Old 07-02-2019, 05:52 PM

Spider-Man: Far From Home - Seen it thread - SPOILERS!

Spider-Man: Far From Home has opened here in Australia, and I saw it Monday night.
For the first post, a couple of non-spoiler observations:
1) Zendaya and Tom Holland have really good chemistry, and their characters' relationship is quite adorkable.
2) This is a lighter movie, in the vein of the first MCU Spider-Man, and the Ant-Man movies. The stakes are largely personal, save for the threat of the Elementals...and I'll get into that in my next post.
3) Jake Gyllenhaal turns in a good performance as well.
4) A lot of the secondary characters, alas, were rather one-note caricatures. Ah, well.
8) There is a mid-credits scene, and and end-credits scene, and you should stay for both. The first will have a major impact on any Spider-Man stories going forward, and the second will have a major impact on the MCU in general.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:10 PM

Now, for the spoilery observations.

The Elementals are a sham - the movie is entirely about Peter trying to balance his personal life with the expectations of being a superhero, and living up to the legacy of Tony Stark. Just about everywhere in the movie is some painting on the wall of Tony's or Iron Man's face, looking down at Peter - who just wants to enjoy a vacation with his friends, and tell MJ that he really likes her.
Quentin Beck/Mysterio is the front man for a group of disgruntled former Stark employees, who felt snubbed by Tony. They determine to get the notice and fame they feel they deserve by manufacturing a crisis, and having Mysterio swoop in and save the day. Shades of Syndrome from the Incredibles movie.
The post-Snap world (referred to in the movie as The Blip) is rather lightly touched on; May refers to popping back in to an already reoccupied apartment, for example. Mostly, it's played for laughs. I get why they did this; the movie is fast and cheerful, and dwelling on the problems of the Blip would have distracted from this and the main theme of the movie. That being, I think, the conflict between personal desires and societal duty.

Throughout the movie, I'd thought both Fury and Hill were being rather credulous of Beck and his claims, and acting a little oddly as well. Very obvious in their machinations, reactive in their actions, with relatively little in the way of planning. Turns out there's a reason - they were Skrull impersonators all along, specifically Talos and his mate. Fury had spent the whole movie up in space, as revealed in the end credits scene, on what looks like a Skrull-crewed spaceship.
Yah. Like I said, major implications.

Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The adolescent bits were well-handled; I rarely have much patience for all of that, but they made it charming. Performances were generally good, though characters like the teachers were largely one-note caricatures. Pity, but the movie didn't have much time for them, and that's fine.
Not the very best MCU movie, not quite as good (IMO) as Into the Spider-Verse, but still well worth a watch. 8/10.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:29 PM

Fuck, i bought tickets for this the day they were available and completely forgot it came out today.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
4) A lot of the secondary characters, alas, were rather one-note caricatures. Ah, well.
I didn't think this at all, I really liked them. They were the comic relief a lot of the time, but they did that well and not in an unrealistic way, but very much like teenagers do. There's no time to delve any deeper into their own lives, but what we saw said a lot, and also played on The Blip factor in a clever way.

But I agree that Zendaya as MJ was really good. Her cool-girl-covering-up-awkwardness was so perfect.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
the movie is entirely about Peter trying to balance his personal life with the expectations of being a superhero, and living up to the legacy of Tony Stark.
And then he lives up to Tony's legacy in the worst way possible - he created his own Ultron.

Only Mysterio is an even bigger asshole, and much more clever villain than Ultron...while his post-EDITH destruction wasn't near as bad as what Ultron managed in Sokovia, he did a LOT worse to Peter.

(OTOH, I'm not sure that his post-death plan will hold up to any scrutiny...also not sure about the Bugle apparently being the MCU's equivalent of Brietbart.)
Old 07-02-2019, 10:55 PM

Totally called the elementals being a scam in an earlier thread. See, I know Mysterio.

Liked it more than I expected. The MCU has gotten much better with its villains (id say from 2017 onwards they've been fairly strong). Shame he's dead so won't be teaming up with the sinister 6 anytime soon.

Also: Jameson!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:22 AM

I loved it. It was very Spider-Man and very Comic Book and I mean those both as compliments. Mysterio fights are always supposed to be surreal and we got that.

A few more specific thoughts:

I don't agree that Peter and MJ had any Chemistry at all. When they kissed it was like she was kissing a second cousin.

