Old 07-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
The flower children of the Sixties didn't expect to grow old. They would have their brief bright day in the sun and then either be shot by the Man or incinerated in the coming thermonuclear war.

ETA: has any movie ever had the chutzpah to conclude, with no presaging whatever, by having nuclear war break out?
I think that's how the TV series Crime Story ended. ISTR the main bad guy and his toadie ending up at a Nevada test site right before the bomb went off.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
Back in the 80s my mother was excited to watching Blazing Saddles with me and was quite upset that they edited all the rude sounds from the campfire scene. The cowpokes would rise up while eating, sometimes grunt, and sit down but without the rude sounds the scene was much less effective.
Oddly, they do fart jokes in PG13 kiddie films now.

Now, the N-word. That is a tough choice.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
The flower children of the Sixties didn't expect to grow old. They would have their brief bright day in the sun and then either be shot by the Man or incinerated in the coming thermonuclear war.

ETA: has any movie ever had the chutzpah to conclude, with no presaging whatever, by having nuclear war break out?
I think that's how the TV series Crime Story ended. ISTR the main bad guy and his toadie ending up at a Nevada test site right before the bomb went off.
As I remember, that's how the second season ended. But then the show was renewed and those two characters survived the blast. (Great show, by the way. I recommend it highly.)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I really didnt care for Fight Club. But I did like Escape from New York*, Snake.

* except the stupid ending.
Snake Plissken...from Cleveland, Ohio.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken View Post
Snake Plissken...from Cleveland, Ohio.
Oh. I thought you were dead.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I take issue with the claim that Blazing Saddles didn't have a plot. Corrupt governor is in cahoots with corrupt railroad tycoon (or were they they same guy? Either way.), and wants to route through a town that doesn't want to sell their land, so he needs to intervene to make the townsfolk so miserable they'll want to leave: That's classic Western material, there. And the way he chooses to make them so miserable, by naming a black man as the sheriff, is great social commentary. And then it delivers on both of those premises, doing a better job of exploring them thoroughly than most "serious" movies. While also being continually hilarious.

The only weak part, I thought, was the breaking-the-fourth-wall ending, but the rest of the movie is easily great enough to make up for that.

And I'll second, or third, or whatever, The Fifth Element. By every objective measure, it's a bad movie. But it's just so much fun. I think it's mostly because of Milla Jovavich, who was having so much fun as Leeloo that it just rubbed off on the rest of the cast, and then it rubs off of the cast onto the viewer.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:49 AM

The Wizard of Oz should have sent filmmakers into a dizzying spiral of one-upsmanship, the way Star Wars did 38 years later. Maybe the war got in the way?

I agree with an earlier post about Multiplicity. I think they tried to get Blll Murray to star in it, and this was the beginning of Bill Murray refusing to take Harold Ramis's phone calls. I think Michael Keaton hit the ball out of the park, but not enough people agree with me about that. I also liked his remake of Bedazzled, but this was the beginning of the end for Brendan Fraser's star power.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
As I remember, that's how the second season ended. But then the show was renewed and those two characters survived the blast. (Great show, by the way. I recommend it highly.)
Really?

I guess I thought the show was in reruns after that and stopped watching.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Actually on reviewing the Wikipedia article, the atomic bomb blast ended the first season and then the show came back for a second season.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 AM

Does anyone apart from myself know or even like "The Ice Pirates"? Made in 1984, starring Robert Urich, Mary Crosby, Anjelica Huston and Ron Perlman it is on the one hand incredibly cheesy, on the other hand it has lots of classic Sci-Fi elements that are fun to watch (the Space Herpes!) and include lots of Star Wars spoofs. I have yet to see it on TV but fortunately found the DVD a couple of years ago. Since then I put it on from time to time but sadly enough no-one else wants to watch it with me... still, it is a sort of a classic for me.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
That's classic Western material, there.
Translation: tired and clichéd, recycled plot. It's also complete irrelevant to the point of the movie. If Mel wanted to wrap all those outrageous and legitimately hilarious gags within an original coherent, well paced, well plotted story, I might agree with you. That's not Mel Brooks though. "Coherence", "plot", maybe if he has time. "Pace", Mel would just say "Try to keep up, sonny!" He has no interest in cinema. He does popcorn flicks which is a good thing because when you pee your pants laughing, you can blame the dark, spreading stain on excess zeal with the butter.

