Old 07-05-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOldiesJock View Post
In 1975, I saw "Jaws" at a drive-in. Recently, I watched it for only the second time. I expected the clunky special effects would render it hopelessly dated. I was surprised. Although it could be done today with much better special effects, it would be a CGI gore-fest and look totally unrealistic. But what really puts "Jaws" over the top is the acting. Scheider, Shaw and Dreyfuss could never be improved upon, and that's really what makes it still work after all this time.
It's not just the acting, it's the editing, almost as much.

Jaws doesn't really belong in this thread. It holds up because it's a solidly good movie. No "God knows why" about it.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:24 PM

The Ninth Configuration. Stacy Keach, Ed Flanders and Hershcel from The Walking Dead were great in it.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2019, 07:16 PM

Point Break. The original of course.

Patrick Swayze
Keanu Reeves
Gary Busey
Lori Petty

Music in there by Concrete Blonde. Some great filming and action shots. And some perfect one liners.

Oh, well that's why it stands up. But it's a pretty cheesy guy flick. An eye-roller for my Wife, but it works.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
It's not just the acting, it's the editing, almost as much.

Jaws doesn't really belong in this thread. It holds up because it's a solidly good movie. No "God knows why" about it.
I agree. It is still a movie that scares me, even when I know what is coming. That is the measure of a good horror flick.

Anyone ever read the book? It was an ordinary summer potboiler, nothing special. Spielberg changed just about everything except the names of the characters, and it is a great movie. I remember I saw it in 1975, and thought I had learned where all the spoilers were. Then came the bigger boat scene, and I saw a whole theater full of people screaming(including myself) and making involuntary pushing moves with their hands.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:04 PM

I like action movies and I like bitches that kick ass. So liking The Long Kiss Goodnight when I first saw it was a gimme. It's full of great lines, incredible think-on-your-feet action sequences and very large explosions. Plus Samuel L. Jackson being all Sam Jackson-y.

But I'll watch it again and again for Gena Davis. Sweet Sam and Badass Charlie. We watch them fight for this woman's soul and I find it facination. And also for the punch lines.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:24 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Anyone ever read the book? It was an ordinary summer potboiler, nothing special. Spielberg changed just about everything except the names of the characters, and it is a great movie. I remember I saw it in 1975, and thought I had learned where all the spoilers were. Then came the bigger boat scene, and I saw a whole theater full of people screaming(including myself) and making involuntary pushing moves with their hands.
Like The Godfather, definitely an example of the movie being way better than the book.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I like action movies and I like bitches that kick ass. So liking The Long Kiss Goodnight when I first saw it was a gimme. It's full of great lines, incredible think-on-your-feet action sequences and very large explosions. Plus Samuel L. Jackson being all Sam Jackson-y.

But I'll watch it again and again for Gena Davis. Sweet Sam and Badass Charlie. We watch them fight for this woman's soul and I find it facination. And also for the punch lines.
In the same vein....I think Im the only one who likes The Quick and the Dead.

Its a GD cartoon with several famous cast members. Who is this movie hurting? I love it.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Flash Gordon from 1980. The effects are either badly dated or just bad, the acting ranges from nonexistent to completely over the top, with no middle ground, and it's just generally silly. Oh, yeah, and the soundtrack is...unique.

I love it! I don't know if it holds up for others, but it certainly does for me.

(dundundundun FLASH! AH-AH!)
Shit, it was never good. But by the time it played in my home town we were already able to use it as a sing-along movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Point Break. The original of course.

Patrick Swayze
Keanu Reeves
Gary Busey
Lori Petty

Music in there by Concrete Blonde. Some great filming and action shots. And some perfect one liners.

Oh, well that's why it stands up. But it's a pretty cheesy guy flick. An eye-roller for my Wife, but it works.
Also a favorite of lots of women. It doesn't even have to be women who'd be happy to watch Swayze or Reeves spell out a phone book, it's one of those movies that have always been called "bad" by people who think They Know Better but which keeps coming up in personal lists of favorites.

Which actually seems to apply to a lot of Swayze

Last edited by Nava; 07-06-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:02 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I've got to agree with The Fifth Element - love it.

Another my husband and I have watched a lot is Demolition Man. I can't stand Stallone, but I can't not watch this one when it comes on. What's really weird is that I'm not a big sci-fi-futuristic society fan, but I still like both of these flicks.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:15 AM

D.O.A. (the original movie from 1949).

In spite of a ridiculous, murky plot and horrendous overacting from Edmund O'Brien, the campy noir atmosphere makes it fun. Best scenes include jazz hipsters urging on musicians in a nightclub and the nonexistent bedside manner of doctors trying to diagnose O'Brien's "luminous" poisoning.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas View Post
Ice Station Zebra has always done it for me. Ernest Borgnine as a Russian double agent! Patrick McGoohan as the MI6 spy! Rock Hudson as The Skipper! What more could you want?

