Old 07-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauplius View Post
Breaking Bad - totally overrated
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I know, but we're alone in this, it seems.....
Can I join the club? I'll bring beer.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:27 PM

Jeff Beck. I play guitar, fingerstyle even. I like the other guitar gods from that era. Guitar players I respect revere him. I bought and listened to a bunch of his albums. I tried. His music just doesn’t do anything for me.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Related (or maybe the same thing): "insult comics."

Don Rickles was a jackass. So is anyone like him. There is nothing funny about this style of "comedy." If you have no talent for being funny, and insulting others is all you can come up with, then maybe you should consider a different career.
Maybe have someone explain the punchlines to you?
Old 07-19-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Fawlty Towers.

After all the original bits done in MPFC, to see Cleese do old school, unoriginal, predictable "humor"* was a major let down.

* And it was racist and sexist even by late 70s standards. (Which is when I watched it.)
Agree. And yet it has almost mythical status. I thought it was a funny 5-minute sketch idea dragged out over several hours.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:53 AM

I am a huge science fiction fan, read lots, watched lots, if something is scifi then I'm halfway to liking it already. But, I don't like Farscape. I hate the characters, the setting, all of it.

I also never cared for Firefly, but loved Serenity.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Can I join the club? I'll bring beer.
Every episode of Breaking Bad: the meek science teacher is actually good at being a criminal, who knew? Next week's episode: the meek science teacher is actually good at being a criminal, but now he wears a hat!
Old 07-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
Monty Python and Terry Pratchett; and I'm British, for heaven's sake.
I like Monty Python and am a fan of Douglas Adams and it feels like Pratchett should be right in my wheelhouse but... nope. Couldn't get into him at all.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Every episode of Breaking Bad: the meek science teacher is actually good at being a criminal, who knew? Next week's episode: the meek science teacher is actually good at being a criminal, but now he wears a hat!
He's not actually that good at being a criminal.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:14 AM

Big Bang Theory - Oh how I hate it.

Guacamole - Tool of the devil

Mayonnaise - Nasty vile shit

Guns n Roses -Probably not sacrilege?

Manga.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:28 AM

Some of this has been covered by others but here are mine:
  • Morrissey / The Smiths - It's like some requirement that people of my age have this deep love of Morrissey and The Smiths. I like alternative music of that era but this guy... just f-ck off you melodramatic whiney shit.
  • Seinfeld - Hated it when it originally aired, hate it anytime my wife pauses on it while flipping channels. Blood pressure through the roof hate it.
  • Tolkien (Lord of the Rings books) - I like the fantasy genre. Dragons and wizards and orcs-like creatures, OH MY! But reading Tolkien is just so damn painful and I just don't get the love. (The Hobbit excluded.) The movies were a fun spectacle tho'.
  • Mayonnaise - Jizz you spread on sandwiches. Nope.
  • Dr. Who - Who? Exactly.

MeanJoe
Old 07-19-2019, 10:31 AM

Hendrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Grey View Post
I recognize Jimi Hendrix's genius; I just don't like listening to him.
SAME HERE and this attitude really is sacrilege here in Seattle, where I work a few blocks from where he used to live (the house has since been moved, but I used to walk past it every day), and less than 1.5 miles from Jimi Hendrix park. I appreciate his talent and the barriers he helped to break through but ugh.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Billy Holiday
Isaac Asimov science fiction is dull and stilted. Except for "The Gods Themselves" which was pretty good.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:43 AM

Howard Stern.
And not because I found him crass or rude. I just thought he was dull.
The humor was never witty, just juvenile and obvious.
Hi Private Parts movie was probably one of the most boring movies I've ever seen.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
Isaac Asimov science fiction is dull and stilted. Except for "The Gods Themselves" which was pretty good.
I had heard about the Foundation Trilogy for years and then finally grabbed a copy and....hoo boy. Talk about dry. You could slip a wet smartphone into a Ziplock with Foundation and be able to boot it back up within a hour.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Parrish View Post
Agreed. It's like lubrication for your food. I do not need my food to be lubed up.
When I'm unfortunately stuck in a stall next to someone with an unusually loud and violent bowel movement I usually think it's because they ate too much mayonnaise.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_One View Post
Vertigo (1958)

This is a movie that is stuck in neutral and never goes anywhere for me.

