Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
For the second time on this page...

There are two more episodes to come.

Episode titles...

SPOILER:

3/12 Congregation
3/13 Abaddon's Gate
But they're being presented as a two episode finale next week.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
But they're being presented as a two episode finale next week.
Oh, cool. Didn't know that, thanks.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
I was wondering why the Nauvoo/Behemoth appeared to be both designed to have gravity by acceleration like all the other ships and have a section for spin gravity.
This isn't a spoiler, but it's from the books so I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case anyone is a stickler for those things:

SPOILER:
The standard gravity-by-acceleration design was for the beginning and end of the multi-century travel when they are accelerating and decelerating. The rotating drum was for all the years in between when they'd be on the drift. The book explanation for not being able to accelerate the entire time was insufficient reaction mass, and concerns with relativistic effects if they approached the speed of light.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:04 PM

I really liked this episode; it was a good follow for last weeks Big Mystery ending.

I have not read the books, so to me it looks like Bobbie could have trouble from her fellow Marines. I don't think it will go well for them.

I loved that Anna was so pissed off that she suited up and followed Melba out into the freaky void. Sure, it's pure fiction, but it was delicious.

Loved that they brought up the difficulties in healing in low gee.

Totally wish that Drummer had just saved herself.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I have not read the books, so to me it looks like Bobbie could have trouble from her fellow Marines.

The books wouldn't help you on this--the series has diverged greatly from the books. The character of Bobbie (who is supposed to be a 2-meter tall 100 kg muscular Polynesian, BTW) isn't even in the book this season is based on. The whole sequence of Holden traveling to the station and being captured by the Marines is maybe 5% similar to the sequence in the book.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
The books wouldn't help you on this--the series has diverged greatly from the books.
I figured that might the case, but source material has a way of creeping back in...
Quote:
The character of Bobbie (who is supposed to be a 2-meter tall 100 kg muscular Polynesian, BTW) isn't even in the book this season is based on.
That's my kinda woman! I can see where casting for that role might have been difficult tho.
Quote:
The whole sequence of Holden traveling to the station and being captured by the Marines is maybe 5% similar to the sequence in the book.
When the series is all over I intend to give the books a whirl. Or maybe if it reaches a GoT moment where the series is actually ahead of (or beyond) the books; that would work too.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Or maybe if it reaches a GoT moment where the series is actually ahead of (or beyond) the books; that would work too.

Don't hold your breath on that. The TV series is reaching the end of book 3. There are 7 books so far with the 8th coming out in December and possibly an unnamed 9th in 2019. (All of the earlier books more-or-less wrap up their stories at the end, book 7 is a cliff-hanger.)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:02 AM

Ah, ok. I thought there were only 3 books. Important question: were any published in hardcover?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:16 AM

No idea--mine are all electronback.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Ah, ok. I thought there were only 3 books. Important question: were any published in hardcover?
Looks like Amazon has every one in hardcover except the first.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:21 PM

I thought y'all would enjoy this VICE article: 'The Expanse' Is the Epic Sci-Fi Show You Need in Your Life
Quote:
You should thank diehard fans for saving it from the cold vacuum of cancellation, because now you can stream it on Amazon.
There's a bunch of reasons given for watching the show (the attention to detail, the cast, the awesome-ly fast moving story, the multiple storylines, etc.).

It ends with this:
Quote:
The plot, cast, and fanatical attention to detail—the scripts are apparently color-coded to denote the gravity in the scene—has spawned a fanbase who went to great lengths to campaign for the show when it was initially canceled in May. An online petition to “Save The Expanse” gained 138,00 signatures, and one fan even flew a plane with a banner reading “Save The Expanse” over Amazon Studios. Luckily the show was picked up by Amazon, and will return for a fourth season.

Luckier still, it’s all available for streaming now, and waiting for new converts to dive in.

I think it's a pretty good article and a very good advert.

ETA: NO SPOILERS FOR TONIGHTS SHOW(S) PLEASE! I'm at a gig and can't watch them until tomorrow night.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-27-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

The scene with Anna's friend after the sudden stop was... penetrating. The effects were spot-on, too. She was obviously crying, but her tears were seen welling in her eyes instead of running down her cheeks. They could have left the tears out altogether and probably no one would have noticed. But they clearly had an attention to detail and put in the tears.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:56 PM

Okay, wow. Loved the ending!

It's great that it's been picked up for another season, but I have to say, if they'd had to end on this note, that would have been okay.

