Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 07-02-2019, 10:37 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,541
In that case, I recommend you see the movie, particularly if you like Beatles music. It also helps if you like romantic comedies as Richard Curtis (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Love Actually, etc) is a master at them.
  #102  
Old 07-02-2019, 10:40 AM
aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 25,997
I probably will see it more than once.

I play and sing a lot of Beatles music. Their one of my original inspirations for learning guitar.
  #103  
Old 07-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,541
Did you ever see the movie Across the Universe? It's another movie that uses Beatles music but in an unusual way. (It was directed by Julie Taymor, better known for creating the stage musical version of The Lion King, and I think her stage background shows in the film.)
  #104  
Old 07-02-2019, 10:46 AM
aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 25,997
I'm not familiar with Across the Universe. It sounds interesting and will check it out. Netflix probably has it.
  #105  
Old 07-02-2019, 04:45 PM
jsc1953 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
In that case, I recommend you see the movie, particularly if you like Beatles music. It also helps if you like romantic comedies as Richard Curtis (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Love Actually, etc) is a master at them.
I fit this bill on both counts, and therefore had high expectations. It didn't disappoint...I loved it.

My only quibble is that Long and Winding Road was used in the write-off with Ed Sheeran. It may be my least favorite Beatles song.

I loved the recurring gag of other things besides the Beatles that vanished, confirmed by a quick empty Google search.
  #106  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:15 PM
xizor's Avatar
xizor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I loved the recurring gag of other things besides the Beatles that vanished, confirmed by a quick empty Google search.
I liked that as well. Especially when he googled
SPOILER:
coke


And the first thing google showed was
SPOILER:
Pablo Escabar
  #107  
Old 07-02-2019, 06:49 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
My only quibble is that Long and Winding Road was used in the write-off with Ed Sheeran. It may be my least favorite Beatles song.
SPOILER:
That was preceded by Jack being invited to be the opening act for Ed Sheeran on a European tour, flying with him to Moscow on a private jet and wowing the Russian crowd with Back in the USSR. At this point, Sheeran was suspicious, particularly when Jack claimed to have written the song on the flight over. Sheeran noted that the USSR dissolved two years before Jack was born (and many of the references in the song are dated, like the one about flying on BOAC or the Georgian girls), so Sheeran challenges Jack to a song-writing contest, with each given ten minutes or so to come up with something. Sheeran's song was OK but then Jack played The Long and Winding Road. Sheeran was totally blown away, cancelled the contest and admitted defeat. He was actually quite hurt that he was overshadowed and called himself Salieri to Jack's Mozart. I read a review that suggested that they might instead have had the hangers-on who were judging the contest still vote for Sheeran's song, since he's world famous, while Jack is a nobody.
  #108  
Old 07-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Mean Mr. Mustard's Avatar
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
...My only quibble is that Long and Winding Road was used in the write-off with Ed Sheeran. It may be my least favorite Beatles song.
It's not my only quibble (see below), but I'm glad it wasn't just me. As soon as I heard "The Long..." I was like, are you kidding me??

My other issue is the Kate McKinnon role. I'm not a fan of McKinnon anyway, to put it mildly, but whenever she was onscreen her overacting was like an ice pick to the base of my skull. Most unpleasant.


mmm
  #109  
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 PM
JohnGalt's Avatar
JohnGalt is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Med city USA
Posts: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Spoilers usually don't bother me. They help me decide if it's worth my trouble to schedule time to visit a theater and buy a ticket.

I understand others feel differently and I was careful to break that last link.

I agree, this movie will reintroduce a whole generation to the Beatles. It should dramatically increase sales of their old albums.

I worked with a lady named Michelle in 2002. She was about thirty at the time. I asked her if she was familiar with the song. She said not really. Some people said "my bell" and she didn't understand the significance.

I was stunned.
We were in Las Vegas in March, waiting for the Cirque du Soleil Love show to start (it's the one with all Beatles music), so we stopped in their gift shop. I mentioned to the young worker there that there was a new movie coming out in July, and it would introduce the Beatles to a whole new generation. Her reply was "they already know about the Beatles" (somewhat snobbily). I think she was wrong; lots of young people know who they are, but not many of their songs.

