Old 07-04-2019, 12:23 AM

mad magazine to cease publication

Aftermany decades mad magazine is ceasing publication .are any of you dopers former fans of the magazine as kids??
Old 07-04-2019, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

I figured they were in trouble, as are most magazines, but I didn't think they were this close to the edge. I would have picked Playboy as the next famous magazine to cease publishing.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:29 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Aw, man.

Truth be told, I thought it lost its appeal around 1975 or '80. But it was nice to know it was still around. In the coming years, who'll be left to get the "What, me worry?" references?

My father had a few issues from the 1950s, and those were really good.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:45 AM

I read Mad Mag pretty regularly from childhood through college.

I always found something to laugh at.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:28 AM

Mad spokesman was quoted saying "I'm worried."
Old 07-04-2019, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

man, that sucks but prolly inevitable in this day and age. How can you do the last page fold up if it's not in your hand.

Course I'm guilty of helping their demise in that it's been decades since I've bought a copy
Old 07-04-2019, 03:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic_man View Post
are any of you dopers former fans of the magazine as kids??
Anybody here like pizza?
Old 07-04-2019, 03:22 AM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
man, that sucks but prolly inevitable in this day and age. How can you do the last page fold up if it's not in your hand.

Course I'm guilty of helping their demise in that it's been decades since I've bought a copy
Ooof, yeah, sorry to see MAD go, but I haven't purchased an issue since I was 10 years old. They've long been surpassed in cultural relevance in my world.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:27 AM

man, that sucks.....but satire like that is lost on the younger people these days .... but it was around long enough for some of their predictions to be true ......

maybe they'll keep putting out books occasionally ......my favorite was the then and now they used ot do like one was: back then: the art teacher busted johnny with a playboy and sent him to the principal's office

Now: since the art teacher was in the playboy Johnny and his friends had a good laugh as the art teacher is resigning in the principal's office (they wrote it waayy more funnier tho )

Last edited by nightshadea; 07-04-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:40 AM

I used to enjoy the folding covers that would make a different picture, and Spy vs Spy...
Old 07-04-2019, 04:15 AM

Sad news indeed. I posted about Mad Magazine’s influence a few years back.

Just another example of wonderful things from childhood that have gone extinct. I’m going to need a long, stiff swig of Cocoa Marsh to get me through the agony of Mad’s demise.

… drat, my stupid grocery store appears to be out of Cocoa Marsh!
Old 07-04-2019, 05:15 AM

Funny, my daughter showed me this video yesterday. Does that guy remind you of anyone in particular?

… btw, I think I may have squished my cat a bit too hard. Is it normal for blood to spurt from a cat’s eye socket?
Old 07-04-2019, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

I had a subscription for a few years. I may still have some of them somewhere.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:02 AM

I haven't read an issue since the 70s, but I was obsessed with Mad as a kid.

I would actually try to anticipate when each issue was due to come out and bike to the local drugstore when that day rolled around. Sometimes I was there on 4 or 5 consecutive days.

Much disappointment on days I realized the old issue was still on display, much joy when finding a new cover.

mmm

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 07-04-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:17 AM

I have very fond memories of reading Mad magazine when I was maybe 8 to 13 years old.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:24 AM

MAD and the Goon Show were strong influences on my developing sense of humor.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

The closest I can find for an announcement:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-years-1222636
Old 07-04-2019, 07:35 AM

My first issue was September 1964. Cost was 25 cents. Frankenstein was on the cover assembling a plastic model of Alfred E. Neuman.

And I remember the Mad poiuyt!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:38 AM

They're kind of like the Rolling Stones. At their best they were inspirational and transformative. But all their important achievements I can think of happened over 50 years ago and at this point they are still coasting on the momentum of their early stuff.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:55 AM

Recycling old content with new covers.
Hey guys, just let it die.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48865342
Quote:
DC, which publishes the magazine, told ABC in a statement: "After issue #10 this fall there will no longer be new content - except for the end of year specials which will always be new. So starting with issue #11, the magazine will feature classic, best of and nostalgic content from the last 67 years."
Old 07-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

I recall first encountering Mad magazine in the back row of my first grade home room. The kid next to me had sneaked it in as contraband.

I was never a huge fan but I would read it occasionally, as well as some of the bound collections.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:37 AM

Sad news, but they should work hard to not do a National Lampoon and shit all over their legacy for decades and devalue it for a few quick bucks.

