Old 09-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
On a completely different note. We've known since the first season that Rick's surname is "Sanchez." Neither he nor Beth look like anything but the standard cartooniverse WASP. Is there any reason I've missed that the creators gave Rick a Hispanic name?

Could be mixed parentage, I suppose. Jerry Garcia certainly physically favored his Irish mom over his Mexican bandleader dad. A lot of Deadheads I know are surprised when they learn Jerry's father was Mexican.
You might be surprised that Jerry's paternal grandfather was from Spain and that Jerry had no Mexican heritage.

Last edited by hajario; 09-05-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:05 AM

"Maybe we'll see Chewbacca..." has become a codephrase in the Isamu household when it's time for nookie. I don't know what it means, but it just might be filthy.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:30 PM
SDSAB

Neither Rick nor his daughter Beth look Latino/a in the usual animated style. Just not a dominant gene set for either of them, or maybe the appearances of one or both were changed due to something Rick did - or had done to him - in his dimension-hopping?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:59 PM

I just discovered this show and am working my way through season 1, but I really love the voicework - the slight stumbling of both Rick and Morty. I literally (REAL literally, not Internet literally) had tears running down my face at Rick's reaction to the Lucky Charms parody in "Rixty Minutes". "Kid, when you're selling cereal - you've, you've, you've got to pump the gas. Gotta put the pedal to the metal, OK?"
Old 09-06-2015, 11:11 PM
SDSAB

The blank faces on those kids as they gutted the leprechaun is what got to me. Ye gods.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Apparently there was no new episode last night. How am I supposed to get schwifty without my fix?
Old 09-07-2015, 02:14 PM

No new episode is what we in bird culture call a dick move.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:37 PM
SDSAB

ALL of Rick's moves are dick moves!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:18 AM

I watched the first two episodes, then immediately had to get my brother in on the show. We binged every episode this weekend. It is my new favorite show. Very good writing!
Old 09-08-2015, 01:13 PM

I discovered the show in late July, and sort of did a light binge until I got caught up a couple of weeks ago, and now I await a new episode each week (well, except this week.)
Old 09-08-2015, 07:36 PM

And I'm glad I caught up, so I can now follow the discussions in this thread.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:57 PM
SDSAB

I'm caught up too, I think. Was Jerry giving birth, while Beth held his hand and Morty and Summer pointed guns on him, ever in an episode, or is that just an opening-credits scene?
Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
I'm caught up too, I think. Was Jerry giving birth, while Beth held his hand and Morty and Summer pointed guns on him, ever in an episode, or is that just an opening-credits scene?
Just in the credits.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Just in the credits.

So far...
Old 09-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Rick and Morty is back! All is schwifty once more.

I love how the fact that vampires are real is introduced so casually and then resolved completely offscreen. I felt the Beth & Jerry storyline was a little weak and didn't develop the nature of their relationship much beyond what we've already seen, but the Tiny Rick story was great. I get the impression that Tiny Rick is more like what Rick was when he was young himself before he became a galactic traveler, Morty gets a chance to show how Rick's been rubbing off on him by playing the world-weary cynic, and convincing him to go back to his original self by making him listen to Elliott Smith was hilarious.

Principal Vagina mentions that Rick is 80 years old, which is interesting. Summer is 17 and Beth got pregnant with her when she herself was 17, which means Beth is 34-35. Therefore, Rick was around 45 when Beth was born, and around 65 when he disappeared to explore the multiverse.

Also, the music to the "Let Me Out" dance is clearly an off-key rendition of "I Need You Tonight" by INXS.

Memorable quotes, first from Morty; "Get your shit together. Get it all together, and put it in a backpack, all your shit, and make sure it's together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know? Take it to the shit store and sell it. Or put it in a shit museum. I don't care what you do! You just gotta get it together. Get your shit together."

And;

Jerry: "I had a feeling that, in your mind, the ideal version of me is one smart enough to see you as a goddess."

Beth: "Not such a stupid worm now, are you?"

Jerry: "Honey, when it comes to the subject of your ego, I'm Stephen fucking Hawkinson."

Beth: "It's... never mind, I love you."

