Old 07-03-2019, 05:58 PM

Newcastle Brown Ale has been re-imagined by Lagunitas. Re-imagined = ruined

Newcastle Brown Ale, a tasty British import Ale was a very good mild ale. Now the geniuses at Lagunitas has made a new formula for the US market and it is just bitter. No taste of ale at all. The only thing they got right was at least it is finally in a brown bottle.

Now get off my lawn you damn kids.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

That's … horrible. Newcastle is one of my all time favorite beers.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

You mean the new version actually has a flavor? Amazing!

Needless to say, I fucking hate Newcastle.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:49 AM

I remember being surprised at how mild Newcastle Brown was, for a beer that color. I expected it to have some kind of standout character. As it turns out, its mildness was what stood out. Then I read that the brown color was not achieved by roasted grains but by a coloring agent, and I felt hoplessly deceived and swore off of it.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:02 AM

Probably more people drink Newcastle brown in the US than in the UK these days - joke of an ale tbh. Roughly equivalent to us importing pabst blue ribbon to the UK and declaring it a fine example of American beer.

Although tbf that sweet mild ale style is well out of fashion nowadays so if you like it there may not be anything good to choose from.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:03 AM

Bought a 6 pack and didn't know about the change. Took one sip, spit it out, and poured the rest out. If I wanted a bitter super-hoppy beer there is only about 100 different ones. Why you gotta ruin a perfectly fine sipping beer.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldDix View Post
Bought a 6 pack and didn't know about the change. Took one sip, spit it out, and poured the rest out. If I wanted a bitter super-hoppy beer there is only about 100 different ones. Why you gotta ruin a perfectly fine sipping beer.
Not sure what I'm going to do with the other 11 bottles. I got through 3/4s of the first and dumped the remainder. Wasn't my go to ale but one I enjoyed from time to time especially when it was on sale.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
You mean the new version actually has a flavor? Amazing!

Needless to say, I fucking hate Newcastle.
I do, too, except for cooking, but if they did hop it up, I can’t even use it for that! I’ll have to try it to see what they did with it.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I was in Newcastle this year and drank much better beer. Of course, there was a time when Newcastle, Becks, and Molson were the only ‘import’ beers you could get in most places.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I actually was reading up a bit about this. When did Newcastle exit the US market? I somehow didn't notice. Even though I'm not a Newcastle fan, it seems really weird to me to keep the name and change the formulation that much. It's only bound to disappoint the folks who love that beer.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:27 AM

I'm confused. What makes anyone think Newcastle Brown Ale is being brewed at/by Lagunitas Brewing Company? "Newcastle" is a product of Heineken, and has been since 2008. Lagunitas BC is owned by Heineken (part owners since 2015, sole owners since 2017). But the Lagunitas website doesn't advertise Newcastle.

Newcastle Brown Ale is not brewed exclusively in England at all any more. Production moved in 2017 to Zoeterwoude, Netherlands. The company (Heineken) gave as a reason that this would reduce transit times to the US, which consumes more of the product than any other single country, apparently. So it would appear that, if there has been a re-formulation, it's being done by Heineken at it's brewery in the Netherlands.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
I'm confused. What makes anyone think Newcastle Brown Ale is being brewed at/by Lagunitas Brewing Company? "Newcastle" is a product of Heineken, and has been since 2008. Lagunitas BC is owned by Heineken (part owners since 2015, sole owners since 2017). But the Lagunitas website doesn't advertise Newcastle.

Newcastle Brown Ale is not brewed exclusively in England at all any more. Production moved in 2017 to Zoeterwoude, Netherlands. The company (Heineken) gave as a reason that this would reduce transit times to the US, which consumes more of the product than any other single country, apparently. So it would appear that, if there has been a re-formulation, it's being done by Heineken at it's brewery in the Netherlands.
If you google "Lagunitas newcastle," you'll find plenty of explanation. Here is one.

Quote:
Lagunitas Begins Brewing Newcastle Brown Ale

Heineken USA is proud to announce the March 2019 relaunch of Newcastle Brown Ale brewed by Lagunitas Brewing Company, a new brew that celebrates the Altogether Uncommon by bringing together a unique blend of pale and roasted malts with American hops.
Here's a more in-depth report, including the change in recipe.