I loved the first half of the movie. The local town scenes and the "Let It Be" scene with the parents was hilarious; it reminded me of BBC show "Mum". It started to fall apart with the romcom story, though Lily James was downright cute (she reminded me of Zooey Deschanel in "500 Days of Summer"). I wish she was more integral with the Beatles discovery; perhaps she could say a phrase like "I picked up this guitar for you yesterday" which would lead Jack to remember that song. Instead, she was quite separate from the Beatles story, which is the reason most people wanted to see the movie.

Regardless, I enjoyed the movie and I was recalling parts of it days later, which is the mark of a good film. The highlight for me was
SPOILER:
seeing John Lennon reach old age, quite content with his life.
  #110  
Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 PM
Eyebrows 0f Doom is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,282
I enjoyed the film, but I feel like it could have done so much more with the concept. It also weirdly felt more like a film to just promote Ed Sheeran. I haaaaaated Lily James’s character btw. When she
SPOILER:
told Jack that he could either choose the career he’s always wanted, and has worked for since he was young, or he could throw it all away to stay with her, I was like “bitch, fuck that! You’ve been pining over him for years, you could have said something! Now you’re giving him an ultimatum?”
  #111  
Old 07-02-2019, 11:30 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,030
Today's kids know far, far, far more about music 50 years-old than our generation ever did. They know the Beatles, trust me. Hell, the kids in my daughter's then 8th-grade class went through a Sinatra phase, for God's sake.
  #112  
Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 AM
Son of a Rich's Avatar
Son of a Rich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Barsoom
Posts: 4,274
Shouldn't everybody be wearing Wally Cleaver style hairdos?
  #113  
Old 07-03-2019, 10:39 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,541
Why would they? The movie is set in the present day.
  #114  
Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Son of a Rich's Avatar
Son of a Rich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Barsoom
Posts: 4,274
Wally Cleaver hairdos are what a lot of guys had until the moptops came along.
  #115  
Old 07-03-2019, 01:13 PM
jsc1953 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,579
If the poor writers tried to zero-out the impact the Beatles had on culture as a whole, they'd go down an alt-history rabbit hole and never come out.
  #116  
Old 07-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,541
Plus, even without the Beatles, hairstyles would have changed.
  #117  
Old 07-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Snooooopy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Charlottesville, Va.
Posts: 10,267
Does the movie give a specific point of divergence? Maybe the main character discovers that the Beatles never formed because Paul McCartney died as a child or George Harrison's family moved away before he could join the Quarrymen? It's not a big deal if the movie didn't bother, because this isn't exactly a rigorous alternate history, but it would be neat if they threw something in.
  #118  
Old 07-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Stephe96 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gardner MA USA
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy View Post
Does the movie give a specific point of divergence? Maybe the main character discovers that the Beatles never formed because Paul McCartney died as a child or George Harrison's family moved away before he could join the Quarrymen? It's not a big deal if the movie didn't bother, because this isn't exactly a rigorous alternate history, but it would be neat if they threw something in.
No explanation is given.
__________________
Which is crazier? To the hear the
Voice of God when it's really only
thunder? Or to hear only thunder
when it's really the Voice of God?
  #119  
Old 07-06-2019, 06:14 PM
AlphaOmegaMan is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
We were in Las Vegas in March, waiting for the Cirque du Soleil Love show to start (it's the one with all Beatles music), so we stopped in their gift shop. I mentioned to the young worker there that there was a new movie coming out in July, and it would introduce the Beatles to a whole new generation. Her reply was "they already know about the Beatles" (somewhat snobbily). I think she was wrong; lots of young people know who they are, but not many of their songs.

I loved the first half of the movie. The local town scenes and the "Let It Be" scene with the parents was hilarious; it reminded me of BBC show "Mum". It started to fall apart with the romcom story, though Lily James was downright cute (she reminded me of Zooey Deschanel in "500 Days of Summer"). I wish she was more integral with the Beatles discovery; perhaps she could say a phrase like "I picked up this guitar for you yesterday" which would lead Jack to remember that song. Instead, she was quite separate from the Beatles story, which is the reason most people wanted to see the movie.