At least we got a glimpse of what happens in their office.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Anybody here like pizza?
So long as it's drizzled with olive oil.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 AM

I, like many of you, read MAD religiously as a child and as a teenager. I still have my issues from the late 50s to early 70s, and prize them. Those movie satires (often of movies my parents would never have allowed me to see), Don Martin, The Lighter Side of..., Spy vs Spy, the little cartoons in the margins...pure gold. I have to admit that I haven't read an issue in decades, and when I did, I was disappointed. MAD was just never the same after Bill Gaines sold it to that furshlugginer* Warner Communications. It lost its edge and became little more than a comic book. But I'm sad that MAD will no longer be there. I've always said my sense of humor was influenced by (in chronological order) Ernie Kovacs, Stan Freberg, Jack Benny, Soupy Sales, and the usual gang of idiots at MAD. The first four are long gone, and now MAD too. Farewell Alfred E. Neuman!

*A Yiddish word often used in MAD. If you were a MAD fan, you know what it means.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:10 AM

I still have a handful of Mads from the early and mid-70s as well as 5 or 6 books from the 1960s. I'm gonna scour the valley for a copy of the August issue.

Like so many others, Mad Magazine was a crucial part of my developing sense of humor and of the world. Al Jaffe, Harvey Kurtzman, Sergio Aragones, Don Martin, Bill Gaines, Al Feldstein, Mort Drucker, Dave Berg, Jack Davis... all names I just pulled out of my head from 40+ years ago, no need to look them up. These people were huge in my life for a decade or so and now, all these years later, I don't regret any of the time I spent with their work or their influence; in fact, I cherish it as one of the richest things in my life's experience.

Hell, I still have at least 4 of the original Alfred E. Neuman posters I bought as a kid in the '70s. I'm gonna have to find a nice frame for one of them now, I guess. It'll look great in my library.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-04-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:12 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I began reading it in the mid 1960's and loved it. I gave it up in the early 1970's when I discovered National Lampoon. But it was a classic, and left its stamp on my personality. My humor is very much in line with their early material.

Fare thee well, Alfred E. Neuman! I could plotz!
Old 07-04-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I would have picked Playboy as the next famous magazine to cease publishing.
I understand they are now a quarterly.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:09 AM

Alas! Alfred E. has cause to worry.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Sith Mod

Where will I go for my Spiro Agnew jokes now?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I read it religiously from middle school to my early teens. Always thought it was better than Cracked or Crazy. Heck it was part of my early sex education.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:33 AM

Adieu, usual gang of idiots. Meet you on the Squamish court.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Heck, I'm still reading it, after fifty years. Never subscribed, bought it from the newsstand always, but have quite the collection. Nothing in collectible shape, as pretty much every issue I own has been read and re-read repeatedly.

But it was an influence on me growing up, and in my adult years. Sad to see it go.

Potrzebie!
Old 07-04-2019, 10:55 AM

mad magazine to cease publication

You gaines some, you lose some...
Old 07-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Now we'll never know what a Veeblefetzer is used for!
Old 07-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Another article here: MAD Magazine Is Ceasing Publication of Original Content, May Shut Down Entirely

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAH66 View Post
I used to enjoy the folding covers that would make a different picture, and Spy vs Spy...
One of MAD's contributors tweeted: "It's wild that Al Jaffee [AFAIK still doing the fold-in at age 98] outlasted MAD as a living entity. I wish others were still here as well to raise a seltzer bottle. And I wish MAD would hire Jaffee to do the cover for the last original issue of the magazine. Because, for all intents and purposes, MAD is folding."
Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I had a considerable collection of original MADs from the 1950s and '60s saved in my family's homestead. Unfortunately all were tossed when Mom moved in the 1970's. The culprit was my ultra-religious uncle, who took charge during the move. MADs were most definitely not Christian-approved material, being a product of The Devil or worse. Comedy is NOT something to laugh about!
Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 AM

Oh, that's sad. It was THE thing to read back in the 60's, and they had some really snarky, clever stuff (to kids, teenagers) - their movie parodies had us in stitches. My brothers and I spent hours looking for the tiny cartoons in the margins. But I haven't read it in decades. A A couple years ago a friend asked me to see if I could find a copy on the magazine stand. It took some time, I found out it was published quarterly, and I found it at Barnes & Noble, of all places. Sadly, my friend and I took a look and really had no idea what they were satirizing, who the 'celebrities' mentioned were, and just found it disappointing. But in the past, we were all over it.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:38 AM

Damn! And @#%&*!!!!

I just bought the latest copy a couple of days ago. The Clerk at Barnes and Noble told me a lot of people have been buying it. Sign that it's still popular, or sign that word of Impending Doom leaked out?