I don't buy the plot about Madeleine and Judy and James Stewart and curing his vertigo and blah, blah everything else.

Of course, I'm wrong because it always is on the top 100 or 50 or whatever movies of all time and is one of "Hitchcock's greatest films!".

This ain't no Rear Window by a mile.
Same here. I do like the long-ish opening credit with the hypnotic music and 1950s spiro-graphics, and it the film is beautifully shot...it "looks" great. But that plot. I'm not visually challenged, but I did NOT at all recognize Kim Novak in the latter part of the film, remade as a working girl, and don't see how Jimmy Stewart would. It was just for plot expediency IMO.

Last edited by BrickBat; 07-19-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM

I couldn't - can't - get into 'Stargate SG-1' which was on for years and years and is being re-run even today every night on cable. I loved 'Stargate Universe' with Robert Carlyle, I could watch him scrape paint off a fence for an hour. (Loved the original movie, too)
Old 07-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Sriracha - nasty not vile stuff, probably good for soaking rust off a bumper. I don't get the raving about it or understand why it gets into snack foods and dip. But I love mayonnaise, Hellmans or Duke's only. I read where mayonnaise easily outsells ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce, and more in the U.S. I might make a mayonnaise and guacamole sandwich later, listening to Jimi Hendrix, and re-reading 'Lord of the Rings' for the billionth time.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Sriracha - nasty not vile stuff, probably good for soaking rust off a bumper. I don't get the raving about it or understand why it gets into snack foods and dip. But I love mayonnaise, Hellmans or Duke's only. I read where mayonnaise easily outsells ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce, and more in the U.S. I might make a mayonnaise and guacamole sandwich later, listening to Jimi Hendrix, and re-reading 'Lord of the Rings' for the billionth time.
*head explodes*

I do like to blend sriracha and bbq sauce together for chicken sandwiches.

(bolding mine)

Last edited by MeanJoe; 07-19-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yendis View Post
I am a huge science fiction fan, read lots, watched lots, if something is scifi then I'm halfway to liking it already. But, I don't like Farscape. I hate the characters, the setting, all of it.

I also never cared for Firefly, but loved Serenity.
I really wanted to like Farscape. I made it midway through the second season and couldn't take it anymore. I also agree about Firefly. I never watched Serenity.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Make sure you listen All Along The Watchtower. That way you get your Hendrix and Dylan fix in one shot.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:41 PM

The band Imagine Dragons. A number of chart topping songs and albums, but nothing will make me change a radio station faster.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And you know, his wife isnt going to be able to spend that money, the Feds will take it all.

And she has to live with the fact that her husband was a drug dealer and a killer.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I like Monty Python and am a fan of Douglas Adams and it feels like Pratchett should be right in my wheelhouse but... nope. Couldn't get into him at all.
Did you start with the first two books? Or read later on in the series? How about Good Omens?

Try The Wee Free men or the Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:03 PM

I don’t think it makes sense to get butt hurt when someone doesn’t like something you do in threads like this.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Parrish View Post
Guacamole - Tool of the devil

Only good if fresh made, and then best with really good chips.

I used to like it, now only on a BLT.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:11 PM

I don't like Mondays
Old 07-19-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
"Seinfeld" - not funny and the eponymous character whines too much.
True, Seinfeld is a whinny douche bag, but that's the point. No character on that show is admirable or even very likeable. Once you accept that fact, then you can enjoy their actions and reactions and general assholishness. Seinfeld is like the comic strips F Minus and Pardon My Planet.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
Same here. I do like the long-ish opening credit with the hypnotic music and 1950s spiro-graphics, and it the film is beautifully shot...it "looks" great. But that plot. I'm not visually challenged, but I did NOT at all recognize Kim Novak in the latter part of the film, remade as a working girl, and don't see how Jimmy Stewart would. It was just for plot expediency IMO.
Coupled with the absolutely creepy way he treats her....

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 07-19-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I don’t think it makes sense to get butt hurt when someone doesn’t like something you do in threads like this.
I could not agree with you more. A thread like this invites posts from folks who hate weekends, chocolate, sex, the color green, the smell of cotton candy, puppies, God, and children. Who can say they are wrong since it is all a matter of personal experience? Now, if they also call for the elimination of those things, that's another matter entirely.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:24 PM

I know it was directed by Stanley Kubrick...

