Old 04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Sith Mod

I always pictured Frank Black as being heroin-thin.

Turns out, he looks a lot more like the gay guy who used to do movie reviews on The Daily Show.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
What did you expect? He's very good-looking. Did you expect an ugly man? A black man? A younger man? I'm not being sarcastic; I really want to know, because I like him and have several of his CDs.
Black, youngish and ultra-hip but not handsome. I was listening to him do the station promos for a defunct standards station in LA for years without seeing a photo of him. It just came as a surprise.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:08 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I always pictured Frank Black as being heroin-thin.

Turns out, he looks a lot more like the gay guy who used to do movie reviews on The Daily Show.
Frank DeCaro. And yes, Frank Black looks a bit crazy, but not as crazy as you might expect him to from his music.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers01 View Post
Anyone who listens to old time radio shows will have a lot of these. I was probably most surprised by Dennis Day, who didn't look much like the naive adolescent he played on radio. See also Ezra Stone as Henry Aldrich.
Yeah, it's weird to see Dennis Day on Jack Benny's TV show, when he's playing the same character as on radio, except you can't hide that by this time, he was a middle aged man. He really was in his early 20s when he first appeared in 1939, and they just stuck with it because he was so good in the role.

An addition to radio actors who's looks don't match their voice- Walter Tetley, the actor who played Sherman in the Mister Peabody segments, Leroy on the Great Gildersleeve, and Julius on Phil Harris-Alice Faye was an adult man. How he wound up with that voice is rather disturbing.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:09 AM

When I heard that song from Batman I pictured Seal as more of a Nat King Cole type, not someone who looks like he went face-first through a windshield in an auto accident and got patched up by a really drunken doctor using old inner tubes to replace his skin.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:19 AM

Interviewer Terry Gross.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 AM

The first time I heard Robert Randolph and the Family Band, I was taken by the voice of an old bluesman who'd been kicking it around for decades. I thought, why haven't I been listening to this guy all of my life? Turns out he about 25 years old.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
When the theme song from Neverending Story was getting a lot of airplay, I thought it was sung by a woman. And I was picturing a hot babe to go with that sensuous, sultry voice.

One day, I walked into a record store, and saw a poster, with the words "Limahl", "Neverending Story", and a picture of the ugliest chick I have ever seen in my life. A chick with an Adam's apple, and a five o'clock shadow.

It was not as bad as The Crying Game, but that is not a nice thing to do to a heterosexual.
Dude. You just raped my childhood.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 AM

I remember, as a teen, calling my older sister into the living room the first time I saw an Eminem video. Neither of us could believe he was white.

A part of me is still convinced that "Laughter in the Rain" is a lesbian love song.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
From the 70's: I am still convinced that Nick Gilder is a girl - Hot Child in the City.
Wow... for 34 years, I've thought that song was sung by a woman, and now I see it's a ugly, skinny Canadian.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:53 AM

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Charlie Pride or Michael McDonald.

I have a theory that these two (at a ripe old age, one hopes) must pass from this earth at the very same moment, lest some kind of dangerous mass-energy singularity rend the fabric of the universe.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Charter Jays Fan

You have to admit, Rick Astley doesn't look like Rick Astley.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Interviewer Terry Gross.
You've got one of the recent people for me. Those others were from childhood and before we even had TV. But if there's a way to be more opposite than Ms. Gross, I don't know what it would be.

Another category that's better than 50% surprising is when we finally get to see the offscreen announcer for game shows, like Johnny Gilbert on Jeopardy!.

My first image of The Lone Ranger was made before I ever saw the TV and movie versions, but I was not impressed when I eventually saw a picture of Brace Beemer years later. Nowhere close to how I thought Lone would look.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Interviewer Terry Gross.
Huh. Older Ellen Degeneres is about how I always pictured Terry Gross.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 PM

KISS was way uglier than I expected when they first removed the makeup in 1983. Holy shit!

Last edited by Harvey The Heavy; 04-21-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Montgomery Burns View Post
An addition to radio actors who's looks don't match their voice- Walter Tetley, the actor who played Sherman in the Mister Peabody segments, Leroy on the Great Gildersleeve, and Julius on Phil Harris-Alice Faye was an adult man. How he wound up with that voice is rather disturbing.
Holy cow, you ain't kidding!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 AM

Fujiya & Miyagi come to mind.

I never would've guessed that Stevie Ray Vaughan and The Ramones were as ugly as they were.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Montgomery Burns View Post
Yeah, it's weird to see Dennis Day on Jack Benny's TV show, when he's playing the same character as on radio, except you can't hide that by this time, he was a middle aged man. He really was in his early 20s when he first appeared in 1939, and they just stuck with it because he was so good in the role.

Also speaking of old time radio, I think just about everyone knew that Amos and Andy were played by two white guys. They might have been surprised, though, to learn that Amos' daughter was played by a Chinese-American!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Israel Kamakawiwoʻole is my pick for looking the least like his honeyed voice sounds.
I pictured some mixed race guy of undetermined pedigree, with a slight frame befitting the tender vocals.

