Old 08-25-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp View Post
Morty just wanted to get the family, so they could take them with them if they lose. Seems reasonable enough. That would also increase the number of planets they could go to if things go wrong. Also the lie was very quickly uncovered.
Again, I think Rick lied in order to get Morty to stay and help him save the planet.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:57 PM

I really liked the most recent episode. I was also glad to see Birdperson come back.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
I really liked the most recent episode. I was also glad to see Birdperson come back.
But what about Tammy? Were you happy to see Tammy? Birdperson without Tammy is like a Minnesota potluck without a hotdish .

Last edited by Tamerlane; 08-25-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:37 PM
SDSAB

I was underwhelmed by the Interstellar Idol episode. Less than the sum of its parts - just didn't make me laugh that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
...(IIRC, the last time they did that, Rick said there were maybe only four or five universes total where they'd be able to replace themselves and fit in.)
IIRC, it wasn't that there were only that few universes as possibilities, but that they would only be able to do it that many more times. It was more of a meta joke as to just how often the audience would be willing to accept that kind of easy way out.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
But what about Tammy? Were you happy to see Tammy? Birdperson without Tammy is like a Minnesota potluck without a hotdish .
Of course.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Last night's episode wasn't quite as schwifty as last week's, but it worked better as a serious sci-fi outing. For once, Summer is the one who ends up traumatized (though I think Morty's experience in the post-credits scene would probably haunt someone.) Rick having Inspector Gadget's skis cracked me up.

I thought they were going for an Avatar pastiche with the great tree somehow being the key to them escaping the teenyverse, but then they defied my expectations by just having Morty rant about how the tree people kill every third baby because they think it makes bigger fruit and last week he masturbated to a curvy piece of driftwood.

Last edited by Smapti; 08-31-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:41 PM

Really enjoyed the guest voicework of Stephen Colbert. And the bit with the cop (Alan Tudyk) and the drowned son was creepy good.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:07 PM
SDSAB

Yup. Much better than last week's IMHO. I liked the regressively smaller universes and how each top scientist had Rick's same idea - and his growing irritation with that, and his inability to see what a hypocrite he was. The fights between Rick and the big-headed scientist whom Colbert voiced were hilarious (and did you notice Colbert's character used his signature eagle to carry away Rick's viper?).

I had to write down two bits of dialogue, in particular:

SUMMER: "You know you're kind of a dick, right?"
CAR: "My function is to keep Summer safe, not to keep Summer 'being, like, totally stoked about, like, the general vibe and stuff.' That's you. That's how you talk."

MORTY: "This is Koo-alla, the spirit tree. For generations it has guided the... you have to get us the f___ out of here! These people are backwards savages. They eat every third baby because they think it makes fruit grow bigger! Everyone's gross and they all smell like piss all the time. I miss my family. I miss my laptop. I masturbated to an extra-curvy piece of driftwood the other day. Look, I don't care what it takes. You two are putting aside your bullshit, and you're working together to get us back home."

I think we should celebrate Ricksgiving every Aug. 30 (the day the episode aired) from now on. "Happy Ricksgiving, beeeeyitch!"
Old 09-01-2015, 02:17 PM

Yeah, I enjoyed this episode much more than last weeks. In fact, I just finished watching it again. That melting son was brutally hilarious.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:19 PM
BANNED

Easily one of the best of the series, if not the best.

Additionally the perfect episode to introduce new people to the show.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:23 PM

I check this out a week ago because of this thread, since then I've watched every episode. What a fantastic show. For as light and funny as it is, it can get metaphysically deep in a way no other show I've seen can match.

My lease favorite is Lawmower Dog and the best is Anatomy Park.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:33 PM
BANNED

BTW did anyone expect some kind of reveal in the after credits scene that Rick's universe was also a powercell in a higher reality? Maybe some fourth wall breaking snark about consumerism or something, I did.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM

I just watched the episode last night and my DVR cut off right as the credits started so I missed the after part. Would someone be so kind as to explain what happened?

Nevermind. Found it on youtube.

Great episode btw.

