Old 04-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

The Dead Don't Die

This year's zombie movie. Youtube trailer here.

I'm not normally a fan of horror movies but this looks to be a scream!
Old 04-02-2019, 06:21 PM

I usually dont trust trailers anymore. But my buddy made me watch it the other day. And I still dont trust them. But BUT, I told my buddy all he had to say to make me want to see it is "Bill Murray is in a zombie movie"
Old 04-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
I usually dont trust trailers anymore. But my buddy made me watch it the other day. And I still dont trust them. But BUT, I told my buddy all he had to say to make me want to see it is "Bill Murray is in a zombie movie"
It's his second one. He's in Zombieland as well and I think they are making a sequel that will....somehow feature him again.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
It's his second one. He's in Zombieland as well and I think they are making a sequel that will....somehow feature him again.
Which is exactly why I watched that movie as well.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

It's a Jarmusch move, so I'd probably see it anyway, but Tilda Swinton's work as a make-up artist sells me on it completely.

Last edited by scabpicker; 04-02-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Yeah, count me in on a Jim Jarmucsh zombie movie.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Yeah, absolutely.

Jarmusch is in the running as greatest director of the last 25 years in my book. His last genre movie, 'Only Lovers Left Alive', may be the most thoughtful vampire movie there's ever been.

That he's giving a go to a zombie comedy? With that cast? It's going to be brilliant.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:34 AM

When I read the words 'Jim Jarmush zombie movie featuring Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits, RZA...', it instantly became my favorite film.

Also, in my head, it'll probably forever be called 'Coffee and Cigarettes and Zombies'.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:34 AM
Charter Member

It just needs a cameo by Arnie.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Zombieland 2: Double Tap comes out this October, and the zombie of Murray will apparently cameo. Dan Akroyd is listed in the cast as well...
Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 AM

I saw this last night, and I was mixed, overall on the positive side. The fourth-wall breaking in a few spots took me out of it and would have been better left out. But mostly it was hilarious, and Bill Murray, Adam Driver, and Chloe Sevigne were great together. Tilda Swinton continues to be the go-to actor for weird characters, and I enjoyed all the brief appearances by famous people as zombies or zombie chow.

Anyone else see it?
Old 07-08-2019, 03:58 PM

The fourth-wall breaking pretty much ruined it for me. I was just fine with the small town full of quirky characters facing the zombocalypse, but Driver and Murray talking about "the script" made me lose patience, had me comparing this film unfavourably to Drowning Mona.

Also, what was the point of the subplot about the three kids? They just wandered out of the movie at some point, never to return.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Yeah, absolutely.

Jarmusch is in the running as greatest director of the last 25 years in my book. His last genre movie, 'Only Lovers Left Alive', may be the most thoughtful vampire movie there's ever been.

That he's giving a go to a zombie comedy? With that cast? It's going to be brilliant.
I absolutely loved Only Lovers Left Alive. Does this movie have anywhere near the same vibe?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Yeah, absolutely.

I saw Only Lovers Left Alive and thought it was OK. I definitely appreciated seeing Tilda Swinton reprise that character on What We Do In Shadows.

Did you see her play Eve on WWDIS? She, Paul Reubens(from Buffy), Wesley Snipes(as Blade), and more reprised their vampire roles in it.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Also, what was the point of the subplot about the three kids? They just wandered out of the movie at some point, never to return.
Not quite. The zombified motel manager killed them in their room and we see the bodies later when the sheriff and deputies stop at the motel.

My wife and I both really enjoyed it. Hell, it was worth the price of admission to have confirmation that Tilda Swinton really is an alien.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
It's a Jarmusch move, so I'd probably see it anyway, but Tilda Swinton's work as a make-up artist sells me on it completely.
Agreed; she was the highlight of the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Zombieland 2: Double Tap comes out this October, and the zombie of Murray will apparently cameo. Dan Akroyd is listed in the cast as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I absolutely loved Only Lovers Left Alive. Does this movie have anywhere near the same vibe?
Not really and it's not as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Not quite. The zombified motel manager killed them in their room and we see the bodies later when the sheriff and deputies stop at the motel...
Did anyone else think it odd that they kept showing Selena Gomez's character's severed head without showing it reanimating.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Not quite. The zombified motel manager killed them in their room and we see the bodies later when the sheriff and deputies stop at the motel.

My wife and I both really enjoyed it. Hell, it was worth the price of admission to have confirmation that Tilda Swinton really is an alien.
It was the hipsters that were eaten. Bryan Ekers is talking about the kids who were in juvenile detention, and he's right, they seemed to serve no purpose. No jokes, no contribution to the plot, then they just disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Did anyone else think it odd that they kept showing Selena Gomez's character's severed head without showing it reanimating.
No, they'd "killed the head" and severed the spinal cord, so she was dead-dead. I quite liked the extended scene where he's just holding her head. If the movie stuck with incongruous scenes like that and skipped the "script" part, it would have been great.

Last edited by TroutMan; 07-08-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't mean the three twenty-somethings who were travelling in the old car. I mean the three teenagers who were in the juvenile detention center.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, I didn't mean the three twenty-somethings who were travelling in the old car. I mean the three teenagers who were in the juvenile detention center.
Gotcha. Yeah, but that kind of non sequitur is not unusual in Jarmusch's work. I get the impression that even when he has to edit out a subplot for sake of length, he'll leave in bits that he fell in love with during the shoot despite them seeming to not go anywhere in the final cut.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:30 PM

I don't mind non-sequitors. Tilda Swinton being a Scottish Buddhist alien is a non-sequitor. The three juveniles were just a waste of time and a loose end.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I don't mind non-sequitors. Tilda Swinton being a Scottish Buddhist alien is a non-sequitor. The three juveniles were just a waste of time and a loose end.
I think the 3 kids getting killed was based on all the other movies where teenagers get killed by zombies, serial killers , ax murderers, etc. Like the Halloween movies for example.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I think the 3 kids getting killed was based on all the other movies where teenagers get killed by zombies, serial killers , ax murderers, etc. Like the Halloween movies for example.
These are not those kids.

Zoe, Jack and Zach (Selena Gomez, Austin Butler, Luka Sabbat) are a trio of young adults who were driving through town, stopped at a motel and were killed there.

I am referring to Geronimo, Olivia and Stella (Jahi Winston, Taliyah Walker, Maya Delmot), a trio of teenagers who we first see at a juvenile detention center. They escape after the zombie outbreak, are shown in a few scenes sneaking through the town and at one point, one of them says something like "I know a place we can hide" and they disappear from the movie, to be neither seen or referenced again.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:04 PM

I would guess the 3 kids from the detention center probably had more scenes that were cut. The movie is only 103 minutes so it's really short .

or maybe it was the Chuck Cunningham syndrome

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...inghamSyndrome