Old 05-30-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Indeed!

ETA: Link is to a Twitter account showing video of Jeff Bezos announcing that Amazon is picking up The Expanse! (Don't worry; the audio is muted.)
That is such great news. On a side note - Anyone else find it odd to see "Amos" smiling and laughing?

"I'm that guy..." :-D
Old 05-30-2018, 10:09 PM

Well I certainly did not see hardly anything of what happened tonight coming!

Is family Mao all behind the set-up, "new girl" (telling they do not say her name) and blind cameraman together? To what end?

What sort of message is the ring sending out and what sort of answer is it looking for? What is "Miller" being sent to "find"?

Gawd I'm glad we're getting another season!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And Jeff Bezos just announced that Amazon is picking up The Expanse!! Show is saved y'all!
Now, that we are so happy, we do the dance of joy!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Well I certainly did not see hardly anything of what happened tonight coming!

Is family Mao all behind the set-up, "new girl" (telling they do not say her name) and blind cameraman together? To what end?

What sort of message is the ring sending out and what sort of answer is it looking for? What is "Miller" being sent to "find"?

Gawd I'm glad we're getting another season!

Through that blob of protomolocule thats currently on the Roci, the ring is using miller to tell holden how to enter the ring. At this point it seems reasonable that creepy camera man and power up girl are at least working in concert, the amount of camera footage that would have to be editted to fool Everyone would have to be very professionally done, the only thing that seems odd about the set up was that I did not see any footage of a faked missile shot or anything else the Roci could have used to take out that science ship.

Im expecting next week that Drummer is going to ask for her missile back.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:50 PM

Originally I had read the first Expanse book (and found it underwhelming) and failed at reading very deep into the second one after 2 or 3 attempts. But last week's cliffhanger spurred me to try again--I skimmed book 2 (enough to notice that the TV series has strayed quite a lot from the book in detail if not in direction), read the 3rd book (that deals with the ring) and am past halfway on the 4th book.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Through that blob of protomolocule thats currently on the Roci, the ring is using miller to tell holden how to enter the ring. At this point it seems reasonable that creepy camera man and power up girl are at least working in concert, the amount of camera footage that would have to be editted to fool Everyone would have to be very professionally done, the only thing that seems odd about the set up was that I did not see any footage of a faked missile shot or anything else the Roci could have used to take out that science ship.

Im expecting next week that Drummer is going to ask for her missile back.
Who's "power up girl"? The fellow journalist? If so, I have seen nothing that would indicate that she and the blind camera guy (who HAS sabotaged the Rocinante) are in concert together other than as fellow employees.

What question this begs to me is: WHO is the real OPA? The Behemoth is under OPA control led by Drummond (and suspicious new guy)...and then there's the spectre of Fred Johnson (but also Anderson Dawes, whom we have not seen but heard mentioned a few times recently). Who is directing Clarissa Mao to plant a bomb on a UN science ship? Furthermore, what is that ability she has to suddenly become viciously murderous? Is that protomolecule related?

I hate the fact that I have read the books but I cannot for the life of me remember what in the fuck is going on.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:17 PM

Regarding Clarissa Mao's 'powers':

I don't think this is a spoiler but just in case someone doesn't want to know:

SPOILER:
Clarissa has illegal implants that can greatly boost speed & strength for a short time. However, those implants are also slowly killing her, which is why they're illegal. It is not related to the proto-molecule.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Last week was a tough episode for them to write. Huge time jump, everyone in different spots. It felt like the end of one book and the start of a new one.

I liked this week's a lot more. I have no idea what to expect with them making contact with the ring.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Someone did say her (assumed) name: Melba.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Someone did say her (assumed) name: Melba.

Well, she's clearly toast.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
I hate the fact that I have read the books but I cannot for the life of me remember what in the fuck is going on.
Your problem here is that you've got people using book-info to spoil what is going on in the episode ("camera man and power up girl are at least working in concert") even though it hasn't been established in the show yet. The series did an in media res jump here, and hasn't explained a lot of what is going on now (e.g., who all those people on the UN ship are and why they're there), so it's tempting to fill in from book knowledge.

AND the show has diverged from the book in some ways that are playing out in recent episodes -- the OPA politics in the series is different than it was in the books. Together, the combination is making the tv series a little more confusing than it would be if you were watching without book preconceptions and just letting the tv explain it as it happens.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
Your problem here is that you've got people using book-info to spoil what is going on in the episode ("camera man and power up girl are at least working in concert") even though it hasn't been established in the show yet. ...
As someone who has not read the book it seems very clear, i.e. established, that "camera man and power up girl are at least working in concert" ... to what end and as part of what element is completely unclear (although I suspect Family Mao as the group umbrella even if I have no idea why they'd be doing what this group is doing). She arranges the ship to blow up and he arranges for the Roci group to appear to claim responsibility in the name of the OPA. Dedicated enough to the cause to take on likely suicide missions too.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:19 AM

I love the show. That being said, David Strathairn doing that accent really bugs me. Don't know what it is about it, maybe because his voice is well known, whereas everyone else doing belter is a relatively unknown?