When Peter said "Execute them all" I thought immediately that phrasing was strange and would sound bad out of context. Was glad when that paid off.

The audience I saw it with cheered when they identified their universe as 616 even though that turned out to be a lie and they cheered even louder when JK Simmons appeared.

If I had one small complaint, I wished there was more of Spider-Man swinging through the city. I was grinning like an idiot when we got a little of that at the end.

You know a movie is good when you wish you could see the next one tomorrow and that is what happened here.

I figured just from the trailers that Mysterio would be a liar and a villain but they still found a way to surprise me with him having a team of people with him. When the hologram started to dissolve in the bar and there were people still there I was wondering if he was going to kill them...and then I was like wow...

I think they laid on the "look he's the new Tony Stark" a little too thick. Let Spider-Man be his own thing. He's been a famous and beloved character for decades and Iron Man has only been more than a third stringer for ten. But I also get it was a theme of the movie so it didn't annoy me much.

Really fun movie.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I think if Peter is to be the new Tony Stark, it would be as a technology developer and scientist, rather than a leader of a team of heroes.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:09 AM

Yesterday I went to the 11 a.m. showing. On the way home, I stopped off for a gyro and fries to go, and I fired up my laptop and had lunch. While browsing, I saw a Youtube review of the movie was up and thought "Huh, the new Spider-man, I should check that ou - waitaminute!"

Maybe it's too soon after Endgame or I'm burning out on the MCU but yeah, almost nothing about this really stuck with me, even just an hour after seeing it. The main film didn't move the narrative forward at all - the most significant things happened in the end credits (including the acknowledgement that, whatever else they changed, they couldn't improve on JK Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson).
Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 AM

So...can Spider-man fly or not?
Old 07-03-2019, 01:31 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I loved everything about it. It falls into the group like Ant-Man that are just fun to watch.

The end scene made me want more right away. Im disappointed that nothing seems to be firmly scheduled right now. Either there are going to be some surprises or we are in for a MCU lull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post

I don't agree that Peter and MJ had any Chemistry at all. When they kissed it was like she was kissing a second cousin.

It was the chemistry of two awkward 16 year olds having their first kiss. It was perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post

(OTOH, I'm not sure that his post-death plan will hold up to any scrutiny...also not sure about the Bugle apparently being the MCU's equivalent of Brietbart.)
In the recent Spider-Man video game J. Jonah is retired from the Bugle and is now on the internet. Hes basically Alex Jones if Alex Jones only cared about Spider-Man. It feels just like him at the end of the movie.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:32 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
No but Night Monkey can.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
He is gliding using the web wings on his suit.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:13 PM

I liked it okay. It hit its marks as a less serious MCU movie.

Quote:
The audience I saw it with cheered when they identified their universe as 616
Why is this cheer-worthy? A "420" type of joke or something? The local phone area code?

Last edited by squeegee; 07-03-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:42 PM

It's a nod to comic book lore, that's all.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:27 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post

Why is this cheer-worthy? A "420" type of joke or something? The local phone area code?
The multi-verse concept is well established in the comics (See: Into the Spiderverse). The main comic book continuity is Earth 616. This is the first time it was mentioned in the MCU.

But since Mysterio is a fraud and from regular earth he would have just made it up. Its just an Easter egg for the comic book fans.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:

The Marvel multiverse is designated by the convention "Earth-xxx". Earth-616 is the main comics universe, Earth-19991 (I think) is the MCU universe, and there's scads of others. I think every issue of "What If" ended up with their own designation, even the really silly ones.
*shakes fist at Loach Or it might be a hint - he gave the wrong designator for Peter's universe, and said he was from one whose number I forget, but is the home of Spiderman UK. It's just so obviously wrong!

Last edited by galen ubal; 07-03-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But then he'd be Fly-Man.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:21 PM

Haven't seen either "Infinity War" movie. How lost will I be?
Old 07-03-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Earth-616 is the main comics universe, Earth-19991 (I think) is the MCU universe, and there's scads of others.
MCU is Earth-199999.

