Old 11-12-2015, 07:30 AM

George Ezra is the most recent one who comes to mind for me. I love the reactions from people when they first see him.

I was channel surfing the other day and stopped on a tune that caught my ear. I kind of liked it and the voice made me feel all sexy. I expected the singer to be oh so handsome and just my type.

I don't know if I was more horrified or more amused to learn the singer was James Otto.

And for the record, not handsome. He should be, he has all the right elements, but no. Just no.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:50 AM

God bless you always!!!
Old 11-12-2015, 08:18 AM

Exactly!
Old 11-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I haven't read back through the entire zombie thread to see if he's already been mentioned, but I recently thought about opening a similar thread after seeing a video of William Elliot Whitmore. Not nearly as old or black as I expected.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
George Ezra is the most recent one who comes to mind for me. I love the reactions from people when they first see him.
I first heard him on the radio singing Budapest, and I was sure he was a middle-aged black singer from Jamaica.

I expected Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull to be a dark-haired sedate flute player until I saw them in concert.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrigidLizard View Post
I have no idea why, but when I first heard "Get This Party Started" I pictured Pink as a young light-skinned black woman. The first time I saw a poster of her (shot in blue light with heavy shadows), I thought, "Man, that lighting effect makes her look really white. I wonder if it was deliberate."
When I first started hearing that song, I thought it was Justin Beiber, or some other wanna-be boy singer.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Ah, as long as we've revived this thread:

Brett Dennen: Singer/Songwriter who, based solely on the voice is at least somewhat androgynous and, would, if he were female, be rather sexy (from my personal point of view). So, finding out he was actually male was a bit disappointing and somewhat unsettling :-)

Van Morrison: Honestly, didn't really have a clearly defined mental picture of him, but whatever it was, it wasn't this.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I just found out that 'All About the Bass' was sun by a solitary White chick--not an all-Black girl group.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
. . . I remember being amused by how much Gross looked like my mental image of her when I finally saw a picture. . . .
Yup. Pretty much exactly as I had imagined her.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:14 PM

Nick Gilder's been mentioned, so I'll have to go with Terry Kath of Chicago, who I always thought was a tall skinny black guy. (At least I got the male part right!)

On the other hand, Supertramp's Roger Hodgson looks almost exactly as I pictured him.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:48 PM

I was surprised to find out Iggy Azalea was not a black woman.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
Van Morrison: Honestly, didn't really have a clearly defined mental picture of him, but whatever it was, it wasn't this.
To be fair, Van Morrison didn't always look like that.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Christopher Cross. He looks more like a country music good-ol'-boy than a smooth yacht rocker.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 PM
BANNED

This one's not a singer. Back in the 80's people about to meet Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger would expect someone 6'7" and weighing 275 pounds to come though the door. But women say he's kinda short.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
If it's any consolation, so is she.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 PM

Maybe already mentioned, but for me it has to be Sam Smith. I'm not much of a fan of his music, but when I heard "Stay with Me," I assumed he was a 20-something black R&B singer.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:53 PM

Dicky Barett from the Bostones. Expected him to be a big guy. First time I saw him I was shocked that that voice came from that body.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:06 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

As far as bands, the animals..

Based on their song house of the rising sun I thought they were a black jazz style band from the inner city.

Garrison Keillor looks nothing like I would've thought either.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

For a single record, one of the greatest mismatches is Bottle of Wine by The Fireballs. They didn't sound like that all the time - they had another hit record with Sugar Shack where their sound more closely matched their appearance.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:13 PM

I wasn't surprised by any of these peoples looks.

How could you not know what these people look like?

Van Morrison, Eric Burdon? They are hermits? Ever read magazines? See "Television" or "TV" as it's called sometimes?

The radio and voice artists I can dig.

I saw Billy West open for Jonathan Richman one time. It was a falsetto rock duo, both with guitars.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor
If it's any consolation, so is she.
:golf clap:

Regards,
Shodan
Old 11-13-2015, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Back in the 60s, I was stunned to learn that Chris Montez was a guy, and so were many DJs, apparently (scroll down to '1966 Comeback'.

Last edited by Chefguy; 11-13-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I wasn't surprised by any of these peoples looks.

How could you not know what these people look like?

Van Morrison, Eric Burdon? They are hermits? Ever read magazines? See "Television" or "TV" as it's called sometimes?
Classy. You've never heard songs on the radio but not come across a picture of that person until later?

