people -- someone had to explain a few posts later the point of the zombie reference.
  #185  
Old 04-27-2018, 01:30 PM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt TruCelt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
. . . TruCelt posts a very subtle and clever zombie joke

. . .
Clever, helpful, subtle, but definitely a zombie joke.

. . .
Thank you! :blush:
  #186  
Old 04-27-2018, 01:34 PM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt TruCelt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Do I count as a hater? I don't hate that example. That must have been amusing to the insiders. But I would like to point out that while it might have amused the regulars, it also confused people -- someone had to explain a few posts later the point of the zombie reference.
Actually, I accidentally somehow double posted. This was meant to be the only post, and was formulated as an example for this thread.

It "had to be explained" because of this thread, not because I personally think it's necessary.
  #187  
Old 04-27-2018, 02:14 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 36,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Thank you! :blush:
It was clever and subtle, but would have actually been much better had it added anything but snark to the thread.
__________________
I am not a real Doctor
  #188  
Old 04-27-2018, 02:16 PM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt TruCelt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
It was clever and subtle, but would have actually been much better had it added anything but snark to the thread.
It added a link to a higher-definition video snip which clearly showed the answer to the original question.
  #189  
Old 04-27-2018, 02:46 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 36,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
It added a link to a higher-definition video snip which clearly showed the answer to the original question.
Ah, good point, I sit corrected.
__________________
I am not a real Doctor
  #190  
Old 04-27-2018, 04:09 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 20,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
OK, try this one. ...
Yes, like that. Even ones that do not actually answer the original question but are clever ways to allude to zombie in a way that references the OP and yet still contributes to or acknowledges what the new poster stated are fine.

I think what would insult a new poster who stumbled in by way of a search is not a moderately in-joke as part of a response but having their contribution ignored.

That said, fairly few zombie references hit that mark and some seem to think that just the words "zombie" or "brains" are clever in and of themselves. And not.
  #191  
Old 04-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 27,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I find the complainers who turn it into 17 posts on the subject far better fodder for annoyance than the occasional repeat.
There's a flip side to that coin. You've posted quite a bit in this thread, started two more and presumably going to start at least a third one to create a poll. That's a lot of posts to show how unannoyed you are.
  #192  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 PM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt TruCelt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
There's a flip side to that coin. You've posted quite a bit in this thread, started two more and presumably going to start at least a third one to create a poll. That's a lot of posts to show how unannoyed you are.
I'm trying to help the group reach a consensus on how to proceed. What are you trying to achieve?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017