Old 07-02-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
I doubt it has anything to do with actual American style pizza, and everything to do with using US type ingredients, such as corn, or spicy chicken.
Oh, yes, I do realize that it's chosen because it's an American ingredient ("Mexican" pizzas there also usually get corn), but it still is weird to me, as it's not an American ingredient that is actually put on pizza. (And Texas isn't particularly associated with corn, eithe [though they do grow it and produce about 2% of it in the US], so that seems doubly odd to me that Pizza Hut's "Texas Pizza" is a barbecue chicken pizza with corn. I mean, we do have barbecue chicken pizza here. I don't really think of Texas when I think of it--but I can let that slide. Texas is one of the states associated with barbecue, so it can work, but it's associated particularly with beef barbecue. But I'm not going to split hairs on that. But the corn just seems an odd, gratuitous addition to me. I mean, if you want to up your American veggie count, through in some jalapenos pepeprs or red bell peppers or something like that.)

Of course, then we have "Hawaiian pizza" which follows the same logic, I guess.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-02-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
That serves you right for eating anything from a kiosk near Leicester Square, the tourist trap capital of the Capital.
Kiosk, my eye! This was a nice sit-down pizzeria that was packed with customers.

If I want to buy something from a street vendor in the UK, it'll be one of those red-food-dye-mystery-meat-burgers that come packed in tins. I love those!
Old 07-02-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Deep-dish won't damage your heart any more than your standard flat pizza. Considering the volume of tomato sauce they contain, I'd say even less so.
I was thinking more "all that cheese" - the pizza I normally have has a few separate slices of buffalo mozzarella , not a thick continuous layer of cheese.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I was thinking more "all that cheese" - the pizza I normally have has a few separate slices of buffalo mozzarella , not a thick continuous layer of cheese.
The deep-dishes I've had usually contained no more cheese than a flat pizza. It was just spread over a smaller area.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
The deep-dishes I've had usually contained no more cheese than a flat pizza. It was just spread over a smaller area.
Not going by the pictures I've seen, and depends on what you mean by "flat pizza" - I'm not talking Dominoes or Pizza Hut pizza, just margherita with separate slices of mozz, not the slices-connected-by-strings-of-melted-cheese things.

Note that I don't eat the latter, for the same reason I wouldn't eat deep dish.

Last edited by MrDibble; 07-02-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, American pizza are generally cheese-heavy compared to their European counterparts. It varies by pizzeria, of course, but on average, the application is usually more heavy-handed, though I have had quite cheesy pizzas across Europe, as well. But if we're just comparing specifically with Neapolitan pizzas, yes, no doubt heavier than that style. For American styles, a 12" pizza (30 cm) will generally have about 6-8 oz (175-225g) of cheese on it. Deep dish is around the same amount, though some places will cheese it up a bit more, but typically applied in slices of about 2 mm thickness to cover the bottom of the dough.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Not going by the pictures I've seen, and depends on what you mean by "flat pizza" - I'm not talking Dominoes or Pizza Hut pizza, just margherita with separate slices of mozz, not the slices-connected-by-strings-of-melted-cheese things.

Are you suggesting pictures are superior to actual experience?

And yes, I was talking about Domino's or Pizza Hut pizzas when I said "flat."

Last edited by terentii; 07-02-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
agreed, the 1st and 3rd images there are what I think of when considering american pizza. I don't do pizzas from the big chains in the UK but most of the independent ones I visit are much more in the neopolitan style, like your second image, Mozzerella is sparing, perhaps 20% coverage and the topping to bare crust ratio approaching 50-60%. The bread is king.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:00 PM

Yes, I believe we've established that your typical American and Italian pizzas differ greatly.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:05 PM

look if you can't pull your bite of pizza back up your esophagus via the mozzarella string

Last edited by Inner Stickler; 07-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Are you suggesting pictures are superior to actual experience?
Well, multiple pictures are superior to one person's experience, yes? All the pictures I see of cut-open deep-dish are way more cheese than I want in a pizza.

Last edited by MrDibble; 07-03-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Kiosk, my eye! This was a nice sit-down pizzeria that was packed with customers.