This is one of the funniest movies of all time but yeah, the plot is thin at best.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Actually on reviewing the Wikipedia article, the atomic bomb blast ended the first season and then the show came back for a second season.
Isn't that more or less how Sledge Hammer! went?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Sure, Brooks could have gotten away with not having a plot for Blazing Saddles, and it would still have been hilarious. But that's not what he chose. He chose to give it a classic (OK, say "cliched" if you want) plot, and then to give it a twist that most certainly wasn't cliched, but which worked well.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitJ View Post
Does anyone apart from myself know or even like "The Ice Pirates"? Made in 1984, starring Robert Urich, Mary Crosby, Anjelica Huston and Ron Perlman it is on the one hand incredibly cheesy, on the other hand it has lots of classic Sci-Fi elements that are fun to watch (the Space Herpes!) and include lots of Star Wars spoofs. I have yet to see it on TV but fortunately found the DVD a couple of years ago. Since then I put it on from time to time but sadly enough no-one else wants to watch it with me... still, it is a sort of a classic for me.
Yes! I loved that movie when I was a kid. It was the first film I thought of when I first read this thread, but I haven't seen it in like 30 years. So I didn't feel I was qualified to say whether or not it still holds up.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:12 AM

Ice Pirates saves itself by being a comedy by design and by acknowledging that fact over and over with the acting. There's quite a bit of cheek, eh.

Mind you, it's still terrible but at least it's fun.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:11 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Sure, Brooks could have gotten away with not having a plot for Blazing Saddles, and it would still have been hilarious. But that's not what he chose. He chose to give it a classic (OK, say "cliched" if you want) plot, and then to give it a twist that most certainly wasn't cliched, but which worked well.
Chronos Johnson is right.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I saw it in the theater when it first came out. Cheesy fun, with John Carradine barely able to move, but obviously enjoying himself.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Even better is Dark Star. John Carpenter , Dan O'Bannon. Made at USC, budget around $50,000.00
I found a lot of John Carpenter films still hold up over time:
The Thing
Big Trouble in Little China
They Live
Prince of Darkness
Escape From New York

another late 70s/80s film I still find endlessly rewatchable:

The Warriors

I think that a lot of films from the 70s and 80s tend to hold up well because the use of practical effects and real car crashes, etc are realistic enough that you aren't like WTF. Plus the setting is both gritty and cheesy.

In contrast, I was watching Air Force One the other day. It was ok, aside from being a typical 90s "Die Hard on an Airplane" action film (see also Executive Decision, Passenger 57, Turbulence, Con Air). But there were some really bad CGI shots, even by the standards of the rest of the film, that pulled me out of the movie. Then again, who doesn't love Harrison Ford yelling "GET OFF MY PLANE" and tossing Gary Oldman out the back of the cargo ramp.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
The Thing
They Live
Prince of Darkness
Escape From New York

another late 70s/80s film I still find endlessly rewatchable:

The Warriors

I think that a lot of films from the 70s and 80s tend to hold up well because the use of practical effects and real car crashes, etc are realistic enough that you aren't like WTF. Plus the setting is both gritty and cheesy.
Good points, altho- The Warriors?

And what is odd is that altho during the 60's and 70's a LOT of people smoked, movies filmed then didnt have that much smoking. But films made now, that are set in those periods- have lots of smoking.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Even better is Dark Star. John Carpenter , Dan O'Bannon. Made at USC, budget around $50,000.00
The comment about the end of Escape From NY (though its really Escape from LA that does it) made me me think of this, but this is a good illustration too...

We should do a thread about movies that have great little 15 minute movies nestled within it:

Dark Star When The Bomb Activates
The First Fifteen Minutes of Dances With Wolves
When Snake Plisskin Gets Out of LA and Sends the World to the Dark Ages
Old 07-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
. . . I think that a lot of films from the 70s and 80s tend to hold up well . . .
Not quite the 70's, but this made me think of Where Eagles Dare from 1968, a terrific WWII action/thriller.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:51 PM

My husband watches old westerns and war movies along with any movie that involves fighting, guns and sex. However, he must stop and watch (and I will join him but it's not strange that I like) The Parent Trap. The one with Lindsay Lohan. He really enjoys watching those twins (Lohan is absolutely terrific in it) get the better of that mean ole step-mom wannabe.

This one is a for real 'only God knows why' dealie. Such a huge leap from another secret agent gladiator guns down barbarian drug lords in a war torn town full of bordellos.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
The comment about the end of Escape From NY (though its really Escape from LA that does it) made me me think of this, but this is a good illustration too...