Last edited by Drunky Smurf; 09-01-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
I just watched the episode last night and my DVR cut off right as the credits started so I missed the after part. Would someone be so kind as to explain what happened?
Morty is daydreaming in his classroom when he suddenly transforms into a car(like Rick asked him to earlier) he crushes a classmate accidentally.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Yup. Much better than last week's IMHO. I liked the regressively smaller universes and how each top scientist had Rick's same idea - and his growing irritation with that, and his inability to see what a hypocrite he was.
I don't think it's so much that Rick doesn't realize he's a hypocrite, as that he doesn't care if he's a hypocrite. His worldview isn't completely amoral, but his compassion for other living beings is pretty much based on how useful they are to him, and he's not above using other people's morality against them even if he personally doesn't believe it. (Note how when he argues with Zeep about the ethics of the pocket universe, he repeats Morty's argument word for word.) He cares about his family, but he's not above implanting nanobots in Morty without his knowledge or consent, abandoning Jerry at a daycare center on another planet, or cutting his losses and fleeing to another universe if things go south.

...and that's the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the news goes.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't think it's so much that Rick doesn't realize he's a hypocrite, as that he doesn't care if he's a hypocrite. His worldview isn't completely amoral, but his compassion for other living beings is pretty much based on how useful they are to him, and he's not above using other people's morality against them even if he personally doesn't believe it. (Note how when he argues with Zeep about the ethics of the pocket universe, he repeats Morty's argument word for word.) He cares about his family, but he's not above implanting nanobots in Morty without his knowledge or consent, abandoning Jerry at a daycare center on another planet, or cutting his losses and fleeing to another universe if things go south.

...and that's the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the news goes.
I think it would be interesting to see a flashback of the kind of man Rick was before he left earth, or went to another reality in the multiverse.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:14 PM

I'm sure we'll see it sometime.

For all the talk of not caring about continuity and ongoing storylines... they certainly are playing around with it a lot.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

My 23 year old co-worker and separately my 20 year old nephew have been bugging me to watch R&M for a while now despite the fact that I don't like Archer, don't generally like animated shows and don't like the fantasy genre. They insisted that I would still love R&M. And they were so right. Holy crap that is some intelligent and though provoking humor.

I spent most of last Friday night and Saturday binge watching the entirety of R&M and then watched my first show in real time on Sunday.

I'm 51 and an engineer and my co-worker is a fairly newly minted technician. He told me that I remind him a lot of Rick so now I refer to him as my Morty which if you knew the two of us is hilarious, trust me. We could totally pull it off for Halloween.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:20 PM

I don't blame Rick for being amoral or a drunk, we've seen plenty of messed up things in just the few episodes so far. How does morality even work when you zip daily to universes where all those rules do not apply,. He just wanted to have fun for an afternoon playing Roy, but Morty wanted to do the right thing and look where that got them. Morty has to eat breakfast every morning 20 feet from his own corpse, what is the amount of twisted shit Rick has to cope with?

Dr. Who was a Time Lord, I assume they're mentally equipped to handle this stuff. Rick is just a smart tourist.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:22 PM

I don't know. Creating a planet of slaves to power your ship kinda ticks him above "smart tourist" in my books.

Great episode. The look of disgust on Morty's face as he grudgingly gives a double "peace among planets" to the crowd was killer.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Great episode. The look of disgust on Morty's face as he grudgingly gives a double "peace among planets" to the crowd was killer.
Which gets a nice callback when Zeep gives the peace sign to the people in his microverse and thinks it's exactly as funny as Rick thinks flipping them off is.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:28 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
I think it would be interesting to see a flashback of the kind of man Rick was before he left earth, or went to another reality in the multiverse.
I wondered about that. His morality/ethics aside, he looks so little like his daughter (and I think he may be the only human to appear on the show who has non-Earth-normal hair), I wonder if he went through some weird, body-altering experience sometime in the past.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM

Rick and Morty started out as a parody of Doc (Brown) and Marty (McFly), so Rick's weird hair is just a stylized way of reproducing Doc Brown's crazy hair.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Great episode, but some things didn't make sense to me.

1. Why would they dress up "as aliens". They already were aliens to them, with a different body type.

2. Did Rick just casually kill the miniverse? That is by far the worst thing he has ever done. Why did he even do that.

3. I forgot the other things.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:

1. Why would they dress up "as aliens". They already were aliens to them, with a different body type.

2. Did Rick just casually kill the miniverse? That is by far the worst thing he has ever done. Why did he even do that.

3. I forgot the other things.
He killed the miniverse so that the people in his microverse would again use the gooble boxes so that they would again power rick's car, which was the whole reason they went into the microverse to begin with.