I prefer the real guy far more than the Israel I had imagined.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 AM

I was surprised by James Dobson. When I was going to school, my parents always listened to the radio to get the weather and stuff like that, and just left it on until we left. Dobson's Focus on the Family would have this brief interlude around the hour. For some reason, I expected him to look like Pat Robertson.

I also learned that Lum N Abner reruns would play at 6:45 AM, I wasn't surprised at all by what they looked like--until I saw them without the facial hair!

BTW, there's new Lum N Abner content now!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 PM

Steve Miller, Muddy Waters, Patsy Cline were all a little stouter than I thought they'd be. Most of the musicians (that I've noticed) tend to have an ectomorphic body type.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take the cannoli View Post
Steve Miller, Muddy Waters, Patsy Cline were all a little stouter than I thought they'd be. Most of the musicians (that I've noticed) tend to have an ectomorphic body type.
Once upon a time, having a nice large ribcage for loud, resonant tones was a plus in music.

Now they just use skinny things, body mics and Autotune.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers01 View Post
Also speaking of old time radio, I think just about everyone knew that Amos and Andy were played by two white guys. They might have been surprised, though, to learn that Amos' daughter was played by a Chinese-American!
The mention of Amos and Andy reminds me of another one. Fibber McGee & Molly introduced the character of Beulah, the maid. Beulah was later spun off into her own show, and then made into a TV show, the later incarnations featured the character being played by a heavyset black woman- how most listeners probably viewed that character in their minds. But originally, Beulah was played by a young, thin white man named Marlin Hurt! Live audiences of the Fibber McGee & Molly didn't know this. You can hear the audience howling and screaming with laughter during the routines they did with Beulah!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Interviewer Terry Gross.
Heh, really? I remember being amused by how much Gross looked like my mental image of her when I finally saw a picture.

But on a similar note, I'll add Garrison Keillor. I grew up listening to him with all the folksyness and slow speech patterns I always pictured a grandfatherly looking guy. Instead, he looks like some weird troll-monster. He's definately in the right profession.

Last edited by Simplicio; 04-22-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Interviewer Terry Gross.
Really? I've always thought Terry Gross looks a lot like she sounds. Brooke Gladstone from "On the Media" was the one I was surprised to see on television. I don't know what I was expecting, only that she's much prettier than I'd thought she be.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiko View Post
Really? I've always thought Terry Gross looks a lot like she sounds. Brooke Gladstone from "On the Media" was the one I was surprised to see on television. I don't know what I was expecting, only that she's much prettier than I'd thought she be.
Before seeing her picture I envisoned Gross as similar to a younger Leslie Stahl.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM

Billy Idol came to mind immediately.

I tried to find a video for the SNL skit with the song "Wrong Voice for This Face," but couldn't. Anyone have a link?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarkChild View Post
I thought the lead singer of Rush was female until I looked them up on YouTube.
Geddy Lee IS female. He is just an UGLY female.
Just kidding Rush fans! Really! <ducks a thrown 2112 LP>
Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM

I remember being a big Al Stewart fan in the 70s, before the Year of the Cat mania occurred. I had never seen a picture, but was surprised at how skinny of a waif he was. He could have used a couple of cheeseburgers, if you know what I mean.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
I remember being a big Al Stewart fan in the 70s, before the Year of the Cat mania occurred. I had never seen a picture, but was surprised at how skinny of a waif he was. He could have used a couple of cheeseburgers, if you know what I mean.
I was surprised that he was as masculine as he was. A slim cigarette holder and capezios wouldn't have surprised me.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Hen View Post
A part of me is still convinced that "Laughter in the Rain" is a lesbian love song.
Yup, me too! I didn't believe my mom for years when she told me Neil Sedaka was a guy. Still not entirely convinced...
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 PM

The first time I heard Simply Red's "Holding Back the Years" I didn't expect the lead singer to be/look like Mick Hucknall. I was 14 and loved that song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Hucknall

LH
Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 PM

Former Morning Edition host Bob Edwards.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM

Robert Lee, the narrator of Mythbusters doesn't look at all like I expected. http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/94253.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM
BANNED

Leslie West, of Mountain. Somebody told me he weighed about 300 lbs,and I had, for some unfathomable reason, a picture of Hulk Hogan in mind. Not even close.
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/im...SBj868U6EpE-VG
Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Madeleine Peyroux does not sound like a cute white chick.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Charlie Patton.
How could that face, on that body, with that guitar, make those sounds?
That's how it worked for me, too. I got an LP of his from the library with his picture on it, and when I first listened to it, I wondered if the record and the cover sleeve had got mixed up. Now he's probably my favourite of the old blues hounds.

