Old 06-08-2019, 08:16 PM

What do you think of big bushy beards?

For the past few years I've sported a full beard, cut close, with the same #2 clipper as the rest of my hair. But lately I've been seeing guys with big bushy beards, and I'm thinking of growing mine out (while still leaving the hair on top short).

If it matters, my beard is gray, while the hair on top is dark brown.

When you see a guy with such a beard, what do you think?
Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 PM

I like a bearded man. The grey sounds nice. Keep it neat. IMHO
Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 PM

It’s a “thing" for younger guys. It just makes older guys look old.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:29 PM

My opinion, big bushy beards only look good with long full hair. I am not a fan of the long bushy beard/short hair combo. I just don't get it. Much like my parents didn't get why a male would grow his hair over his ears and collar!

People mocked mullets, "business in the front, party in the back." That's what the full beard, short hair combo reminds me of. A short, tight, well barbered haircut looks really good on a lot of guys, why spoil that neat clean look with an Amish/mountain man bushy beard?

Again, just my opinion.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:31 PM

She's got legs, and she knows how to use them.

Having spent some time in the SCA, I've known a bunch of guys with big beards, so it's not particularly odd to me. A friend once pointed out that, past a certain point, if you're going to drive with your windows open, you need to bind it in a hair tie or it gets blown up into your face. One of the reasons dwarves braided their beards, I'm sure.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
That's exactly what I'm afraid of.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
My opinion, big bushy beards only look good with long full hair. I am not a fan of the long bushy beard/short hair combo. I just don't get it. Much like my parents didn't get why a male would grow his hair over his ears and collar!

People mocked mullets, "business in the front, party in the back." That's what the full beard, short hair combo reminds me of. A short, tight, well barbered haircut looks really good on a lot of guys, why spoil that neat clean look with an Amish/mountain man bushy beard?

Again, just my opinion.
I agree, for the opposite reason. If you can get a big bushy beard, it seems sad to cut the rest of your hair short. Why spoil the beautiful mane with a short hair cut?
Old 06-08-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Why spoil the beautiful mane with a short hair cut?
Because the hair on top is thinning, and looks like crap if it's not clipped short.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:37 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Gross. I hate them.

But, I don't gotta wear one or look at ya so...you do you.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:40 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I had a beard as a younger man. Nowadays in my old age, I think they almost -- almost, mind you -- always look silly. But to each his own.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:52 AM

I tend to go through cycles, but that's mostly because I'm incredibly lazy and haven't actually shaved myself in years. I'll let the beard grow out until I get my hair cut and get the barber to trim it down to a goat. My husband much prefers it trimmed down, though. He keeps saying it takes 10 years off of me. It's not really a major concern to me, though.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:37 AM

Itchy, itchy, Son-of-a-Bitchy! Not for me!
Old 06-09-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Itchy, itchy, Son-of-a-Bitchy! Not for me!
I thought all catfish had whiskers?
Old 06-09-2019, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
If it's clean and neat I think he's a masculine man with good grooming. I like a good looking beard on a man. I don't care if it's dark, grey, or dyed. In fact, I kind of like the sort of man with the self-confidence to rock his grey or dye it blue or purple like some of the old ladies are dying their hair these days. I don't have a problem with older guys looking older, or outright old guys looking old.

If it's scraggly/tangled and you can see bits of yesterday's lunch I think he's a slob and/or has some sort of self-esteem or mental issues.

It's just hair, after all, and he can wear his hair as he chooses. My preference is for clean and neat regardless of where on his head hair is located.

(Personally, I prefer beards to "man-buns" but that's the old fart in me.)

Last edited by Broomstick; 06-09-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
There may be something to this. In my case, I figured I too closely resembled a guy living in a remote cabin in the woods when I let my beard grow too long.

