Old 06-10-2019, 03:46 PM

I, for one, welcome our New Metric Overlords.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Tucker must not be aware that those revolutionary founding fathers imposed decimal currency on us, not those pounds, shillings and pence as was traditional. So Tucker is unAmerican, but we knew that.

Anyhow, all measurements should be based on cubits, as God intended, so Tucker must be an atheist too.

Communist atheists are infiltrating Fox News! Write the Trump to warn him!
Old 06-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
I, for one, welcome our New Metric Overlords.
Hail Amps!

(The ampere is a base unit in the metric system. Which makes all electronics part of Satan's plan. Tucker better get off the TeeVee.)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Cheesesteak:

I have a tape measure with tenths of feet instead of inches. VERY useful when calculating area&volume for landscaping.
I was running a lab once where one of the groups ended up with a ruler marked in 32nds of an inch (apparently, used in making scale drawings). It took us a long time to figure out why all of their centimeter measurements were off.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I dunno, the segment strikes me as "obvious troll is obvious", done precisely to rile up people.

OTOH I have known some ultracons who not only want to roll back the Great Society and the New Deal and even the Square Deal but who seem to dream of rolling back the whole fuggin' Enlightenment and its notion that human reason can determine what's right and good. These are the people that insist that all those Masons and Deists and High Church Anglicans gathered in Philadelphia were actually devout fundies establishing an explicitly Christian nation.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 06-10-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
And as an aside, this has to do with why the big multi serving bottles of soda are sold by the liter, while everything else in the US is sold in ounces/quarts/gallons. The first soda company to introduce a bottle larger than a single serving did so in the 1970s around the time this law was passed, so they decided to make it 2 liters to be compliant with the new law that was about to be passed.
Implausible. Before the two litre bottle, there was the 26 oz, nearly the size of the 750mL. Definitely multiserve sizes. And it was around before the 70s.

Apparently Coke introduced the 26 oz (Family size) in 1955, the year I was born.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Fruit View Post
Implausible. Before the two litre bottle, there was the 26 oz, nearly the size of the 750mL. Definitely multiserve sizes. And it was around before the 70s.

Apparently Coke introduced the 26 oz (Family size) in 1955, the year I was born.
This is where I heard that. You're right, I misremembered some details. It wasn't necessarily the first multiserve bottle, I probably incorrectly inferred that from the fact that it was born out of Pepsi wanting to have a bigger bottle than Coke. It it was two liters because it happened to come out at a time when everyone thought America would be converting to metric any day now, not specifically because of the 1975 law, although other companies got onboard with the two liter size after the law was passed.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:06 PM

It also was the first plastic soda bottle. Before the two liter, the 32 oz. glass bottle was the biggest, except for certain root beer brand jugs. I also remember that two liters being a bit bigger than two quarts was used as a promotion point.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Their big argument for "customary" units is that a third of a foot is 4 inches — nice and simple. I think a reason that anti-Metricism hasn't caught on among FoxPotatoes is that many of them couldn't correctly answer "How many inches in a third of a foot?" anyway.
The only reason a FoxPotato knows what a third of a foot is is that that's how long his dick is.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The only reason a FoxPotato knows what a third of a foot is is that that's how long his dick is.
Wait till he finds out that's a 10 in metric.

Last edited by running coach; 06-10-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Am I correct to say Ford once used tenths of inches in its cars? I seem to recall you need special tools to work on some classic Ford cars.
The Model A Ford had wood-on-leather bearings. Several of the tools used to work on classic Ford cars would look unusual to you. Others, like the adjustable wrench, would look usual to you, but looked odd to farmers at the time.

The bolts and nuts were mostly ordinary 1/8ths, 16ths, 32nds. I don't know how the dimensions of the car were measured: I'd guess feet, inches, fractions, as ordinary things were at the time. Later, car manufacturers moved to having /all/ dimensions in 1/1000s of an inch ('thou' or 'mil'). If Ford was using 'tenths', that would have been a tenth of a thou, about 2.5 μm, and that would have been a tolerance, not a dimension. Nothing on the model T would have been toleranced that accurately.