And Beck claims to be from Earth-833, which is actually a destroyed universe, coincidentally. (The Spidey from that earth went by Spider-UK, and was also his universe's equivalent to Captain Britain. He's also dead.)
Old 07-04-2019, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Haven't seen either "Infinity War" movie. How lost will I be?
Not lost, but maybe surprised if you haven't caught up with some specific details. The main story isn't too contingent on Infinity War's plot, beyond one central event that isn't too hard to figure out without help. A lot is explained early on.

Having said that, you should watch them first, because they're spectacularly good.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:35 AM

I particularly enjoyed the Mysterio-Spidey fights wherein Spider-Man is completely lost in the illusions. That really reminded me of the Mysterio sequences I remember from the comics. Also, "Peter-tingle"
Old 07-04-2019, 11:12 AM
BANNED

Thought it was weird no one thought it was weird this superhero from another realm did not have a superhero name already- citizens on his planet just referred to him as Quentin I guess?

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-04-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Remember the context that Beck claimed he was superheroing in - the last ditch effort to save his world from the Elementals. That removes the need for secret identities. And he could have explained not using the codename he was given for propaganda or intra-organization communication purposes, by saying he didn't like it.

'They called me Fishbowl...so Quentin is fine.'
Old 07-04-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
...When Peter said "Execute them all" I thought immediately that phrasing was strange and would sound bad out of context. Was glad when that paid off...
I figured just from the trailers that Mysterio would be a liar and a villain but they still found a way to surprise me with him having a team of people with him. When the hologram started to dissolve in the bar and there were people still there I was wondering if he was going to kill them...and then I was like wow...
For a moment I was expecting EDITH to misinterpret that command and have the drones attack everyone. Not only does Mysterio have an entire special effects team (including someone who's only job is wardrobe management) he has no actual fighting or combat skills himself and it shows.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Thought it was weird no one thought it was weird this superhero from another realm did not have a superhero name already- citizens on his planet just referred to him as Quentin I guess?
His story was that he was a soldier, not a superhero. I found it odd that Betty Brandt was complaining about having to repeat the school year again when the snapped came back when she obviously had not aged at all.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I found it odd that Betty Brandt was complaining about having to repeat the school year again when the snapped came back when she obviously had not aged at all.
If I caught the dialogue correctly they were halfway through the school year when the snap happened and they had to repeat that half year. I guess they were unsnapped during the summer.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:33 AM

Yeah, she was salty about having completed midterms and STILL having to repeat the WHOLE year.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:14 AM

Great movie. I was completely entertained.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:29 AM

I wonder how many other blipped teenagers were using their real birthdate and claiming to be over 21 like Flash did. That's pretty sneaky and totally something a teenager would do.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:55 PM

Loved it. Wasn't all-in on Homecoming, but this, I loved.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauplius View Post
I wonder how many other blipped teenagers were using their real birthdate and claiming to be over 21 like Flash did. That's pretty sneaky and totally something a teenager would do.
I suspect before too much longer, many jurisdictions will be requiring new ID that indicates whether you were Blipped or not.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:33 PM

Rewatched Sam Raimi's first two Spider-Man movies. They are still good BTW if you are thinking about doing the same but one thing they focused on that is kind of hinted at but not really in the new ones is how Peter and his family are lower middle class. I guess since he is younger it is less his problem but Mae in the new ones seems to do fine financially.

It's nice to have one hero that has to worry about money since many (most?) people watching can relate to that.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:59 PM

@ Quimby, I liked that about the old Spider-Man movies. Peter and MJ are kids coming from families with not that much, dreaming of big things. In Spider-Man 2, Mae loses her house, the one Peter grew up in, while Peter worked two jobs and lived in a crap studio apartment. In this movie, Peter is going to Europe for the summer on a school trip, unthinkable in the earlier efforts.

Then again, Peter was BFFs with a multimillionare trust-fund baby in the Raimi movies, so maybe there wasn't a lot of sense to be made from these class struggles.

Last edited by squeegee; 07-05-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
@ Quimby, I liked that about the old Spider-Man movies. Peter and MJ are kids coming from families with not that much, dreaming of big things. In Spider-Man 2, Mae loses her house, the one Peter grew up in, while Peter worked two jobs and lived in a crap studio apartment. In this movie, Peter is going to Europe for the summer on a school trip, unthinkable in the earlier efforts.