If I want to buy something from a street vendor in the UK, it'll be one of those red-food-dye-mystery-meat-burgers that come packed in tins. I love those!
Okay, apologies for side tracking the thread, but what are those??!
Old 07-03-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
Many (most?) Italian restaurants in Europe have a few small bottles of olive oil available to customers who want it, infused with garlic, chili, herbs or perhaps in Norway, walrus rectums.

I thought this was something everyone knew?
Wow, I thought I was the only one! I’m delighted by the great variety of infused olive oils that are currently available at the grocery store. I’m pretty sure I kicked off this trend many years ago.

I was in my kitchen, preparing a liverwurst and Limburger on cinnamon toast sandwich (the classic L&L on C) and when I reached for the olive oil, I thought to myself, hmm, you know, this olive oil needs a tad more flavor, perhaps an aromatic infusion of some sort is what it needs.

I didn’t feel like going to the market in search of some exotic ingredient to use for the infusion—it had to be something currently in my pantry. And, so, I began rooting around my cupboard, seeking the perfect ingredient for my olive oil infusion. And, lo and behold, I found it—walrus rectum!

Been using it ever since. Makes a great ice cream topping, too!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Okay, apologies for side tracking the thread, but what are those??!
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1cQ-h3iDcL.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bJ9bzAnZxh...2B21.11.33.jpg

I used to eat these in the rain late at night after a pub crawl. Acquired quite a taste for them, too.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Well, multiple pictures are superior to one person's experience, yes?
Uh, no. No, they're not.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:32 AM

Back when I was growing up in NYC, we used to get pizza from a place called Pal Joey's. It was so greasy, it was a tossup whether the oily contents would soak through the box and stain the car seat before you could finish the 5-minute drive home. If you'd added olive oil to their pizzas and then lit a cigarette in the vicinity, the resulting explosion could have leveled the neighborhood.

Drizzling olive oil on food has its uses, especially when broiling eggplant slices. And as far as the Brits doing it to pizza, it's better than soaking french fries in vinegar (ecch).
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
... Drizzling olive oil on food has its uses, especially when broiling eggplant slices. And as far as the Brits doing it to pizza, it's better than soaking french fries in vinegar (ecch).
Oh hush. It's horrendous when we do it, but I bet if you were served pommes de terre allumette avec une jus vinaigre you'd all be wetting your fucking pants over it.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Fries (chips) & malt vinegar are among the greatest British culinary combinations. Since most places in the US don't have malt vinegar available, I do the closest thing, and do fries + Tabasco/Texas Pete's/whatever vinegar-based hot sauce is available.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Uh, no. No, they're not.
Yes, yes they are.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Fries (chips) & malt vinegar are among the greatest British culinary combinations. Since most places in the US don't have malt vinegar available, I do the closest thing, and do fries + Tabasco/Texas Pete's/whatever vinegar-based hot sauce is available.
There's no way you order fish and chips in Canada and don't get offered malt vinegar.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:07 PM

Salt and malt vinegar, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 07-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
There's no way you order fish and chips in Canada and don't get offered malt vinegar.
That's the most likely place you'll find malt vinegar here in the US, as well. I don't live on the coast, though, so the fish & chips places around here are pretty much exclusively Irish/Scottish/English pubs, so they try to at least give the semblance of presenting you with cuisine as it might be served across the pond. That said, Long John Silvers, an American fastfood seafood chain, also has malt vinegar available, if I remember right (it's been years since I've been in one, as they've all disappeared from my immediate area. Shame, as they actually were pretty good, though people like to bash them for whatever reason.)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

ETA: Now that I think of it, I was at a pub several months ago (actually, not of the Irish/Scottish/English variety, just a regular pub) up in Madison, Wisconsin, where I ordered the fish & chips and the server had no idea what I was talking about when I asked her for some malt vinegar. I sheepishly demurred, saying, oh, don't worry about it. She did eventually come back to me with a bottle from the kitchen (by which time I had finished 90% of my meal) so I guess she asked around, but my request was apparently unusual enough to her that she had no idea what I was talking about.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-03-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:11 PM