And yet again, I find myseld wondering what went wrong in my life as I typed in the words "gooble boxes"

Last edited by snfaulkner; 09-02-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Life reflection commentary
Old 09-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
He killed the miniverse so that the people in his microverse would again use the gooble boxes so that they would again power rick's car, which was the whole reason they went into the microverse to begin with.
And as a further result, killed the tinyverse within the miniverse with the baby-eating tree people. A double-genocide. But, hey - listen to that battery purr!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I think that <is> the joke, they both think they need to but don't realize they already look like aliens.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
And as a further result, killed the tinyverse within the miniverse with the baby-eating tree people. A double-genocide. But, hey - listen to that battery purr!
Every time MY car doesn't start, I would gladly double, triple, HEXIgenocide to get it going again, if that's what it took. And if genocides were as easy as knocking a lobster tank to the floor.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Not quite. It was the threat to Zeep's universe (that Rick would throw away the malfunctioning battery) that caused them to switch back to the gooble boxes. But the threat had to be credible, and so Rick casually destroyed the miniverse (and its teenyverse) to demonstrate that he'd be willing to do it to the microverse as well. Arguably, Zeep knew Rick well enough that this wasn't strictly necessary. But it didn't cost Rick anything, and clinched the deal.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:32 PM
BANNED

I would think the tree people were sentient, if not at the level of understanding and using electricity.

Is the dominant species in Rick's home galaxy(or several galaxies) those insectoids? In every episode dealing with "government" like galactic customs in the pilot and the "Federation" outpost in the Fart episode the facilities are run by the insectoids.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Not quite. It was the threat to Zeep's universe (that Rick would throw away the malfunctioning battery) that caused them to switch back to the gooble boxes. But the threat had to be credible, and so Rick casually destroyed the miniverse (and its teenyverse) to demonstrate that he'd be willing to do it to the microverse as well. Arguably, Zeep knew Rick well enough that this wasn't strictly necessary. But it didn't cost Rick anything, and clinched the deal.
But the miniverse was also the microverse's alternative source of power so the threat was there but they had to go back to the goople boxes for practical reasons as well.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:46 PM

How scientifically accurate is this show?
Old 09-03-2015, 12:27 AM

Well my microverse works the same way as Rick's but I don't have a portal gun so I can't speak to that.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
But the miniverse was also the microverse's alternative source of power so the threat was there but they had to go back to the goople boxes for practical reasons as well.
Zeep could have built another, though. Rick anticipated that possibility, but correctly predicted that he wouldn't. Most likely, Zeep destroyed the plans and sabotaged any potential efforts to rebuild the miniverse.

Maybe he eventually figured out how to build a more powerful miniverse so that the spare power could be sent upstream to Rick. Dangerous, though, if the miniverse decides to call it quits.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Zeep could have built another, though. Rick anticipated that possibility, but correctly predicted that he wouldn't. Most likely, Zeep destroyed the plans and sabotaged any potential efforts to rebuild the miniverse.

Maybe he eventually figured out how to build a more powerful miniverse so that the spare power could be sent upstream to Rick. Dangerous, though, if the miniverse decides to call it quits.
Why not build several miniverses? You could stage them so that you'll always have one doing their exercises. When one stops working, set it aside or toss it into a ravine.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:13 AM
BANNED

Finding out you live in a miniverse shouldn't cause you to commit suicide or decide your whole life is a lie or fake.

Its still real and meaningful to you, unless you're a religious fanatic or something.

Its like the theory our universe is a simulation, so what? I still made meaningful decisions and actions and my life isn't "fake" from my perspective.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
How scientifically accurate is this show?
Exceptionally. Long as you remember that sometimes science is more art than science.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Right, this is how I saw it too. So now Rick is Grand Moff Tarkin. Killing an entire world mostly to send a message.

Which is not how I personally like a main character. I like how he has been sort of riding a moral line, or just beyond it, but not too far. He sold weapons to the assassin, but took care to point out that the assassin would kill people whatever he did. He activily tried to save earth from the heads. That's what I like to see, not the adventures of mr. evil and a kid.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Right, this is how I saw it too. So now Rick is Grand Moff Tarkin. Killing an entire world mostly to send a message.
They have some possible outs, if they want to employ them. Rick might know, for instance, that smashing the lobster box just disconnects the nanoverse from your universe, leaving it to safely develop on its own. If Rick knew that Zeep didn't know this (or just thought he was an idiot), smashing the box might serve as a credible threat without actually killing anyone.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:05 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
...Is the dominant species in Rick's home galaxy(or several galaxies) those insectoids? In every episode dealing with "government" like galactic customs in the pilot and the "Federation" outpost in the Fart episode the facilities are run by the insectoids.
Good question. Maybe they're just exceptionally skilled robots, er, bureaucrats and public officials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Why not build several miniverses? You could stage them so that you'll always have one doing their exercises. When one stops working, set it aside or toss it into a ravine.
Hey, let's all go out to the quarry and throw in miniverses!