And the Vampire King; "From now on, no more of this clever name bullshit. From now on, when a vampire is pretending to be a human, they can just call themselves Alan Jefferson or something like that. It's crazy, right? I mean, am I being an asshole? I feel like everyone in the room is looking at me like I'm the buzzkill. I'm not? Alright! Great." (devours a virgin)

And both Morty and Summer: "PANTS!"

Last edited by Smapti; 09-14-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:57 PM

My favorite bit from this episode was what Jerry said right after Beth told him that her father was the reason their children were only half stupid: "Ha! You just called yourself - oh . . ."

Also, the Tiny Rick "Haha, yeah, goingtohighschoolwithmygrandkidsI'm TINY RICK!" followed by highfives.

Last edited by Octarine; 09-14-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:21 PM

I loved the Beth and Jerry parts of this episode.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:48 PM

There seemed to be a strange discontinuity between the scene where Beth and Jerry first saw the imagined versions of themselves, and then the next scene featuring Beth and Jerry, where they're being shown a series of imagined couples.

At the end of the first scene, B&J were very pissed off at each other. At the beginning of the second, they were happily chatting together excitedly about what they were seeing.

Did I miss an intervening scene or something?
Old 09-14-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I loved the Beth and Jerry parts of this episode.
I like the Jerry parts of every episode.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:32 AM

Operation Phoenix was certainly terminated with extreme prejudice.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:50 PM
BANNED

Is Beth's problem that she is comparing Jerry to her father?

Well no shit Jerry is boring compared to a psychotic drug addict mad scientist, who has almost gotten you and your whole family killed numerous times. And incidentally abandoned you for two decades.

I think this is the dynamic they are setting up, and it reflects poorly on Beth and Rick not Jerry.

But yea locking your wife out of the car with a murderous hobo, and all the other times doesn't reflect good on Jerry either. Does Jerry even have a job?

EDIT:Oh yea Rick is 80! WOW!

And did Tiny Rick and the operation phoenix clones reveal Rick has been white haired since birth?

Last edited by grude; 09-15-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Jerry had a job in advertising but he lost it with the disastrous apple presentation.

ETA: Apple as in the Apple Fruit Growers Association or something, not computers or the record company.

Last edited by hajario; 09-15-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
Is Beth's problem that she is comparing Jerry to her father?

Well no shit Jerry is boring compared to a psychotic drug addict mad scientist, who has almost gotten you and your whole family killed numerous times. And incidentally abandoned you for two decades.

I think this is the dynamic they are setting up, and it reflects poorly on Beth and Rick not Jerry.

But yea locking your wife out of the car with a murderous hobo, and all the other times doesn't reflect good on Jerry either.
She also apparently thinks of him as being extremely submissive, seeing as how Worm-Jerry literally bent over the instant Real Jerry challenged it. "No! Nobody's doing that!"

Also, Rick was only absent for 15 years, not a full two decades. Which, considering that Morty is 14, probably means that at some point we're going to get a full explanation of why a picture of infant Morty was hanging on Birdperson's wall.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
She also apparently thinks of him as being extremely submissive, seeing as how Worm-Jerry literally bent over the instant Real Jerry challenged it. "No! Nobody's doing that!"

Also, Rick was only absent for 15 years, not a full two decades. Which, considering that Morty is 14, probably means that at some point we're going to get a full explanation of why a picture of infant Morty was hanging on Birdperson's wall.
The funny thing is everytime the shit really hits the fan Jerry is usually the one that responds the smartest and most assertive way, see the Cronenberg's episode and this one when he assaults mental Beth.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Upon further review, this is the Elliott Smith song Summer played for Tiny Rick that convinced him to give up.

It's a pretty clever Easter egg on the writers' part, since the lyrics relate so closely to what Tiny Rick is going through.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:32 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Operation Phoenix was certainly terminated with extreme prejudice.
Tell me about it. Yeesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
...And did Tiny Rick and the operation phoenix clones reveal Rick has been white haired since birth?
Yes - but the clones were grown from Rick's current DNA, presumably, and whatever made him look the way he does now - utterly unlike his daughter - might have rewritten his DNA entirely.

Great episode. The alien wedding-counseling plot was fun (loved seeing Beth as both a bloodthirsty xenomorph and some kind of Hindu demigoddess).

