Old 05-16-2018, 12:02 PM

season 3 is airing now and they've only aired 4 episodes. Usually there have been 10 to a season and as far as I know, the entire 3rd season is in the can, so no one knows how it ends yet.

Yes, IMO it's worth watching regardless of when production ends: each episode is fantastic and the story arcs & characters are compelling as all hell.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Watch the series then read the books. I abandoned the books part way into the second one, but until that point the TV series was reasonably faithful. (The first season covered around a book and a half.)
Old 05-16-2018, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
season 3 is airing now and they've only aired 4 episodes. Usually there have been 10 to a season and as far as I know, the entire 3rd season is in the can, so no one knows how it ends yet.

Yes, IMO it's worth watching regardless of when production ends: each episode is fantastic and the story arcs & characters are compelling as all hell.
S1 had 10 episodes. S2 had 13.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
S1 had 10 episodes. S2 had 13.
Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't remember for sure and didn't want to look it up.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Is this worth watching even though it's cancelled? Is the ending too obviously unfinished? I don't like shows that end badly.
Quote:

Agreed. Itís worth watching just for Shohreh Agdashloo alone. 😊
Old 05-16-2018, 09:42 PM

Well tonight had the feel of a season finale so next week should see a bunch of new subplots starting. I loved that Holden literally made Mao kneel before Mme Avasarala like she was a medieval queen about to pass sentence on him.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:47 PM

That "I am that guy" line was very predictable but still very satisfying.

Reason the hybrid paused long enough to gets its head shot open?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post

Reason the hybrid paused long enough to gets its head shot open?
It communicated with the other parts of the protomolecule on Venus. It had been connected and part of the work, the work was about to be finished or at least ready for the next stage.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:52 AM

Also, there was protomolecule at work on the Agatha King, in orbit where it was looking.

And possibly Katoa was still in there somewhere, looking at the stars.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Is this worth watching even though it's cancelled? Is the ending too obviously unfinished? I don't like shows that end badly.

Still worth seeing. This last episode might have been the best yet, in a series with lots of great episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post

Particularly because you knew all along that there was no way Amos would ever fall for that doctor's BS, but the doctor thought he would. The moment when he realizes his lies aren't working is just the best.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Well tonight had the feel of a season finale so next week should see a bunch of new subplots starting.
It had that feel because that episode was basically the end of the 2nd book (except for one thing). They'll be moving into Book 3 with the next episode (and with 7 episodes to go this season, they actually may finish Book 3)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
Also, there was protomolecule at work on the Agatha King, in orbit where it was looking.

And possibly Katoa was still in there somewhere, looking at the stars.
That was my internal debate. How much receiving communication from the rest and how much was Katao, possibly sending. His hybrid was supposed to be able to be more stable and might have had part of him still ... considering what he was doing and what best serves the need of "the work". Probably more the being aware of the work in progress and processing it.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Bobby the Marine in her powered armor on a rampage is epic to behold. Jeez she's a freaking badass.

Loved the most recent episode (6) in this season. This show is just so brilliantly done, somebody's got to pick it up, right? RIGHT? Please?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Well, that was magnificent. This show is what a science fiction action show is SUPPOSED to be, not just your run-of-the-mill action shows that is "science fiction" because they use lasers instead of pistols. I want to see what happens to all the characters on the Roci! I want to see what Chrisjen does next! I want to see what happens to Mao! I want to know what Fred Miller does next! I want to see what Anna does now that she knows what a pile of crap the Secretary General is!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:37 PM

THANK YOU AMAZON (assuming this is real)!!!!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...amazon-1113803
Old 05-21-2018, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post

Sounds like it is falling into place.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 PM

It's a Victoria Day miracle!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Well, that was magnificent. This show is what a science fiction action show is SUPPOSED to be, not just your run-of-the-mill action shows that is "science fiction" because they use lasers instead of pistols. I want to see what happens to all the characters on the Roci! I want to see what Chrisjen does next! I want to see what happens to Mao! I want to know what Fred Miller does next! I want to see what Anna does now that she knows what a pile of crap the Secretary General is!
I'm the same way. I've read all the books and so I have a general idea as to several plot outcomes but man does this show bring the book to life in a way that still has me on the edge of my seat. Not to mention it's wonderfully filmed, with excellent CGI and whatnot that's believable, the characters are interesting and unique and it's just a great story about humanity in the not too distant and pretty believable future.