SPOILER:

One thing I loved is that, even though we had multiple factions with mutually exclusive goals, no one was really the Bad Guy. They were all trying to do right, based on the information they had at the moment. Sure, it turns out that the Big Damn Heroes were the ones with the right answer, but that doesn't negate the sacrifices that the other guys were willing to make, based on their understanding of the situation.

Really well done episodes.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:41 AM

Y'all totally fucking rock!

Was able to watch them both tonight and my initial reaction is:

HOLY JUMPING FUCK KRINGLE ON A GODDDAMNED CRACKER!!!!

Abaddon's Gate was quite probably the single greatest TV episode I've ever seen. Fucking amazing. FAR too many moments to list them all. And an absolutely stunning final development that leaves me OH so glad that this got renewed! Thank you, Jeff Bezos & Amazon!

Horatius, I also love that that has been a central conceit of the show since the beginning. The show, like life should be, is largely about how and why people interact: what is worth doing & why?

I am just blown away by these last 2 episodes. I'll prolly watch them again in the next couple of days just to see what I missed.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:18 AM

That would have been a great series ender if it hadn't been picked up by Amazon.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
So (spoilers for books, speculation for series ahead)
SPOILER:
There is only the one gate visible in the Slow Zone. Do you think that they are going to wait for the station to be shut down and have the other 1300-ish suddenly appear to be more dramatic?

Yep.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
That would have been a great series ender if it hadn't been picked up by Amazon.
Aside from the lack of Chrisjen I agree. Not just 1300 systems to explore, but 1300 systems with habitable planets!
Old 06-30-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Aside from the lack of Chrisjen I agree.
She has been pretty absent recently, hasn't she? And Fred Johnson...where's he been through all of this? I guess those guys (and others) were all cut off communications-wise while the group of spaceships was trapped in there.

What a great show! I am saddened that it's going to be awhile before it comes back.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:39 PM

Soooo... just caught up on the 2 episode finale and I really liked it. Really.

But...

a.) No Chrisjen.

b.) I didn't buy Clarissa's redemption.

c.) Not going to spoil the books but... I can see they sketched out some of the high points from the books final battle on the Behemoth but this is definitely an area where the show fell short in my opinion. I realize they had time constraints of 13 episodes, a 2 episode finale, etc., but everything just seemed too... quick. It was really good but it missed the mark for me of "great".

d.) Most importantly, in my opinion they really did not sufficiently convey the underlying fear that Holden was trying (but failed in the show) to express. We've seen how incredibly powerful the proto-molecule is, it can convert massive amounts of mass to its purposes to build a gate. The same race who made the proto-molecule made the station and of course all the other gates to the 1300 worlds. Clearly a very advanced race with powers that dwarf humanity. The proton-molecule, the station, and the 1300 gates are "Oh. Shit." story pieces. But then it seems they only kinda tap-danced around the fact that something else was significantly more powerful out there that was a threat. So much so that the station attempted to burn entire systems to stop it, and ultimately failed. That's the real "OH. SHIT!" moment in the story and it was just kinda flat in the show.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
... But then it seems they only kinda tap-danced around the fact that something else was significantly more powerful out there that was a threat. So much so that the station attempted to burn entire systems to stop it, and ultimately failed. That's the real "OH. SHIT!" moment in the story and it was just kinda flat in the show.
I didn't read the book but perceived it being stated with huge oh-shitness but left there, more as foreshadowing for seasons to come.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:47 AM

I wondered while reading the book how they were going to handle the whole "like, woah, man!" vision scene. I don't think they handled it well.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
I didn't read the book but perceived it being stated with huge oh-shitness but left there, more as foreshadowing for seasons to come.
That really seems the most likely explanation -- enough of a revelation to explain the panic everyone was in, but not get bogged down in backstory.
SPOILER:
Particularly since that backstory will be easier explained when they start adapting Cibola Burn -- they can actually have Miller talk through the backstory, instead of just portraying it in a Holden vision-quest.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:07 PM

I liked the idea that you don't have wormholes/stargates leading from every place to every other place, but rather a central depot from where you can choose your destination.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
b.) I didn't buy Clarissa's redemption.
Me neither and I doubt we're the only ones; it was poorly done (and unsatisfactory besides).
Old 10-21-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
I liked the idea that you don't have wormholes/stargates leading from every place to every other place, but rather a central depot from where you can choose your destination.
Same here, assuming it's possible that's how a wormhole network would actually work (as opposed to the Stargate model.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2018, 03:29 PM

Near as I can tell, filming was supposed to start last month for S4. I looked around online but I didn't see anything confirming that filming started at all.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-21-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:23 AM

Filming began October 1. Game on!
Old 10-22-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Me neither and I doubt we're the only ones; it was poorly done (and unsatisfactory besides).
It felt like the producers had gotten word that Season 3 might be the end and so they wrapped up all the plot threads as briefly as possible.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
"Good news, everyone!"
Old 04-04-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Don't hold your breath on that. The TV series is reaching the end of book 3. There are 7 books so far with the 8th coming out in December and possibly an unnamed 9th in 2019.