In Aus, dimensions moved to /all/ mm, due to manufacturing workers being unable to handle decimal fractions and metric conversions like mm/cm/m/km.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas View Post
I worked on an archaeological dig once. The director wanted to use feet and inches for measurement. I urged that he switch to metric. His compromise was to excavate levels in tenths of feet!

I remember in drafting class, I had to use a nifty ruler with six scales on it, an engineer's scale. One of the scales is marked in tenths of an inch. The link shows you the other divisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Sadly, I've encountered it before, in the form of an American lab manager who claimed that "everybody measures density in kilograms per quart!" The out-of-the-US factories had previously used either kg/l or specific gravity (identical numbers, different units); we'd all moved to specific gravity as part of a company-wide project (a tiny, tiny, tiny part of it).

There was a moment of silence while we processed the horror of that American unit. Then the one Englishman present said "excuse me, I would like to take this response" and the rest of us agreed. It's a pity it was before telephone cameras, because damn that was one of the most beautiful rants I've ever witnessed.

You wouldn't perhaps be able to summarize it here, would you?

Quote:
I thought shit was customarily measured in bovine units.

Bovine units would be an indicator of quality, not quantity.

Last edited by Monty; 06-10-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
In Aus, dimensions moved to /all/ mm, due to manufacturing workers being unable to handle decimal fractions and metric conversions like mm/cm/m/km.

What? That's the actual beauty and key to the utility of the metric system, the incredibly simple conversion factor, IMHO. Here's a fun way to remember the order/value of the SI prefixes: make your own lyrics to the tune of [url=https://www.lyricsbox.com/royal-guardsmen-snoopy-vs.-the-red-baron-lyrics-xsxjrz8.html]Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Here's the corrected link: Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron
Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
I dunno, the segment strikes me as "obvious troll is obvious", done precisely to rile up people.
Yeah, this is the Republican base. I eventually gave up talking to many of my relatives just because of this.

Having lived for 30 years in metric countries, it really doesn’t matter one way or another for most things. The segment is just another way of getting their base angry about foreigners.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I remember in drafting class, I had to use a nifty ruler with six scales on it, an engineer's scale. One of the scales is marked in tenths of an inch. The link shows you the other divisions.
Decimal inches are common in electronics.
Traditionally, IC pin spacing was in .1 or .05 inch increments. Even now, as everything moves to metric, it's very, very common to see pin spacings of 2.54mm or 1.27mm.
Then there are edge connectors, which often have spacings of .156" - which turns out to be 5/32...
Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Hail Amps!

(The ampere is a base unit in the metric system. Which makes all electronics part of Satan's plan. Tucker better get off the TeeVee.)
Shocking!
I had better write a coulomb about it.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Wouldn't the parameters of formation movement have required them to train their soldiers to march with the same stride despite any differences in leg length?
Not necessarily the exact same stride, specially if your roads are crappy, but close enough to make the sergeant happy; when the sergeant is unhappy, everybody is unhappy. And now I'm wondering if archeologists know any cadences from the Roman or Macedonian armies
Old 06-11-2019, 01:33 AM

The U.S. was a leader in the metricization of currency for its own sake! The original American standard was that a silver dollar had the average weight of worn-down Spanish pieces of eight reales, so the base unit was a reale, called a "bit" in the States, and worth 12½ cents. However no one-bit coin was ever minted: the first coin minted by the U.S. Treasury was the silver half-disme; it took 2½ half-dismes to make a bit. No wonder that when pries are quoted in bits, it's almost always an even number of bits.

