Old 01-15-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Say what? The devil was in Battlestar Ponderosa?
YYYYuuup. Played by Patrick Macnee. Not sure what it says that Imperious Leader/ Satan is doing the opening narration.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
YYYYuuup. Played by Patrick Macnee. Not sure what it says that Imperious Leader/ Satan is doing the opening narration.
He was called Count Iblis, but explicitly identified as Satan.

The freakiest thing was that Patrick MacNee was also the voice of the narrator in the opening credits. It suggested something profound to me when I was 10 years old.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
There was a Next Generation episode that had aliens placing DNA that would eventually become people on various star systems to explain how the various species were related.
Story by . . . Ronald D. Moore.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 PM

Y'all got me breaking out my BSG Blurays. I've never been able to get past the first Richard Hatch ep on a rewatch.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oops.
Er, are you still here?
Yeah, but I'm skimming answers because of spoilers being put in without hiding them. I'll probably have to stop reading until after season 2 is done.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, sorry about that. They just sort of crept in.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Yeah, but I'm skimming answers because of spoilers being put in without hiding them. I'll probably have to stop reading until after season 2 is done.
Yikes. Sorry, man.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Just note this place in the thread and we'll (myself included) stop.

Now how do you hide spoilers? bracket SP Bracket /SP?

Last edited by Dale Sams; 01-15-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Just note this place in the thread and we'll (myself included) stop.

Now how do you hide spoilers? bracket SP Bracket /SP?
[ spoiler ] ...... [/ spoiler ]
Old 01-15-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
[ spoiler ] ...... [/ spoiler ]
Thanks.

SPOILER:
I want to point out that the theme of the show is: "Is humanity worthy of survival?" And for the vast majority of the show the answer is a resounding NO. The most valuable resource in the fleet is human life, and over and over and over we see that resource is treated like shit. You would think that what is left would develop some sort of Esprit De Corps. But noooooope.

So if the theme is ...is humanity worthy of survival...that means there has to be some sort of judge.

Some other notes, we can talk about Season one since he's seen it...

So I got past Bastille Day, the first Zarek episode. Boy is that a mess. But man do I love the characters and the actors. Cally...Chief....love me some Katee Sackhoff. And even in a mixed up show like Bastille Day, man the actors really bring it and have massively thought about and developed their characters.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

The final episode fellates with great allacrity, Chefguy.
It sucks.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The final episode fellates with great allacrity, Chefguy.
It sucks.
Well, a lot of series have had the same problem, so I expect season finales to just be lame so as not to be disappointed. Assuming I make it that far.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 AM

Overall, I really enjoyed the series. It wasn't totally consistent and I was not thrilled with the ending. But it was very worth watching. I'm also one of the few people who loved the spin-off series, Caprica, and was not happy with its cancellation. Whereas, the first series was space opera, the second was a prequel about the origins of the Cylons, and the two families that were intrinsically involved in everything that lead up to BG. I think that people went into it wanting it to be the same as the first series, and when it wasn't they didn't even bother giving it a fair chance.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Just finished season four and thought that, overall, this was a fun series to watch. The writing was solid (for the most part), and the CGI was done pretty well. Some of season four was just boring, and I even skipped through some of the soul-searching blather. The plot lines got a bit shaky, but hell, it's SF. I thought Adama and Roslin had zero on-screen chemistry, so their relationship didn't work for me. And I was fine with the finale. So there.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:46 PM

I just finished watching it and I have questions.

SPOILER:

1) So, Kara DID die and what we saw after she came back from Earth was an angel?
2) Gaius died in initial attack and was an angel the entire time? I wish he'd been fired out an airlock from the get-go.
3) Tigh and Caprica Six just sort of melted apart after the miscarriage?
4) We're all descended from Cylons?
5) I'm assuming Duella killed herself because she wanted to die happy? That came out of left field.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:39 PM

I'm late to the party as well. I was busy and didn't have cable when this series was new. I'm about midway through season 2 and binged about 6 episodes this weekend. Each was a pretty big cliffhanger so I kept going.

I really like the show overall, it's not what I expected, in mostly good ways. I guess the main thing that bothers me is inconsistency, the operation of Galactica overall seems pretty inconsistent. As soon as I knew of a Cylon threat I think I would institute much tighter security and maybe a buddy system, nobody goes anywhere alone. Easier said than done I know, but they wouldn't have lost their fuel and got an officer shot (so far) if they had done more in terms of security.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

And for what it's worth, I thought the Adama/Roslin romance was done very well (better than any of the other romances or lust-fueled hookups on the show).
Old 07-15-2019, 04:42 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
I just finished watching it and I have questions.
I'll do my best:

SPOILER:

1) Basically, yes.
2) Not my understanding. Meatspace!Baltar was real, there just happened to also be a Head!Baltar for Six, just as there was a Head!Six for Meatspace!Baltar. Turns out in the end, Head!Baltar and Head!Six were angels, though.
3) Basically, yes.
4) Strongly implied, yes, by the transposition of the Cylon-human baby with mitochondrial Eve. But remember, she wasn't pure Cylon. And she couldn't just spontaneously reproduce. So she either bred with a human from the Colonies or a local human.
5) That's certainly how it comes across. It's pretty a common belief in pop psychology that a suicidal person will become much less outwardly depressed once they've decided not only that they want to die but how they're going to accomplish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And for what it's worth, I thought the Adama/Roslin romance was done very well (better than any of the other romances or lust-fueled hookups on the show).
Concur.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 07-15-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:38 PM

ivylass

To expand on KneadToKnow's response...

SPOILER:

The nature of Kara, Imaginary Friend Six and Imaginary Friend Baltar is IMHO one of the most polarizing aspects of the show. You have this story about a race of AI / artificial humans in conflict with their human creators. And you have this whole backstory of the nature of the human colonies and their origin. But then they shoe-horn in this whole religious aspect that never quite works IMHO. It's part "deus ex machina" (not to be confused with the awesome movie about AI "Ex Machina" and part "Cylons all the way down".

Like I can see if there was some higher beings like the "Lords of Kobol" or whatever who maybe created humans like the humans created Cylons or whatever. And maybe having their true nature being incomprehensible and God-like. But they decided to go actual relgiousity for some reason.

Also I think Duella just had enough and decided to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray
He was called Count Iblis, but explicitly identified as Satan.
From Googling: Iblis in the Qur'an is the fallen jinn identified as Satan in the Christian Bible.

I wouldn't have know that when I was six years old, but seems pretty obvious in retrospect.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:11 AM

I liked it at the start but it quickly turned into a "lets make a story line that reflects current events" fare.

I did like that during space scenes there was very little sound
Also, Cylons using missiles instead of concentrated light energy was kinda cool.
Using EMP was cool.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Another thing that they did very well was the limited supplies. When they fire off a nuke against a Cylon ship, it's a big deal, because they don't have very many of those, and when they're gone, they're gone. Compare to Star Trek: Voyager, where they told us explicitly how many irreplaceable photon torpedoes they had, then fire off three times that many over the course of the show.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:58 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shstrang98 View Post
I liked it at the start but it quickly turned into a "lets make a story line that reflects current events" fare.
It seems to me that it started as a story about religious fundamentalists attacking a technologically advanced multicultural civilization.