Favorite lines:

"Pretty specific pitch, Summer. I probably could turn myself into a teenager and hang out in the zit-covered, hormone-addled, low-stakes assworld that is high school, but here's my reverse ask: why in the f___ would I ever do that, ever, and how dare you even ask me that, and why aren't you more ashamed of yourself?

"Man, who would've suspected Coach Feratu?"

"Tiny Rick! Woohoo!" (and later) "Old Rick, ruinin' everything!!!!"
Old 09-15-2015, 08:51 PM

http://www.windycityrollers.com/members/rose-feratu/
Old 09-16-2015, 09:26 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
:: sharpens a stake; buys a plane ticket to Chicago ::
Old 09-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

"I've dwelt among the humans. Their entire culture is built around their penises. It's funny to say they are small. It's funny to say they are big. I've been to parties where humans have held bottles, pencils, Thermoses in front of themselves, and called out 'Hey, look at me, I'm Mr. So-and-So-Dick, I've got such-and-such for a penis. I never saw it fail to get a laugh."

This was a pretty schwifty episode overall. The B-story with Jerry's penis was solid enough that it could have been its own episode, and it actually feels like it should have been - it almost detracted from the main idea of showing off random TV shows from parallel universes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to pour myself a heaping bowl of Eyeholes and some soft-serve from Butthole Ice Cream and binge-watch the new season of Man Vs. Car.

Another pop music joke - during the standup comedian's TV show, he recites his dis over "Popcorn" by Gershon Kingsley.

"Is it important that we know who Jan-Michael Vincent was in order to get this?"
"Nope."

Last edited by Smapti; 09-21-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:15 PM

Werner Herzog lending his legendary voice really tickled me. Wonder how he was recruited...
Old 09-21-2015, 03:27 PM

I really disliked the last episode. None of the TV stuff worked for me, and I really liked the last TV episode. It leaned too much on disgust. Only one funny line really, which was the quoted "I've dwelt among the humans..." line. I disliked the Jerry getting shot and surviving bit. They can do that, but they have difficulty building a penis - doesn't make sense.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:27 PM

Yeah, the improvised TV stuff this time didn't wow me. There were some laughs in there, but it felt pretty "done before." Didn't really go in any new directions, and didn't have the weirdly-satisfying tie back to the B story last they pulled off last year. The Jerry b-plot was itself funny.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp View Post
I really disliked the last episode. None of the TV stuff worked for me, and I really liked the last TV episode. It leaned too much on disgust. Only one funny line really, which was the quoted "I've dwelt among the humans..." line. I disliked the Jerry getting shot and surviving bit. They can do that, but they have difficulty building a penis - doesn't make sense.
Agreed. So far I'm finding the season to be a bit of a let-down compared to the first.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:58 AM
BANNED

new episode had nothing but gratuitous violence, blood and gore, and penis jokes. with the typical amount of cussing. when did it become ok to say asshole and shit on cable?

it didn't even have a plot. the whole episode was just short clips on alien cable. might as well have been a Robot Chicken episode

I liked the part when Morty talked about Worf from Star Trek. I've seen that show. It's funny when TV shows reference other shows I know

Last edited by PSXer; 09-22-2015 at 04:01 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:26 AM
BANNED

Booooooring! A plot, ok B plot.

I suspect the creators realized how boring the A plot was, which is why they created the B plot.

But other than this excellent season, please no more multiverse cable episodes in the future the gag is tired.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:26 AM
SDSAB

Not the best show, alas. Beth's expressions as she looked though the penis catalog were funny, though. The two best lines:

BETH: "Which do you prefer between the XP20 and the XP20XS?"
JERRY: "I'd prefer my own penis, and so should you!"

BETH: "You can't make people like you; you just have to wait for hating you to bore them."
Old 09-22-2015, 10:27 AM

Yeah, I liked the first "TV shows from other dimensions" episode, and I thought it was a clever idea for an episode, but I got the feeling that maybe it wasn't something that would really work out twice.

Although I was amused by the Michal/Pichael twins.

Last edited by EmilyG; 09-22-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I agree with the consensus. The other dimensions thing didn't work for me at all.