The silver half-disme was a short-lived coin. Nickel mines wanted in on the action and named the replacement for the half-disme after themselves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Decimal inches are common in electronics.
Traditionally, IC pin spacing was in .1 or .05 inch increments.
Back in the Triassic Era, most of the ICs I worked with had two rows of 8 pins each with 0.1 inch spacing. However IIRC, IBM's MST-2 IC's had four rows of 4 pins (arranged in a square) with ⅛ inch spacing. IBM did everything differently from The.Rest.of.the.World. Allegedly this was to make it harder for IBM technicians and engineers to find work at other companies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thais are lovers, not fighters and have an ecumenical system for quoting the dimensions of wooden boards. Thickness is given in inches, width in centimeters, length in sok (the Traditional Thai measure).
Old 06-11-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
The U.S. was a leader in the metricization of currency for its own sake! The original American standard was that a silver dollar had the average weight of worn-down Spanish pieces of eight reales, so the base unit was a reale, called a "bit" in the States, and worth 12½ cents.
A real. The second e is part of the pluralization.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Shocking!
Watt's the title going to be?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
This matches my experience. I did a “Summer Century” ride here in the PNW earlier this month and it was 100 miles.
Hmm... come to think of it, you guys may be right for the United States. It just occurred to me that I hang out primarily with foreigners!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Their big argument for "customary" units is that a third of a foot is 4 inches — nice and simple.
Yes, I can't even count the number of times every day when I need to divide a foot into three parts and thank God that it comes out to a nice even number of inches. Just think of how often that happens in your life.

Also, it's so great that I only need to divide a foot into thirds and never have to do that with quarts or pints or pounds or tons or acres.

But don't even get me started on how often I need to divide a meter into fifths. Good thing I never need to do that with a foot.

Last edited by markn+; 06-11-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Hail Amps!

Quote:
Shocking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Stop that!
Old 06-11-2019, 01:15 PM

There are times when I think "Stephen Pastis would love this place."
Old 06-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Ohm my god!

I have a scale that you can cycle between Kilos, Lb/oz, and pounds in tenths
Old 06-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I'll simply observe, as someone who has had the opportunity to work in both systems exclusively as well as in a mix: If you ever get the chance to work in metric only, you will never want to go back to those stupid inches and pounds and fractions ever again.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:58 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I'll simply observe, as someone who has had the opportunity to work in both systems exclusively as well as in a mix: If you ever get the chance to work in metric only, you will never want to go back to those stupid inches and pounds and fractions ever again.
Tell that to NASA.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM

As far as I know all manufacturing industry uses metric system in US because subcontractors could be from anywhere on the planet. Also university teaching is done in metric system and so is health care except for body temperature which is given in Farenheits. Military uses metrics also.

So grocery stores, gas pumps, mapping including all roads and speed limits and weather forecasts us non-metric units.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Tell that to NASA.
Mixing systems is even worse than the Imperial one.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Combined use of metric and imperial contributed to the Gimli Glider taking off with 22,300 lbs of fuel instead of 22,300 kg of fuel.

Oops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
Old 06-11-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Combined use of metric and imperial contributed to the Gimli Glider taking off with 22,300 lbs of fuel instead of 22,300 kg of fuel.

Oops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
Regardless of how many times I read this story, I'm still incredibly impressed that all of this knowledge and experience seemed to perfectly coalesce at just the right time.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:01 PM

Not only is the English pint (20 ounces) different from the American pint (16 ounces) but the ounces are different. Different enough that the ratio is not 5:4, but much closer to 6:5. And the saying that "A pint's a pound the world round" is true exactly nowhere. The British oz. of water does weigh one ounce and 16 of them do weigh a pound, but 16 of them isn't a pint, while 16 US ounces weigh 4% more than a pound. And before the metric system became nearly general, every country had its own foot, and its own pound.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Start a draft to fight the metric system. If people try to dodge the draft, we'd have to induct resistors.

I'd have to revise it weekly to keep it current.

Remember, a Faraday keeps the shorts away.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Start a draft to fight the metric system. If people try to dodge the draft, we'd have to induct resistors.

I'd have to revise it weekly to keep it current.

Remember, a Faraday keeps the shorts away.
These are so bad, you are grounded for a week!
Old 06-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Not only is the English pint (20 ounces) different from the American pint (16 ounces) but the ounces are different. Different enough that the ratio is not 5:4, but much closer to 6:5. And the saying that "A pint's a pound the world round" is true exactly nowhere. The British oz. of water does weigh one ounce and 16 of them do weigh a pound, but 16 of them isn't a pint, while 16 US ounces weigh 4% more than a pound. And before the metric system became nearly general, every country had its own foot, and its own pound.
Hence the competing saying for Imperial units (not US Customary): "A pint of water is a pound and a quarter!" Not quite as pithy as "a pint's a pound the world 'round," but at least a bit more accurate.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 PM

I'm sorry to say I actually watched the video. What a pair of worthy defenders of the US being virtually the last country on earth to resist metrification -- renowned lunatic Tucker Carlson, and some asshat badly in need of a shave sporting a polka-dot bow tie who agrees with him.

