Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Honest question though; do you think "She Loves You" would work today as a hit? It sounds very old, outdated if you will. It was revolutionary in 1963, but that was 56 damn years ago.

The Beatles of 1963-1964 are dramatically different from the later Beatles. Their music became indescribably refined and timeless; "Yesterday" would work in any year. I don't know that all their earlier stuff would, though.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:45 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
It would be so funny seeing a unknown artist bring a song like She Loves You and have it rejected by the music publishers.

They'd have a dozen suggestions to "fix" the song. ....
Roger Ebert wrote about a prankster who, in the late Seventies, submitted the script for Casablanca to a dozen studios, with all the names changed. Most rejected it out of hand; only a few recognized it.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:35 AM

The Casablanca prankster was Chuck Ross. He sent it to 217 agents (not studios). 90 returned it unread for various reasons, 33 recognized it, 8 thought it was similar to Casablanca but didn't recognize that it actually _was_ Casablanca, 38 rejected it with a variety of amusing comments ("too much dialog", "weak story", etc), and 3 actually got interested in representing it.
http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/casablanca_rejected

The same guy did a similar hoax by typing up part of Jerzy Kosinski's award winning novel Steps and sending it to four book publishers. All of them rejected it, including the publisher of Steps itself. Then he tried again, this time typing up the whole novel and submitting it to 14 publishers. They again all rejected it, one commenting that the style was good ("Jerzy Kosinski comes to mind"!!!) but the book as a whole was a failure.
http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/...ps_experiment/
Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
It would be so funny seeing a unknown artist bring a song like She Loves You and have it rejected by the music publishers.

They'd have a dozen suggestions to "fix" the song.

Completely clueless that She Loves You would launch a bands career to super stardom.
To be fair any of their early songs would have similarly launched their career, which in the early years was more based on look and other things moreso than song quality- none of their very early work holds up like the better late period stuff- Something and Yesterday would be hits if released today, I Wanna Hold Your Hand and She Loves You, probably too slight and twee to hit in 1969, let alone 2019.

eta: post #51 pretty much says the same thing- sorry (hits head)

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 06-19-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:22 PM

Call me crazy but I thing She Loves You is so great it would be a hit no matter when it was made.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
The Casablanca prankster was Chuck Ross. He sent it to 217 agents (not studios). 90 returned it unread for various reasons, 33 recognized it, 8 thought it was similar to Casablanca but didn't recognize that it actually _was_ Casablanca, 38 rejected it with a variety of amusing comments ("too much dialog", "weak story", etc), and 3 actually got interested in representing it.
http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/casablanca_rejected
[/url]
I'm a little dubious about the results of this study - I'd say "at least 33 recognized it" while 41 rejected it without acknowledging that it was Casablanca (if I got an obviously plagiarized work in the mail, I'd prefer not to get into a discussion with the (perhaps dangerous) guy who mailed it - a mild rejection without an accusation would seem more prudent), while only 3 give convincing evidence that they actually didn't recognize it.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I've already bought a ticket for opening weekend. I am curious to see how the story handles songs like Penny Lane, where the lyrics reference people and places in Liverpool. (The trailer/commercial for the movie has a funny bit in which Ed Sheeran advises the lead character to change "Hey Jude" to "Hey Dude".)
Old 06-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

So, Pete Best is even less famous in this movie than in real life?
Old 06-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I've already bought a ticket for opening weekend.
Was it a ticket to ride?

(d&r)
Old 06-22-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjs1fs View Post
Call me crazy but I thing She Loves You is so great it would be a hit no matter when it was made.
I agree. It's a perfect little pop masterpiece.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Lots and lots of songs are by any objective measure just as as as "She Loves You," like HUNDREDS of songs. Thousands. Today the odds of one getting you noticed are a million to one. There's nothing special about it.

In the time and place it was made, it was the right song at the right time. So much of this stuff is timing. OutKast's "Hey Ya!" - released in 2003 - is a masterpiece and was a huge hit, but in 1963 no one would have comprehended it, and if they'd delayed releasing it until 2053 people would likely find it sounded old and boring.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
The Casablanca prankster was Chuck Ross. He sent it to 217 agents (not studios)....
Ah, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Lots and lots of songs are by any objective measure just as as as....
What if no one ever heard of Was (Not Was)?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The Beatles of 1963-1964 are dramatically different from the later Beatles. Their music became indescribably refined and timeless; "Yesterday" would work in any year. I don't know that all their earlier stuff would, though.