I did like how how Jerry was being rushed into the hospital with this horrible disease and we never get to know the backstory but obviously Rick was behind the whole thing. I was half thinking that that it would finally lead up to the Jerry giving birth clip from the opening credits.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

I stand by my opinion that Man Vs. Car would be a great idea for the next reality game show. (Also, it's got me curious as to how someone would go about defeating a car in unarmed combat.)
Old 09-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I stand by my opinion that Man Vs. Car would be a great idea for the next reality game show. (Also, it's got me curious as to how someone would go about defeating a car in unarmed combat.)
Sugar in the gas tank?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sugar in the gas tank?
Maybe, if you can get the gas tank open while the car is trying to run you over...
Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I liked the episode in general, and I would totally watch Man Vs. Car, but what really irked me is that nobody was driving the car. But really to defeat a car, bust window, turn ignition off.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:45 PM

I thought the first cable TV episode seemed pretty slapdash, and the second one was worse. If I wanted to watch "Axe Cop", I'd watch "Axe Cop".
Old 09-22-2015, 10:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Haven't watched it yet. Not too excited by the was you guys are describing it.

I thought the first season alien TV episode was the weakest one, depending on a lot of gross-out stuff, like the Lucky Charms parody.

But I did love "Ball Handlers." Especially Summer's excitement about it. And the way it was briefly brought back in the second season "Microverse Car Battery/Keep Summer Safe" episode.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Haven't watched it yet. Not too excited by the was you guys are describing it.

I thought the first season alien TV episode was the weakest one, depending on a lot of gross-out stuff, like the Lucky Charms parody.

But I did love "Ball Handlers." Especially Summer's excitement about it. And the way it was briefly brought back in the second season "Microverse Car Battery/Keep Summer Safe" episode.
Don't not watch it, even if it isn't the best. It is still better than most of all of television.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I did like how how Jerry was being rushed into the hospital with this horrible disease and we never get to know the backstory but obviously Rick was behind the whole thing.
Actually it is briefly mentioned in the opening of the episode when Beth is bitching to Rick about "who stores mutant bacteria in a Cherry Garcia container" and Rick replies that in his defense it was his freezer drawer.

I'm in general agreement this was a weaker episode and a pale copy of the first inter-dimensional episode ( which I liked ). Eyehole Man in no Tophat Jones. Still better than most TV though. If it had been early in the first season I would have liked it more - it's just that it has been done before, better.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:34 PM

The frustrating thing was they really seemed to KNOW it was a shitty episode and acknowledged it in the show.

It was either network mandated they do a similar channel jump episode or they really are just trolling fans...and a fair bit of this season has seemed like the later.

The season one episode worked because you had the funny improv channel stuff with the gut-wrenching plot of Jerry and Beth's lives without each other and provided a real emotional core for the series.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

They creators were selling it on reddit as it was so great last time that we're doing it again.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Last night's episode was a much schwiftier outing than the previous one, and a great homage/parody of the "one night of violence" trope. I was kind of surprised that they never actually name-dropped "Return of the Archons", since it seemed like that was the one they were borrowing the most thematic cues from. Morty embracing his dark side and purging everyone in a suit of Mega Man power armor to Tony! Toni! Toné! was great, as was the lighthouse keeper reading his hackneyed screenplay. The B-story was on the weak side, but at least it tied in to the main plot, and the post-credits payoff with "Taddy Mason" was hilarious.

Last edited by Smapti; 09-28-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Last night's episode was a much schwiftier outing than the previous one, and a great homage/parody of the "one night of violence" trope. I was kind of surprised that they never actually name-dropped "Return of the Archons", since it seemed like that was the one they were borrowing the most thematic cues from. Morty embracing his dark side and purging everyone in a suit of Mega Man power armor to Tony! Toni! Toné! was great, as was the lighthouse keeper reading his hackneyed screenplay. The B-story was on the weak side, but at least it tied in to the main plot, and the post-credits payoff with "Taddy Mason" was hilarious.
I haven't seen it yet, but that précis seems sooooooo schwifty. Tony! Toni! Toné! ? Oh man. 20% accurate as usual! Doo be doo be doo!