Quote:
Fans of Newcastle Brown Ale will notice a new flavor.

That’s because production has moved from the Netherlands to the U.S., where Chicago’s Lagunitas Brewery will now make the beer under a new recipe. Both brands are owned by Heineken, which made the switch as part of the U.S. relaunch of Newcastle Brown Ale.
Also, read the comments about Newcastle drinkers complaining that the recipe change is significant, despite the article downplaying the changes.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-04-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:45 PM

I think Lagunitas make a lot of really good beers, but if they changed the recipe they really should give it a new name. God knows they have no problem coming up with stoned new names. Lagunitas: those who brew Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post

Your Google-Foo has failed you this time. But pulykamell summed it up well.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:05 PM

I was drinking Lagunitas on the 4th of July 1994 at the High Sierra Music Festival in Bear Valley CA., less than one year after the brewery had started operations, and while there is nothing actually WRONG with their beers, they are all fairly generic, middle-of-the-road American "microbrews", with nothing particular to make them stand out from the 100's of others virtually identical to them (Fat Tire, Stone Brewing, Dogfish, Full Sail to name but a few) all of which can be perfectly fine for what they are, but to hear self-impressed snobs wax poetically about this essence or that finishing note is a mollyfocking joke.

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 07-04-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I think Lagunitas make a lot of really good beers, but if they changed the recipe they really should give it a new name. God knows they have no problem coming up with stoned new names. Lagunitas: those who brew Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale.
And Waldo's Special Ale....And so many more great brews!
Old 07-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
I was drinking Lagunitas on the 4th of July 1994 at the High Sierra Music Festival in Bear Valley CA., less than one year after the brewery had started operations, and while there is nothing actually WRONG with their beers, they are all fairly generic, middle-of-the-road American "microbrews", with nothing particular to make them stand out from the 100's of others virtually identical to them (Fat Tire, Stone Brewing, Dogfish, Full Sail to name but a few) all of which can be perfectly fine for what they are, but to hear self-impressed snobs wax poetically about this essence or that finishing note is a mollyfocking joke.
And yet you name 4 breweries that I can distinguish by taste in blind tastings (and have, repeatedly.) Only someone with a naugahyde palate could mistake a brew from Stone as something New Belgium produced. Ditto Dogfish and Full Sail.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:17 PM

FWIW this says that the UK product is still brewed in the UK. (Mind you, it also says that it smells of chocolate digestives and goes well with pork scratchings. Hmm.) Nevertheless, in the spirit of research that the SD is known for, I shall go and buy a bottle for testing purposes.

Thing is, in recent years it's been a rather bland drink - nothing offensive about it but....meh. But if I think back to when I first knew it, forty or so years ago, it was an extraordinary beer. I always used to describe the flavour then as "twisty" - there seemed to be a swirl of different notes competing for your attention. Either it changed or I did. I think probably it.

j
Old 07-04-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
And yet you name 4 breweries that I can distinguish by taste in blind tastings (and have, repeatedly.)
How terribly impressive.

I have been to tastings at both Full Sail Brewing in Hood River and New Belgium in Ft. Collins, both 25+ years ago, long before the American microbrew hit Critical Mass and every wannabe who lived within 20 miles of a Liquor Barn fancied themselves the Anthony Bourdain of beer critics (I freely admit that I was more than a bit of a know-it-all beer snob in my early 20's, apparently not everyone grows out of it like I did)

Tomorrow at this time I will be drinking dunkles bier in Munich, so I am pretty happy with how my tastes in beer have developed.

Prost!

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 07-04-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:56 PM

This kind of pisses me off. Not because Newcastle is all that special (though I did like it), but because Lagunitas was one of the brewers at the forefront of the popular trend to completely over-hop every. single. beer. they. make.

It's not uncommon to go into a bar with 10 taps, and they're Bud, Bud Light, and 8 IPA's. Some of us have taste buds that don't respond well to bitterness. You can't let us have one fucking malty ale?

Last edited by Wheelz; 07-04-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
This kind of pisses me off. Not because Newcastle is all that special (though I did like it), but because Lagunitas was one of the brewers at the forefront of the popular trend to completely over-hop every. single. beer. they. make.