5 Guys always has malt vinegar. It's a shame their fries are so bad.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
5 Guys always has malt vinegar. It's a shame their fries are so bad.
Oh, that's right. They do! (Though I think their fries are the best in the fast food business. But fries are a very personal thing.)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:47 PM

FTR, McDonald's in Canada also offers little packets of malt vinegar for their fries. Don't know if the other burger chains do, though.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Whaaaaaa?????????? Who pours olive oil on their pizza? I know in some quarters, folks dip pieces of bread into olive oil. But that's dry bread. Pizza has plenty of grease to begin with, why would you need more?
My dad managed a pizza place when I was a kid, and I remember him talking about how his employees would be baffled by the number of people who would ask them for "extra grease" on their pizzas which, since it isn't actually a thing, they didn't know how to respond to.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:

That first one is a “stuffed pizza” which is actually pretty rare outside of the Chicago area and is not the definition of “deep dish.” I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in person. All “deep dish” means is it’s baked in a pan with high sides rather than on a stone or other flat surface. Detroit style is another form of deep dish, as is the Sicilian sfincione it descended from.

This is why people are taking you to task for insisting things are a certain way just because you found a few pictures online.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:12 AM

Until this thread, I didn't realise that anybody would balk at drizzling quality olive oil (usually infused with flavour) on a pizza, especially if it is stone baked, since they usually come out much drier than those big old greasy American style ones.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 AM

Until this thread I didn't realize anyone drizzled olive oil on pizza. I have never heard of this before.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I go to Blaze Pizza mostly these days. The things that can be drizzled on the pizza after it's cooked are arugula, balsamic glaze, bbq drizzle, buffalo sauce, pesto, olive oil, and ranch. So while some people may have not seen olive oil drizzled on pizza after it's cooked, for some of us it's pretty standard.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
That first one is a “stuffed pizza” which is actually pretty rare outside of the Chicago area and is not the definition of “deep dish.” I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in person.
Do you ever refer to a stuffed pizza as a calzone, like on Seinfeld? (Just asking. )

Quote:
This is why people are taking you to task for insisting things are a certain way just because you found a few pictures online.
[VOICE OF ISAAC HAYES]: Right on! [Raises clenched fist.]
Old 07-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Do you ever refer to a stuffed pizza as a calzone, like on Seinfeld? (Just asking. )

No, a calzone is its own thing. and I definitely don't try to buy them with a mountain of pennies.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
No, a calzone is its own thing. and I definitely don't try to buy them with a mountain of pennies.
Just don't steal from the tips jar!
Old 07-04-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Just don't steal from the tips jar!

the part where Kramer is arguing with the pizza guy is literally* the hardest I've ever laughed at a Seinfeld episode.

*I mean that
Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Oh, that's right. They do! (Though I think their fries are the best in the fast food business. But fries are a very personal thing.)
It's the crust. I think they get steamed in the bag and the outside gets soggy and then they're all floppy. I like a nice crisp outside and a fry that can be held horizontally and not sag.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
It's the crust. I think they get steamed in the bag and the outside gets soggy and then they're all floppy. I like a nice crisp outside and a fry that can be held horizontally and not sag.
Huh. They're pretty crispy when I get them, but I only eat Five Guys dine-in, so they don't have time to steam in the bag and become limp. You can probably also ask for them fries to be done extra well.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1cQ-h3iDcL.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bJ9bzAnZxh...2B21.11.33.jpg

I used to eat these in the rain late at night after a pub crawl. Acquired quite a taste for them, too.
*Shreaks**Screams* I have never seen that stuff in my life. Looks Dis.Gus.Ting.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

New Haven style pizza gets olive oil drizzled on it after it comes out of the oven and just before serving, at least at Sally’s and Pepe’s.

I would only eat Italian food in England at a high-class joint where they understand it. I once grabbed a quick meal at a spaghetti joint and got a plate of over cooked noodles with (essentially) ketchup. I believe Brits are capable of cooking delicious food, but there’s something about the Italian style they just can’t wrap their brains around.

(Sorry if I’m repeating info already given, but I ain’t gonna read another three pages of SDMB pizza arguments.)

