Old 09-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
You should have watched “The Amazing Alexander” instead. I loved it. It was much better than “Cats”. I went to go see it again and again.

Stranger
THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you!

This episode of SNL, and this particular skit/sketch, was one of the first bonding moments with my gf/now-wife back in 1986/87 and I've been looking for it ever since. The line "It was much better than 'Cats', I will see it again and again" is still a touchphrase with us, one we have to explain whenever we let loose with the quote in polite(r) company.

Again, thanks for the link!

Last edited by JohnT; 09-06-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

As Colibri said, plot is not required.

There is the musical Revue.

And the Jukebox musical
Old 09-06-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Also "The Heaviside Layer". And it seems to me that there was another one, too, but I can't remember which one it would be.
Must be "Grizabella: the Glamour Cat" - considered "too sad for children" and left out of Old Possum's Book, like you said.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:44 PM

My sister, mother, and I went to see it a few years ago, in between my sister's birthday in January and mine in February. It was kind of a last-minute thing and we ended up in the balcony, but it was extraordinary. Unfortunately, this was before Mom got her cataracts out, so she wasn't able to enjoy it as much as my sister and I.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
T.S. Eliot was talking with a child about his angelical cat, and the child asked "What's a jellicle cat?"
No, it's a child's corruption of "dear little cat".

And pollicle dogs are "poor little dogs".

Cite

Last edited by GreenWyvern; 07-20-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:15 AM

I will be seeing it next month.

My main Cats reference is David Letterman occasionally singing "Midnight, and the kitties are sleeping..." on Late Night with David Letterman.

mmm
Old 07-20-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Sure, you can make a good spectacle without any plot, but why not have both? Compare, say, Les Miserables. The original book by Victor Hugo is great, yes, in that he really makes you feel what the characters are feeling, and live the story they're living, but yes, it's a lot of work. One might thus reasonably criticize it for being too "highbrow". But the musical, by making the music work with the story, makes all of that more accessible. You don't need to go to a lot of work to reach Victor Hugo's masterpiece. Even if you go in not hoping or expecting to get the meat of the work and just want to appreciate the music (which is also great on its own merits), a lot of it will stick anyway.

By contrast, T. S. Eliot can certainly be inaccessible at times, but Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats is not at all: Anyone who's had cats will recognize at least some of the characters. And Weber, when he turned it into a musical, made it less accessible. Yeah, there's spectacle, but that's all there is. And even just by that narrow measure, there are plenty of Broadway shows with more spectacle, while still being more substantial (even several by Weber himself).