Old 08-19-2019, 03:15 PM

The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles . . .

Me: I didn't do anything wrong here. *explains*

DMV Clerk: That's fine then. Just bring in the proof of that and pay the $500 compliance fee and you'll be all set.

Me: What?!? If I prove I did nothing wrong I still get a $500 fine?

DMV Clerk: It's not a fine; it's a fee.

F these everloving f'ers and their f'ing book of regulations. This is what happens when you give a State agency enormous power over the individual but then the legislature cuts their budget year after year. After a while everyone they see is just another @$$hole who has voted in the jerks who are freezing their salaries, increasing their hours and laying off their co-workers.

I know why they hate us, and I know why we hate them. And all along, all of us should be locking arms and storming the State Senate building together.

Last edited by TruCelt; 08-19-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:19 PM

What do they want the 500 bucks for?
Old 08-19-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post

DMV Clerk: That's fine then. Just bring in the proof of that and pay the $500 compliance fee and you'll be all set.

F these everloving f'ers and their f'ing book of regulations. This is what happens when you give a State agency enormous power over the individual but then the legislature cuts their budget year after year. After a while everyone they see is just another @$$hole who has voted in the jerks who are freezing their salaries, increasing their hours and laying off their co-workers.

I know why they hate us, and I know why we hate them. And all along, all of us should be locking arms and storming the State Senate building together.
I think an email to your local state legislator would not be the wrong approach here.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Beer and snacks for their Christmas party.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Something similar happened to me here in Connecticut. I never got any notice that the first emissions inspection was needed for my wife's 2013 Subaru Outback. I only found out when I was unable to renew her registration online.

I was used to registration renewal notices and emissions notices being hit-or-miss, which is why I added reminder notifications to my calendar for all of our vehicles (after being hit with a late fee a couple of years ago for a registration renewal). But emissions inspections aren't required until a vehicle is 4 model years old (I now know). How was I supposed to know when the first inspection was due?*

Fortunately, the late fee was only $20.

*I now know you can look this up and sign up for an email reminder.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The only $500 fee on their list is "Uninsured Motor Vehicle fee," so I'm going to take a wild guess that it's something related to that.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:43 PM

Wow, I see they also have "insurance noncompliance" for another $100. That one sounds like a fine for sure. TruCelt, is the Uninsured Motor Vehicle fee used if you want to register a vehicle that's uninsured? I don't get that one.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:18 PM

No. They accused me of not having insured a vehicle after I no longer owned it. Then they told me to prove I no longer owned it then, pay the "Compliance Fee" and they would unsuspend my license.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 PM

The f'ing f'ers.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

They are all terrible. I am in Texas. I got to our local DL office at 6:15, 75 minutes before it opened. There were only 60 or so people in line. You could tell the amateurs because we didn't bring lawn chairs. Waited until it opened--easily 200 people in line by then. Was informed that in direct contradiction to their website and THE LETTER THEY SENT ME, I need a birth certificate or passport to renew my license. About a third of the line left, including me. I dunno when the 150 or so people behind me heard the message.

Going back Thursday, with my documents. Aiming for 5:30 in the morning.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No. They accused me of not having insured a vehicle after I no longer owned it. Then they told me to prove I no longer owned it then, pay the "Compliance Fee" and they would unsuspend my license.
I just saw this. That's appalling. Is it because the buyers didn't insure it?
Old 08-19-2019, 07:40 PM

Suspended license, in my neck of the woods anyway, is no fooling. Caught driving like that and they can take you away in handcuffs.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
They are all terrible. I am in Texas. I got to our local DL office at 6:15, 75 minutes before it opened. There were only 60 or so people in line. You could tell the amateurs because we didn't bring lawn chairs. Waited until it opened--easily 200 people in line by then. Was informed that in direct contradiction to their website and THE LETTER THEY SENT ME, I need a birth certificate or passport to renew my license. About a third of the line left, including me. I dunno when the 150 or so people behind me heard the message.

Went to my local DPS office to renew my license (also in TX) sometime around 2:30 because I was able to get off work. I live in a small rural area, so I usually only have an hour or so wait. I go in to get a number, but before I can tear it off, a very rotund female employee tells me to "just go wait outside, you don't need a number yet". I looked at her befuddled, as there was plenty of room to wait inside the building. Whenever someone would leave, I would make my way inside, only to get barked at by the woman. Finally, around 4:30 she waddles to the glass door with a printed out sign that read "Customers not inside of the building by 5:00 will not be helped". I ended up going to a different DPS office across the state while visiting family. I will never come back to my local office again.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarhopper View Post
very rotund female employee
Quote:
waddles to the glass door
I agree, how dare they employ a fat person? Have they no shame? No government office has any business letting the obese have jobs. Barbarians!
Old 08-20-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I'd suggest you write the commissioner a polite email.

Richard D. Holcomb
Richard.Holcomb@dmv.virginia.gov

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I did exactly that back in 2009 and got VA DMV policy changed to allow renewed drivers licenses to be sent to APO/FPO Box addresses because deployed folks couldn't renew online and get their license sent to them.