The patriotism and faultless logic were certainly persuasive. As Tucker reminds us, we must always remember where the un-American metric system comes from. You start using metric, and next thing you know you're talking with a crazy accent like Pepé Le Pew, making rich sauces, and electing socialists. Not to mention that you start losing your taste in beer and start drinking wine with everything like a Gallic sot. Metric is for wimps who can't do math. Give me rods, furlongs, and hogsheads all the way!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavaritz View Post
As far as I know all manufacturing industry uses metric system in US because subcontractors could be from anywhere on the planet. Also university teaching is done in metric system and so is health care except for body temperature which is given in Farenheits. Military uses metrics also.

So grocery stores, gas pumps, mapping including all roads and speed limits and weather forecasts us non-metric units.
That’s funny you mention universities. I had a professor who taught fluid power systems strictly in imperial units, all lectures and homework. But every quiz and test was SI. What a dick
Old 06-12-2019, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Give me rods, furlongs, and hogsheads all the way!
Firkin-A!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Joule have to wait for it to be published, just like everyone else.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
And now I'm wondering if archeologists know any cadences from the Roman or Macedonian armies
This is more the realm of historians, not archaeologists. AFAIK, we only have the lyrics of one genuine Roman marching song, Urbani, recorded by Seutonius. But no tune:
Urbani, servate uxores, moechum calvum adducimus.
Aurum in gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum.
Gallias caesar subegit, nicomedes caesarem, ecce caesar nunc triumphat qui subegit gallias.
Nicomedes non triumphat, qui subegit caesarem.
Gallos caesar in triumphum ducit, idem in curiam, galli bracas deposuerunt, latum clavum sumperunt.
Rough Translation
Citizens, keep an eye on your wives, we’re bringing back the bald adulterer. He’s stashed away the gold in Gaul that you loaned him here in Rome.
Caesar vanquished the Gauls, Nicomedes Caesar, Caesar who vanquished the Gauls now triumphs. Nicomedes does not triumph, who vanquished Caesar.
Caesar leads the Gauls in triumph, likewise into the Senate House. The Gauls have laid aside their trousers and put on the broad purple stripe.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
What? That's the actual beauty and key to the utility of the metric system, the incredibly simple conversion factor, IMHO.
Well if that's the beauty and key to the utility of the metric system, we might as well all go home, because people don't do metric conversions, and many if not most people can't really handle decimal fractions. Which is why car lengths are given in mm, as are any other manufacturing dimensions.

I've often wondered if, in French, metric conversions are effortless: if in French, a centimetre is a tenth of a metre instead of a learned value like 'inch', and if strangeness like "100 mm" disappears.

Quote:
And before the metric system became nearly general, every country had its own foot, and its own pound.
Actually, the empire had pretty much switched to "imperial" measures. And in any case, the major benefit of the metric system to France was that France, unlike England, had not already switched to a National system of measurement. France did not have its own foot, and its own pound: that was the problem.

Last edited by Melbourne; 06-12-2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I've often wondered if, in French, metric conversions are effortless: if in French, a centimetre is a tenth of a metre instead of a learned value like 'inch', and if strangeness like "100 mm" disappears.
No: in French, a centimetre is a hundredth of a metre. Promise. The conversion is particularly easy for Romance languages and for Greek, since the factors are taken from Latin and Greek. The French word for 100: cent. For 100th: centime. So, it's much easier to remember that centi- means hundredth- than it is for English speakers.