And that 8th book was delayed from Dec 2018, but it is out now.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:39 PM

I haven't been able to find anything, but is there a firm launch date for season 4?
Old 04-04-2019, 10:40 PM

Last I heard was from February:
Quote:
As to when that will happen, “Hopefully, we are working toward having it on before the end of the year,” he said, later reiterating that the plan for The Expanse is to return before the end of 2019.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
And that 8th book was delayed from Dec 2018, but it is out now.
An unnecessary bump to say I just finished the 8th book (Tiamat's Wrath), and I thought it was one of the best yet. IMO, the series hit a low spot with Nemesis Games, but it has been steadily climbing since.

And they're still saying end of 2019 for season 4. Can't wait!
Old 05-29-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I figured that might the case, but source material has a way of creeping back in... That's my kinda woman! I can see where casting for that role might have been difficult tho.
Yeah, she's described as basically being some kind of hot looking female version of Dwayne Johnson. As in, 6'6", 220 lbs, fit and muscular, as well as pretty.

I suspect Frankie Adams is about as good as they were likely to do as far as casting is concerned- she's a 5'11" Samoan boxer/actress.

And I agree with Mean Joe. They did a poor job of conveying the sense (through Holden) that as powerful as the protomolecule is, there was a race that created it and the gates. And that there's something ELSE out there that was wrecking them wholesale- enough so that they started wasting entire star systems to try and defeat/stop it. And that they failed.

That's kind of the underlying simmering fear that underlies the next stage of the overall story, and they haven't done much of a job of setting that up. Maybe the plan is to set it up as they expound on Cibola Burn's storyline.

SPOILER:

I have fears that they'll fuck Cibola Burn up though, since it takes place almost exclusively on Ilus/New Terra and is very Holden-centric, and the showrunners will feel like they have to introduce a lot of spaceflight stuff and ensemble cast stuff to keep people interested, and probably end up changing the storyline for the worse to accomodate it.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
And I agree with Mean Joe. They did a poor job of conveying the sense (through Holden) that as powerful as the protomolecule is, there was a race that created it and the gates. And that there's something ELSE out there that was wrecking them wholesale- enough so that they started wasting entire star systems to try and defeat/stop it. And that they failed.

That's kind of the underlying simmering fear that underlies the next stage of the overall story, and they haven't done much of a job of setting that up. Maybe the plan is to set it up as they expound on Cibola Burn's storyline.

SPOILER:

I have fears that they'll fuck Cibola Burn up though, since it takes place almost exclusively on Ilus/New Terra and is very Holden-centric, and the showrunners will feel like they have to introduce a lot of spaceflight stuff and ensemble cast stuff to keep people interested, and probably end up changing the storyline for the worse to accomodate it.

Thank you! :-D. I think you bring up a good point, with Cibola Burns the story becomes very self-contained to Holden and Ilus/New Terra. For me I disliked that divergence from the broader story and involvement of the crew that had been told so far. I mean, I get in context of the broader story you're going to have these conflicts with settlement of these worlds but this just was too focused on the events on-planet so to speak and that is what this story is about but... I dunno, I just didn't like it as much.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you! :-D. I think you bring up a good point, with Cibola Burns the story becomes very self-contained to Holden and Ilus/New Terra. For me I disliked that divergence from the broader story and involvement of the crew that had been told so far. I mean, I get in context of the broader story you're going to have these conflicts with settlement of these worlds but this just was too focused on the events on-planet so to speak and that is what this story is about but... I dunno, I just didn't like it as much.
I have faith they will expand the story beyond Ilus and Holden by pulling in content from later books or the novellas. Remember, Avasarala was in season 1 despite not being a character in the first book at all. The showrunner said "The book Cibola takes place entirely on Ilus... We are going to tell that story in Season 4, sure, but we’re not leaving Earth and Mars and the Belt behind."