Until I wrote a polite email, explained the situation and asked if they could send me mine. (Which his secretary personally did, along with a nice note) and poof the policy changed.

Write him a polite email. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 08-20-2019, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How long after? This happened to me in Maryland. I sold a motorcycle on a Saturday to buy a new one. I turned in the tags on Monday. I thought that was it, but they sent me something saying I didn't have insurance on a bike I no longer owned for the time I kept the tags. I tried to tell them that I had sold the bike, to a dealer in another state, and turned in the tags.

Try getting your insurance involved. They might have records that will help you out so you don't have to pay the fine/fee. I ended up having to do it twice even though I had sent them proof of insurance they came back a second time.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post

I had to renew my license with a new picture last month so I had to go in person. I got there around 2:00 expecting to spend the rest of the afternoon. There was a long line but I got to the desk after about 30 minutes. The clerk asked if I was using a credit card and when I said yes, she pointed out some kiosks I could use that would cut the wait time. Great. I spent about 15 minutes entering all my information and when it came time to pay, it wouldn't accept American Express. Really? I walked back to the clerk and asked if they did not take AE. Oh, can't use that with the kiosk, but you can use it in person. I guess it was too much trouble to originally say "credit cards except AE" or at least put that somewhere on the machine. So I sat down, filled out all the information again, waited for my number to be called, got my picture taken and paid with AE. It only took about 2 hours total so it could have been worse.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM

Wow, I've never experienced anything like these anecdotes at the Quebec equivalent (la Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec). I remember a long wait at a particularly busy outlet once, so I avoided that one in future, but I'm often out with my renewals or whatever in a half hour.

When I got my most recent vehicle, they entered the registration wrong (or the dealer did; I never found out) and I only learned of this when they mailed me a new one.

Silly Americans; be more Canadian!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Wow, I've never experienced anything like these anecdotes at the Quebec equivalent (la Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec). I remember a long wait at a particularly busy outlet once, so I avoided that one in future, but I'm often out with my renewals or whatever in a half hour.

When I got my most recent vehicle, they entered the registration wrong (or the dealer did; I never found out) and I only learned of this when they mailed me a new one.

Nope, be Swiss.

My driver's license delaminated itself. No problem in Switzerland, but I'm fairly certain the rental car company in the U.S. and other countries won't accept it.

Went to the local version of DMV, went to the information window and he told me to press 3 on the number to get a number. Different numbers are for different categories, so people getting new plates are in a different queue.

Waited 2 minutes for my number to be called. Explained my problem, she gave me a form, which was basically my name and signature and check the box for replacement license.

Told me to sit down. 5 minutes later she called me up and gave me my new license and told me the invoice would be in the mail.

That was it. And the invoice was only 26 CHF. And did i mention, that after converting my license > 15 years ago, I don't have to renew it, or do anything else until I'm 60+? Unless I have a major accident.

My parents had a fun experience recently. My mom got pulled over for expired tabs. After looking up her registration, the officer told her she should put them on, since she already had them.

She did not. She called the DMV and they said that the tabs were there. As my parents had checked the box to pick them up, the tabs were waiting for them and the DMV never called to have them picked up.

My parents have learned their lesson. Next year's tabs will be mailed to their home.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM

The DMV and VA are what scare a lot of Americans from socialized medicine.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
The DMV and VA are what scare a lot of Americans from socialized medicine.
Er, whut????
DMV has nothing whatsoever to do with medical treatment.

The VA (Veteran's Administration) does, sometimes, but TruCelt was referring to VA as in Virginia.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

A couple years back, a friend forgot to renew her license in time (this is also in Virginia).

Turns out there's a bit more burden of proof to get it renewed if you've let it lapse.

Only.... she's a naturalized citizen (which I hadn't known; she doesn't have any kind of non-US accent that I can tell).

So she showed up with all the paperwork, including her original naturalization certificate - and the DMV would not accept that. See, there's some Homeland Security database - and she wasn't in that.

She wound up having to get her state representative involved (maybe it was her US representative).... then all of a sudden everyone was very, very nice to her.

Someone else I know was reported to the DMV as having dropped insurance.

By a company she had not EVER done business with. She had insurance on the car - continuous insurance. She had proof of this. There was never a lapse in coverage. But again, the VA DMV refused to renew her registration without her paying a large reinstatement fee because of the non-lapsed insurance. It's a scam, pure and simple.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Not sure if my experience holds true throughout the Land of Lincoln, but it seems to me that once Jesse White became Secretary of State the DMV experience gradually became much less unpleasant. The last two times I was at my local DMV office, I was out of there in 15 minutes or less. The people who waited on me were professional and courteous. There's a desk just in side the door with staff that ask the reason for your visit and direct you to the appropriate line. If applicable, these "triage" clerks also remind you of what documents you need, so that you don't have to wait in a line only to find you need to go home to fetch something.

Is there an elected official in VA that has ultimate responsibility for the DMV? If so, why is that person re-elected? Maybe it's time for some Virginia voters to volunteer for the campaign of the opponent.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Er, whut????
DMV has nothing whatsoever to do with medical treatment.

