Old 07-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Got one good tomato so far, and zuc crop is gonna be Epic! Went nuts and planted artichoke all over the place, and most are going pretty well.

The kitchen window broccoli went nuts and is HUGE! Don't know what to do with it.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:25 AM

I took the advice of a knowledgeable garden center manager for heat-tolerant tomatoes and planted Cherokee Purple and a new hybrid of Big Beef this year. The Big Beef didn't keep their promise, and the only fruit on the vine now are ones that set during a brief cool spell a couple of weeks ago, but having any tomatoes in July at all is still an accomplishment*. But I am ecstatic over the Cherokee Purple! It's still producing more than I can use fresh, so friends, neighbors, and my freezer are getting their share. I was concerned about how they looked when ripening at first(back in April) - They are still green on about the bottom third when fully ripe, and the skin in that area can be a bit leathery. But boy howdy are they great! - deep red(not purple as the name implies), very solid, meaty flesh and many are big enough for a one-slice sandwich. They are my new favorite.

*For those in higher latitudes: Tomatoes require nighttime temperatures below 76 degrees to set fruit. That doesn't happen often in the summer in South Texas, so we traditionally plant a spring crop in February, tear them out in June/July and plant seedlings in August for a fall/winter crop.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:01 PM

After the late start things are looking better.

Picked first zucchini, yellow squash and cuke the other day. Did my third picking of green beans. (Got enough of those for Mrs. FtG to freeze some instead of eating them all in a couple days.) Getting a few banana peppers.

The tomatoes are having problems. Weak growth, deer eating them, etc. (I've never had deer eat tomato plants. The green beans, sure, but not tomatoes.) Plus some have fallen off for some odd reason. Mrs. FtG is trying to ripen one of those indoors. I am not hopeful.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Well, the weather this year has pretty much sucked. Cold and rainy for ages, and then hot as hell. So things took forever to get going, and then the greens bolted. We took literally a trunkload of bolted radishes and turnip greens and bok choy to feed my friend's chickens.

The strawberries were delicious, but are starting to peter out, as are the peas. The greens that didn't bolt have done fabulously well; there's an entire hedge of kale along the side of the garage. We gave away a couple of dozen raspberry plants, but they just keep coming back for more. The first round of squash and cucumbers and melons didn't germinate at all, so I planted a second round of which it looks like only the squash and maybe one or two cucumbers have germinated. Is it too late to plant more cukes?

Remind me next year not to sow the greens so thickly; they would probably be much happier if not crowding each other out. Same for the carrots.

We finally had a patio built in the backyard so we could have something to put the chairs on so they didn't sink into the mud when we sat on them, and I made a flower border around the edge. One side is rainbow chard (which I only planted a couple of weeks ago; it's rained so much that it took them a while to finish the job), and the other side is marigolds, nasturtiums, and zinnias, which are just getting going. (The 2 other sides are the back of the house and the sidewalk to the garage.)

Today will be some weeding of the flower bed in front, ripping out the peas, and planting 3 huge bags of some kind of wild iris that a friend thinned out. And maybe planting the ornamental cabbage seeds in front where the wildflower seeds never really did anything.

The garlic will be ready to harvest soon, and I'm thinking of planting more kale and beets in that bed for a fall crop, because they have done the best of anything this year.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

We had a nice rainy spring, and the weather has been great, so this is one of our best years ever.

We planted lots of onions, and got nice green onions and a bunch of respectable looking onions for the ones that we left in.
We had a very nice snow pea crop, just finished.
We did red leaf lettuce, and it was the best crop we ever planted. Beautiful, and much tastier than grocery store red leaf, which isn't bad.
We put in bok choy too late and it all went to seed. So that was a flop, but we'll replant in the fall.
One set of bean plants got eaten by slugs, but the other set has produced a few pounds already.
Eggplant is okay. It's coming along.
My tomatoes have exploded into a tomato jungle. Just a few have ripened, but I've had my first two BLTs already (with the garden lettuce) and I'm looking forward to more. There is a ton of fruit already. Plus, we have two volunteers which have tons of blossoms and some fruit on one. Last year all my tomatoes got eaten, so I'm excited about having enough this year.
One zucchini plant, and we're already giving it away. One yellow squash, which is okay, not great. And a bunch of volunteer butternut squash, already big. We were on a trip when they ripened last year so it was a bust (year before was great) but we'll have plenty.
We're already cooking from the Squash cookbook.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:37 PM

New potatoes are well under way, as well as courgettes/zucchini. Lettuce has been great, possibly because we haven't had any really hot weather (just to the south of London). Land cress is going great, rocket is like a weed.

Runner and French beans are just starting, peas are imminent, broad/fava beans are a couple of weeks away.