It's not uncommon to go into a bar with 10 taps, and they're Bud, Bud Light, and 8 IPA's. Some of us have taste buds that don't respond well to bitterness. You can't let us have one fucking malty ale?
Preach it brutha, give me a porter, a red ale, even a Bass, I'm happy enough to get a Yuengling Lager as at least it has taste and isn't bitter. Newcastle was a good occasional summer drink for me. Inbev already wrecked the Bass distribution in my area. About half the bars had it on tap here and now it is rare as rare can be. Finding a Murphy's Red ale or Stout is next to impossible. Even Smithwicks is far and few between.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
How terribly impressive.

I have been to tastings at both Full Sail Brewing in Hood River and New Belgium in Ft. Collins, both 25+ years ago, long before the American microbrew hit Critical Mass and every wannabe who lived within 20 miles of a Liquor Barn fancied themselves the Anthony Bourdain of beer critics (I freely admit that I was more than a bit of a know-it-all beer snob in my early 20's, apparently not everyone grows out of it like I did)

Tomorrow at this time I will be drinking dunkles bier in Munich, so I am pretty happy with how my tastes in beer have developed.

Prost!
You don't seem defensive about it at all.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

On my way to my brother's earlier today, I stopped by the local supermarket to pick up some beers. Thinking of this thread, I looked for a Newcastle in the "Build Your Own Six Pack" section of the beer cooler. They had one Newcastle left. And it was a Dutch one (brewed in the Netherlands on the label)! I looked at the rest of the cooled beer section and found the new Newcastle (said it was brewed by Lagunitas right here in Chicago.) Yay! We could do a proper side-by-side taste test.

First impressions: Lagunitas Newcastle poured slightly darker than the old Newcastle. Not a whole lot of difference--at first it seemed much darker, but after we poured the glasses and compared them in the light, they were pretty close in color.

Smell: Lagunitas Newcastle was very malt forward on the nose. I was expecting hops, given the descriptions of bitterness, but I didn't really detect much, if any, hops on smelling. But it definitely had a nice, sweet crystal malt scent to it. The Dutch (old) Newcastle had none of this sweet malt on the nose. Just a straightforward "beery" scent to it. Nothing particularly distinguishable.

Head: Lagunitas Newcastle, much thicker and somewhat darker head. Old Newcastle didn't pour with much head, and what head there was was gone by the time we got halfway through the glass. Lagunitas Newcastle had a sturdy head that lasted all the way to the bottom of the beer.

Taste: They definitely tasted different, but I was expecting a hopped-up Lagunitas-style ale when I read the complaints about the new Newcastle, but I did not find that to be the case. The Lagunitas Newcastle has more malt flavor to it. Not outrageously malty, but definitely more malty than the old one. It did have additional bitterness, but no overwhelming hop flavor. Just a bit more bitterness to balance out the malt. And the bitterness lingers a little bit, which it does not with the old Newcastle.

My brother and I basically had the same conclusion as the above. My wife also tried one of each (when she drinks craft, she gravitates towards ambers and middle-of-the-road beer.) She actually preferred the new one (enough so that she drank three of them. My brother and I just split the one and moved on to other beers.)

My impression is that it is certainly different, and if I were a Newcastle fan, the difference would be enough that it's' no longer "Newcastle" beer to me. Why they didn't just name this something else, I don't know. That said, it is still a very middle-of-the-road beer, well-balanced, and not a hop bomb or anything like that by any stretch. To my tastes, it's a much better beer than the original Newcastle, but, as I said above, I don't like Newcastle. However, I'm also not going to be running out to buy this beer any chance I get (though knowing that my wife seems to like it, I'm more likely to pick it up.) And for the cooking uses that I normally liked Newcastle for, this new one actually should do fine, probably a bit better.

(And I agree that Lagunitas is quite different than Fat Tire or any of New Belgium's offerings -- they have a very distinct cereal malt taste to most of their brews that drives me nuts-- and certainly not mistakable for Dogfish Head, which doesn't have that super citrussy/graperfruity West Coast IPA flavor to it. )
Old 07-04-2019, 06:35 PM

Well, if you reread the OP, I never said it was Hoppy, just bitter. to my taste very bitter. But less Hoppy then say a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:38 PM

Pulykamell: Did Lagunitas up the ante ABV-wise?