Then again, Peter was BFFs with a multimillionare trust-fund baby in the Raimi movies, so maybe there wasn't a lot of sense to be made from these class struggles.
Id like to think that, in the Raimi-verse, Norman made a real point of having Harry attend school with the less-fortunate so he could learn valuable life lessons. Id also like to think that Harry mentioned this to his classmates at least once a day.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

So here's a thought I had which might be interesting.

If Norman Osborn is really a Skrull, that would make him literally a green goblin.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Id like to think that, in the Raimi-verse, Norman made a real point of having Harry attend school with the less-fortunate so he could learn valuable life lessons. Id also like to think that Harry mentioned this to his classmates at least once a day.
There is a line by Norman in the first movie about Harry failing out of every private school Norman paid for.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:38 AM

I liked it. The bus sequence where he almost kills his classmate was awesome and hilarious and pretty much worth the price of admission alone.

I have to say, I didn't really like the whole hologram thing. The last half of the movie just didnt work for me. If anything, at any time, may not be real, you're gonna lose me cause I'm not going to be invest in that. Too meta for me. I can accept that in a psychological thriller maybe, but not a light comic book movie.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I liked it. The bus sequence where he almost kills his classmate was awesome and hilarious and pretty much worth the price of admission alone.

I have to say, I didn't really like the whole hologram thing. The last half of the movie just didnt work for me. If anything, at any time, may not be real, you're gonna lose me cause I'm not going to be invest in that. Too meta for me. I can accept that in a psychological thriller maybe, but not a light comic book movie.
In the books Mysterio was a Hollywood special effects guy, and he also used a hallucinogenic gas on at least one occasion IIRC. The first fight with Mysterio really captured the feel of those early encounters for me, as does the way Spider-Man defeated him by using his Spider-se... I mean Peter Tingle.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:15 AM

Far from home? In Infinity War, Spider Man was literally and figuratively far from home. He was on Titan, described by Tony Stark as billions of miles from Earth, and he was dead, which is figuratively as far from home as you can get. How, then, is Europe far from home? Unless the title is an allegory for Spider Man's post End Game struggles, Stark's death, increased pressure on him, feelings of seclusion, etc. But comic book movies aren't too strong on literary themes. Far from home? I don't think so.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Well, Homecoming was both a reference to his High School dance that featured in the movie, and also that he was in the official MCU at last. So multiple meanings are certainly possible.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
Far from home? In Infinity War, Spider Man was literally and figuratively far from home. He was on Titan, described by Tony Stark as billions of miles from Earth, and he was dead, which is figuratively as far from home as you can get. How, then, is Europe far from home? Unless the title is an allegory for Spider Man's post End Game struggles, Stark's death, increased pressure on him, feelings of seclusion, etc. But comic book movies aren't too strong on literary themes. Far from home? I don't think so.
I think it is an allegory, but not necessarily about the themes you describe. He is literally far from home in the sense that he is in Europe with chaperones, instead of with his family. But he is also the "friendly neighborhood Spiderman," now doing his thing in a place that is not his neighborhood, and without the backup that he had in previous movies. He's growing up, getting up the courage to tell MJ how he feels, waking up to the existence of a relationship between Aunt May and Happy that he was previously oblivious to (in that self-centered teenage way), and acting on a plan instead of just doing what feels right in the moment. (Also, I there there is a reference to Mysterio claiming to be literally far from his home, although it turns out he's just an Earthling with illusion tech.)

And I agree with Guano Lad about Homecoming's double meaning, too.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:13 PM

I really enjoyed the movie, it was fun and very funny at times. I do have so many questions about how the blip would affect the world but I'm not bothered by how they handled things. The "In Memoriam" and announcements thing was perfectly done, both as exposition to start off the movie and in terms of it being a good high school production. I thought Tom Holland and Zendaya were adorable and have perfect high school starting to date chemistry. I also liked the friend and the announcements girl together, they were great. Jake Gyllenhaal was great, both as a new superhero and as an embittered former Stark employee/new supervillain.

I do have a question on something I think I missed: was Brad Davis a classmate who was the same age as Peter Parker and MJ and everyone, and now is 5 years older than them and is still hanging out with the science club? Or was he younger than them, but because of the blip is now same age or older and PP and MJ just missed his growth spurt? Tom Holland and Zendaya look young for their ages and are playing kids younger than they are, but Remy Hii who plays Brad Davis is literally 10 years older than them and looks it and it was confusing for me so I was wondering if there was something I missed.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:30 PM

He was younger than them - the MCU wiki puts Brad's birth in 2007, whereas Peter, MJ, Ned, Flash and Betty were born in 2001. (Which means I'd been making a wrong assumption about the timeline of the movies...apparently Infinity War took place in 2018, and Endgame and Far From Home in 2023... I'd thought the latter two were set in 2019, and the earlier ones all jammed between 2011 and 2014...)