Maintain Revolutions!
Old 07-06-2019, 03:55 PM

I would also like to third (or fourth) Fifth Element. All the things I like: Dumb action, funny lines, kick ass women-- I even think Chris Tucker is good in it. Shows you how delusional I can be.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Another movie that I watch anytime I can is The In-Laws. Perfect casting, great directing, an astounding script, fantastic cinematography and just funny, funny, funny. "Serpentine, Shel! Serpentine!"
Hell, yeah. Make sure you never watch the execrable re-make.

We yell the serpentine line all the time.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:45 PM

I love The Long Kiss Good-bye too, Biggirl. I even came into it late the first time I saw it and still liked it.

I can't watch Point Break because I find Patrick Swayze repulsive. I can't stand to look at him. Has anyone read the book it was based on? Really weird.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

There was a book? I didn't know that Point Break was based on a book.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
There was a book? I didn't know that Point Break was based on a book.
Tapping the Source. Different than the movie, and, as I said, the ending was waaay weird.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas View Post
Ice Station Zebra has always done it for me. Ernest Borgnine as a Russian double agent! Patrick McGoohan as the MI6 spy! Rock Hudson as The Skipper! What more could you want?
Ginger and Mary Ann.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post

Oh yeah!

"Chefs do that"
Old 07-07-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
... The Rocketeer...still great movies...
Oh heck yes!
Old 07-07-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Flash Gordon from 1980. The effects are either badly dated or just bad, the acting ranges from nonexistent to completely over the top, with no middle ground, and it's just generally silly. Oh, yeah, and the soundtrack is...unique.

I love it! I don't know if it holds up for others, but it certainly does for me.

Flash Gordon completely embraced the aesthetic of the old serials, and that is its crime and its glory.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:07 AM

Multiplicity (1996) holds up and never gets any love.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
'Crazy Larry, Dirty Mary'. It's campy, silly and fun. Possibly the best line in any movie at one point. Anyone know it?
“I just hit it with a bigger hammer” is my favourite, but there’s something to be said about the scene where the one guy reads off the sign regarding “spitting, swearing and loose women”, and makes a crack about it pretty much covering Mary.

Last edited by zoogirl; 07-07-2019 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Fixed a line.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Time After Time. Talk about a weird premise that still holds us.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogirl View Post
“I just hit it with a bigger hammer” is my favourite, but there’s something to be said about the scene where the one guy reads off the sign regarding “spitting, swearing and loose women”, and makes a crack about it pretty much covering Mary.
“If a man was smart, you know what he’d do right now?”
“What?”
“...I don't know. I thought maybe you'd know.”
Old 07-07-2019, 11:56 AM

I can still watch the original Fright Night over and over again.

The main attraction is seeing Roddy McDowall's character transform from a cowardly snob into a fearless vampire killer.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:27 PM

I haven't seen Fright Night in decades. I barely remember Roddy McDowall. But there is one image from that movie that has stayed with me all these years. It'll pop up in my head for no reason when I'm alone in the house at night and the house has a conversation with itself in the basement. It is that girl opening her mouth. And opening it. AND OPENING IT AND OMG SO MANY TEETH!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Tremors!

Everything about that movie is perfect, brilliant casting, wonderful location. But it's the way it's played and the tone of the film that makes it truly great - it's not played for laughs, but doesn't take itself seriously. Wonderful. Should have got an Oscar.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

My nom is Buckaroo Banzai: Across The 8th Dimension.

Goofier than a bag of squirrels on crank.

Live it.

Last edited by ExTank; 07-07-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
No, but I own Dirty Mary Crazy Larry.

Talk about a surprise ending.
The flower children of the Sixties didn't expect to grow old. They would have their brief bright day in the sun and then either be shot by the Man or incinerated in the coming thermonuclear war.

ETA: has any movie ever had the chutzpah to conclude, with no presaging whatever, by having nuclear war break out?

Last edited by Lumpy; 07-07-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
The flower children of the Sixties didn't expect to grow old. They would have their brief bright day in the sun and then either be shot by the Man or incinerated in the coming thermonuclear war.

ETA: has any movie ever had the chutzpah to conclude, with no presaging whatever, by having nuclear war break out?
Not that I know of....but that would be amazing. Just going along. a rom-com or sports movie, suddenly missiles are flying and roll credits.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Ah, my favorite guilty pleasure movie. And the soundtrack is wonderful. It's exactly as cheesy as it needs to be.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:03 AM

My vote for this is The Last Starfighter, the 1984 early CGI science fiction film. It took an urban legend floating around (that video games were being used to "prospect" for warriors), re-used the character of Harold Hill from The Music Man (including having him portrayed by Robert Preston, who played him on Broadway and in the movie), used some not-completely-ready-for-prime-time CGI effects*, and surprisingly good writing to create something that isn't Star Wars clone, but captures a lot of its vibe. The film didn't take itself entirely seriously, which helped. It had aliens designed by Ron Cobb (who designed aliens for the first Star Wars film, did unused design work for the original Alien, and lots of other science fiction films), although the execution wasn't impressive - they still look like foam rubber. But the whole thing works. I'll always watch it if it's on. I wouldn't mind if they updated the CGI on the original film, but I think the original has charm.