Last edited by bobot; 07-04-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Well, if you reread the OP, I never said it was Hoppy, just bitter. to my taste very bitter. But less Hoppy then say a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
No, I'm not talking about your comments--there were some others online I read that mentioned hoppiness, which I don't taste. But there definitely is some astringency there that isn't there in the original. I find it pleasant and not overbearing, but it's noticeable and changes the beer enough for it (along with the additional maltiness) to be a different beer. I just was expecting a hoppy brew, given the online description of it, and the fact they were using Centennial and Chinook hops, but their flavor is subdued. One of the articles I read did say that the IBUs have gone up by about 8, though.

Quote:
Pulykamell: Did Lagunitas up the ante ABV-wise?
Nope. Still 4.7%.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-04-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

ETA: I should also add that I failed to check the date on the old Newcastle bottle. The beer didn't taste off or skunky to me or anything like that, but it must have been somewhat aged stock if it was brewed in Holland (and since the new one was introduced in March here), so the less malty and subdued characteristics of it may have something to do with that, although it did taste as I remember Newcastle tasting, though perhaps a bit less "nutty" that my memories of it.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-04-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Actually, a call to my brother says the "drink by" date was Sept 2019, so still fresh enough for a fair impression and comparison.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
FWIW this says that the UK product is still brewed in the UK. (Mind you, it also says that it smells of chocolate digestives and goes well with pork scratchings. Hmm.) Nevertheless, in the spirit of research that the SD is known for, I shall go and buy a bottle for testing purposes.

Thing is, in recent years it's been a rather bland drink - nothing offensive about it but....meh. But if I think back to when I first knew it, forty or so years ago, it was an extraordinary beer. I always used to describe the flavour then as "twisty" - there seemed to be a swirl of different notes competing for your attention. Either it changed or I did. I think probably it.

j
Do let us know what you think. I remember enjoying a few pints of it back in the 90s in London. It has occurred to me I haven't seen it on tap here in quite some time, nor has it been at the beverage store.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
If you google "Lagunitas newcastle," you'll find plenty of explanation. Here is one.

Here's a more in-depth report, including the change in recipe.

Also, read the comments about Newcastle drinkers complaining that the recipe change is significant, despite the article downplaying the changes.
Thanks. Ugh. I guess it's a good thing I moved on to ciders.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I remember being surprised at how mild Newcastle Brown was, for a beer that color. I expected it to have some kind of standout character. As it turns out, its mildness was what stood out.
In my college days Newcastle was one of my favorite beers, probably because I was new to drinking beer and I liked it because of its mildness. Then years later my taste in beer changed, and I moved on to more flavorful beers. But one day I decided to pick up a pack of Newcastle just for old time's sake. I hated it. I might as well have been drinking water.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 07-05-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Word. If you go to the craft brew section of a supermarket, subtract the IPA's, you have about 3 beers left. I can't stand most American hops as they taste "catty" or "skunked" to me.

The Dutch Newcastle is sweet colored water. The British guys I used to work with back in the 90's disparaged NBA as "the dog" and thought it was a pretty poor representation of UK beer.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:13 AM

The UK is extremely good on brands, how to build them and promote them and in addition many UK brands are quite old with some dating back to mid Victorian times.

In the US and Europe they are not as good at managing brands, and do not understand that part of the value of a brand is brand loyalty - which means not making changes and certainly not ones that can be seen as downgrading the product.

You can see the effect of poor brand management when Coca Cola tried to make changes and how well it went in the US some years ago.

The point is that many of those old UK brands have been taken up into conglomerates and some of these have then been taken over by the likes of Nestle and Legunitas.

These are organisations that tend to be short termist, so they look at returns and bottom lines, especially in highly leveraged buyouts where debt has to be serviced.

One of the things they will do is to reduce the strength and quality of the ingredients, along with trying out novel variations of the brand. This runs counter to the much longer term prospect of managing a brand, where change has to be extremely circumspect - successful brand managers tend to concentrate on promotion and careful advertising placement rather than adulterating the product.

What you have with Legunitas is a company that simply does not understand how to manage a brand, they have effectively cheapened and changed Newcastle Brown in an attempt to capture a larger market, but in the end they have damaged the brand such that the original market will no longer touch it - to be honest their version of the product is execrable so I stopped buying it some time ago.