So these days I keep hair and beard trimmed short. Less attention from the F.B.I.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:11 AM

What other people say should never matter if you are happy, but I think full beards make people look older.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:14 AM

Only on Santa Claus.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Only on Santa Claus.
Or Jake Arieta.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Because the hair on top is thinning, and looks like crap if it's not clipped short.
I have a friend who can carry off the "balding on top, trimmed short, giant bushy beard" look, but honestly, despite my love of beards, I think he looks better when he trims it down. As others have said, you do you, but since you asked my opinion, my opinion is to keep the beard to a couple of inches or less.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:56 AM

I think modern bushy beards look stupid. They make you look like a civil war photo. But I guess that proves all fashion trends are cyclical.

Eh, who am I to judge? I'd prefer the look of a goatee on me, but they are out of fashion. I don't need to look stupider than I already do.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I thought all catfish had whiskers?
That's barbels!
Old 06-09-2019, 11:33 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Personally, I prefer a groomed beard, tho a little fuller isn't bad. I don't find big, bushy ones or really long ones particularly appealing. On the other hand, no one needs to appeal to me except my husband, and he and I tend to agree on his beard length.

I will concede that there are some men who can carry the big beard look. But in the grand scheme of things, it's really none of my business and not my call. Just as the way I wear my hair is my choice, whether anyone else likes it or not.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:50 PM

Big bushy beards look good on some people. For example, are you a gold prospector? If so, I'm totally with the bushy beard thing. Mad Russian monk? Sure. The same goes for sidekicks out west. And, I guess, ZZ Top.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 06-09-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Big bushy beards look good on some people. For example, are you a gold prospector? If so, I'm totally with the bushy beard thing. Mad Russian monk? Sure. The same goes for sidekicks out west. And, I guess, ZZ Top.

No, I think all those mentioned look goofy as all get out.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:46 PM

Around here I always think 'Duck Dynasty', when I see a full, long beard. South Arkansas is close to W.Monroe, La.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:50 PM

I think they are really annoying to eat with, and will be shaving mine off soon, after I show it off tomorrow.

I mostly only did it to see if it would ever actually start growing long, since I would go without shaving for months and it wouldn't. But it finally did. Though I'll need to shape it to really show the length.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The same goes for sidekicks out west.
*judges you in Gabby Hayes*
Old 06-09-2019, 07:02 PM

The OP often complains of his health problems so I mentally picture you as sort of decrepit looking, sorry if that's an incorrect assumption. Wouldn't a big bushy beard just make you look ancient. Also what does your husband/partner or whatever think of the idea? Just curious.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:28 PM

BTW, here is an excellent example of what a scraggly beard does to an older guy.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Once it gets white I would say SANTA!!!
Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I don’t like them and generally don’t like facial hair, although scruffy is HOT on most guys.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

Oh, I'm the opposite - I don't like "scruffy" if by that you mean the 2-4 day beard stubble that seems to have become popular in some contexts. I'm like, either shave it or grow it but don't remain undecided.

In my head. Because, like I said, it's his hair he can wear it the way he wants and I won't say even a peep in public.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
The OP often complains of his health problems so I mentally picture you as sort of decrepit looking, sorry if that's an incorrect assumption. Wouldn't a big bushy beard just make you look ancient. Also what does your husband/partner or whatever think of the idea? Just curious.
I am not at all decrepit looking; I have the appearance of a man in his late 50s. My husband is leaving it entirely up to me; he'll love me no matter what.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:33 AM

Big bushy beards remind me of that family guy episode where the father had a bird living in it and it’d steal his popcorn. So, that’s pretty cool actually.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 AM

He looks better with the beard, imo.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
My beard is usually a bit longer than Letterman's. I don't get the "makes you look old" thing. You know what makes me look old? Being old. I'm 61. A woman I know told me I should shave, because I'd look ten years younger. Why would I want to look ten years younger, though?
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Since you ask - I don't like them. Groomed and trimmed is one thing, bushy is another. I generally assume Unabomber/survivalist/homeless person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45
I am not at all decrepit looking; I have the appearance of a man in his late 50s. My husband is leaving it entirely up to me; he'll love me no matter what.
And therefore my opinion matters not even a tiny bit.