For my example from pre-zombie days in this thread, I heard "Hot Child in the City" all the freakin' time when I was a kid in the '70's - it was a big hit for a period. But I had no clue who Nick Gilder was until decades later when someone made a reference to a band he had been in prior to going solo, Sweeney Todd. On this board.

If you didn't grow up in the 60's and 70's I can totally imagine hearing, I dunno, Moondance and House of the Rising Sun a bunch of times in your life but never connecting either to a picture.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:28 AM

I haven't seen Leo Sayer mentioned yet. Anybody else growing up in the '70s and listening to "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" or "When I Need Love" think that the singer was a black woman and not a skinny kind of Richard-Simmonsy white guy?
Old 11-13-2015, 05:37 PM

Joss Stone. I had heard her music on the radio and did not envision a skinny, blonde, 15 year old Brit girl.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
I was a little surprised to find that Johnny Nash of "I Can See Clearly Now the Rain is Gone" was African American. Is there a non-racist term/phrase for the opposite of "blue-eyed soul"?
I didn't know until this very moment, and I remember when the song came out. Guess I never saw his album cover or anything else with his photo.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I didn't know until this very moment, and I remember when the song came out. Guess I never saw his album cover or anything else with his photo.
I'm surprised. Did you hang out in record stores and look at the LPs ? He didn't sound white to me at all.

Actually I was surprised at the time that he was a black American and not a Jamaican. The follow up record was Stir it up written by Bob Marley, and he was known for being this "reggae" artist.

The weirdest thing is that Johnny Nash was the guy who sang the Hercules theme song on TV like years before that. That sounded racially undifferentiated.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:53 PM

When I was a kid Dr. John had a big hit with "Right Place Wrong Time." Didn't know what he looked like at the time but the voice and music led me to imagine something other than the melanin-challenged dude he turned out to be.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I'm surprised. Did you hang out in record stores and look at the LPs ? He didn't sound white to me at all.
No. By 1972 I'd been in the military for five years, and my record shop hanging out days were long behind me. I heard the catchy song on the radio and thought "nice tune". He sounded like a guy with a decent tenor voice, neither black nor white. Sort of like Johnny Mathis.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_diego View Post
This one's not a singer. Back in the 80's people about to meet Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger would expect someone 6'7" and weighing 275 pounds to come though the door. But women say he's kinda short.
He's about 6' tall... that's not short.

Ohhh wait.. heh.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:45 PM

Maybe too soon, but when I first heard Carpenters songs, I pictured Karen as a beautiful blonde.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Back in the 60s, I was stunned to learn that Chris Montez was a guy, and so were many DJs, apparently (scroll down to '1966 Comeback'.
Heh. Those of a certain age will remember a recurring bit on SNL, where people tried to figure out the gender of a character named Pat.

Those of a less certain age might remember a pretty good song from 1969 called "More Today Than Yesterday," by the Spiral Starecase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLRZUgFTy8

Click on the link, listen to the song, read the lyrics (shown in the video). Without googling it, I defy you to tell me whether the lead singer is male or female. I'll give you a hint: the singer's name is Pat Upton.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post

Click on the link, listen to the song, read the lyrics (shown in the video). Without googling it, I defy you to tell me whether the lead singer is male or female. I'll give you a hint: the singer's name is Pat Upton.

Huh. I guess I'll guess a guy since I always thought that was a Stevie Wonder song.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing a guy.

(I looked it up before the edit window)

but I never would have guessed he was white

Last edited by drad dog; 11-14-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:34 AM

I'm glad this resurrected, because when I started listening to the Thrilling Adventure Hour, my mental image of Sparks Nevada Marshall on Mars looked nothing at all like actual Marc Evan Jackson.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

When I was a kid, I never expected either Black Flag or the Dead Kennedys to look like a bunch of average guys. It was heartening when I found out they did.

And not a musician, but H. Jon Benjamin's voice does not make me picture that man. But, that's probably the best measure of a good voice actor.

Last edited by scabpicker; 11-14-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:19 AM

When Mariah Carey had her first hit I was shocked when I saw her. I was expecting someone built more like Aretha Franklin than the 20 (21?) year old slender beauty I soon saw. Holy shit was that not my mental image of her. I think this was her first video: Vision Of Love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tov22NtCMC4
Old 11-14-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
I've heard Budapest on the radio a thousand times already but never knew what George Ezra looked like until I saw this post and googled him. Holy smokes, not what I expected at all!

And on edit, yes, I realized what I did there...