Nestle did this with Kit Kat - added more sugar and less cocoa solids and the customers walked away in droves, now they are promoting the "new" more chocolaty version of Kit Kat - which of course is a return to what the product was in the first place.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdave View Post
What you have with Legunitas is a company that simply does not understand how to manage a brand, they have effectively cheapened and changed Newcastle Brown in an attempt to capture a larger market, but in the end they have damaged the brand such that the original market will no longer touch it - to be honest their version of the product is execrable so I stopped buying it some time ago.
It's only been on the market since mid-March or so. I guess that can qualify as "some time ago," though I tend to think of the phrase as spanning a larger time gap. Just want to make sure you're thinking of the right product. I've actually only just noticed it on the market, and apparently they still had some old Newcastles from Holland around, as I was able to do a side-by-side taste test.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-07-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
The British guys I used to work with back in the 90's disparaged NBA as "the dog" and thought it was a pretty poor representation of UK beer.
While your colleagues might have been disparaging of Newkie Brown, “dog” is actually a traditional (and affectionate) nickname for it. Apparently, from the classic British euphemism “going to see a man about a dog” (ie. going down the pub).

OB
Old 07-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
While your colleagues might have been disparaging of Newkie Brown, “dog” is actually a traditional (and affectionate) nickname for it. Apparently, from the classic British euphemism “going to see a man about a dog” (ie. going down the pub).

OB
OB, I appreciate the color and get it. Even as a septic, it was pretty obvious out on the piss going with FILTH to see a mana about a dog in HK in the 1990's, the dog was not held in high esteem. We could get a proper pint of Tetley's and Boddington's though.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
The British guys I used to work with back in the 90's disparaged NBA as "the dog" and thought it was a pretty poor representation of UK beer.
Yeah, I dated a British girl for a while (ethnically Scottish, but grew up near Southampton), and she mocked me pretty mercilessly for drinking Newcastle Brown also. Apparently it's in the same league there as the megabrews (Bud, Miller and Coors) are here.

Personally, I always thought that it was ok, but not stellar, and was often the only beer I could find that wasn't a light lager. (why I was drinking it in the first place).
Old 07-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
Do let us know what you think. I remember enjoying a few pints of it back in the 90s in London. It has occurred to me I haven't seen it on tap here in quite some time, nor has it been at the beverage store.
Relates to a promise I made to do a little research. Well, I have a glass here now - UK product, brewed in Tadcaster in (I presume) what was the John Smith's brewery. If that doesn't lower your expectations.....

Anyway this (I think I cocked the link up last time) is the spiel

Quote:
AROMA:
Like a chocolate digestive biscuit
Nope, you got me beat. I was thinking that the aroma was a bit hop oily - as in the hop oil you can buy for home brewing - and I see that the ingredients do include hop extract. Also slightly floral.

It's not very bitter, but actually moreso (and a little less bland) than I remember. Overall I would call the flavour thin and rather citrus. Certainly not notably malty. But to be fair, with a little more character than many general purpose bitters.

It's been a little while since I had one, but I think this is much the same (UK version of) Newcastle Brown. If that's the case then presumably there's a UK product and an International product brewed to different recipes. That's not that unusual, but it usually works (here) the other way around (European lager brands were introduced into Britain back in the 1970s in a locally brewed, watered down version).

Quote:
FOOD MATCH:
Pork scratchings, steak and ale pie.
Not while I've got my strength.

j
Old 07-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Fucking preach it brother. In my neck of the woods you don't even get Bud or Bud Light. The hipster douche canoes running these places have decided that no macro brew shall ever soil their tap lines or weigh down their coolers. You WILL drink a microbrew and it WILL be hoppy as fuck, like it or not. These same people happily pour Sam Adams, Goose Island, Lagunitas and Blue Moon without a hint of irony.

Give me my malt, give me my wheat, and sometimes, give me my god damned lawnmower beer.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Fucking preach it brother. In my neck of the woods you don't even get Bud or Bud Light. The hipster douche canoes running these places have decided that no macro brew shall ever soil their tap lines or weigh down their coolers. You WILL drink a microbrew and it WILL be hoppy as fuck, like it or not. These same people happily pour Sam Adams, Goose Island, Lagunitas and Blue Moon without a hint of irony.