Practice saying "ho ho ho" and you're golden.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
Practice saying "ho ho ho" and you're golden.
A full white beard doesn't always work out that way.

One of the construction workers I see at the hospital is an older, tall, overweight guy with a glowering expression who has such a beard, but he doesn't bring to mind Santa. Instead, think "Satanic Father Christmas".
Old 06-10-2019, 08:28 AM

I think it'd look better if it were trimmed a little so the edges were cleaner but you have have a "big bushy beard" without it being scraggly. I generally think a longer/larger beard is fine if its otherwise well kept. I can't grow one that large myself (and wouldn't want one) but they don't bother me.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
My beard is usually a bit longer than Letterman's. I don't get the "makes you look old" thing. You know what makes me look old? Being old. I'm 61. A woman I know told me I should shave, because I'd look ten years younger. Why would I want to look ten years younger, though?
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I already look 15 years younger than my age. Even if the beard makes me look my age - or even older - so what? I am what I am.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:

This made me laugh!!

Also, if you want to know how good a bushy gray beard looks take a gander at David Letterman. UGH
Old 06-10-2019, 12:19 PM

You need piercing, deep-set eyes to work a Big Beard. Otherwise it just looks like you're covering up your face with hair. The difference between stalking prey and hiding. If you have the Big Beard, and all anyone sees is a Big Beard, then the beard is wearing you and needs to go. But if the effect is more "gleaming eyes studying you from behind an expressionless field of follicles," like the face of a jumping spider, then you're good to go. Goatees are for guys who think they should have a beard but don't really want the commitment. Never trust a guy with a goatee.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:33 PM
born to be shunned

What do you think of big bushy beards?

I hate them! They are a pox and a blemish on society and a sure sign of our eventual downfall!

Wait ------- mine is big and bushy.

Scratch all that ------ I LOVE THEM! Everyone should have one if at all possible. Best thing ever!

Old 06-10-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
Also, if you want to know how good a bushy gray beard looks take a gander at David Letterman. UGH
I dunno, this guy look alright to me. Your opinion may vary (was first GIS result for "big grey beard for me)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I dunno, this guy look alright to me. Your opinion may vary (was first GIS result for "big grey beard for me)
He does but would look even better if that was trimmed some. David Letterman looks horrible with his bushy beard.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:34 PM

I live in a college town, and when I'm shopping for groceries late at night I see a lot of male college students who look like Paul Bunyan or Rasputin. I think they look ridiculous, but they probably don't think I'm hot stuff either. They probably tell their roommates about the geezer they saw wearing cargo shorts and sandals at Kroger.

And yes, I love David Letterman but he looks awful with that beard. I'm sure he doesn't care what anyone thinks, but at least we got the fleeting satisfaction of seeing Howard Stern mock him for it.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I think the grooming is the key. If that big bushy beard has a well-defined shape to it, it's all good. But if it looks like the guy didn't really worry much about where his facial hair left off, I think his kids will laugh at his pix from this era when they see them.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhemar View Post
He does but would look even better if that was trimmed some. David Letterman looks horrible with his bushy beard.
Agree!

I was watching his show on Netflix and the beard was very distracting. That's all I could see.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 AM

I dig it.

I have a pretty epic beard myself (salt-and-pepper, measuring a good 5 inches or so from the bottom of my chin), but being Chinese I have what's known as "Asian hair"; everything that grows out of my head comes out straight, so I'll never have a "bushy" beard, unless I got it permed or something. It looks straight and neat like I groomed it, but that's just how it is naturally. And because it comes out straight, I gain length very quickly but the trade-off is I don't have nearly as much volume as a person with "caucasian hair" would have at the same length.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:39 AM

I think they look goofy, like the guy is trying on a costume. But I'm not a beard fan in general.

Also, it throws off the proportions of the head/face.