...but 'Eye's Wide Shut' was about the worst movie I have ever seen.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Also don't get the appeal of Alyson Hannigan.
I'm not a huge fan of hers either, but I think I can explain the appeal. She's quirky and fun, and while attractive, she's still attainable/real. This is opposed to most TV/movie stars who are an entire echelon up from the attractiveness of most people and seem kind of fantastic/unreal as a result.

As for my list of stuff that it's sacrilegious not to like:
  • Breaking Bad. It's just grim. I've watched up through the episode with the neglected kid, and just had to stop.
  • Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm/Arrested Development type humor. Too cringey and full of assholes.
  • NFL football. It's just... too homogenous, too commercial, and the way they handled the whole player CTE suit turned me right off.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I don't like Mondays
Tell Me Why...?
Old 07-19-2019, 04:32 PM

Speaking of Good Omens ...

It's crap. I've read it twice.

One thing I noticed that for the first half of the book the chapters alternated in quality. There were somewhat different characters/story arcs in the odd/even chapters so I figured one wrote the bad chapters and the other wrote the really bad chapters. Then after a while it switched parity. It seems Wikipedia confirms the authors switched up a bit on who was doing what story arc.

And then we get to Gaiman. Really bad author. Uses very predictable plot elements and basic characterizations. It's like reading an 18th century teenagers idea of a fantasy novel.

(As to Pratchett: some really good stuff, some "meh" stuff, and a lot of crappy witches/wizards stuff. I don't count the Librarian as a wizard for obvious reasons.)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Am I the only Doper who can't stand Pink Floyd?
Old 07-19-2019, 04:54 PM

Beer.

Coffee.

Jazz.

Can’t stand any of ‘em.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:01 PM

I have always considered myself a music fan and I try to open my mind to all genres but I have to cast another vote for jazz. I have honestly tried to develop a taste for it but to no avail. There are some jazz-_____ hybrids that I can get into at times. It's always a matter of the closer it is to _____ and the farther from jazz, the better I like it. There's a local show that plays on Sunday nights on the public radio station that is pretty heavy on jazz "fusion" of the 70s and 80s and sometimes I can get into it. Jazz/rock, jazz/funk, jazz/blues, etc.
When they get closer to trad jazz or really out there "jazz theory" stuff it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
No. But my list also includes Hendrix, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Zepplin, Moody Blues, and just about any other late 60s-early 70s "classic rock." It's boring and unimaginative.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:29 AM

Here's a bit of sacrilege that's of a positive nature.

I like Mostly Harmless. It's not the dreck that most Douglas Adams fans make it out to be.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:34 AM

The Dave Matthews Band. (I concur with the person who mentioned this back on page 1.) He is insanely popular, approaching cult status, among many people for many years now (including a niece who's traveled far and wide to see him at least a half-dozen times), but his music does nothing for me. I liked one of his songs, "Where Are You Going," and I bought the CD. The rest of it was boring and uninspired.

I also don't like the current crop of action/adventure movies (Avengers, et cetera). My tastes in movies are eclectic and I enjoy a good mindless action flick, but these films sacrifice character and plot development for long, dull CGI action sequences. And I don't like the fact that you had to have seen 20 other movies to comprehend whatever "plot" exists.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:42 PM

Led Zeppelin (I like a few of their songs, but not Stairway so much), Neil Young,

Non-music: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (fell asleep twice before I finally made it to the end on the third try), and pretty much all of the MPFC skits. I do really like Life Of Brian, though.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Espaces Du Sommeil View Post
Dylan is really the worst offender in my view : awful voice, shitty, pseudo-deep but actually pathetically mundane lyrics, contrived rhymes, compteletly nondescript songswriting. I just don't understand the veneration he gets and must admit I find it embarassing. Is there a word for "overrated to the absurd" ?
I'm heartened by the Dylan disdain in this thread. I thought I was the only one. A few years ago I expressed dislike of Dylan on the SDMB, and was surprised at the depth of hostility in response. You've perfectly captured how he sounds to me.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:11 PM

