Old 07-16-2019, 11:17 AM

Emmy nominations are out

Surprised to see Kit Harrington for GOT , there were others better than him such as Peter Dinklage.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/enter...019/index.html
Old 07-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

No Rhea Seehorn of Better Call Saul.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Great to see Schitt's Creek get a nomination for best comedy. I enjoy inventive shows like Barry and The Good Place as much as anyone, but there's also something to be said for a well-executed formulaic sitcom that is content to make the viewer laugh, feel a connection to the characters and dole out the occasional warm and fuzzy feeling.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Jeez o pete look at all those movie actors swooping in to get some Emmys. Didn't it used to be that TV actors aspired to movies and/or movie and tv actors were two distinct groups?

I'm also surprised to see that "When They See Us" has lead actors. I was surprised that Mahershala Ali won a "supporting actor" Oscar because I thought he was a lead, so at that time I decided "oh, ensemble casts must all be supporting actors." Looks like I didn't realize that Viggo Mortensen was up for Lead Actor so now the whole system confuses me.

Anyone have any insight as to how lead and supporting roles are defined?

The toughest category for me is Lead Actress in a comedy series. All of those women were FANTASTIC!!!

Oh and...does broadcast TV have any award-worthy shows anymore? Yeesh.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Bill Hader deserves it for Barry.

Haunting of Hill House was the best new show of the last year. I'm surprised it did not get more notice.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
No Rhea Seehorn of Better Call Saul.

Tough category I guess

Last edited by awldune; 07-16-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Jeez o pete look at all those movie actors swooping in to get some Emmys. Didn't it used to be that TV actors aspired to movies and/or movie and tv actors were two distinct groups?

I'm also surprised to see that "When They See Us" has lead actors. I was surprised that Mahershala Ali won a "supporting actor" Oscar because I thought he was a lead, so at that time I decided "oh, ensemble casts must all be supporting actors." Looks like I didn't realize that Viggo Mortensen was up for Lead Actor so now the whole system confuses me.

Anyone have any insight as to how lead and supporting roles are defined?

The toughest category for me is Lead Actress in a comedy series. All of those women were FANTASTIC!!!

Oh and...does broadcast TV have any award-worthy shows anymore? Yeesh.
I think the producer of the show decides if the actor is nominated for lead or supporting role.

as far as movie actors doing TV shows I guess sometimes they need a paycheck like the rest of us.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:31 PM

Randy Rainbow got a nom!
Old 07-16-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I think the producer of the show decides if the actor is nominated for lead or supporting role.
From the 2019 Emmy Rules:

"It is the decision of the entrant whether to enter as a lead, supporting or guest performer, however, only performers appearing in less than 50% of the eligible episodes are able to submit in the Guest Performer categories and only performers appearing in 50% or more of the eligible episodes for short form programs are able to submit in the Short Form Performer categories."

There was some talk about whether or not The Amazing Race was eligible; however, this was based on an article that said that this season would not start until mid-May, before CBS moved it a month earlier when Million Dollar Mile was pulled (and eventually burned off on Saturdays).
Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 PM

I know a couple years ago they revised the rules and if you're 30 minutes, you're a comedy and if you're an hour, you're a drama, but I'd like them to do some further revisions.

I love John Oliver and Sam Bee, but Colbert and Noah, etc, are on 4-5 days a week. Maybe break the category into "Weekly variety show" and "Multiple episodes per week" variety show of some kind. 1-2 here, 3-5 there or similar.

And for scripted series, it's broken down into limited series and regular series, but how about further for regular series? Series with 13 or fewer in one category, 14+ in another. It is a different beast when you have to crank out 22 episodes every season vs 6 episodes.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
I love John Oliver and Sam Bee, but Colbert and Noah, etc, are on 4-5 days a week. Maybe break the category into "Weekly variety show" and "Multiple episodes per week" variety show of some kind. 1-2 here, 3-5 there or similar.
It could be worse. For the 2008 Emmy awards David Letterman and Stephen Colbert (The Colbert Report) lost the Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program award to ... Don Rickles' doing a stand up special.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Springsteen on Broadway is up for Outstanding Variety Special. Since the show won a special Tony, Philadelphia won a Best Song Oscar, and Bruce has 20 Grammys, that will make Bruce an honorary member of the EGOT club.

Way to go, NJ's favorite son.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:11 AM

Honestly, if Michelle Williams doesn't win for Fosse/Verdon, it'll be a travesty. She completely disappeared into Gwen Verdon. It was amazing.