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 07-07-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
He was younger than them - the MCU wiki puts Brad's birth in 2007, whereas Peter, MJ, Ned, Flash and Betty were born in 2001. (Which means I'd been making a wrong assumption about the timeline of the movies...apparently Infinity War took place in 2018, and Endgame and Far From Home in 2023... I'd thought the latter two were set in 2019, and the earlier ones all jammed between 2011 and 2014...)
Ok, that makes sense, although then the announcements video thing was weird that it was like "whoa, isn't it crazy how Brad grew up?" since it was sounding like all the class would know who he was and how it's crazy how much he's changed, when none of them should have known who this kid was who was 6 years younger than them. It should have just been the equivalent of there being a new hunk who transferred from another school. But if you start pulling on any of the threads around how things work after the blip I'm pretty sure a lot of stuff would unravel so I'll just leave that alone.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
Ok, that makes sense, although then the announcements video thing was weird that it was like "whoa, isn't it crazy how Brad grew up?" since it was sounding like all the class would know who he was and how it's crazy how much he's changed, when none of them should have known who this kid was who was 6 years younger than them. It should have just been the equivalent of there being a new hunk who transferred from another school. But if you start pulling on any of the threads around how things work after the blip I'm pretty sure a lot of stuff would unravel so I'll just leave that alone.
If he lived in the same neighborhood as them, they would have known him as the little kid down the street or something.

And it's vital to remember that for those who blipped, no time passed while they were gone. They literally showed the marching band reappearing while still marching on the basketball court. So for them, half of the world magically aged 5 years in an instant. So yeah, teenagers would be totally freaked out that the scrawny kid who they saw at the bus stop is all of a sudden a hunky classmate.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:04 PM

I was very happy that Black Widow was included in the in memorian video at the school, that tells me that the story of what really happened is known to everyone.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:17 PM

I don't think Nat's presence shows that any more than Tony or Steve's.

She wasn't as publicly known as they were before the Avengers, but after the Battle of New York, she'd have been known as an Avenger, and was probably known to be the one keeping the superheroes going in the period between the Snap and the Blip.

Her death is unlikely to have gone unnoticed, and when Bruce, or Fury, or Sam, or whoever it was that did the press conference afterward, no matter how much is classified, would certainly have mentioned her name along with Tony and Steve's.

(The hundreds of Wakandan and Asgardian warriors and Kamar-Taj monks who likely died in the final battle...probably not so much.)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
If he lived in the same neighborhood as them, they would have known him as the little kid down the street or something.

And it's vital to remember that for those who blipped, no time passed while they were gone. They literally showed the marching band reappearing while still marching on the basketball court. So for them, half of the world magically aged 5 years in an instant. So yeah, teenagers would be totally freaked out that the scrawny kid who they saw at the bus stop is all of a sudden a hunky classmate.
I had the impression that it was some sort of science magnet school, so it would be kids from all sorts of neighborhoods, so it's not like everyone would know him. It's not a big deal, just something that confused me, since most of the kids look somewhat close to their age and Brad Davis is played by someone literally twice his age and looks it.

It's possible that the announcements kids knew him and the rest of the school never knew him before this year and don't think of him as the formerly scrawny kid with the big growth spurt and are just surprised by the pictures in the announcements. I could easily imagine high school kids making a big deal out of things in announcements that the rest of the school is confused by or doesn't care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I was very happy that Black Widow was included in the in memorian video at the school, that tells me that the story of what really happened is known to everyone.
I appreciated that too. I'm guessing Maria Hill or someone put out a press release about what happened, since otherwise all people would know is that she disappeared.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Okay, my question: how come Peter Parker refers to AT-ATs in The Empire Strikes Back as "those walking thingies" (paraphrasing) when he has a rather LARGE TIE Bomber or TIE Advanced (Vader's TIE in SWE4) sitting on his shelf in his bedroom at home?