1.Bro worked for years as the "designer/draftsman" in a marble shop: he'd go to a construction site, take down as-built measurements (which never match the as-designed blueprint), then in his computer define the exact pieces that needed to be cut in order to cover that staircase in marble or put a one-meter-high granite baseboard all along that facade. When he and his bride were looking for their future home, he remarked that it seemed strange to him to see blueprints with the measurements given in meters: he would use meters only when it was rough measures, so for example a facade that was known to be "100m" would become "10057mm" once measured.

Last edited by Nava; 06-12-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Actually, the empire had pretty much switched to "imperial" measures. And in any case, the major benefit of the metric system to France was that France, unlike England, had not already switched to a National system of measurement. France did not have its own foot, and its own pound: that was the problem.
Let me put it this way: this is one case where "country" does not equal "territory ruled by a specific government or top ruler". France did have its own foot, oh yeah: several of them. And its own pound: several of them. And its own yard: several of them! At the time, Spain was officially still two separate kingdoms, but the larger one also suffered from multiple units of measure with the smaller one also having their own units, helloooo, why would we make things easier for the neighbors? And the Italians, well, on one hand everybody knew where Italy was and on the other there were a ton of different realms and some had their own units and some did not and sometimes they called the unit by the name of another realm but there had been some changes yes, so the two units as used in the original realm and in others might not be quite the same size; the same applies to Germany or to the Low Countries...

The SI was not "a French thing": it was an international effort because it was trying to solve an international problem. For larger domains it could also be an internal problem, but it was a pain in the ass either way.

Last edited by Nava; 06-12-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Doesn't the U.S. military use the metric system, what with "klicks" and shit? Does Tucker Carlson not Support the Troops?
I hope no one tells him that US Army tanks have been sporting metric cannon since WWII.

Oh, wait --- they've sekritly been part of the NWO since then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Surely that is satire. No one is that dumb.
Oh, grasshopper...
Quote:
Tucker must not be aware that those revolutionary founding fathers imposed decimal currency on us, not those pounds, shillings and pence as was traditional. So Tucker is unAmerican, but we knew that.
The founding fathers were so annoyed at Britain they not only would have adopted decimal currency but also the metric system, only it hadn't been invented yet.

Last edited by DesertDog; 06-12-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 AM

All I'm saying is that a third of a kilometer is just a seemingly harmless 333 meters... But you know what TWO THIRDS make?
Yeah. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth tavaritz:

...and so is health care except for body temperature which is given in Farenheits.
Except it's not, really. You know where the number 98.6 degrees comes from? That's not actually the average human body temperature. It was rounded to the nearest degree, because thermometers didn't used to be all that precise. The nearest Celsius degree, which was 37. And then we Americans converted "37 Celsius" to Fahrenheit.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Bovine units would be an indicator of quality, not quantity.
Nah, there's a scale, non-metric of course. The units vary, but a cricket-shit is at one end, a whale-shit is at the other, a goat-shit is in the middle (usually expresses as a "good goat's shit" since alliteration adds emphasis) and a cow-shit is somewhat larger. Very scientific.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_arachnid_laser View Post
all i'm saying is that a third of a kilometer is just a seemingly harmless 333 meters... But you know what two thirds make?
667?

Last edited by Cheesesteak; 06-12-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
I have a scale that you can cycle between Kilos, Lb/oz, and pounds in tenths
Mine cycles between kg; lbs and tenths; and stone, lbs, and tenths. The irritating thing is, it does it on its own, randomly, probably as a result of steam in the bathroom. Luckily it’s linked to my phone where I can check my logged weight in kg, regardless of what the display shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I work professionally exclusively in metric, other than a random psi here or there. Going back to stupid inches, pounds, and fractions doesn’t bother me too much, although the doctor (from a metric country) weighing my daughter in lbs/oz/tenths-of-oz bothers me a bit. Who the hell says 2 feet 2 point 125 inches? I guess the same people who are the audience for the “stone” my scale (see above) is able to present.

Quote:
Grumpy old man mode: it used to be, here in the States, at a microbrewery when they were all still new, that you’d order a pint of beer, and get a proper English pint, i.e., 568 milliliters. This was almost a universal constant. But now, with the popularity of craft beers in normal restaurants, it seems that if you order a pint, you get a crappy, little US pint, for the same price.