We should do a thread about movies that have great little 15 minute movies nestled within it:

Dark Star When The Bomb Activates
The First Fifteen Minutes of Dances With Wolves
When Snake Plisskin Gets Out of LA and Sends the World to the Dark Ages
Easy Rider. Even when it was new it was ridiculously overrated and pretentious. Except for the campfire scene in which Jack Nicholson stole the movie.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
...The First Fifteen Minutes of Dances With Wolves...
The initial scene in Dances With Wolves took me right out of the movie. It's essentially the opening scene of the first season of F Troop!
Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 AM

I vote for The Big Lebowski.

It actually has a lot of depth, and I notice new things when I rewatch. The nihilists seemed like a random bit of eccentricity, but they actually had some layered motives.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I vote for The Big Lebowski.

It actually has a lot of depth, and I notice new things when I rewatch. The nihilists seemed like a random bit of eccentricity, but they actually had some layered motives.
The interesting thing I find about this movie after rewatching is that ostensibly a loud mouth moron, Walter correctly predicts everything that takes place.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-10-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:55 PM

I couldn't sleep and ended up watching "Excalibur" at 2am last night. While it's fun watching a young Patrick Stewart, Helen Mirren, Liam Neelson and others, it really is an oddball film. The dialogue is terrible. The plot feels kind of random. It's cut together badly. Like you have snippets of Carmina Burana randomly inserted into the soundtrack and then cut out.

Quote:
Good points, altho- The Warriors?
I don't know man, it's always on HBO or Starz or whatever and I always get sucked into watching it.

CAN YOUOOOO DIIIIIIG IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl
My husband watches old westerns and war movies along with any movie that involves fighting,
Westerns are like WWII films. Every now and then they keep making a new one. They might not all be Unforgiven or Saving Private Ryan. But they are usually watchable.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:10 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Up the Creek.

Totally derivative copycat film, cheap even for its day. But it has "stars*" out the wazoo and a really quite clever hand with the dialog.

* - Someone from Porky's, a couple from Animal House, Wolowitz's father, Lt. Howard Hunter, Higgins, etc.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:22 PM

Plus it's got that great theme song from Cheap Trick. Definitely one of the better crappy teen comedies of the '80s.

I just checked the thread and since no one has mentioned it before, I will: The Wanderers is still a great movie.

I thought of it last night for some reason and paid $3 to watch it on Amazon. Now I want to get ahold of the Directors Cut from 1996. I really liked this movie when it came out; really cool to see that it has held up well.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
The initial scene in Dances With Wolves took me right out of the movie. It's essentially the opening scene of the first season of F Troop!
That's....amazing.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:56 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Back in the day, some buddies and I went to see it stoned out of our gourd when it hit the dollar movie house in West Texas. I was so blasted that I could not remember anything about it even as we left the theater.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

I remember Ice Pirates. The robot pimp was hilarious.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Also, after the Captain got fed up with one of the robots and wrecked it, the remaining robots suddenly shaped up and showed some respect.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I've got to agree with The Fifth Element - love it.

Another my husband and I have watched a lot is Demolition Man. I can't stand Stallone, but I can't not watch this one when it comes on. What's really weird is that I'm not a big sci-fi-futuristic society fan, but I still like both of these flicks.
Both of these for me, personally.

Also unavoidable, and watched once or twice a year for me is In the Mouth of Madness and Event Horizon. Not sure why, but they just hit something for me!

Hmm, should probably also add Big Trouble in Little China to the list- love me some Jack Burton, and I am pretty sure I could watch (as mentioned above) James Hong spell out the phonebook and be thoroughly entertained. Going to be a sad day for me when he passes away (I think he is 90 now?).
Old 07-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
The Thing
They Live
Prince of Darkness
Escape From New York
Should have read the entire thread before responding! Yes, on further review, John Carpenter hits the spot for me. I introduced my kids to They Live recently, and they absolutely loved it!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Up the Creek.

Totally derivative copycat film, cheap even for its day. But it has "stars*" out the wazoo and a really quite clever hand with the dialog.

* - Someone from Porky's, a couple from Animal House, Wolowitz's father, Lt. Howard Hunter, Higgins, etc.
YASSSSSS...went in expecting nothing and was really entertained. Since we're throwing that out there...