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 09-03-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Which is not how I personally like a main character. I like how he has been sort of riding a moral line, or just beyond it, but not too far. He sold weapons to the assassin, but took care to point out that the assassin would kill people whatever he did. He activily tried to save earth from the heads. That's what I like to see, not the adventures of mr. evil and a kid.
This isn't the first time Rick has resorted to cold-blooded murder, of course. Just last week he disintegrated the president's bodyguards who were just doing their job (and lied about turning them into snakes). He casually executed "Uncle Steve" before he was even 100% sure he was a memory parasite. He blew up the Zigerian flagship with hundreds or thousands of people onboard, most of whom were probably completely uninvolved in the attempt to scam him.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:05 PM
SDSAB

Yeah, "respect for or protection of sentient life" is not high on Rick's list of priorities.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
This isn't the first time Rick has resorted to cold-blooded murder, of course. Just last week he disintegrated the president's bodyguards who were just doing their job (and lied about turning them into snakes). He casually executed "Uncle Steve" before he was even 100% sure he was a memory parasite. He blew up the Zigerian flagship with hundreds or thousands of people onboard, most of whom were probably completely uninvolved in the attempt to scam him.
Yes. These are all examples that I think are interesting, and where he hasn't lost me completely.

He killed the bodyguards as a way to help save the whole planet.

If there are these parasites, you are going to have to take chances. Otherwise they will spread, and possibly take over the world.

The Zigerians blew themselves up. And if you fight for someone who is doing evil things, you can be treated like a combatant.

Etc.

But killing a whole world in order to save money on the battery. No.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But killing a whole world in order to save money on the battery. No.
At that point, it's almost not even about the battery itself to Rick so much as it's about getting one over on Zeep. Rick barely gets along with the other Ricks, so the idea of a being that he created being as intelligent and cocksure as he is, and getting the upper hand on him, is intolerable.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Whatever the reason, am I really the only one for whom this event crossed a line?

In all future episodes, what's the point of moral input from Morty? If he will commit genocide under these circumstances, there is obviously nothing he won't do. I can watch TV with some pretty bad people, such as Rick before this event, or Walter White. But this is too much!
Old 09-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In all future episodes, what's the point of moral input from Morty? If he will commit genocide under these circumstances, there is obviously nothing he won't do
Has there ever been any point to Morty's moral input? The very first episode of the show featured him dragging Morty out of school against his will, using him as an intergalactic drug mule, and then allowing him to slip into a suppository-induced psychosis in order to hide said drug muling from his family. Rick is, at best, a sociopath and always has been.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:53 PM
SDSAB

'fraid you're right. But very entertaining.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Whatever the reason, am I really the only one for whom this event crossed a line?
It didn't cross one for me. It's a cartoon. A dark, dark cartoon. The unreality of the medium gives it a bit more leeway to play with boundaries. I'm not always all about relating to characters anyway - I just need them to entertain me. For me at least this goes even more so for cartoon characters. And entertain Rick & Morty does .

I think anything can be funny if done right and if it is simultaneously disturbing ( like the ship's devastating emotional assault defense ) and makes you think that is often to the better. I'm sure the show could step over the line of funny for me. If, say, Mr Jellybean's attempted rape of Morty or Summer's near gang-rape by the male Gazorpazorpians had actually been successful...well...that would probably have been not so amusing. But for me at least so far they've successfully managed to walk the tightrope between hilariously bleak and just plain bleak.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 09-03-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Has there ever been any point to Morty's moral input? The very first episode of the show featured him dragging Morty out of school against his will, using him as an intergalactic drug mule, and then allowing him to slip into a suppository-induced psychosis in order to hide said drug muling from his family. Rick is, at best, a sociopath and always has been.
In the Unity episode on the derelict ship he advises his grandkids if they find any facehugger eggs to give them a good shake since they are valuable. I suppose you could argue he has a way to remove the alien fetus without it killing them, and later in the episode he does sheepishly worry whether they were in the town Unity nuked.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

On a completely different note. We've known since the first season that Rick's surname is "Sanchez." Neither he nor Beth look like anything but the standard cartooniverse WASP. Is there any reason I've missed that the creators gave Rick a Hispanic name?

Could be mixed parentage, I suppose. Jerry Garcia certainly physically favored his Irish mom over his Mexican bandleader dad. A lot of Deadheads I know are surprised when they learn Jerry's father was Mexican.