Even at its worst, I have enjoyed Mad. Its a necessary anodyne to the Modern World (and to Trump in particular). Its "Twenty Worst Things about (year)" was one of its better new features.

And now it's going to be gone? After all the other humor magazines bit the dust -- Cracked, National Lampoon, even Punch?

Hail and farewell.

Potrzebie

Poiuyt

What, me worry?
Old 07-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Good (though not Great) News! Mad is NOT ceasing publication altogether!

Quote:
The seminal humor publication will no longer be available on newsstands after its August issue, according to a person familiar with the matter.

After that, issues will be available only via comic book stores and subscriptions, the source said.

The source indicated that issues after No. 10 of its current volume will reprint earlier material with new covers. However, the magazine will continue to publish its end-of-year special, books and special collections.

The source said Mad is making the change as the newsstand business shrinks.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/media...rnd/index.html

I'm hoping that the End-of-the-Year Special will include new material (like the Twenty Worst Things), so that it won't ALL be reprints only.

Hey, once-a-year Mad is still better than none.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:53 AM

Time to pour a Moxie out for the UGoI.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Oh, that's sad. It was THE thing to read back in the 60's, and they had some really snarky, clever stuff (to kids, teenagers) - their movie parodies had us in stitches. My brothers and I spent hours looking for the tiny cartoons in the margins. But I haven't read it in decades. A A couple years ago a friend asked me to see if I could find a copy on the magazine stand. It took some time, I found out it was published quarterly, and I found it at Barnes & Noble, of all places. Sadly, my friend and I took a look and really had no idea what they were satirizing, who the 'celebrities' mentioned were, and just found it disappointing. But in the past, we were all over it.

yeah, when they did a parody of ST:TNG I was already busting up just reading the character names in the intro panel.

Picard: Jaunt-Fluke Retard
Riker: Linoleum Wiper
Dr.: Loverly Cruncher
Wes: Pestly Cruncher

can't recall the rest...

Last edited by jz78817; 07-04-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:56 AM

Like so many others, I loved it as a young teenager, but haven't looked at a current issue in many years. I always assumed, though, that the similar-aged kids of every generation would continue to enjoy their MAD magazine. Sad for the kids who won't get to enjoy fresh MAD material in the future.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:59 PM

I loved all of it, but I always had a soft spot for Don Martin, his sound effects (SPROINGACHONK!), and his cast of hinge-footed characters.

mmm
Old 07-04-2019, 02:15 PM

I remember one time, when I was sick in bed with the measles, my mom and dad actually brought me a copy of MAD from the store. I bought a lot of paperbacks of reprinted material, too. Don Martin was my favorite artist. I thought their movie and TV titles were pretty clever.

Clodumbo
Saturday Night Feeble
The Planet That Went Ape
201 mins. of a Space Idiocy
A Crock of *Blip* Now
Botch Casually and the Somedunce Kid
How-Are-Ya-Five-O?
The White, Shadowed
Old 07-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
You gaines some, you lose some...

William Mildred Farnsworth Higgenbottom Gaines III, that is.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:31 PM
SDSAB

My sisters and I avidly read Mad through the mid-Seventies. Good stuff, and lots 'o laughs. Sorry it's wrapping things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Mad spokesman was quoted saying "I'm worried."
FTW!
Old 07-04-2019, 03:25 PM
SD Curator of Critters

IIRC my first copy was the 1961 Upside Down Year one, when I would have been 9. I bought it religiously through high school, along with all the MAD paperbacks from previous years. I still remember many of the articles and jokes. But I switched to the National Lampoon when it first came out when I was a freshman in college. I haven't seen an issue in decades, so I don't know what their current shtick is like.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:49 PM

I used to subscribe. My big brother had a bunch of the books of reprints. I remember enjoying the "Mad Libs" for songs like "Jingle Bells" with funny phrases to substitute.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:06 PM

When I was about ten my parents forbade me from buying it because I was becoming too much of a smart-ass. Didn't last.
Then I moved on to 70s era National Lampoon and I was lost for good.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:33 PM

I would purchase Mad Magazine on occasion when going to the grocery store with my mother back in the 1980s. I haven't purchased a Mad Magazine since around 1989 at the latest. My middle school had a lot of Mad Magazines dating back to the 1970s and I read quite a few of them. I can't speak for the quality of the magazine over the last 30 years but in the era of vanishing magazines I'm a little surprised it held on as long as it did. I really enjoyed it as a child. And sometimes when I glimpse some of what they published I marvel at what they got away with.