Regardless, I enjoyed the movie and I was recalling parts of it days later, which is the mark of a good film. The highlight for me was
SPOILER:
seeing John Lennon reach old age, quite content with his life.
I kept wondering how many times "John Lennon" hit and cheated on his wife in the Yesterday time-line.
  #120  
Old 07-06-2019, 06:45 PM
SlackerInc is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11,997
Grade A premise, grade C execution, averages to a solid grade of B overall. Not a masterpiece, but absolutely worth seeing.

Problems I had with it:

—I like Richard Curtis romantic comedies (some more than others), but I found it a waste of a cool premise to graft that on there.
—It didn’t ring true that the manager who kept begging him to not give up his music dream would suddenly give him an ultimatum to drop the whole thing and go back to Suffolk and be a teacher, or they are quits.
—Putting her on the big screen without asking was cringey, as was the pat resolution of her other relationship.
—The cameo from the erstwhile Beatle was a good idea, but lacked depth.
—The resolution of the movie overall was a bit goofy/simplistic, reminiscent of kids’ movies like “Country Bears” or “The Muppets”.
—They failed to acknowledge that the Beatles were not just great songwriters, but also great musicians, performers, and masters of visual iconography (we did see a hint of the latter in the sort of fantasy sequence, but no recognition that our protagonist may not be so capable in that regard).
—We didn’t see much depth to the love interest character, although the actor was charming.

There were parts I did find well executed (C is way better than F!):

—The blackout and accident
—“Why 64?”
—The whole scene with the new guitar and “Well, it’s not Coldplay”
—His Googling, including Oasis
—The random stuff like Coke, cigarettes, Harry Potter
—The dream sequence with James Corden
—Trying to play “Let it Be” for his parents
—The train tracks recording studio
—The songwriting contest with Ed Sheeran
—Kate McKinnon’s reaction when he tried to sneak his own song into the mix
—Ending with “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da”, which is one of my favorites but which often tops “worst Beatles songs” rankings and was hated by John Lennon as well
  #121  
Old 07-07-2019, 01:20 AM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 40,939
The wife and I watched it this afternoon. We thought it very good. Having Lily James as the love interest certainly never hurts either.
__________________
The two most interesting things in the world: Other people's sex lives and your own money.
  #122  
Old 07-07-2019, 09:53 AM
jsc1953 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy View Post
Does the movie give a specific point of divergence? Maybe the main character discovers that the Beatles never formed because Paul McCartney died as a child or George Harrison's family moved away before he could join the Quarrymen? It's not a big deal if the movie didn't bother, because this isn't exactly a rigorous alternate history, but it would be neat if they threw something in.
They certainly had the opportunity, during the climactic scene with John Lennon. But they didn't.
  #123  
Old 07-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,541
Why would in-universe John Lennon know anything about what happened to the others?
  #124  
Old 07-07-2019, 10:00 AM
jsc1953 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Why would in-universe John Lennon know anything about what happened to the others?
While having a cup of tea, our protagonist says "Hey, John....are you musical? Were you ever in a band?" And he says something like yeah, for a while in high school, but my bandmate got hit by a bus and we broke up.
  #125  
Old 07-07-2019, 03:32 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 40,939
Lennon had clearly gone to sea, and I had the impression it was at an early age.
__________________
The two most interesting things in the world: Other people's sex lives and your own money.
  #126  
Old 07-07-2019, 05:29 PM
aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 25,997
The Liverpool blitz could have easily erased any of the Beatles before they were even born. Their parents were teens during the war

John was born October 9, 1940 only two months before the Christmas Blitz. Ringo born July 7, 1940