Last edited by Dr. Girlfriend; 11-14-2015 at 12:04 PM. Reason: screwed up the quote tag
Old 11-15-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Heh. Those of a certain age will remember a recurring bit on SNL, where people tried to figure out the gender of a character named Pat.

Those of a less certain age might remember a pretty good song from 1969 called "More Today Than Yesterday," by the Spiral Starecase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLRZUgFTy8

Speaking of 1969 songs I was shocked that these gentlemen were NOT black!! It could vaguely pass as a Stevie Wonder song.

Steam's #1 song "Na Nay Hey Hey Kiss Him Good Bye"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE
Old 11-16-2015, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
And not a musician, but H. Jon Benjamin's voice does not make me picture that man. But, that's probably the best measure of a good voice actor.
This one, right here.

Just finished watching Master of None on Netflix, and he could be just anybody's middle-aged uncle. It's weird, hearing that terrific voice coming out of such an ordinary-looking guy.

Patrick Warburton is another actor whose voice I wish I had (admittedly, he looks more like Sterling Archer).
Old 11-16-2015, 12:52 AM

When I first heard Sleeping Satellite by Tasmin Archer I was picturing a kind of Kim Wilde type of young pasty white girl. Was not expecting Tasmin Archer. Now I see that Kim Wilde has actually done a version of the song, it was definitely the original that I was listening to.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:53 AM

I was quite (pleasantly) surprised to find out that these guys are punk band Bad Brains - thanks to DAve Grohl's documentary series, I might add.

Also, Arthur Lee I only found out about last year, after years of listening to Love covers and oblique references in Lloyd Cole songs. Why I didn't find out about Love at the same time as all the other great 60s bands, IDK.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely would have thought female had you not said it was unexpected. I mean, now that I know, I can sorta tell by the timbre of the higher notes--clearly belting notes that a woman with that light a voice would not usually have to belt--but the female impression at the beginning was so strong I'd not have noticed.

I have no idea why people would have thought he was black, though. He doesn't even sound like he's trying to sound black.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:12 PM

Not exactly the same thing, but I had a performer's gender wrong after I'd seen them.I often fall asleep with the tv on and then wake up to Carson Daily's show. I have seen the most interesting musical acts, including this song being performed by Borns. I thought it was a chick that is particularly mannish and I was kind of bummed that it isn't a guy He looked a bit more ambiguous in the performance I saw than in the link, but you get the idea.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Yeah, I definitely would have thought female had you not said it was unexpected. I mean, now that I know, I can sorta tell by the timbre of the higher notes--clearly belting notes that a woman with that light a voice would not usually have to belt--but the female impression at the beginning was so strong I'd not have noticed.

I have no idea why people would have thought he was black, though. He doesn't even sound like he's trying to sound black.
That song sounds like a schmaltzy soul number of the day. It's a ringer for a Stevie Wonder song. It didn't get that way by being a caucasian sounding vocal. You can't lump it in with any white rock of 1969, to me, esp the lyrics. Also you would have to listen to Apples Peaches Pumpkin pie, or a lot others to get the same feel, not any white records from 1969.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:43 PM

Amy Winehouse wasn't the race, age or had the fashion sense I pictured.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 PM

After hearing their song (for the first time ever, despite living in their hometown) on American Dad, I wouldn't have expected Wax Fang to look like they do.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 AM

I totally agree with bup upstream. CharLEY Patton was a "creole" -- as was the great Little Walter.

So sayeth Atomic Mama.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:28 PM

Being a middle-aged man who grew up in the Seventies, I've probably heard "In The Summertime" by Mungo Jerry a thousand times over the years. Never really made an impression other than "Oh, that song with the slightly rapey lyrics ('If her daddy's rich, take her out for a meal. If her daddy's poor, just do what you feel')".

But I certainly never expected the lead singer to look like this.

Muttonchops. Never a good idea.

I also didn't realize until seeing the video that the "blowing-across-the-mouth-of-a-jug" sound in the song was created by, well, blowing across the mouth of a jug.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:28 PM
BANNED

I first heard of Truman Capote around 1972 when the movie based on his book "In Cold Blood" seemed to be on television every three months. Guy writes a book about a brutal murder, name is Capote so his father is Italian (actually step father who was Cuban. But Phil Rizzuto thought Lou Piniella was Italian until Frank Messer said he was Spanish). Got to be some New York/Boston/Philadelphia dem-and-dose guy. Saw Capote on a talk show.....never expected that at all!.