Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I've read and seen virtually everything Bourdain ever did - this is a total distortion and exaggeration of his attitude.
so have I- go back and rewatch the episode where the network forces Mr. Cool to appear on Andrew Zimmern's show. He doesn't even try to suppress his disgust at being forced to interact with someone so "unhip". Every response is a mumbled two or three words, not engaging in any way, not smiling, etc.

He *always* mocks the American tourists for not going into the DMZ for roadkill aardvark.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-15-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
He *always* mocks the American tourists for not going into the DMZ for roadkill aardvark.
Yeah, no he doesn't. He might complain about people going to Italy and then eating at an Olive Garden, but he spends plenty of time eating at regular restaurants on his show.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

I was watching his cooking videos on YouTube and here is someone who obviously enjoys cooking. It's a shame he has to act like an idiot on Kitchen Nightmares.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Plus the concept is nowhere near original to Bourdain- Andrew Zimmern did it seven years before Bourdain, and there were many others before him.
Exactly. In fact when TB started his show I thought he was one of those "too cool for school" copycats. I came around, but the fact is the format isn't owned by anyone.
If GR is not your cup of tea fine, maybe take it to the Pit?
-IQ
Old 07-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Bourdain was a jerk. Knowledgeable, passionate, and entertaining, but still a jerk. Ramsay has the same attributes, but a different personality. Neither has a copyright on the TV food travelogue.

I watch Ramsay mostly on Masterchef. Especially on the kids' version, he's the sweetest, most positive and encouraging guy ever. He'll get a little agitated when contestant tags are cooking for the public like a restaurant, but he tempers it knowing they're not professional chefs.

His "Ultimate Cookery Course" show, available on Prime video, would be my favorite cooking show ever if the camerawork and editing weren't so frenetic.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:36 AM

Here's a video I watched a while ago that showed me the difference between UK and US Ramsey. It's the same scene, as edited on each one. He seems so much meaner in the US version, especially with the part at the end.

(It's not as stark as I remember, though. But that music. UGH!)
Old 07-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Yeah, no he doesn't. He might complain about people going to Italy and then eating at an Olive Garden, but he spends plenty of time eating at regular restaurants on his show.
In fact in the episode about Los Angeles's Koreatown he ate at (*gasp*)... Sizzler.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Bourdain is an interesting case. Everyone thought of him as a "celebrity chef," except unlike most celebrity chefs, he wasn't famous for anything he had ever cooked, he was famous because he was a writer who wrote a classic book about the restaurant industry, who also happened to be a chef. Most of his actual cooking career he was just a line cook. He had worked himself up to executive chef at Les Halles, but he never had a restaurant of his own.

He was really just a charismatic guy who wasn't afraid to travel and meet people, knew something about food, and always had something interesting, compelling, or otherwise entertaining to say to the camera, which made him a great travel show host.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:06 PM

Has nobody watched Gordon Ramsay on MasterChef Junior? He's really great with kids.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Bourdain is an interesting case. Everyone thought of him as a "celebrity chef"...
From what I gathered, Bourdain himself disliked the "celebrity chef" label. He would often self-deprecatingly call himself a "mediocre utility-grade cook" or something like that.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Here's a video I watched a while ago that showed me the difference between UK and US Ramsey. It's the same scene, as edited on each one. He seems so much meaner in the US version, especially with the part at the end.
Thanks for that; it's really interesting how much the US version changed things just with music and editing.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Yes, the UK version is available on Amazon Prime. He's much more toned down, and genuinely helpful.

Not surprisingly, American audiences want to see him yell and swear at morons.
Except that he isn't the profane douchebag (generally) in Masterchef. He reserves that role for Joe Bastianich. Bastianich's behavior made me wonder just how he was raised by Lydia, whom I always enjoyed.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
It seems like for a while in the early 2000s, there was this trend of TV shows about British assholes coming to the US and being assholes to Americans. Wasn't there some show where a woman from the UK got paid to tell people they were terrible parents or something?
Supernanny? No, she was a nice lady.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Except that he isn't the profane douchebag (generally) in Masterchef. He reserves that role for Joe Bastianich. Bastianich's behavior made me wonder just how he was raised by Lydia, whom I always enjoyed.
Meh, it seems pretty obvious Joe is putting on an act (even if he seems to kinda enjoy it).
Old 07-16-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
True. But I like Joe. Except when he holds a fork like a guy in a prison movie and then scrapes his teeth on it! HATE that!

I was referring more specifically to the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares. But also yes, Gordon is definitely less "Ramsey" on Masterchef Junior.

Last edited by manson1972; 07-16-2019 at 06:50 PM.