It really sucks you in!

Quote:

Man, please let that be true!

Quote:
It's a Victoria Day miracle!
LOL, it's some kind of miracle all right. I have Netflix, not Prime...d'oh! But I will find a way to watch somehow.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:01 PM

Bobby's powered armor seems to be almost exactly what Heinlein described as scout armor in Starship Troopers. Love this show.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Bobby the Marine in her powered armor on a rampage is epic to behold. Jeez she's a freaking badass.

Have you read the books? If not, you should, because her vs. the hybrid is even better.

SPOILER:
She spends hours reviewing the logs of her unit's first encounter with a hybrid, eventually figuring out its limitations. It's stronger, faster and tougher than she is, even with her armor, but it's still limited by physics. She figures out how to tell when it's at its most vulnerable, which is when she can attack it with the best chance of success. It shows Bobbie not just as a badass with high-tech armor, but also as an actual military expert, who knows how to plan, and implement that plan.

And she also kicks ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Bobby's powered armor seems to be almost exactly what Heinlein described as scout armor in Starship Troopers. Love this show.

That's what I was thinking as well in that scene.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:59 PM

Also, I have to mention one bit with this episode that I absolutely loved, even though it took me a minute to even realize it was happening:

The scene with Cotyar and the young navy lass, when she shoots the protomolecule infected navy guy in the head.

The body doesn't drop to the floor. They're on the float, in zero gee, and the body just hangs there, stuck to the deck by his magnetic boots. That's some good attention to detail.

The TV show hasn't been perfect with its depiction of how things would be in a space environment without some kind of artificial gravity, but they do make a serious effort at it, which places them far above just about every other SF property ever made.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:09 AM

I liked that bit too, Horatius. It made me think for just a split second and remember that they were in zero gee; the lack of suits belied that detail.

I gotta tell y'all: if Jules-Pierre Mao asks anyone about their feet, I'm gonna lose my shit.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-22-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
thank you amazon (assuming this is real)!!!!

all the yay!!!!!
Old 05-22-2018, 01:51 PM

I watched the most recent ep and there was no censoring with many 'fucks'. Personally I love it, always found the stupid morality rules screwed up dialog on broadcast and basic cable TV.

This was on the Canadian 'Space' channel. So are there 2 versions of the show, one censored and one not? Or is the Sci-Fi channel version also uncensored?
Old 05-22-2018, 02:19 PM

When I watch on Amazon, it's uncensored.

By the way, I see that I forgot to publicly thank and congratulate Amazon for picking up the series: good job, guys: keep doing stuff I like with the Prime fee I pay you every year and I'll continue to pay you the Prime fee every year.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:
When I watch on Amazon, it's uncensored.

By the way, I see that I forgot to publicly thank and congratulate Amazon for picking up the series: good job, guys: keep doing stuff I like with the Prime fee I pay you every year and I'll continue to pay you the Prime fee every year.
It is important to note that the Hollywood Reporter and others have used very misleading headlines. Their own articles state in the first paragraph that Amazon is only in talks to pick the show up. Nothing is done yet. If you want to see the show continue then watching live or watching DVR recordings within 2-3 days help to keep the profile up.

Along with Dark Matter, this show has an insane rights package that makes all the sense in the world for Syfy to not continue the show. They did not create the show and do not have rebroadcast or streaming rights. Even worse, the streaming rights for the Expanse are split between the two major companies. I love the show but however that happened and whoever is responsible, well it is just dumb. Maybe that is the only way to get it to air initially but this exact problem was always going to be the outcome.