I pictured Bela Fleck, with his name and unique mix of genres (a cross between bluegrass and jazz), to be an older, seasoned musician, maybe black or European, or both, but definitely a distinct looking character. I wasn't sure what instrument he played, and when I first saw a video of his band performing, I wondered who the average white guy who could pass as an insurance salesman was on banjo.

Last edited by Esox Lucius; 04-26-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomeharry View Post
Leslie West, of Mountain. Somebody told me he weighed about 300 lbs,and I had, for some unfathomable reason, a picture of Hulk Hogan in mind. Not even close.
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/im...SBj868U6EpE-VG
He's a lot thinner now.

Lighter too, in part due to losing a leg to diabetes.

Still rockin', though.

Last edited by River Hippie; 04-26-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
When the theme song from Neverending Story was getting a lot of airplay, I thought it was sung by a woman. And I was picturing a hot babe to go with that sensuous, sultry voice.

One day, I walked into a record store, and saw a poster, with the words "Limahl", "Neverending Story", and a picture of the ugliest chick I have ever seen in my life. A chick with an Adam's apple, and a five o'clock shadow.

It was not as bad as The Crying Game, but that is not a nice thing to do to a heterosexual.
Damn he's hot. I don't know how I missed that all these years.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Who I imagined was singing the first time I heard her wouldn't rule out cute or white but I really expected someone larger, less angular, and quite a bit older.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
If a radio DJ counts, then "Cousin Brucie" Morrow, who has appeared in a few films such as "Dirty dancing". I had pictured him as a short, dark haired chubby guy, probably because a classmate named Bruce was such a body type. Morrow looks to be tall, lean, brown hair type.
Bad toupe type.

Roy Orbison was quite a mismatch.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendHasit View Post
The first time I heard Simply Red's "Holding Back the Years" I didn't expect the lead singer to be/look like Mick Hucknall. I was 14 and loved that song.

LH
Holy crap, he looks horrible in that Wikipedia picture. He was a pretty okay looking fellow back in the 1980s, if a bit pasty white.

A couple more radio voices that surprised me when I saw their pictures:

BBC's Neil Nunes. He sounds like a guy I know, with an British accent that has an unusual twinge, so I always pictured him as a tall, rotund, bald white guy with a big moustache... with a monocle to reflect his vague Britishness. Dude's a nice-looking young-ish Jamaican chap. Looking online, I see bitching about his Jamaican accent (via this article on annoying radio voices), but I definitely don't hear it, and I also like his voice and overpronunciation. (I do like a quote from that linked article: “His voice sounds like it is coming out of the funnel of a container ship.”)

NPR's Diane Rehm. I figured she was old, but her spasmodic dysphonia made me think she was doddering, frail, and covered with cobwebs. She's older, yes, but is the very representative of a "handsome woman."

And one voice that I *knew* but still shocked me... Meshell Ndegeocello. I knew who she was, liked her singing and deep voice, but for ages I thought the main vocals in Basement Jaxx's Right Here's the Spot was some male pop singer. Then I bothered looking at the liner notes and was all . In my defense, everyone I've played the song for has thought it was a guy (usually Justin Timberlake).
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendHasit View Post

LH
Wow! I had something much closer to Tracy Chapman pictured.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Huh? Except for sounding almost as much like Billie Holiday as David Sedaris she sounds exactly like a SEXY, cute white chick.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
If her name was any whiter it would be translucent.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Huh? Except for sounding almost as much like Billie Holiday as David Sedaris she sounds exactly like a SEXY, cute white chick.
The first time I heard her, I thought it was Ella. I think the song was Leonard Cohen's Dance Me To The End Of Love...

Madeleine

On listening more I have to agree with your Billie Holiday call but not your white chick :-)

Last edited by MacCat; 04-28-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:59 PM

Jay Kay of Jamiroquai did not look like I imagined
Dobie Gray(RIP) was a black guy but I used to imagine an older, white Willie Nelson type guy.
Sophie B.Hawkins, with her song "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover", I thought she would be a hottie but she was pretty average.
However as a kid if I imagined a singer was an attractive woman, chances were most likely they were. Examples include Lady Miss Kier of Deee-lite, Merril Bainbridge(had a hit called "Mouth"), and Amy Grant.
But number one of all time has to be for me Ali Campbell of UB40.

The lead singer of Romeo Void ("Never Say Never") also shocked me.

On the flip side the singer of Midnight Oil turned out to be the way I expected him to look, which is the only time that has happened.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:46 PM
BANNED

Madonna. First time I saw her I found her disappointingly plain, especially during the "Material Girl" MV where she was copying Marilyn. But she grew on me.

Patti Smyth. She could have been younger and more hyper.

Lady Gaga - I still don't know how she really looks.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:00 AM

Rick Astley! I was shocked when the first time I saw what I thought was a humungous black dude was actually a kind of skinny Irish-looking nebbish.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:53 AM

No offense intended, since I like his music, but I once found myself standing next to Jose Feliciano at JFK as he was making calls on his mobile. Trust me when I say he's nowhere near as impressive when he's not wearing his dark glasses.