Paul was born June 18, 1942. George Feb, 43

There was another intense Blitz in May 1941.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Blitz
Quote:
A series of heavy raids took place in December 1940, referred to as the Christmas blitz, when 365 people were killed between 20 – 22 December.The raids saw several instances of direct hits on air raid shelters; on 20 December 42 people died when a shelter was hit, while another 40 died when a bomb struck railway arches on Bentinck Street, where local people were sheltering. On 21 December another hit on a shelter killed 74 people.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-07-2019 at 05:33 PM.
  #127  
Old 07-07-2019, 08:20 PM
gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Today's kids know far, far, far more about music 50 years-old than our generation ever did. They know the Beatles, trust me. Hell, the kids in my daughter's then 8th-grade class went through a Sinatra phase, for God's sake.
Absolutely! Any young person into music has virtually every piece of music ever recorded instantly available to them, and a huge amount of data about the musicians. Back when I was a teen and an obsessed music fan, it could take me month or even years to track down an album, while they just have to search and find it on a music streaming service or YouTube.

Here's something a music teacher friend posted on FaceBook:
I had an amazing lesson with a piano student this evening. He said he had gone to see the new film "Yesterday". We began talking about The Beatles, and I was surprised he knew so much about their music that they went through four "eras" in just seven years; that they were courageous enough to experiment with style and sound that they risked losing their audience; that their lyrics were often multi layered and explored topics previously unaddressed in pop music. He was familiar with their less famous but significant songs. He understood that their cultural impact went well beyond the musical sphere. He shared with me that his great uncle helped George to learn the sitar (the boy is East Indian). This led to a discussion of the history of his native country, helping me to understand more of a place I know little about. We played no music but talked until nearly 9 p.m

He is eleven years old.

I LOVE my job.
  #128  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Grade A premise, grade C execution, averages to a solid grade of B overall. Not a masterpiece, but absolutely worth seeing....
Just saw the movie tonight, and I'd agree with this, and with most of the rest of your post, Slacker. Thanks. I have to say I felt a bit let down by the movie, since I was really looking forward to it, and I'm afraid it just didn't quite measure up.

FWIW, my three sons, two teenaged and one in his early 20s, all know the Beatles' music well and enjoy it.

IMDB's trivia page for the movie has some interesting background stuff, including that Chris Martin of Coldplay was first offered the part that went to Ed Sheeran - but the Coldplay joke was left in. And the flight attendant who offered Jack champagne is Sheeran's fiancee!
  #129  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:42 PM
K364's Avatar
K364 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 2,750
Isn't Let It Be in a different key? I found it off-putting. Need a better set of musical ears for this, not sure.

And I can't understand for the life of me why
SPOILER:
John Lennon didn't have his characteristic Liverpudlian accent. His bland nothing accent ruined the scene for me
  #130  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:41 AM
SlackerInc is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Just saw the movie tonight, and I'd agree with this, and with most of the rest of your post, Slacker. Thanks. I have to say I felt a bit let down by the movie, since I was really looking forward to it, and I'm afraid it just didn't quite measure up.

FWIW, my three sons, two teenaged and one in his early 20s, all know the Beatles' music well and enjoy it.

IMDB's trivia page for the movie has some interesting background stuff, including that Chris Martin of Coldplay was first offered the part that went to Ed Sheeran - but the Coldplay joke was left in. And the flight attendant who offered Jack champagne is Sheeran's fiancee!

You’re most welcome and thanks for the feedback! I enjoy being a rank amateur film critic.

Interesting trivia. I wish I could remember what the flight attendant looked like.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 07-10-2019 at 01:41 AM.
  #131  
Old 07-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Enola Straight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somers Point, NJ
Posts: 6,073
When Alternate John told Jack he needed some psychiatric help, I thought how perfect...or cheesy...it would be if Jack replied,"No, mate, all I need is love!"
__________________
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
  #132  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:44 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
...And I can't understand for the life of me why....
He might've been a long time gone from Liverpool, or for some reason wished to drop his accent.

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07-10-2019 at 08:44 PM.
  #133  
Old 07-11-2019, 02:16 AM
SlackerInc is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11,997
But the audience shouldn’t be unnecessarily given reason to find him unconvincing.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017