The VA (Veteran's Administration) does, sometimes, but TruCelt was referring to VA as in Virginia.
Yeah, but they both ( DMV and Veteran's Adminisration) have to do with government bureaucracy - which is what some people are afraid of - although I haven't noticed insurance company bureaucracy is any better
Old 08-21-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
Yeah, but they both ( DMV and Veteran's Adminisration) have to do with government bureaucracy - which is what some people are afraid of - although I haven't noticed insurance company bureaucracy is any better
That’s the depressing thing. The government screws up but so do private businesses. You’re doomed no matter what.

Last edited by Atamasama; 08-21-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
No shit. This is why we don't trust the government to do anything right.

I recently ended up in a shit-show with the Massachusetts DMV because of a false OUI charge. 30 days license suspension. There is no public transportation where I live so I just went on vacation for a month instead of losing my job, my kids and everything else.

An OUI charge in Massachusetts means on automatic 30 day license suspension with no recourse. It didn't matter that I just got out of the hospital the day before, I wasn't driving and could not complete the field sobriety tests because of a serious injury.

It took three tries to get my license reinstated. I followed everything they said in the letter and it still didn't work. I got turned away the first two times. I finally got my fiance to drive me to Cape Cod at 4 am to the one office that had positive reviews. The lawn chairs were no joke. It is like camping out for concert tickets. We weren't even the first in line. I had all of my paperwork in order and still had to go through a "hearing" from someone that isn't a judge, jury or executioner but apparently still has the authority to destroy your life based on what they ate for breakfast. Those are days and more money than most people make in a year just because of a simple accusation.

I have no idea what other people do. People that live in the western part of the state may have to drive (oh wait, they can't) 3 hours or more and arrive at the ass-crack of dark to maybe see if someone can help them or possibly the next day or next week depending on how the mood strikes and the stars align.

Thankfuly, the people ahead of me in line were little old ladies that happened to be best friends with state senators. We took photos and videos to document how people were being mistreated.

I have a very good public defender as well that is ready to take down an entire affluent town's police department for corruption and failure to follow proper procedures plus abuse while in custody. In short, I am pitting the state against itself and I hope they all burn in hell. That was some money well spent on their part.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post

An OUI charge in Massachusetts means on automatic 30 day license suspension with no recourse. It didn't matter that I just got out of the hospital the day before, I wasn't driving and could not complete the field sobriety tests because of a serious injury.
You got an OUI and were not even driving a vehicle?
Old 08-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Starting a story in media res CAN be an effective writing technique.

CAN be.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What were the circumstances under which the DMV was unaware of your ownership of the vehicle?
Old 08-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Not about the problem itself, but some posters mentioned the long waits at their DMV.

I simply went on-line and made an appointment with my DMV office. Had to renew my license and upgrade to a Enhanced License. I was in and out in less than 15 minutes.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is this by any chance what got you-

Quote:
5. Notify the insurance company that you sold, traded or donated the vehicle.
You must notify the insurance company when you have sold, traded or donated a vehicle. If you bought another vehicle, you may transfer insurance coverage to the new vehicle, providing the required information to the insurance company. Be sure to obtain liability insurance for the other vehicle before you register it with DMV and transfer the old plates or purchase new plates for it.

Avoid Future Problems: Insurance companies notify DMV whenever they cancel, add or write new coverage for a motor vehicle. Therefore, if your insurance company cancels liability coverage on your vehicle because you no longer own it and you don't notify DMV, our records will show that the vehicle is registered in your name but is uninsured. Since it is unlawful to have an uninsured registered vehicle, DMV may suspend your driver's license and vehicle registration privileges.
I know in NY, if I don't turn in my plates immediately when there is an insurance lapse I have to pay a fine depending on how long the lapse is and my license/registration may also be suspended. It doesn't matter when/if I sold the vehicle - what matters is when I surrendered the plates and cancelled the registration.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post

I have no idea what other people do. People that live in the western part of the state may have to drive (oh wait, they can't) 3 hours or more and arrive at the ass-crack of dark to maybe see if someone can help them or possibly the next day or next week depending on how the mood strikes and the stars align.
I live in the urban part of the state (I am not snooty enough to use "commonwealth" without good reason) and I have to travel quite far to get to the RMV. We used to have a branch the next city over but it closed. Now I have to drive TOWARDS Boston to get to the "nearest" branch, but that would be madness. I don't live close enough to easy public transportation to take that there. And it would take a couple buses and/or T-line switches once I got to a bus stop. Probably 4 buses, two trains. So when I have to go, I have to drive halfway to NH because at least that branch has a lot of parking and a decent waiting room and at least it used to have a sort of triage desk where you'd check in and the clerk would make sure you got in the right queue.

For minor things, getting a AAA membership might be worth it, depending on one's state. I renewed my license there, converting to Real ID. Sure, it was a long wait because apparently 1/3 of Massachusetts shares my birthday, but I think generally it's a quick in and out and my local office is 15 minutes away in a location I don't mind driving to... It's better to drive AGAINST rush hour traffic than with it.