Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester View Post
Why do you say that? I thought that sailing a prize home was regarded as a plum job.
Because they're just taking a prize back to a port and the captain would want to keep the fighters among his crew as he continues looking for enemy ships and/or more prizes.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester
Why do you say that? I thought that sailing a prize home was regarded as a plum job.
Only by the provisional captain, who might be able to work that into a promotion and perhaps even get the ship itself, assuming it's bought into service. It would suck for the crew in most regards, since they still probably wouldn't get shore leave, and would probably be put on another ship...and while sailing it home would be unlikely to get new prizes.

Of course, staying on the warship would suck as well, since life in the RN as a regular seaman pretty much blew chunks, from what I've read anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker
My sister prefers Hornblower, I prefer Jack Aubrey. Hornblower is too angsty for my taste.
My preference was the Hornblower books as well. Don't get me wrong, I loved the adventures of Jack and the Doc, but Horatio was the man, and for me the stories were more 'real'...and and also more emotionally engaging. 'Beat to quarters, Mr. Bush!'...gods, I remember shouting that out and having folks give me extremely funny looks. I'm such a geek....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant
Yeah, Horatio would take on the French fleet with a rowboat, seaman Brown and a sharp stick. Aubrey would run like hell. Guess who I want driving my boat?
Yeah, but Hornblower would win. Besides, I can remember Aubrey doing some fairly crazy and going up against seemingly impossible odds a time or two. And I remember Aubrey doing some really silly and stupid things as well, though they ended up working out in the end. Aubrey always struck me as really mercenary, which probably WAS more 'real', as RN captains of the time went, but Hornblower was just...well, heroic.

Of course, it's been years since I read either series. I see that Audible.com has what looks to be the entire Aubrey series (sadly, they don't seem to have any of the Forrester books ), so, maybe I'll have to start downloading them, since this old thread has rekindled my interest (and I just finished the Sharpe's Rifles series lately, so some good old fashioned Napoleonic War stuff would go down well atm).

-XT
Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM

IIRC, Russell Crowe first showed up on the set having putting on a fairly good bit of weight. Peter Weir was impressed, but wasn't willing to take his obsession with authenticity to the point of having an overweight Jack or a physically unattractive Stephen.

Some bits of casting were noticeably off. Barrett Bonden ought to have been a large, muscular guy rather than a hobbit. Nagel was a middle-aged man rather than a lad in his late teens/early 20s. On the other hand, I can't possibly imagine a better Killick, Joe Plaice, Padeen, or Awkward Davies.

As far as the ending goes, it's pretty much in sync with the style of the novels. O'Brien sometimes finishes a volume at a clean, satisfying conclusion resolution, sometimes at a cliffhanger, and sometimes at a moment that seems almost random. And in some of these cases, the next story picks up months or years later.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 PM
SDSAB

Bumped.

Just came across this interesting 2003 appraisal of the film by historians of the period: https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=10557
Old 07-16-2019, 12:11 AM

I thought this was an interesting bit:

Quote:
Watching a scene where Aubrey trains his men to fire the canons more quickly, Brodine pointed out that, "in far distant seas, away from sure sources of supply, this would have been a needless expenditure of a very precious commodity--powder and shot."
Seeing as, from what I recall of the books, the tiny amount of powder and shot officially allowed for practise purposes, compared to what Jack (and some other captains) think should be allowed, and their subsequent need to pay for supplies out of their own pockets, is a point of conflict right through all the books.

It seems the experts generally liked the film though
Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 AM

I take issue with these 2 statements:

Quote:
Hughes felt, "that Aubrey (Crowe's character) took more risks than was realistic for someone with an inferior vessel. Attempting a battle during a raging storm is a case in point."
The books constantly repeat that the RN, and Jack in particular, are much more pugilistic and aggressive than their counterparts in other navies. British ships would routinely attack vessels somewhat superior to them in size & armament, because they were convinced their advantage in bravery & tactics would overcome that. And Jack's orders were to take, burn, sink or destroy the Acheron. He would do anything to fulfill those orders.

Quote:
Though everyone enjoyed the battle scenes, "there would have been much more screaming and moaning by wounded men during battle," said Crawford.
I thought they did this quite well at the beginning of the movie - when the Acheron first hit the Surprise with a surprise broadside. Tons of blood, screaming sailors, Blakeney staring in disbelief at his shattered arm. They didn't dwell on it in later battles, because the point had already been made at the beginning of the movie.