The other thing that bugs me is I've read the first 2 or 3 books, and have them jumbled up with some other series. In the books was there a big thing on Luna? Some family (Mao) drama and a bad side of the moon?
Old 06-01-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
Your problem here is that you've got people using book-info to spoil what is going on in the episode ("camera man and power up girl are at least working in concert") even though it hasn't been established in the show yet.

The post said "At this point it seems reasonable that creepy camera man and power up girl are at least working in concert." That is speculation. Your deletion changes the meaning of the post.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM

Yeah, it was obvious to this non-book reader that they were working in concert. I had no idea who she was and that she was a Mao, though.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Yeah, it was obvious to this non-book reader that they were working in concert. I had no idea who she was and that she was a Mao, though.
Ditto. The post here that revealed it was really unnecessary and a bummer, IMO.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-01-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
I love the show. That being said, David Strathairn doing that accent really bugs me. Don't know what it is about it, maybe because his voice is well known, whereas everyone else doing belter is a relatively unknown?<snip>
All the Belter accents bug me (I imagine they are supposed to). It's like, the whole time they're talking, I'm trying to figure out what that accent is, and it's not supposed to be any Earth accent - it's *supposed* to be a new thing.

So, the proto-molecule is trying to communicate with someone, anyone, eh? Interesting. It's not just a malevolent, kill everything it comes in contact with organism.

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; 06-04-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:50 PM

I loved how Holden demanding to know what "Miller" knows resulted incomprehensible technobabble. Only 3 more episodes left; it feels like the season is ending too soon, but at least we know there'll be a season 4.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
I loved how Holden demanding to know what "Miller" knows resulted incomprehensible technobabble.
And Holden's response was just as hilarious (though I can't remember exactly what it was). While this episode did not have the adrenaline rush of the previous episode, there were many times I found myself chuckling at the dialogue (often Amos related).
Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Only 3 more episodes left; it feels like the season is ending too soon, but at least we know there'll be a season 4.
This season has 13 episodes, so there are four more episodes to come.

Last edited by Shakester; 06-07-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Catching up again. I finished watching "It Reaches Out" a moment ago and I just got to say again - GOD DAMN I LOVE THIS SHOW! I've read all the books so knew the story line but I was still edge of my seat through this one. One more episode until I'm caught up.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Who's "power up girl"? The fellow journalist? If so, I have seen nothing that would indicate that she and the blind camera guy (who HAS sabotaged the Rocinante) are in concert together other than as fellow employees.

What question this begs to me is: WHO is the real OPA? The Behemoth is under OPA control led by Drummond (and suspicious new guy)...and then there's the spectre of Fred Johnson (but also Anderson Dawes, whom we have not seen but heard mentioned a few times recently). Who is directing Clarissa Mao to plant a bomb on a UN science ship? Furthermore, what is that ability she has to suddenly become viciously murderous? Is that protomolecule related?

Power up girl is Clarissa/Melba, she seems like she pops a pill before going into action. She planted the bomb, and creepy camera dude was the one that set up the Roci changing out what ever those eproms were.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:28 PM

It was nice to see Julie back , even if it was flashback. As well, it was nice to see her not painted blue and that fashions in that era tend to be more normal. Trying to guess what someone might wear in the future must be one of the hardest things.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:44 AM

Did we see the reporter and camera guy actually get to the MCRN ship? Seemed awfully trusting of Amos to just send them over trusting they'd do the right thing.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
...and that fashions in that era tend to be more normal.

"Normal" is an utterly subjective view. What you mean is that they dress like late 20th-early 21st century Westerners.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:51 AM

So cameraman Cohen and journalist woman Monica seem to have been just paid off stooges and the motivation is nothing more than revenge on Holden by a woman with very serious Daddy issues? I had been hoping for something more.

Naomi can't catch up to them before the Mars ship does (they all have the same speed limit, although does she know what it is?)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
So cameraman Cohen and journalist woman Monica seem to have been just paid off stooges and the motivation is nothing more than revenge on Holden by a woman with very serious Daddy issues? I had been hoping for something more.
Monica is, as far as we know, innocent; it was the camera guy who did it all.
Quote:
Naomi can't catch up to them before the Mars ship does (they all have the same speed limit, although does she know what it is?)
I went under the assumption that Earth shared that data with all ships since the Behemoth seemed to know what the speed limit is.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-08-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, she knows. It was broadcast by the probe that came back out of the ring and as Naomi was leaving there was a joke comment made of (paraphrasing) "Don't go too fast..."
Old 06-08-2018, 07:50 PM

I didn't remember the exact maximum speed being broadcast. That going in slow was the key was clear by the Roci's entrance, that much was now common knowledge, hence the joke.