It's a fair question as to whether their songs would be huge smash hits today. But I do think even some of the very early ones would make for a successful indie singer-songwriter career along the lines of Family of the Year, Jose Gonzalez, or Peter Bradley Adams. Take, for example, one of my very favorite Beatles tunes, which Paul actually wrote in the 1950s, "I'll Follow the Sun". It would need to be extended a bit (1:48 was on the short side even then), but otherwise I would say it is timeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
I'd say it's because the focus of the movie is not on an alternate history. These movies aren't supposed to be like The Man in the High Castle.

The Invention of Lying isn't about how a world where people don't lie would develop. It's about the character arc of an individual who finds himself surrounded by magically credulous people.

Similarly, Yesterday isn't about what music or culture would look like without one of the most influential bands in the world existing. It's about how an individual deals with the massive unearned fame and success that comes from having magical access to that band's songs.

I'm looking forward to it.

Precisely. I'm willing to suspend disbelief as I might not in other time travel or alt-universe scenarios, because I think it would be less fun if they altered everything "butterfly effect" style. I am unreasonably excited for this movie, planning to see it opening weekend or soon thereafter, which I normally only do for a very limited number of "event" or "cinematic spectacle" type films (maybe two or three times a year, seeing everything else at home).
Old 06-26-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
It's a fair question as to whether their songs would be huge smash hits today. But I do think even some of the very early ones would make for a successful indie singer-songwriter career along the lines of Family of the Year, Jose Gonzalez, or Peter Bradley Adams. Take, for example, one of my very favorite Beatles tunes, which Paul actually wrote in the 1950s, "I'll Follow the Sun". It would need to be extended a bit (1:48 was on the short side even then), but otherwise I would say it is timeless.
Yeah, I can see that.

iamthewalrus makes a good point about what the movie is ABOUT. That's the difficulty with fantasy and sci-fi; the needs of what the story is really, truly about often require that you shrug your shoulders about the technicalities. A world in which The Beatles didn't exist would be different from this world in a thousand ways, but to explore that in painstaking detail just isn't what the movie is about.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:30 PM

I was thinking about what I'd do in this situation and it occurred to me that I don't actually know any Beatles songs in their entirety, just snippets and such, and I have no familiarity at all with likely the majority of their catalog. I could hum or sing a few passages here and there and if I wanted to profit from my unique knowledge, the best I could do is take it to someone with some actual musical talent and hope for a partial composer's credit, if they didn't just steal the idea entirely or flatly dismiss my half-remembered fragments.

I'd know that there was a potential goldmine of musical compositions, but I'd be unable to recreate it in any useful way. It'd be a Twilight Zone situation to be sure, and not a funny episode but one of those harsh "ironic punishment" ones.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:00 PM

Well, you wouldn't just sit down and write them out. You'd remember them one piece at a time and it wouldn't cost you a dime. Wait, that's Johnny Cash.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I was thinking about what I'd do in this situation and it occurred to me that I don't actually know any Beatles songs in their entirety, just snippets and such, and I have no familiarity at all with likely the majority of their catalog. I could hum or sing a few passages here and there and if I wanted to profit from my unique knowledge, the best I could do is take it to someone with some actual musical talent and hope for a partial composer's credit, if they didn't just steal the idea entirely or flatly dismiss my half-remembered fragments.
Same here, and I'm a fan. But while I like the Beatles a lot, they are not and have never been my #1 favorite band. If the Beatles are the main character's #1 favorite band, and he's a musician -- preferably a bass player -- I could buy into it fairly easily.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:37 AM

In that Otherworld episode, despite not displaying or mentioning musical talent in previous or subsequent episodes, the two teenagers not only accurately "wrote" the music and lyrics to songs from various genres but also played the instruments.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:41 AM

Seeing the descriptions of this movie (e.g. modern-day kids go crazy for Baby Boomer music) reminds me a bit of Stephen King's "11/22/63", where a guy who's born in the '70s is nostalgic for the Kennedy presidency and '50s malt shops. Wait...what? I mean, there are probably a few people in the world that fit that description, but that would be pretty unusual.

