Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 PM

Question: What was Durkon's "prophecy?" That he'd return to his homeland after he died? So, presuming they do go back to his homeland, does this count?

I'm just wondering about potential loopholes / twists.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

That's right, Hilgya was a cleric of Loki. She might find herself charmed by Durkula, though she would know the risks of a close encounter.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post
Question: What was Durkon's "prophecy?" That he'd return to his homeland after he died? So, presuming they do go back to his homeland, does this count?

It was that he'd return "posthumously". Since he has died one can certainly argue that him returning as a vampire qualifies.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Tarq had a ring of true seeing. Would that or any other magical device or spell reveal Durkon's situation? Is this a case of possession?
True Seeing allows you to see through illusions, invisibility, see a Polymorphed object's true state (like V when he was a lizard), etc. It wouldn't reveal a creature to be charmed, under a Suggestion or possessed though.

I can't think of a spell that would reveal what's up with Durkon aside from divination commune-style magic with an explicitly stated "Hey, is Durkon possessed by a negative energy spirit while his true mind is trapped and helpless?" sort of question. Passive styles of divination such as Detect Undead or Detect Evil will just understandably state that he's a vampire so, yeah, he's "evil" as a state of being. Maybe something direct like Discern Lies or Probe Thoughts but those suggest enough suspicion to cast them and then start questioning Dukron and they aren't really "detect vampire spirit" magic like you're asking about. Part of the issue is that, as we went over in the last book, there's no actual rules for what Burlew is doing so there aren't really spells designed around it. Closest I could find would be Soul Dominion but that doesn't say that it's detectable by anything special.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
It was that he'd return "posthumously". Since he has died one can certainly argue that him returning as a vampire qualifies.
There are two prophecies about Durkon's return.

The first was sent to a cleric from Odin. It said that when Durkon returned to his home he would bring destruction. (I don't have the book in front of me but that's the basic message.) So the cleric sent Durkon off on a mission - he told Durkon to go out in the world and not return until the cleric sent for him. He knew Durkon was dutiful and would not return until he was told he could and the cleric did not intend to ever call him back. Durkon himself is not aware of this and the cleric has since died without passing this information on to his successor.

The second prophecy is the one Der Trihs referred to. Durkon asked the Oracle when he would return home and was told "posthumously".
Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 AM

So it looks like both prophecies can come true just by Durkon returning home. Rich plays a long game, indeed. I also imagine that Durkon is going to be witness to a lot of heartbreak as his possessor causes mayhem at at the old dwarven home.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 AM

New Post

Old 04-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Sith Mod

So, apparently, the whole point of yesterday's strip was, "How Durkon learned to swear."

Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 PM

Whoa, Roy looks really different with this new style. Kinda reminds me of the character designs from Adventure Time.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garula View Post
Whoa, Roy looks really different with this new style. Kinda reminds me of the character designs from Adventure Time.
I'll survive and all but I'm not a fan. Roy was easier to picture with high Strength when he had stick figure arms than when he has noodle arms.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Huh. You know what really strikes me about that strip (lightning jokes aside)? Belkar's expression. He doesn't look startled, he looks annoyed/suspicious. It could be just his general "Why aren't we killing the vampire?" attitude, but I have to wonder if he might figure out what's up quicker than we would expect. What is there in this scene that could have roused his suspicion?

I might have to review all the strips, but has Durkon used Thor's name in cursing before? He curses, but he might consider this expression blasphemous (perhaps especially as a reaction to a lightning strike). If so, he may have specifically selected that memory to give DurkEvil a dwarven curse that Durkon himself wouldn't use. The framing of the memory is misdirection to keep DurkEvil from picking up on the fact that it wasn't Durkon himself who used the phrase.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Huh. You know what really strikes me about that strip (lightning jokes aside)? Belkar's expression. He doesn't look startled, he looks annoyed/suspicious. It could be just his general "Why aren't we killing the vampire?" attitude, but I have to wonder if he might figure out what's up quicker than we would expect. What is there in this scene that could have roused his suspicion?

I might have to review all the strips, but has Durkon used Thor's name in cursing before? He curses, but he might consider this expression blasphemous (perhaps especially as a reaction to a lightning strike). If so, he may have specifically selected that memory to give DurkEvil a dwarven curse that Durkon himself wouldn't use. The framing of the memory is misdirection to keep DurkEvil from picking up on the fact that it wasn't Durkon himself who used the phrase.
In a past strip, Durkon has exclaimed "Thor's Duodenum!" So it's not out of character. I can't remember the exact strip but I think it was in the late 300s, around the "Nale poses as Elan" arc.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
In a past strip, Durkon has exclaimed "Thor's Duodenum!" So it's not out of character. I can't remember the exact strip but I think it was in the late 300s, around the "Nale poses as Elan" arc.
Indeed, "Thor's <bodypart>" seems common, but I don't think we've seen "Thor's Nuts".