But assume she knows the exact max speed. Then she indeed knows that she can't catch up to them inside the ring, and certainly not before the Mars ship can. And she surely appreciates as Holden does that once that happens minimally the Roci is no back home for them. Now we as viewers know something else is going happen, even if we don't know what, but there is no reason for Naomi to think other than that.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:00 AM

So (spoilers for books, speculation for series ahead)
SPOILER:
There is only the one gate visible in the Slow Zone. Do you think that they are going to wait for the station to be shut down and have the other 1300-ish suddenly appear to be more dramatic?
Old 06-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I think it's consistent with the rest of the series though. The Expanse is all about how the actions of a few people (well intentioned or not) affect the course of history.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
I didn't remember the exact maximum speed being broadcast. That going in slow was the key was clear by the Roci's entrance, that much was now common knowledge, hence the joke.

But assume she knows the exact max speed. Then she indeed knows that she can't catch up to them inside the ring, and certainly not before the Mars ship can. And she surely appreciates as Holden does that once that happens minimally the Roci is no back home for them. Now we as viewers know something else is going happen, even if we don't know what, but there is no reason for Naomi to think other than that.
18,000 km/hr, if I'm not mistaken.

ETA: Could have been per minute

Last edited by FoieGrasIsEvil; 06-10-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Hour. Per minute wouldn't be much of a speed restriction--it would be like roads on Earth having a speed limit of 500 MPH.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:21 AM

The arbitrary number picked is somewhat besides the point. Unless it has some significance later for some reason. The point is that I hadn't remembered it being broadcast that all could hear. I knew the Roci crew heard it but I was not sure the Behemoth crew (inclusive of Naomi) was able to.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

I was thinking of the discussion Naomi had with the scarred face guy, about how you can't go back once you've outgrown something, and how he meant the Roci, and it actually was the OPA. That's why this show needs to be renewed until it dies a natural death - it's just so frigging *good!*
Old 06-14-2018, 07:31 PM

Anyone watch last night? Good episode!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 PM

Yeah, it was fantastic. I can't wait to see were some of the other Rings lead.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2018, 10:38 PM

I'm beginning to think I should stop watching until the season ends ... waiting a whole week for a next episode is HARD! Damn I love this show.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:13 AM

Wow, that was some 2001-level stuff.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 AM

Note to self: do not mess with aliens who can manipulate gravity.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:17 PM

I watched this late last night (like 2am) after I got home from seeing Buckethead and thought it was fucking fantastic. That everyone would immediately glom onto the 2001-ness was obvious but the sequence was beautifully done and hopefully is more nuanced than "Holden is now Dr. Manhattan".

I continue to hate Melba/Clarissa.

I liked the little side plot about doubt and fear; stuff like this adds to the "world"-sense and enriches the story/setting immensely. It's a nice way to briefly explore social and just plain human issues and the show does it deftly.

Amos kicks ass. Love this character. He's so obviously deep it's ridiculous, but the veneer is so strong we rarely get to see beneath. Excellently written and acted.

I think I've waited until Season 3 to say this, but I gotta say it: I think "protomolecule" is a stupid fucking name and I wish the authors had chosen a different word, even if they still want it to seem semi-scientific. "Protomolecule" is almost as stupid as "unobtanium".

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-15-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:40 PM

And Miller is back! (Yes, he's been back a few episodes but you know... he is getting more coherent and like the "old" Miller)

It's interesting because when I read the first book, the Miller character was the least interesting to me. I kept wanting to get through the Miller parts and get back to the spaceships, proto-molecule, Rocinante goodness! But for the show, Miller is my favorite character behind Amos. So happy to have him back into the storyline as the investigator. ;-)

MeanJoe
Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 PM

Is the "views within 3 days of airing" thing still important for ratings now that Amazon has picked it up for S4? I really prefer to binge the whole thing in a few sittings rather than watch it the old school 20th century way of 1x per week, but if my watching weekly is what keeps it in production, I'll continue to do my part.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 PM

Personally I bought the whole season 3 from Amazon as a gesture of appreciation for picking up the show. I don't know if they care when exactly I watch those episodes.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:20 PM

Aye; I bought it on Amazon before S3 started airing, but I read somewhere that when they did ratings, they looked at views on the night it aired and then streaming views for the 3 days immediately following. Because of that, I've been really sure to watch on Amazon Thursday or Friday to help boost the rating (and now so Amazon can see they invested wisely).

But if that doesn't matter anymore because it''s picked up and won't air on SyFY anymore, I might wait another few weeks and watch the last 3 episodes all at once.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-15-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 AM

Anyone know what Amos' forearm tattoo says?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 AM

This has become my absolute favorite show on TV. Every episode this season has been amazing, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of slowing down. I'm a fan of the books since they first came out, and I think I like the show even more than the books.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:21 PM

It's on, fools! Better be watching!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:41 PM

I was wondering why the Nauvoo/Behemoth appeared to be both designed to have gravity by acceleration like all the other ships and have a section for spin gravity. Even "unfurnished" that habitat drum is a literal life saver. I liked the way they showed how seemingly "minor" injuries can be so much more deadly in microgravity. Season finale next week; Chrisjen better have a big role.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:10 AM

For the second time on this page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
This season has 13 episodes.
There are two more episodes to come.

Episode titles...

SPOILER:

3/12 Congregation
3/13 Abaddon's Gate

Last edited by Shakester; 06-21-2018 at 05:15 AM.