Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 PM

My favorite stories so far are Garth Brooks’, and Waylon Jennings/Billy Joe Shavers’. Who would have guessed? (I’m not really into country music). Cool.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 07-12-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:45 PM

I saw D.R.I. in 1990 while they were touring in support of Thrash Zone. I think Murphy's Law opened up for them, along with a couple of local Tallahassee bands. Anyway, the first song of their set goes fine. We've got a good mosh pit going, everyone's been having a blast for a couple of hours. They start the second song and before the 2nd measure is done, the drummer LEAPS OVER HIS DRUMS and clobbers the guitarist, a vicious leaping fist to the back of his head. Mayhem ensues! The guitarist jams the head of his guitar into the drummer's stomach and then kicks him in the head as he goes down. Then he RAISED HIS GUITAR OVER HIS HEAD to smash the drummer; he actually started the downstroke and then got shoved by the singer leaving the stage and missed his mark. He did break the guitar tho. The drum kit is all over the stage now, the bass player walks off yelling "FUCK this!" and the crowd is going apeshit.

We have no idea what the hell just happened, barely 8 seconds into their 2nd song the night is over, cops are on stage, EMTs are on stage, the house lights come up and they hustle us out of the place.

I found out later that night from a friend in one of the opening bands that apparently the drummer had picked up a groupie a few days before. Well right before they went on, she confessed to him that she had fucked the guitar player the night before while he was passed out. He held it together for the first song and then just lost his shit all over the place.

Ok, another one that's not hilarious; it was memorable tho.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-12-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
I saw Deep Purple at Merriweather Post Pavilion on their Perfect Strangers tour. During the climax of the show, they played Smoke on the Water. You would think that such an easy song, played by pros, would be impossible to mess up but no.

At one point, a giant oversized beach ball, knocked around by the crowd, came flying on stage and nailed the bass player such that he almost fell over and he flubbed the main riff. Granted, it was only one time out of 800 or so repetitions. I doubt many of the headbanging crowd even noticed.

I remember thinking "did that really just happen?"
Hey! I was at that exact show as well!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:16 PM

Neil Innes told a story about when was buddies with the Beatles he took a girlfriend to meet them in the studio. McCartney was playing around with a ukulele and apparently the girlfriend couldn’t resisting ribbing him a bit and asked, “What is that? A poor man’s guitar?”

According to Innes, McCartney deadpanned, “No, it’s a rich man’s ukulele.”
when it's really the Voice of God?
Old 07-13-2019, 06:57 AM

In the 70s I went to see Rod Stewart in Pittsburgh. The opening act was a band nobody had heard of, Air Supply. The crowd hated them, booing from the first song, and they played a short set.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I saw D.R.I. in 1990 while they were touring in support of Thrash Zone. I think Murphy's Law opened up for them, along with a couple of local Tallahassee bands. Anyway, the first song of their set goes fine. We've got a good mosh pit going, everyone's been having a blast for a couple of hours. They start the second song and before the 2nd measure is done, the drummer LEAPS OVER HIS DRUMS and clobbers the guitarist, a vicious leaping fist to the back of his head. Mayhem ensues! The guitarist jams the head of his guitar into the drummer's stomach and then kicks him in the head as he goes down. Then he RAISED HIS GUITAR OVER HIS HEAD to smash the drummer; he actually started the downstroke and then got shoved by the singer leaving the stage and missed his mark. He did break the guitar tho. The drum kit is all over the stage now, the bass player walks off yelling "FUCK this!" and the crowd is going apeshit.

We have no idea what the hell just happened, barely 8 seconds into their 2nd song the night is over, cops are on stage, EMTs are on stage, the house lights come up and they hustle us out of the place.

I found out later that night from a friend in one of the opening bands that apparently the drummer had picked up a groupie a few days before. Well right before they went on, she confessed to him that she had fucked the guitar player the night before while he was passed out. He held it together for the first song and then just lost his shit all over the place.

Ok, another one that's not hilarious; it was memorable tho.
Wow, cool story. Were brothers Kurt (vocals) and Erick (drums) in the band then? I knew at least had a first name acquaintance with them in 1984 and 85 when they were still and hardcore band before going metal (splitting hairs I know). They truly were eating at soup kitchens and rehearsing like crazy circa Violent Pacification.

Maybe a funny story. Kurt told the story of eating at soup kitches and being vegan. Then when on tour in 84/85 they stayed at home in Texas, and he broke his fast because "the bacon Mom fried up smelled so good! I couldn't help it."
Old 07-13-2019, 09:13 PM

No, this was Felix that went crazy. Eric only played with them for a couple of years, leaving the band in '84.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Horrified Onlooker

I read this a long time ago, possibly in Rolling Stone. The story was that The Doors were playing in Seattle, IIRC during the later "slobbering drunk Jim" phase. Jim made a comment to the audience about never having played Seattle before; a voice from the crowd quickly reminded him that in fact they had played Seattle only a year or two before. Jim shrugged it off saying "oh well, Tempus Fuckit." (Deliberately garbling tempus fugit which in the context would have meant "time flies.")

I still think it's funny and I don't care who hears me say so.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Well of course nobody is gonna pay attention to Timothy Schmidt; they're all looking for Timothy B. Schmidt.
They aren't gonna pay attention to him either. They're all looking for Timothy B. Schmit.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If we can include country anecdotes we can include jazz anecdotes, right?

Al Cohn (famous bop tenor saxophonist): “Hey, where were you all day yesterday?”
Zoot Sims (ditto): “Out in Jersey, making a a record. Me and twenty mandolin players.”
Al Cohn: “My god, where did they find TWENTY mandolin players?”
Zoot Sims: “Let’s just say, all day yesterday in Jersey City, you couldn’t get a haircut.”

Also see the many exploits of trad/swing violinist Joe Venuti, including conducting the Paul Whiteman orchestra with his erect penis, and presenting one-armed cornet player Wingy Manone with a Christmas gift of one cuff link.