Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
We are keeping the name of the mass murderer private as we don't wish to glorify this murderous piece of human waste.
And they turn to the channel that doesn't do this, the one that says "We don't protect the names of murderers like that other station, because you have the right to know!"
Old 06-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
And they turn to the channel that doesn't do this, the one that says "We don't protect the names of murderers like that other station, because you have the right to know!"
And they turn to the channel that doesn't do this, the one that says "We don't protect the names of rape victims like that other station, because you have the right to know!"
Old 06-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
And they turn to the channel that doesn't do this, the one that says "We don't protect the names of rape victims like that other station, because you have the right to know!"
Already covered, remember? you can get sympathy(and ratings) for protecting victims-not so much for protecting mass murderers.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Already covered, remember? you can get sympathy(and ratings) for protecting victims-not so much for protecting mass murderers.
You're not protecting mass murderers. You are protecting the American public from more such tragedies.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
You're not protecting mass murderers. You are protecting the American public from more such tragedies.
The news director that takes this tack will be fired when viewers go elsewhere, and her replacement will rescind the order, so sayeth the stockholders.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The news director that takes this tack will be fired when viewers go elsewhere, and her replacement will rescind the order, so sayeth the stockholders.
Yeah, because of course when you dont hear the actual name of a mass shooter, you wont watch that channel anymore, right?
Old 06-19-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
You're making some pretty big assumptions about the behaviors of a lot of people. Just sayin'.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ever hear the phrases "The Firstest with the Mostest" and "If it bleeds, it leads"? News departments are expected to bring in the bucks nowadays, and the stockholders want the news department to make money, so news departments do what it takes to draw the viewers in.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ever hear the phrases "The Firstest with the Mostest" and "If it bleeds, it leads"? News departments are expected to bring in the bucks nowadays, and the stockholders want the news department to make money, so news departments do what it takes to draw the viewers in.
Like the names of rape victims?

So, answer my question, if your preferred news venue wont name the mass killer, will you switch to another?

I wouldnt care.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If anyone can think of a way to implement a "no-name" policy that will convince The Media Powers That Be they that won't take a soaking when it comes to viewers, that their non-participating competitors won't profit from such a move, I would love to hear it.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Like the names of rape victims?

So, answer my question, if your preferred news venue wont name the mass killer, will you switch to another?

I wouldnt care.
I wouldn't either...but I am not the targeted audience, so they wouldn't give a shit about what I watch or don't watch. You could take a poll on this board, and even if 75% of those polled here were in favor of restricting the information, and you presented this poll to any of the networks, there isn't a network out there that would even look at it, let alone pay attention to it. Intense studies are made to find out what brings in viewers, and if there were any studies out there that showed that implementing such a policy would aid the bottom line, they would seriously consider it.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 06-19-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Do you believe the Werther effect is real and has analogues to mass shootings? The way information is reported can have an impact on the behaviors of those consuming the message. It's not a panacea for sure, but changing the way that these events are reported has a real chance of reducing their occurrence.
I'm up for anything that would lead to reduction in mass shootings. Not reporting on mass shootings when they happen is not a viable option though. I don't know what else has to be tweaked in reporting style but, as I've yet to see any reporter comment positively on the mass shooters, I think this matter of how reports are made is of little consequence. Sometimes people see what they want to see --a hero or a villain.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
I'm up for anything that would lead to reduction in mass shootings. Not reporting on mass shootings when they happen is not a viable option though. I don't know what else has to be tweaked in reporting style but, as I've yet to see any reporter comment positively on the mass shooters, I think this matter of how reports are made is of little consequence. Sometimes people see what they want to see --a hero or a villain.
You dont mention his name and especially his motivations or agenda.

People made heroes out of the Columbine shooters as they were "nerds striking back against bullies". I dont even know that was true, but still....

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...rs-did-it.html
The first conclusion is that the pair of supposed “Trench Coat Mafia outcasts” were taking revenge against the bullies who had made school miserable for them.

In reality, what they were after was fame- and they got it:The climax would be captured on live television. It wasn’t just “fame” they were after—Agent Fuselier bristles at that trivializing term—they were gunning for devastating infamy on the historical scale of an Attila the Hun. Their vision was to create a nightmare so devastating and apocalyptic that the entire world would shudder at their power.

Harris and Klebold would have been dismayed that Columbine was dubbed the “worst school shooting in American history.” They set their sights on eclipsing the world’s greatest mass murderers

https://www.businessinsider.com/colu...motives-2018-2
One of the earliest misrepresentations was in profiling the two shooters and laying out their motives. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were initially reported as goths and loners who were part of the "Trench Coat Mafia." The media said they were bullied by jocks and sought revenge on classmates who treated them as social outcasts. Twenty years later, that profile still persists.

But it's a myth.