* The folks responsible did a test rteel for George Lucas, trying to persuade him to use their CGI for Return of the Jedi. It would've been terrible. Their stuff looked okay if you took a long time for a frame -- their "stills" looked gorgeous -- but I don't think they took enough time rendering each frame for the film. It looked too "cartoony", and not realistic at all.

Quote:
This far down, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Forbidden Planet or The Day the Earth Stood Still. When it comes to "holding up over time," I'd say these two are strong contenders for first place. 38
No one mentioned them because, despite "holding up", it's perfectly clear why they are -- Great SF, great concepts, great writing, and superb special effects -- not only for the time, but still today. A lot of Forbidden PLanet's effects -- especially the Star Cruiser C47D moving over the planet Altair 4, are still gorgeous. And the way Gort's visor slowly lifts, revealing the awesome power of his laser (or whatever it is) still works, all these years later. Hell, Gort, despite being played by Lock Martin in a painted leather or foam rubber suit (depending on who you believe), STILL looks better than the CGI Gort from the awful remake (a film that I predict will NOT hold up in years to come.)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:22 AM

I'll 2nd Demolition Man, and add a lot of the Arnold repertoire from the 80s and 90s. Especially Conan the Barbarian, Predator, Commando, The Running Man, and True Lies.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Not that I know of....but that would be amazing. Just going along. a rom-com or sports movie, suddenly missiles are flying and roll credits.
Well...

SPOILER:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How would that be amazing? It would seem to be a cop-out for a screenwriter with no idea of how to end the story.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Its a GD cartoon with several famous cast members. Who is this movie hurting? I love it.
I was beginning to think that I was the only one who appreciates (or remembers) this film. Like most Raimi films, it just keeps on delivering.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Let me nominate:

THX-1138

This was a student project of George Lucas, later made into a full-fledged hollywood sci fi movie. The story and style were considered really strange when it was released, but it holds up well today.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
How would that be amazing? It would seem to be a cop-out for a screenwriter with no idea of how to end the story.
Because we DO live in a nuclear shadow. And that's exactly how things probably will end. One day we're all in the middle of the movie called 'our life' and out of nowhere all the electricity goes off and our cars won't start.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
The Day After Tomorrow. Cliched plot and characters, terrible science, yet it's very entertaining.
I never liked that film at all.

Not only bad science but bad geography.

I nominate Big Trouble in Little China.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Blazing Saddles has a deranged, nearly non-existent plot. It revels in it's own excess while taking us on a pointless journey of hilarious vulgarity.
Yes! Great until the end. Mel just didnt know how to end a movie.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Costumes are great and it's camp at it's best. Great soundtrack.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:45 AM

The name is Craig, Daniel Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I'll vote for "Goldfinger". A bizarre plot, a deadly hat/frisbee, a villain who lets Bond escape several times, and a main character with an amazingly crass name. But I still like it better than any Daniel Craig folderol.
What you might call the classic Bond movies, the ones actually based on the books, even if tangentially, are way better than the newer retreads. Sure, they are pure camp. However, Sean Connery was the only real Bond, Roger Moore was a bit of a wimp but just about OK, but Brosnan and Craig are just wrong. The later ones just look like any one of a number of secret agent action movies, the whole lot cooked up in a random plot generator.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I suggest you seek out his The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, It's delightfully bizarre, with pterodactyls flying through 1912 Paris, mummy's curses, and a woman with a hatpin in the brain.
It has moments.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

The swedish guy wth his Lemat is hilarious.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:53 AM

Lawrence of Arabia is just so weird in view of the events in the Middle East since it was made. Someone said that it is a film that could not be made nowadays. And that's true. But Peter O'Toole just steals the film.

Old films can be disappointing. Look for cheesy backdrops in Ben Hur. But you will ignore them because the film has panache and good actors.

Remakes often fall flat compared to the original. Some of the big Roman epics such as Spartacus and Cleopatra have been remade for TV. The backdrops are better, but the acting isn't. The oldies have a charm of their own. And strong performances.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmin View Post
Let me nominate:

THX-1138

This was a student project of George Lucas, later made into a full-fledged hollywood sci fi movie. The story and style were considered really strange when it was released, but it holds up well today.
Even better is Dark Star. John Carpenter , Dan O'Bannon. Made at USC, budget around $50,000.00
Old 07-08-2019, 12:03 PM

"Fight Club" the movie was better than the book. And speaking of Brad Pitt, I have to watch 'Snatch' every time I come across it on cable.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken View Post
"Fight Club" the movie was better than the book.
I really didnt care for Fight Club. But I did like Escape from New York*, Snake.

* except the stupid ending.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRangerRich View Post
Tremors!

Everything about that movie is perfect, brilliant casting, wonderful location. But it's the way it's played and the tone of the film that makes it truly great - it's not played for laughs, but doesn't take itself seriously. Wonderful. Should have got an Oscar.
Yep.

PS - Consider it stepped on.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
Back in the 80s my mother was excited to watching Blazing Saddles with me and was quite upset that they edited all the rude sounds from the campfire scene. The cowpokes would rise up while eating, sometimes grunt, and sit down but without the rude sounds the scene was much less effective.
WSBK in Boston did this. Used to drive me nuts, although I love telling the story now haha.