Give me my malt, give me my wheat, and sometimes, give me my god damned lawnmower beer.
Come to my side of town.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post

Overall I would call the flavour thin and rather citrus. Certainly not notably malty. But to be fair, with a little more character than many general purpose bitters.

j
Pity.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Come to my side of town.
Hmm, that's MGD territory. I'm not quite that desperate yet.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
...Give me my malt, give me my wheat, and sometimes, give me my god damned lawnmower beer.
Come to Houston. https://www.saintarnold.com/year-round-beers/#lawnmower

It's good, I promise. The higher octane version, Weedwhacker, is even better. Edit: and out of production since 2018. Bummer.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 07-09-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hmm, that's MGD territory. I'm not quite that desperate yet.
Plenty of Bud around here. All the bars that have Miller should also have Bud (though Old Style is my drink when it comes to lawnmower beers.)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Plenty of Bud around here. All the bars that have Miller should also have Bud (though Old Style is my drink when it comes to lawnmower beers.)
On the South Side, even the fancy pants, Bib Gourmand-rated restaurants sell $3 cans of Hamm's. Seriously, look at the beverages menu. No Bud though.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgHunter View Post
On the South Side, even the fancy pants, Bib Gourmand-rated restaurants sell $3 cans of Hamm's. Seriously, look at the beverages menu. No Bud though.
Yeah, the Duck Inn is a bit of a hipstery (though not overly so) place in gentrifying Bridgeport.) I pass by it almost every day during the school year, and they do have a Hamm's sign prominently displayed in their window. But pretty much all the local non-froufrou neighborhood bars I've been to have both Bud and Miller around here, if not on tap, then in bottles. Coors is a bit more difficult to find (though the Duck Inn does have that as one of their choices--they're being a bit cute picking Hamms and Coors to go with the Miller beer as their lawnmower beers instead of Bud and Old Style. Though, to be honest, I can't remember the last tap Old Style I've had--all bottles around here that I could think of.)

That said, most of the North Side hipster joints also do seem to have a cheapie lawnmower beer on offer. PBR was the usual one, but I've also seen Hamm's up there.

For the decidedly non-hipster, neighborhood bars around here: Here is Illinois Bar and Grill, a block and a half from me. Note the far left tap: Bud Light. Here's Michaels on 45th and Archer. Note the Miller and Bud signs in the window. My usual place, the Chateau (on 47th & Springfield, which closed down four years ago), had exactly two beers on tap: Bud Light and Miller Lite. Stanley's in Back of the Yards (RIP Wanda), no Bud drafts, but Bud bottles available.

You're certainly more likely to see MGD and Miller branding and specials around here, but the places I go to all seem to at least offer Bud in bottles, if not draft.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Damn, I passed by a place today near Berwyn (or perhaps in Berwyn) with a Stroh's sign out front. I totally forgot about that beer! I don't think I've ever tasted it. I do see a couple of the Binny's outlets stock it, so it may not just be for decoration. (Also passed by two more bars on 47th here in the neighborhood with Bud Light signs either in the window or out front, so there's no lack of Bud here, if that's your lawnie of choice.)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Well, Newcastle is the only beer I've ever bought and thrown away because of how lousy it was. Watery and unpleasant were the only words I could use to decribe it with. Now, perhaps it had gone off, but they chose to package an ale in clear glass, so maybe that's on them.

I'm not a huge Lagunitas fan, but always been fine with their beers, so this might warrant a try.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bud is hard to come by on the south side for.....reasons.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bud is hard to come by on the south side for.....reasons.
Except it's not. Am I being whooshed or something? Is it because it's a "Cubs" beer or something? Like I said, every single bar I regularly go to in my part of town (Midway area, Archer Heights/47th/Pulaski to be more precise.) has Bud, and the one I go to the most has Bud Lite on draft. Regardless, I thought your initial complain was a general lack of lawnmower beer at the hipster bars. No lack of lawnmower beers here (although as I said before, even the North Side hipster bars seem to all have at least one $2 or $3 lawnmower beer for those "slumming" it.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-11-2019 at 02:47 PM.