Last edited by hogarth; 06-27-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Seeing the descriptions of this movie (e.g. modern-day kids go crazy for Baby Boomer music) reminds me a bit of Stephen King's "11/22/63", where a guy who's born in the '70s is nostalgic for the Kennedy presidency and '50s malt shops. Wait...what? I mean, there are probably a few people in the world that fit that description, but that would be pretty unusual.
I read "11/22/63" and don't recall the main character being nostalgic for the 50's and 60's - he was friends with an older guy who had lived through that era and really cared about it, but the main character didn't even know much about the Kennedy era (until he wound up there). Once there, he enjoyed some parts of the past, and hated others (which seems pretty realistic).
Old 06-27-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
One of the biggest pushes of current far-right parties in Europe is nostalgia for an era which never existed, by people who were born decades after that fabulous time was over. During the last electoral campaign, Spain's far-right populist party Vox appropriated a 1985 punk-pop song which made fun of people nostalgic for Spain's Golden Century... (Los Nikis, El Imperio Contraataca - "The Empire Strikes Back").

Last edited by Nava; 06-27-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I read "11/22/63" and don't recall the main character being nostalgic for the 50's and 60's - he was friends with an older guy who had lived through that era and really cared about it, but the main character didn't even know much about the Kennedy era (until he wound up there). Once there, he enjoyed some parts of the past, and hated others (which seems pretty realistic).
Agreed. He liked milkshakes made with real milk, for instance, but was appalled by segregation. He liked the friendliness of small-town 1963 Texas life but pushed back against its judgmentalism and small-mindedness.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:25 AM

Is Brian Epstein going to be portrayed in the movie? His management and marketing of the Beatles lead to the Ed Sullivan show and much of their early success.

George Martin the "Fifth Beatle" produced & arranged the Beatles from the beginning. His influence on their sound is striking.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Martin

I hope both men are portrayed in the movie. It would make it much more believable that someone else could be the face of this music.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-27-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:44 AM
SDSAB

Both Epstein and Martin would be dead by the (apparently) present-day setting of the movie.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Suspended

Right. The scene in the trailer that hooked me is when he is playing a Beatles song on acoustic guitar for his friends, and they are like "OMG, that song is so good!" He responds "well, sure: it's one of the greatest songs ever written" and she is like "well, let's not get carried away: it's no 'Fix You'".
Old 06-27-2019, 09:08 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Both Epstein and Martin would be dead by the (apparently) present-day setting of the movie.
Agreed -- everything I've been seeing about the film indicates that it's set in the present day, and that the main character of the film suddenly discovers that he's the only person on the planet who remembers the Beatles.

So, given that, there really wouldn't be a role for Martin or Epstein in the film. Even if either of them were still alive in the present day, the film's presence suggests that neither man would remember having ever known the Beatles.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
...the film's presence suggests that neither man would remember having ever known the Beatles.
"Premise," not "presence."
Old 06-27-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Same here, and I'm a fan. But while I like the Beatles a lot, they are not and have never been my #1 favorite band. If the Beatles are the main character's #1 favorite band, and he's a musician -- preferably a bass player -- I could buy into it fairly easily.
From what I've seen, the character is a fan but the Beatles probably aren't his all-time favorite band. One of the plot points noted in the reviews:

SPOILER:
He tries to "write" "Eleanor Rigby" but realizes he doesn't remember all the words.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
From what I've seen, the character is a fan but the Beatles probably aren't his all-time favorite band. One of the plot points noted in the reviews:

SPOILER:
He tries to "write" "Eleanor Rigby" but realizes he doesn't remember all the words.
SPOILER:
“Number Eight? Number Eight? Number Eight? No, that’s not it...”
Old 06-27-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
I Wanna Hold Your Hand and She Loves You, probably too slight and twee to hit in 1969, let alone 2019.
Let's write us a kiddie pool!
Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Agreed. He liked milkshakes made with real milk, for instance, but was appalled by segregation. He liked the friendliness of small-town 1963 Texas life but pushed back against its judgmentalism and small-mindedness.
Glad someone else remembered it the way I did.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:25 AM
SDSAB

Here's the NYT's mildly-positive review (with a few Beatles gags sprinkled throughout): https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/26/m...section=Movies
Old 06-28-2019, 02:18 PM

Here is an interesting review quote:

Quote:
It will appall anyone who has ever loved a Beatles song. How brain-dead do you have to be to enjoy Yesterday? It requires a willed ignorance about how culture works and — even harder to fathom — a careless disregard for The Beatles and contempt for every aspect of history they represented.

(Of course, it does come from a notorious troll.)
Old 06-29-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post

SPOILER:
I saw it today and liked it quite a bit. I enjoyed the bit in your spoiler box (and there were multiple similar scenes).
Old 06-29-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Duplicate

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 06-29-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:19 PM

Mom and I saw it today for her birthday and we loved it. Full disclosure: We're both massive Beatles fans.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:54 PM

Really liked this movie but one question (and this will only make sense to those who have seen it): was I the only who thought for sure he was going to sing “Drive My Car” at the end?
when it's really the Voice of God?
Old 06-29-2019, 07:55 PM

Sorry - double post

Last edited by Stephe96; 06-29-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 06-30-2019, 09:10 AM

saw it last night, quite a light/fun romantic comedy...

