Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Kyoto Animation fire: Arson attack at Japan anime studio...

Kyoto Animation fire: Arson attack at Japan anime studio kills 33

A sad day for Kyoto, for Japan, and for anime fans worldwide. The alleged arsonist has been caught. Right now, in the fog of (war), he appears to have no direct links to the studio.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:08 AM

I saw this last night before I went to bed and they had the toll at 13 people. 6 hours later it's 33. Ugh. What a senseless tragedy.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-18-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:37 AM

I was confused in reading the article. Why the hell would you head for the roof during a fire? Why wouldn't you run for the other exits?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I was confused in reading the article. Why the hell would you head for the roof during a fire? Why wouldn't you run for the other exits?
Perhaps the nutjob started fires at the exits. This doesn't appear to be a fire started in a single place.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If the proper emergency exits are unaccessible (for example if the arsonist purposefully set fires by the exits), some may go to the roof to escape the smoke and for a ladder rescue. It's only a 3 story building. Plus, people are panicky is crisis situations. What might seem obvious when one is sitting safely at home/work is nowhere near as obvious when the shit is hitting the fan.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Japanese media reported the fire might have been set near the front door, forcing people to find other ways out.
https://apnews.com/b10907eaf37945889d9ee4339df92aaa

An earlier account I read said that he had spread accelerant of some kind on the first floor, started the fire, then went to the 2nd floor and spread more accelerant before he fled the building.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-18-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
You're assuming the ground-level exits were an option. In many fires, this isn't the case. I've seen a few house fires in the news recently where the occupants were on the second floor, handing children out the window to rescuers - because they couldn't reach the exits.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:40 PM

All sides of the building.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:49 AM

A GoFundMe was started to help the company and victims recover. In a day's time, they've raised about $1.4M.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
"Shinji Aoba is suspected of starting the fire that killed 33 people and injured dozens more at Kyoto Animation aka KyoAni in Japan on July 18. There were around 70 people inside of the building at the time of the fire. The Kyoto offices are located in a residential area in the city of Kyoto, which is 30 miles north of Osaka.

Aoba was initially apprehended by a Kyoto employee and later taken into custody by police who had arrived on the scene. The suspect suffered burns to his face, chest and legs. Reports from Japan says that Aoba has yet to be questioned by investigators as he is under sedation at a hospital. NHK in Japan reports that Aoba admitted to starting to fire when he was first taken into custody...

Witnesses told BBC News that Aoba could be heard complaining that Kyoto had stolen and plagiarized his novel prior to allegedly setting the fire.
Officials in Japan have not definitively stated what they believe Aoba’s motive was. In the weeks leading up to the fire, the company’s president said that threatening letters had been received at their offices."
https://heavy.com/news/2019/07/shinji-aoba/

Last edited by PastTense; 07-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:42 PM

https://apnews.com/8a893462b76e41139048b5a50f34ff5d
Quote:
Witness accounts and reports suggested the man had a grudge against Kyoto Animation, but police only have said the suspect Shinji Aoba, 41, who is hospitalized with severe burns and unable to talk, is from near Tokyo and did not work for the studio.
Quote:
The man told police that he set the fire because he thought ”(Kyoto Animation) stole novels,” according to Japanese media. It was unclear if he had contacted the studio earlier.
Quote:
“They are always stealing. It’s their fault,” he told policemen bending over and asking him why he set the fire, according to a witness who described the scene outside her house. The man complained bitterly that something had been stolen from him, the witness told NHK and other networks.
So sad; so senseless.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
A GoFundMe was started to help the company and victims recover. In a day's time, they've raised about $1.4M.

So vastly less money (and vastly less news coverage) than an old church where nobody was hurt.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

We're Americans. We don't need no ferrin' news. CNN sends me notifications whenever Taylor Swift does something (really, how can I turn off celebrity notifications?). BBC sends me real news notifications, like this. Home-grown, non-muslim nutjob in Kyoto kills over 30 at an anime studio...only anime fans will care in the US. No major US news outlet caters to that segment.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
We're Americans. We don't need no ferrin' news. CNN sends me notifications whenever Taylor Swift does something (really, how can I turn off celebrity notifications?). BBC sends me real news notifications, like this. Home-grown, non-muslim nutjob in Kyoto kills over 30 at an anime studio...only anime fans will care in the US. No major US news outlet caters to that segment.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not an anime fan, but this saddens me. A nutjob sets a fire that kills over 30 people. You don't have to like anime to care.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I'm not an anime fan, but this saddens me. A nutjob sets a fire that kills over 30 people. You don't have to like anime to care.

NBC news (the channel I watched that night) gave the story around a minute or less, maybe 20 minutes into the broadcast. I'm usually the one doing eye-rolls at calling news coverage racist, but that sure as hell stood out to me--why did a mass murder get such perfunctory attention?
Old 07-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
No, you have to have empathy and humanity to care. But as noted, no US news coverage. It's still on BBC's front page, and not on CNN. The US (in general) expects the world to care and know about what happens here, but not vice versa.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
No, you have to have empathy and humanity to care. But as noted, no US news coverage. It's still on BBC's front page, and not on CNN. The US (in general) expects the world to care and know about what happens here, but not vice versa.
I saw this covered on CBS This Morning.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Another victim has died, raising the toll to 34. I haven't been able to find a list of the dead, though one article said that 20 of the victims were female, and most died of carbon monoxide poisoning in stairwells.