Amazon needs some flagship programming and the Expanse could be it with actual promotion. I bet the talks right now are to recapture the international streaming rights from Netflix and secure the talent. They might even look to buy the show outright from Alcon.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwede View Post
I watched the most recent ep and there was no censoring with many 'fucks'. Personally I love it, always found the stupid morality rules screwed up dialog on broadcast and basic cable TV.

This was on the Canadian 'Space' channel. So are there 2 versions of the show, one censored and one not? Or is the Sci-Fi channel version also uncensored?
I believe, but am not sure, that Sci-fi is allowing the F-bomb, now. Magicians stopped pseudo-bleeping it this year, I think.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM

Yup. Go Amazon!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Have you read the books? If not, you should, because her vs. the hybrid is even better.

And she also kicks ass.

That's what I was thinking as well in that scene.
I have read the books and I remember the part you're talking about. In that scene in ep 6 though, when she tells them to go get the kids while she "leads it away" from them, and starts running in her armor ("clank, clank, clank, clank") with her armgun raised, I remember thinking "holy shit, I would not want to deal with that!".

Last edited by FoieGrasIsEvil; 05-22-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howye View Post
It is important to note that the Hollywood Reporter and others have used very misleading headlines. Their own articles state in the first paragraph that Amazon is only in talks to pick the show up. Nothing is done yet. If you want to see the show continue then watching live or watching DVR recordings within 2-3 days help to keep the profile up.

Along with Dark Matter, this show has an insane rights package that makes all the sense in the world for Syfy to not continue the show. They did not create the show and do not have rebroadcast or streaming rights. Even worse, the streaming rights for the Expanse are split between the two major companies. I love the show but however that happened and whoever is responsible, well it is just dumb. Maybe that is the only way to get it to air initially but this exact problem was always going to be the outcome.

Amazon needs some flagship programming and the Expanse could be it with actual promotion. I bet the talks right now are to recapture the international streaming rights from Netflix and secure the talent. They might even look to buy the show outright from Alcon.
All good points, no doubt; I agree.

I also think this is "highly likely" to get done. Wishful thinking? Maybe. I'm okay with that. So is Nessie the cat, I'm sure.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:18 PM

I so want this deal to get wrapped up so I know for sure one way or the other. Even if it remains cancelled I'll console myself with the remaining episodes and the fact that I've read all the books (there's only one more book left, too!).
Old 05-22-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
... I have Netflix, not Prime...d'oh! But I will find a way to watch somehow.
So here's the market research that, multiplied by a large n, informs the decision Amazon might make: would it be enough, with the other plusses of a Prime account, to possibly tip you into signing up?

If they survey and enough say yes it's a go.

I'm betting there are enough who consider this show a must have that it will be a go.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:26 PM

Yep, the later half of this season is basically a new season The OPA is transforming into a proper nation-state with a navy, the Protomolecule as transformed into something that looks an awful lot like a stargate, & Amos has taken up botany.

Quote:
...I want to see what Chrisjen does next!...
Long live Her Excellency the Secretary-General of the United Nations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
...The body doesn't drop to the floor. They're on the float, in zero gee, and the body just hangs there, stuck to the deck by his magnetic boots. That's some good attention to detail.

The TV show hasn't been perfect with its depiction of how things would be in a space environment without some kind of artificial gravity, but they do make a serious effort at it, which places them far above just about every other SF property ever made.
I think this show is doing the best description possible of life in microgravity and artificial gravity. There's only so much you can do in live-action; especially with things like the Belters' physical appearances.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:

I think this show is doing the best description possible of life in microgravity and artificial gravity. There's only so much you can do in live-action; especially with things like the Belters' physical appearances.
I'm actually very impressed with some of their zero-g scenes. I don't see any sort of wires or obvious green screen effects. Do they actually do any of their filming in a "vomit comet"?

Of course, there are other times, when they should be in zero-g, but they have the mag boots going, and it seems the actors kinda forget...
Old 05-24-2018, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep, the later half of this season is basically a new season The OPA is transforming into a proper nation-state with a navy, the Protomolecule as transformed into something that looks an awful lot like a stargate, & Amos has taken up botany.
I thought last week was the season ender - bonus show! Yup, that did indeed look an awful lot like some kind of stargate. We was a ship going through it at low speeds, though, and that seemed okay - just don't attempt it at high speeds!
I also like the callback to Prax saying that Amos was his best friend.
Quote:
Long live Her Excellency the Secretary-General of the United Nations!
Yay! Her promotion obviously hasn't reduced her awesome profanity.