SPOILER:
but I thought the "boy meets girl... boy gets girl" formula was a bit weak. I knew the "hook"/plot centered on a world without the Beatles, and wondered what the story would be ... overall, it was funny but somewhat predictable... your lies will catch up with you?

best (paraphrased) line, from the two people who also remembered the Beatles "the world is hard enough, having the Beatles music makes it a better place.

also, good to see Ed Sheeran having a sense of humor (Hey Dude)
Old 06-30-2019, 10:59 AM

Just got back from seeing it. I am a major Beatles fan (surprised?) and I was very entertained.

It's not perfect - I could point out several choices that rubbed me the wrong way - but I also got goose pimply during some scenes.

And the (unspoiled by me) cottage scene near the end was perfectly presented (even though it will be quite divisive among viewers).

BTW, I just read that Paul has not seen it yet but enjoyed the trailer.

mmm
Old 06-30-2019, 11:42 AM

I’ve read the (mostly) negative reviews and kinda, sorta see why they might have problems with this movie, but I think audiences will love it. The ending was met with applause in my theater.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:49 AM

I’m hitting send once but somehow double posting.

Last edited by Stephe96; 06-30-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:01 PM

It would’ve been cool if Pete Best had become a big star in the “Yesterday” universe (or maybe that would’ve been too cruel)
Old 06-30-2019, 06:08 PM

Inexplicable double post (I’ll stop now)

Last edited by Stephe96; 06-30-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:35 PM

A world without:
SPOILER:
The Beatles, Coca-Cola, Harry Potter

UGH!

Without:
SPOILER:
Oasis

eh.

Without:
SPOILER:
CIGARETTES

YES!!!!!
Old 07-02-2019, 09:21 AM

Haven't seen the movie yet. I want to go this weekend.

They packed 18 Beatles covers into this movie? Wow, that's a lot of royalties to Paul & and the lads.

I hope they do release the soundtrack.

List of songs. I see they skipped All My Loving. That's the song the Beatles played on **Ed Sullivan. John's part on All My Loving is the hardest rhythm part he ever attempted. Triplets at 150bpm. I'm not surprised they didn't expect Himesh Patel to play it. I've played it and was literally breathless afterwards.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pop...KAE%253D#ampf=

**On their first appearance on The Ed SullivanShow, the Beatles played five songs in two sets. The first set included "All My Loving," "Till There Was You," and "She Loves You." Later in the second half of the show, theBeatles played "I Saw Her Standing There" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand."

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-02-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:35 AM

That Amp link didn't work.

Here's a better one. Just a list of the songs used in the movie. No movie spoilers.
https://www.popsugar.com/entertainme...track-46309888

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-02-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:05 AM

The movie benefits from a very generous deal to use songs from The Beatles' catalog.

I'm breaking this link because there are plot spoilers.
https ://screenrant.com/yesterday-beatles-songs-movie-soundtrack/

Quote:
Securing the rights to use The Beatles' music in Yesterday was no easy task, however, as licensing the band's songs is difficult and often very costly. As a courtesy, Curtis sent his script to Sony/ATV along with their request to license The Beatles' songs, and the publisher liked the concept so much, they agreed to a most unusual deal: Yesterday could, for a fee, include any 15 songs from The Beatles' catalog (written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney). As Boyle explained in an interview with Rolling Stone, "There was a stipulation about how many times each one was used, but they built the deal with the freedom that we could change songs if we wanted."

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-02-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Why are you reading articles like that one when you haven't seen the movie yet? Don't do that.

As for why Sony/ATV licensed the music, I think they expected an increase in sales. Beatles songs are probably unfamiliar to millions of younger people.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:33 AM

Spoilers usually don't bother me. They help me decide if it's worth my trouble to schedule time to visit a theater and buy a ticket.

I understand others feel differently and I was careful to break that last link.

I agree, this movie will reintroduce a whole generation to the Beatles. It should dramatically increase sales of their old albums.

I worked with a lady named Michelle in 2002. She was about thirty at the time. I asked her if she was familiar with the song. She said not really. Some people said "my bell" and she didn't understand the significance.

I was stunned.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-02-2019 at 10:38 AM.