I overdid it on the pumpkin plants again. I always do.

j
Old 07-12-2019, 03:21 AM

Since the daily rain here in Central PA has turned into every other day things have started to grow much better.
My cherry tomatoes are pushing green mayor's.
I staked up the peas, yellow beans, green beans, pintos, and limas and they are climbing.
Two different kinds of watermelon and cantaloupe are growing good.
The potatoes are looking great.
I have above knee high sweet corn! That's my biggest win so far.
Really excited to see what's to come!
Old 07-12-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldKJ View Post
......I have above knee high sweet corn! That's my biggest win so far.
Really excited to see what's to come!
Above knee high is all very well, but I believe the objective is

Quote:
The corn is as high as an elephant's eye....
(Heh Heh)

j

SPOILER:
Oh what a beautiful morning.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 AM

Pro tip: Burdock is not a good choice for an ornamental edging plant for a walkway. Yes it's tough as hell, requiring basically no additional water once it's established, and stays green from early spring to late fall, and the huge leaves are eye-catching. But it's a very aggressive grower and needs to be cut back all the time, including the burr-bearing flower stalks if you don't want passersby getting all stuck with burrs later in the season. Lesson learned. Haven't figured out what I should plant instead once I rip the burdock out this fall, though.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Just harvested my first tomato (a Black Beauty) this weekend - very good.

The eggplant crop has been coming in for about three weeks. At 16 tubs of eggplants I may have overdone things just a bit - probably will have to begin freezing some of them soon. Sweet peppers are due soon, then there will hopefully be cucumbers, squash and beans.

The first ripe figs (Chicago Hardy and Italian honey fig look like the best bets) should be ready to harvest in less than a month.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 07-14-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:54 PM

It's been a pretty disappointing year so far for me, to be honest. It doesn't help that due to Uni work I basically didn't have any free time in April or up to the last week of May, and here that's peak sowing time. I had some OK broad (fava) beans, my first ever real crop of artichokes, some sprouting broccoli, and my rhubarb plants, despite only being planted last winter from spare cuttings that looked near death, are so huge that I've broken the rules and picked some. I've had a few raspberries and strawberries, not many, but they are still going, and most of the herbs are doing OK. Oh, and Sweet William flowers, they did pretty well, though they're mostly done now.

However... that's it. All the squash, kale, all the other beans, the corn, even the bleedin' spring onions, all completely eaten by slugs. Even the sage plant was shredded, and I've never had anything touch that before. The wasabi I bought I'm attempting to rescue inside, with one pitiful leaf just hanging on. I must have sown about 10 packets of seed which was scoffed the moment it peeped out the ground. The onion sets came back out the same size they went in, the garlic tops are fat and dead but there's no bulbs and the few straggly chard plants that survived the early slugs are all bolting, despite still being only snack size.

The season's not done, and now it's warmer and drier stuff the weather's not quite so slug friendly so things are doing slightly better, but the sheer quantity of bare ground is depressing, especially as something was planted in all of it.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

The sunflowers have all about run their course, so late next week I'm going to rip them all out and see if I can coax a crop of Yolo Wonder bell peppers from those pots (filled with new soil) before "winter." Should be able to - 80 days to maturity (mid-October) and I was picking peppers from last year's crop well into December.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:56 PM

The notorious vigor and tenacity of dill plants paid dividends today when I found a Black Swallowtail caterpillar in my (main) dill patch! I am now raising it to be a butterfly, and its name is Jamaica (ten points to anyone who can guess why).

I don't mind vigorous tenacious dill anyway because I use it a lot in pickle season and as an ornamental all summer, but the butterfly habitat bit was an unexpected bonus.

I am also rethinking the sentence of execution on the front-steps burdock, as it's now starting to put forth a profusion of actually kinda charming thistle-ish purple blossoms. Hmmm. And now that the near-constant rain has yielded to heat waves, I'm more appreciative of its ability to stay verdant with no watering.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
I am also rethinking the sentence of execution on the front-steps burdock, as it's now starting to put forth a profusion of actually kinda charming thistle-ish purple blossoms. Hmmm. And now that the near-constant rain has yielded to heat waves, I'm more appreciative of its ability to stay verdant with no watering.
Make sure you execute it before the seed is ripe!

otherwise both you and your neighbors will be regretting it for years to come.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:25 PM

Took up the last of the (first early) potatoes today. Ten, maybe fifteen kilos. I'll freeze some and leave the rest in a box in the garage. They'll be fine for a month.

Then, as the squash are overwhelming the aubergines/eggplants, I bit the bullet and transplanted all of the eggplants into the space left by the potatoes. We're pretty marginal for eggplants outdoors around these parts - they are just coming into flower. Not sure how they'll cope with being transplanted, but I don't think I had much choice, given what the squash are doing.

What do we think? Will they handle it OK?

j