I wonder if Durkferatu is going to absent-mindedly give away something the real Durkon can use. Like now the real Durkon knows that what happens in his mind happens near-instantly instead of in real time. I wonder what other interesting little tidbits his counterpart might drop.

The other thing I wonder, is that Durkferatu can't actually compel a particular memory by force. Which makes me wonder if there's something Durkon can hold back, since Durkferatu won't think to look for it, or might not know it exists.

The final thing, which would be a hell of a problem for the vampire, is if Durkon can think of something in his mind's eye that isn't how it happened in real life. For example, if we meet his mother and she has both arms... well, she could have gotten one regenerated, or we could find out that Durkon has been lying about a few little things...
Old 04-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
What is there in this scene that could have roused his suspicion?
It could be that of all the things in the great big world to freak Durkon out, a bolt of lightning probably wouldn't be on the list.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0397.html
Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 PM

I suppose this raises the question of where the possessing negative energy spirit comes from that is so ignorant of its host yet knows enough to masquerade itself and even commune with deities from the host's pantheon.

I mean, really, it needed an assist to figure out "Thor's [X]"?

I wonder if Durkon will be called upon at some point to cast a spell that he's cast previously but is now outside his sphere as a cleric of Hel. The lightning bolt obviously made me think of it although I assume this plot will stretch on throughout the book so nothing major will happen any time soon.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:00 PM

It could be that Durkoon is hoping that Thor will read it as "Thor IS nuts!" Thus, blasphemous. Especially considering that a Bolt of lightning is supposedly an omen for Thor. Maybe Durkon is supposed to say something like "Amen" when a bolt hits nearby.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Heh, I like the idea of them taking it as "Thor is nuts!" although I don't think any of them are theologically inclined enough to take it as anything but Durkon's religion is weird.

Haley's whole attempt at pretending to convert to Thor was to get drunk and yell "Wooo!" a lot. These aren't exactly seminary students
Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post

Haley's whole attempt at pretending to convert to Thor was to get drunk and yell "Wooo!" a lot.
Wait - there's more to it than that?

Dammit, I've been doing it wrong!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Burlew is way ahead of me. I had this detailed post in mind which basically boiled down to, about the only thing Durkon can do is pray to Thor. (The other possibility is simultaneous spell casting with Durkevil, only with a different target: that has limited dramatic possibilities.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
So, apparently, the whole point of yesterday's strip was, "How Durkon learned to swear."

Any variance away from Durkon's old behavior can be explained by the infusion of Dark Energy. But when one's Deity zaps you directly, that says something is up. Even Elan might pick up on that. Hell, he could even suss the situation. Durkevil might have to tell Oots that he's switching deities. Or something.

Usually authors hide this stuff over pages of narrative. Burlew gave us the Durkon/Durkevil confrontation pretty much immediately. He's good. (And -full disclosure- I clearly suck at lit. Hey, at least I try not suffer from Dunning-Kruger.)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:22 AM

I hope that Durkon is intentionally feeding misinformation to his occupier to alert his team mates or even piss off Thor.

Has the High Priest of Hel been officially named yet?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Just to cover the swears, we've also seen "Thor's Taint".

Well, seen a comic in which the phrase is used, anyway...
Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Before we get too deep into this thread, I'd like to reiterate my proposal from the last thread:

We should adopt a standard "new comic" link format. Something very large and very bold -- something that will be obvious to someone who is scrolling quickly through a bumped thread that "this is where you want to click before you go reading anything else".

I'd say something like this would do nicely:
Comic 947 is up.

Agreement/disagreement/discussion?

(And if it's adopted as a standard, I'd be happy to go back and edit the two current links.)
Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
Just to cover the swears, we've also seen "Thor's Taint".
Only if we're Jane Foster.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Before we get too deep into this thread, I'd like to reiterate my proposal from the last thread:

We should adopt a standard "new comic" link format. Something very large and very bold -- something that will be obvious to someone who is scrolling quickly through a bumped thread that "this is where you want to click before you go reading anything else".

Comic 947 is up.

(And if it's adopted as a standard, I'd be happy to go back and edit the two current links.)
Discussion point: I swore at both you and your mother when your post popped up, because I didn't read it, I just saw "is up" and immediately switched to Oots to see the new strip.

Sorry.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Discussion point: I swore at both you and your mother when your post popped up, because I didn't read it, I just saw "is up" and immediately switched to Oots to see the new strip.

Sorry.
I did this same thing. There is no new strip!

I now hate Hal Briston with a searing hatred that will never be extinguished, even at the heat death of the universe, when all atomic activity has ceased and all that remains of every molecule that ever was is cold and lonely silence.