That said, Cibola Burn wasn't my favorite book, so I do share some of your concern.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:27 AM

I'm pretty sure they'll start investigating the
SPOILER:
ships vanishing while passing through the ring gates
and the
SPOILER:
parts of the Martian fleet also mysteriously vanishing
while the Roci is in the Ilus system.

My bet is that Bobbie will be looking into that stuff, on the orders of Chrisjen & Fred. They'll probably also start foreshadowing the
SPOILER:
Free Navy and maybe even Laconia
stuff.

Book spoilers galore, do not look if you haven't read them.

Last edited by Shakester; 05-30-2019 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Detail
Old 05-30-2019, 10:46 AM

We probably should spin off a book thread...
Old 07-20-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
I haven't been able to find anything, but is there a firm launch date for season 4?

December 13th. (A Friday, FWIW.)
Old 07-22-2019, 05:05 PM

The scene of the Roci descending through the atmosphere and touching down looks fantastic.

And in his brief appearances, Burn Gorman as Murtry is more than sufficiently bad-ass. If he has a decent amount of screen time, I'm a little less worried about the Ilus story line being boring.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
The scene of the Roci descending through the atmosphere and touching down looks fantastic.

If you manage to not think about all the things that would be burned away or torn loose on a real craft that looks like that, maybe?
Old 07-22-2019, 06:12 PM

I manage it just fine. I like hard sci fi, but I'm always willing to sacrifice scientific realism for the sake of the story or a good visual.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:27 AM

Everything about this show is so well crafted, the characters are compelling, the dialog is witty and interesting, and the visuals are damn near orgasmic.

I haven't read the books so I would appreciate it if someone could answer a few questions:
- Does Bobbie Draper ever become a permanent part of the Rocci crew? At the end of last season she was strapping in next to Alex and she is such an awesome character I would love to see her get a lot more screen time.

- In the books, is Holden as wooden as Steven Strait portrays him on screen or is Steven just a bad actor?
Old 07-23-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
Everything about this show is so well crafted, the characters are compelling, the dialog is witty and interesting, and the visuals are damn near orgasmic.

I haven't read the books so I would appreciate it if someone could answer a few questions:
- Does Bobbie Draper ever become a permanent part of the Rocci crew? At the end of last season she was strapping in next to Alex and she is such an awesome character I would love to see her get a lot more screen time.
Sort of, IIRC. Not really "permanent" -- more like reoccuring, I'd say.

Quote:
- In the books, is Holden as wooden as Steven Strait portrays him on screen or is Steven just a bad actor?
I think Strait has improved, but book Holden is still kind of a do-gooder, which is a hard kind of character to make compelling, IMO. But Strait is still probably the weakest of the main actors.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
If you manage to not think about all the things that would be burned away or torn loose on a real craft that looks like that, maybe?
We don't know what materials they're made of, or how strongly they're bolted on.

Also, because it's a powered descent, it's moving much slower than, say, a Space Shuttle did when landing. Modern spacecraft hit the atmosphere at orbital speeds, which is why they come in so hot; the Roci probably decelerated to much slower than than before it reached the planet.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 AM

I also have to add that it's really weird seeing those characters outside, in daylight.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
We don't know what materials they're made of
Obviously handwavium.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:34 AM

You don't think we'll have stronger materials 300 years in the future? We have stronger materials now than we had 300 years in the past.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Also, because it's a powered descent, it's moving much slower than, say, a Space Shuttle did when landing. Modern spacecraft hit the atmosphere at orbital speeds, which is why they come in so hot; the Roci probably decelerated to much slower than than before it reached the planet.

Yeah, this is the main factor. Once you allow the Unobtanium Drive that is the "Epstein Drive" in the show, there's lots of things you can do that current spacecraft simply can't.

After all, the only reason current spacecraft have to move at "orbital speeds" is that this is the only way we currently have to avoid plummeting to the surface under the influence of gravity. But with drives that can routinely accelerate at 3-10 Gs for days, weeks, or even months at a time, even if they're rat-ass rock-hoppers, hovering over a planet at 1 G is easy. The only limit would be fuel, and the fuel limits are exactly what the Epstein Drive was supposed to overcome.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You don't think we'll have stronger materials 300 years in the future? We have stronger materials now than we had 300 years in the past.

I think (as with most of the great technological leaps that we have had in the past couple of centuries) we are much closer to the ending than to the beginning. And no, I do not think we will ever reach the stage where heat shielding and aerodynamics are no longer a factor in entry vehicle design.