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 07-05-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I would only eat Italian food in England at a high-class joint where they understand it.
Believe it or not, one of the best pizzas I've ever had was at a little cafe in Brighton, on the south coast. It was a very simple little Sicilian-style pie with anchovies, black olives, and capers, and it was absolutely delicious.

Of course, it may have helped that the owner of the cafe was Sicilian.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I've seen Russians heat entire 12" supermarket pizzas in frying pans. Why they don't just stick them in the oven, I don't know.
I'm not Russian, but my oven broke awhile back and I haven't fixed or replaced it. I got a pizza cooker recently, but prior to that I would start pizzas in a pan and finish them under the broiler or toaster oven.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
It’s like buttering a donut. Yeah, I’d say it’s worth an eyebrow raise.
Yes, and eating the butter straight arguably would be healthier than eating the donut at all. That was my point.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Drizzling olive oil on food has its uses, especially when broiling eggplant slices. And as far as the Brits doing it to pizza, it's better than soaking french fries in vinegar (ecch).
I'm a Real American, and that's at least greatly superior to ketchup. Good french fries are best eaten plain (assuming that means they are salted/seasoned) or with vinegar. Real french fry places don't even offer ketchup.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
New Haven style pizza gets olive oil drizzled on it after it comes out of the oven and just before serving, at least at Sally’s and Pepe’s.

I would only eat Italian food in England at a high-class joint where they understand it. I once grabbed a quick meal at a spaghetti joint and got a plate of over cooked noodles with (essentially) ketchup. I believe Brits are capable of cooking delicious food, but there’s something about the Italian style they just can’t wrap their brains around.

(Sorry if I’m repeating info already given, but I ain’t gonna read another three pages of SDMB pizza arguments.)
We can all play this game. I had the worst pasta of my life in Key West - overcooked linguine swimming a jar of clam juice and dried parsley. The chef had clearly never seen actual linguine alla vongole and I couldn't eat it. At least quite a few Brits have actually been to Italy.

Last edited by SanVito; 07-16-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Take, for example, Dr Oetker's BBQ pizza from their "Big Americans" line of frozen pizzas. Or, their version of a Supreme Pizza, which also includes corn niblets in it as well. (Yes, those are frozen pizzas, but I've seen the same thing at some sit-down restaurants.)
Don't associate Dr Oetker's version of pizzas with anything sensible. They are born out of highly localised regional variations of pizza, with a version of "turkish" pizza possibly being their original big seller. They vary from country to country, and having lived in Belgium, Germany and the UK, you'd find there would be absolutely no overlap in pizza types in all of these.

But you'd find their turkish pizza in Germany, where there was a large Turkish population, would not be the same as the turkish version sold in Belgium, and they'd just not sell that in the UK at all.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
I'm not Russian, but my oven broke awhile back and I haven't fixed or replaced it. I got a pizza cooker recently, but prior to that I would start pizzas in a pan and finish them under the broiler or toaster oven.
Jamie Oliver does that, but the Russians had neither a broiler nor a toaster oven.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 PM

I don't know what kind of taste buds you all have where you don't seem to taste the vinegar in ketchup. Ketchup vs malt vinegar for fries is not as great a divergence as you all seem to think.

That said, any pizzeria that uses canned mushrooms (pickled), should be closed down. An infamia I say.
-IQ
Old 07-18-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob View Post
That said, any pizzeria that uses canned mushrooms (pickled), should be closed down. An infamia I say.
I agree, yet I love the occasional salad with canned mushrooms. The one restaurant I know where the salads come with canned 'shrooms by default is owned/operated by a friend. When I asked about the canned mushrooms he told me that he loves them, but a lot of customers are quick to say, "hold the mushrooms" when ordering a salad.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob View Post
I don't know what kind of taste buds you all have where you don't seem to taste the vinegar in ketchup. Ketchup vs malt vinegar for fries is not as great a divergence as you all seem to think.

There’s one place not too far from my house that actually gives you the option. For this particular pizza, surprisingly, I prefer the canned mushrooms. In no other context do I like canned mushrooms, but for the pizza at Villa Nova in Stickney, I opt for canned every time. But they at least give you the choice.