Not really. But we really do need a "shakes fist" smiley. Hal! >shakes fist<

Otherwise Hal's proposal seems like a good one.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM

To be honest, I wasn't really bothered by the old way. I know I don't keep track of the strip numbers so I don't necessarily know when I'm scrolling down whether it's the latest strip at that point or a previous latest strip.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:40 PM

I actually dislike Hal's proposal. It's only a problem when discussion moves the new link to a new page. I find the giant red text jarring. I would argue against it strongly.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

It doesn't address the worst problem - seeing the thread up at the top of the page and assuming there must be a new strip but opening it and finding out it's just new posts about the strips that you've already read.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Comic 947 is up.

YES!
I fully support this. If red is too jarring, any color will work as long as the link is big, bolder, and uncut. I don't follow a lot of the D&D discussion so this would be good IMHO.

Last edited by Foggy; 04-09-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: coffee
Old 04-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

OK, Foggy, that was cruel.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I support Hal's proposal and furthermore recommend that moderators edit posts that don't have bolded text. I don't care whether the color is red or blue. And the top post in this thread should be edited to make this thread-specific policy clear.

This wasn't a huge problem for me in the old thread though: I'm simply saying that the idea is a good improvement.

As for colors, here are some options in size 5:

Red!

Orange!

Blue!

Black!

Yellow!

Green!

DarkSlateBlue!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Measure, you passed up a golden opportunity for the Stroop effect there. I wouldn't have been able to resist.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:04 PM

I never had a problem with it but, if they're going to do it, I'd prefer blue or dark green over red or something else obnoxious.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:13 PM

Meh. I'm fine if someone wants to do the NEW STRIP IS UP thing. I don't find it useful, but it doesn't bother me if that becomes the new things.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketcoder View Post
I find the giant red text jarring.
Isn't that the whole point?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Isn't that the whole point?
Sure, but it fulfills its purpose in a moment and then continues to be obnoxious forever.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketcoder View Post
Indeed, "Thor's <bodypart>" seems common, but I don't think we've seen "Thor's Nuts".
Just for the record, it shows up in 947. That was the piece of information that the evil spirit got out of Durkon's memory.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrafilter View Post
Just for the record, it shows up in 947. That was the piece of information that the evil spirit got out of Durkon's memory.
No kidding, I mean I think we have not seen it outside of Durkon's mind palace, therefore we don't know if Durkon made it up.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Sure, but it fulfills its purpose in a moment and then continues to be obnoxious forever.
That's true: a notable drawback.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Only red or yellow are obnoxious though.
Quote:
Definitely. And I don't think it will work, because it can be readily explained by the negative energy infusion.

It's nonetheless a significant development as it shows that Durkon can yank Durkevil's chain. I take it that Durkevil can ultimately acquire any the information he that he needs if he has sufficient tenacity. Which he may lack.

Perhaps Malack acquired his even temperament after negotiating with inner Malack for a while.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 04-10-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 PM
BANNED

Hmmm. Belkar's idea was to stake Vampire-Durkon just to be safe and resurrect him later.

And now it appears Belkar was right!

This is a worse threat to the fabric of the Universe than the Snarl!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Broken clock, etc... Belkar's idea is always "stab it with fire first, maybe do something with or to it later. Or not. Better : just have a sammich later !". It was bound to be a sound plan eventually
Old 04-17-2014, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Comic #949 is up.

#949 Method Doctor

Last edited by Peter Morris; 04-17-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:06 AM

Elan would be a better doctor if he didn't stab his patients when he cast CCW.

But he's a bard, he's probably not getting many chances to ham it up on the airship, so I won't blame him too much.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

"You've only been in 3 pages so far"
Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 AM

So, I can't tell from the image in that last panel -- does the scalpel wound in the chest (which was helpfully captioned with that "POKE!" sound effect!) get healed by the Cure Critical Wounds, or is that a new wound that doesn't get cured by the magic?

Also, the new font is kind of bugging me.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Definitely. And I don't think it will work, because it can be readily explained by the negative energy infusion.
Nah, it's perfectly in character for Durkon from way back. (Actually I think "Thor's taint!" is even grosser than "Thor's nuts!", personally.)
Old 04-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
So, I can't tell from the image in that last panel -- does the scalpel wound in the chest (which was helpfully captioned with that "POKE!" sound effect!) get healed by the Cure Critical Wounds, or is that a new wound that doesn't get cured by the magic?

Also, the new font is kind of bugging me.
The wound is still there in the last panel, although it is difficult to see.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Nah, it's perfectly in character for Durkon from way back. (Actually I think "Thor's taint!" is even grosser than "Thor's nuts!", personally.)
What about "Thor's unsanitary ear canals!"