The radio show “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me“. The sound of Peter Sagal's smarmy, unctuous, look-at-me voice, and his punchline pauses, and his predictable humor, would make me rip that radio out of the dashboard and throw it out the window. Fortunately, I can just turn it off. Thank god.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
'Friends'. There are whole cable stations devoted to non-stop reruns of 'Friends'. Jennifer Anniston is regarded as a goddess, Courtney Cox is (was) regarded as one of the world's greatest beauties. I hate 'Friends'. I loathe the show. I hate each and every one of them. And I tried to watch - I TRIED.
This is one I don't get. I am 40. I was there for the original run of the show. I remember kids and teachers obsessed with it when I was in high school. I mostly ended up watching the last few seasons because a GF at the time was really into it. IMHO (and there is a lot of similar opinion on blogs and other places out there, especially concerning the humor and relationships), even the good things about it did not age well. Yeah, I liked Anniston when I was 16 and she always looked liked they iced down her nipples. I liked Kudrow. Cox was always too bony for me. Anyway, teenage boy opinions from 20-25 years ago.

What I don't get is all the 20-25 year-old acquaintances I have who can quote every line of this show. Sure, I watched plenty of shows that were around when I was a baby (Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, Laverne and Shirley, The Jeffersons, etc) but I never got obsessed with any.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I loved Old school rap, Sugarhill gang, Frankie Smith, and yes, Will Smith. Modern stuff? Too much violence, misogyny, and drugs.
OK, so Sugar Hill Gang's best known work is pretty much a whole song of boasting of sexual prowess, about going to the motel/hotel with a chick, "if your girl starts acting up, then you take her friend," etc.

Other early stuff like The Furious Five had a lot of drug, violence, sex (It wasn't exactly glorifying it but NEITHER is most modern material), and plenty of lines that would be considered homophobic and sexist in modern context.

There is NOTHING "modern" about violence, misogyny, and drugs in rap music. Always there AND there has ALWAYS (including in 2019, of course) been rap music without it and focuses on other topics. I would argue (and I am correct) that in modern times, with the type of access we have to music in the digital age, there is much MORE rap music now that covers a variety of topics and it is all highly accessible. There are multiple "alternative rap" and/or indy rap genres and sub-genres that have been prominent for 20-25 years. Commercial rap goes through cycles. Any argument that "modern rap music" is more violent or sexist is completely disingenuous and is a tired "argument" that has been around at least 25 years. Just as people have been saying rap is a "fad" for 40 years.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
For those of you who dont like the Dead- did you ever attend a Dead Concert? It's all the difference in the world. Now, i am not a super fan, not a Deadhead, I have like two CDs and a tie that Jerry supposedly sent me (more likely his manager), but in concert they were something else.
I'm indifferent personally, but for a lot of people this would NOT help. As an example, my ex-GF loved Dave Matthews Band radio songs and CDs. They were her favorite, had favorite songs, songs that were about me, etc. We just had to go see them in concert at a stadium. She hated it and made my life unbearable for 3 hours. She didn't know why they jammed and played instruments and did extended solos, instead of just playing her favorite songs about having sex. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like (or hate) some Dead songs but would not be impressed by their musicianship on display in some hours long jam session.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
OK, so Sugar Hill Gang's best known work is pretty much a whole song of boasting of sexual prowess, about going to the motel/hotel with a chick, "if your girl starts acting up, then you take her friend," etc.
Yeah, there's a little here:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=T7o...67.KTva0C24A-4

But then you get funny shit like :
Have you ever went over a friends house to eat
And the food just ain't no good?
I mean the macaroni's soggy, the peas are mushed
And the chicken tastes like wood
So you try to play it off like you think you can
By saying that you're full
And then your friend says, "mama, he's just being polite
He ain't finished, uh-uh, that's bull!"

So, maybe 5% sex boasting, but in a humorous manner. I mean Lois lane?

No hatred of women, no slapping them around, no calling them bitches or ho's. No violence, no serious profanity ("damn") , etc.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:12 PM

Disneyland/World. Happiest place on earth my A S S

Last edited by DummyGladHands; 07-20-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 PM

I hated zelda and mario and pretty much nintendo its self in the 80s and 90s

in fact I sold my nes and bought a sega master system then a sega genesis Only reason I owned a snes was for sim city and the rpgs on it
Old 07-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
I'm sure there are a lot. I only knew a small handful of Floyd fans growing up; most people I know don't really dig them. I have a respect for them, but I can't quite ever get in the mood for their moody brand of music. I used to just plain hate them, but then I heard a Sound Opinions episode about 20 years back that went over their music and history, and I came out of it understanding their music a bit more and having respect for it, even though it leaves me kinda cold.