I saw one of their feature films in the theater a few months ago. It was an unusual and beautiful movie called A Silent Voice. This is what I tweeted about it.

Quote:
39) A Silent Voice @ Rosemont. Japan. Directed by Naoko Yamada (female!). From IMDB: "A young man is ostracized by his classmates after he bullies a deaf girl to the point where she moves away. Years later, he sets off on a path for redemption." Very unusual, very good.
I've been fearing that Naoko Yamada is a victim. I hope not. It's so sad and senseless.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-away/.149151
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
NBC news (the channel I watched that night) gave the story around a minute or less, maybe 20 minutes into the broadcast. I'm usually the one doing eye-rolls at calling news coverage racist, but that sure as hell stood out to me--why did a mass murder get such perfunctory attention?
Because this particular mass murderer didn't use a gun to commit his crime. He callously refused to fit the mainstream media/liberal playbook that guns are inherently evil and are only used for evil purposes. They can't get any mileage out of a crime like this -- their narrative is that everybody would be jolly and wonderful and live happily ever after if only we had more gun control than we already do. Even most of the nuttiest anti-gun nuts realize that the public would mock them if they called for "fire control." So they simply ignore the crime as much as they can.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
I saw one of their feature films in the theater a few months ago. It was an unusual and beautiful movie called A Silent Voice. This is what I tweeted about it.
I've never seen the anime, but you might want to take a look at the manga that the movie was based on. Here is something I posted to it elseweb in 2016. (Spoilered for spoilers.)
SPOILER:
The story is about a mostly deaf girl who is transferred into a middle-school classroom and is bullied, and the primary bully who feels very guilty about his role years later. Started off as a one-shot, was rebooted as a series that ran for 62 chapters. It has flaws: it would have been more compelling to have the deaf girl be the viewpoint character instead of the reformed bully; there is a bit of a “white knighting” feel to the relationship; as it is expanded from a one-shot to a fairly long-running series it experiences the near-inevitable loss of focus as more characters must be added and new storylines invented. But it was apparently good enough to get some sort of endorsement from the Japanese Federation of the Deaf, and I consider it worth reading even with its weaknesses. Read here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
I've been fearing that Naoko Yamada is a victim.
From here:

Quote:
Music producer Suguru Yamaguchi posted on Twitter that one of the studio’s star directors, Naoko Yamada, has been accounted for and is safe. While there are unconfirmed rumors floating around online about others who died in the event, the names of the deceased have not been released at this time.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:08 PM

A new article.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
only anime fans will care in the US.
This has been making the rounds of Facebook groups for animation in general, not just anime.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-19-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

From here:
Thank you for that! Thank you too for the information about the manga and the updated article.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Because this particular mass murderer didn't use a gun to commit his crime. He callously refused to fit the mainstream media/liberal playbook that guns are inherently evil and are only used for evil purposes. They can't get any mileage out of a crime like this -- their narrative is that everybody would be jolly and wonderful and live happily ever after if only we had more gun control than we already do. Even most of the nuttiest anti-gun nuts realize that the public would mock them if they called for "fire control." So they simply ignore the crime as much as they can.
At least it took 20 posts for someone to attempt to put a partisan spin on tragedy, happily ignoring the several obvious reasons why it hasn't received enormous attention in the US. Congratufuckinglations.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Oh. Oh dear.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bwuh?

You are incorrect: from my personal experience ABC, NBC, and WGN (OK, not national but still regional) CNN and the New York Times have all covered this. So... factually untrue that "no major US news outlet" is mentioning it.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
At least it took 20 posts for someone to attempt to put a partisan spin on tragedy, happily ignoring the several obvious reasons why it hasn't received enormous attention in the US. Congratufuckinglations.
I was browsing a forum that's far more to the left than Straight Dope and for whatever reason it too devolved into gun control laws too with absolutely no prompting.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Bwuh?

You are incorrect: from my personal experience ABC, NBC, and WGN (OK, not national but still regional) CNN and the New York Times have all covered this. So... factually untrue that "no major US news outlet" is mentioning it.

It isn't that they didn't cover it, it was way down on the list of minor stories instead of a top headline as most mass-murders are. And in contrast to when the entire news media became wall-to-wall "an old church is on fire" just recently.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Quote:
Wow, you were really bound and determined to find some way to squeeze in a dig at he liberals in a non-political thread, weren't you? You already know that that's inappropriate, but apparently you need another reminder. Well, here's a Warning to remind you.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
It isn't that they didn't cover it, it was way down on the list of minor stories instead of a top headline as most mass-murders are. And in contrast to when the entire news media became wall-to-wall "an old church is on fire" just recently.
I think Notre Dam is more justified than whenever some waitress gets a bad tip and for whatever reason CNN thinks it needs to be their top news story on their website.

Similarly that gas station attendant that got told to "go back to their own country" got far more news coverage in the US than this.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 PM

Another new article.