I like the mag boots to basically handwave away a lot of the zero gravity shooting. There aren't a lot of good ways to get good zero g effects - an actor in a harness always looks like an actor in a harness.

Speaking of special effects, when the speed racer hit the stargate threshold - holy shitballs! I have no idea about how biologically accurate that was, but damn! It was worth noting, also, that the ship seemed unharmed - it was just the biological entity that was splattered.

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; 05-24-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I thought last week was the season ender - bonus show!
There are two more shows left in this season (episodes 8 & 9).

Quote:
Speaking of special effects, when the speed racer hit the stargate threshold - holy shitballs! I have no idea about how biologically accurate that was, but damn! It was worth noting, also, that the ship seemed unharmed - it was just the biological entity that was splattered.

Probably not accurate but he would have been pulverized in some gruesome fashion. Why his ship isn't also wrecked I am not sure. Certainly it is stronger than a human and seems to be particularly strong as ships in this universe go (I guess for its use as an extreme racing kind of ship) but still...the forces stopping him would have pulverized the whole ship.

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 05-24-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
There are two more shows left in this season (episodes 8 & 9).
This is a 13 episode season.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/episodes
Old 05-24-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I was gonna say. Don't shortchange me a few shows goddammit!

Old 05-25-2018, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
<snip> Why his ship isn't also wrecked I am not sure. Certainly it is stronger than a human and seems to be particularly strong as ships in this universe go (I guess for its use as an extreme racing kind of ship) but still...the forces stopping him would have pulverized the whole ship.
It didn't look like his ship was damaged at all, but the whole scene was over very quickly - hopefully they will give us more information about ships attempting to pass through the Protogate.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:15 AM

They will.

(slight spoiler)
SPOILER:
It very significant to the plot of the 3rd book

That visual was fantastic though. Makes me wonder if the cost-per-episode is going to be a stumbling block for Amazon.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:34 PM

That was a killer episode. And yes, dude's ship made it through the Ring. You see it go through right after he gets splattered.

Damn, didn't Avasarala look amazing in her "before the world on TV" duds? She even had what looked like ice cube earrings. I fully expect to see her wielding more influence as the show wears on now that two of the top UN guys are gone.

I guess my biggest question is why did that girl (Julie Mao?) plant that bomb on that ship? I can't even remember who she's even fighting for.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
<snip>
That visual was fantastic though. Makes me wonder if the cost-per-episode is going to be a stumbling block for Amazon.
That was a gasp-out-loud special effect.

So, five more episodes? I was way off thinking the season was over!

Chrisjen always looks good. I love the contrast between how lovely and put-together she always looks, and her profane mouth.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:33 PM

So now I know what it looks like when a man has his skeleton and internal organs blown out of his body. Cool
Old 05-25-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I guess my biggest question is why did that girl (Julie Mao?) plant that bomb on that ship? I can't even remember who she's even fighting for.
Julie Mao took a trip to Venus with Miller, I am going to guess this is her sister.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Julie Mao took a trip to Venus with Miller, I am going to guess this is her sister.
Yes, that would be my take also. It's Clarissa Mao.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:43 AM

And Jeff Bezos just announced that Amazon is picking up The Expanse!! Show is saved y'all!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 02:25 AM

Indeed!

ETA: Link is to a Twitter account showing video of Jeff Bezos announcing that Amazon is picking up The Expanse! (Don't worry; the audio is muted.)

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-26-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:42 AM

Yaayyyy!!!
Old 05-26-2018, 11:24 AM

Thank you Jeff Bezos!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Indeed!

ETA: Link is to a Twitter account showing video of Jeff Bezos announcing that Amazon is picking up The Expanse! (Don't worry; the audio is muted.)
That was great!