Making the Grade has a lot going for it.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 PM

Some family movies:

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Old 07-12-2019, 10:32 PM

Yet another vote for The Fifth Element. We taped it off cable back then, and our then tween-age kids watched it over and over and over. Nowadays, all my husband has to say is "Multipass" and those now 30-somethings will burst out laughing.

Three more notables in our household: Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Mask, and To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar. We had taped those off cable as well.

We currently own all four of those on DVD, and I can watch them anytime. So why is it that if I see one while channel surfing I'm compelled to watch it?
Old 07-12-2019, 11:52 PM

The original Planet of the Apes.

The whole premise is, their spaceship has landed on an alien planet far from earth...and the big M Night Shyamalan reveal at the end with the Statue of Liberty...that they're STILL on Earth?

We saw feral humans, sentient chimps, gorillas, and orangutans, traditional horses, oxygen atmosphere, normal gravity and temperature, a dug-up human doll that says "mama".

I'm sure if he cared to check he'd find earth-native vegetation and salt water in the ocean.

How can anybody be surprised this is earth?

(Far in the future or parallel universe, but still earth!)

Yet it is an awesome concept and movie!
Old 07-13-2019, 07:25 AM

Another family movie:

Swallows and Amazons (1974)

Trailer

Rotten Tomatoes (76%) Blurb from the wrong movie, though.

A low-budget (£300,000) British film that's still very pleasant to watch. Still loved by fans of the books, despite its shortcomings.

I first started reading the book series after watching this movie.

Pros

- The right atmosphere
- Genuine locations in the Lake District
- Sailing boats and 1929 period detail 100% correct
- Children cast with real-life characters similar to the movie/book characters
- Music excellent
- Reasonably faithful to the book

Cons

- Casting issues - ages of some of the children wrong
- Part of 'Uncle Jim' seriously miscast
- Dialog a bit stilted
- 'Quaint' by modern standards

Think Famous Five, Secret Seven, The Railway children - something along those lines, but better. The books stand up well to adult reading.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Chronos Johnson is right.
RRaarrbushh!
Old 07-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
Another family movie:

Swallows and Amazons (1974)....
Not available in the USA, sadly due to that crappy regions stuff.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 PM

re;Multiplicith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
The Wizard of Oz should have sent filmmakers into a dizzying spiral of one-upsmanship, the way Star Wars did 38 years later. Maybe the war got in the way?

I agree with an earlier post about Multiplicity. I think they tried to get Blll Murray to star in it, and this was the beginning of Bill Murray refusing to take Harold Ramis's phone calls. I think Michael Keaton hit the ball out of the park, but not enough people agree with me about that. I also liked his remake of Bedazzled, but this was the beginning of the end for Brendan Fraser's star power.
I hear what you're saying about Michael Keaton being the key to making "Multiplicity" work {"Hi Steve!"} Each copy of his Doug character needed 2b distinct from the others; Bill Murray, while a comedic master who can also hold his weight in drama IF given the right material ["Lost In Translation"] wouldn't have been able 2do what Keaton did in playing subtly different versions of the same guy. Keaton has ALWAYS been a finely tuned actor, in almost all of his movies he gives each character what it needs needs to 2make the film's narrative work. Even in his 1st one, "Night Shift", when his character Bill does the sad Xmas tree scene, talking about how him mom went kinda crazy after his dad left them. Then what? => Keaton does "Clean And Sober" for his 2nd film, his portrayal of Batman is still best one [more so in the 2nd one, "Batman Returns"], then "Mr. Mom" THEN freakin' "Beetlejuice"! And who the hell else could've made "Birdman" work. {I love the Straight*Dope boards but this what happens w/me after too much kaffee on a Monday!}
Old 07-16-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Not available in the USA, sadly due to that crappy regions stuff.
It is available in the USA - it's on Amazon USA - only with a warning that it's region 2.

There are various legal ways to play region 2 DVDs/Blu-rays in the USA. You can easily change the region of the drive on your computer. You can rip the disk or copy it - either of which will eliminate the region encoding. This is 100% legal if you own the DVD/Blu-ray.

The books are also public domain in Canada and many other countries, and are available here.

A must if you love children and/or sailing. The children are in many ways the most realistic children I've seen in fiction, and mostly based on real children the author knew. He also owned a series of sailing yachts and sailed his whole life. The books all revolve around sailing.

Quote:
I have often been asked how I came to write Swallows and Amazons. The answer is that it had its beginning long, long ago when, as children, my brother, my sisters and I spent most of our holidays on a farm at the south end of Coniston. We played in or on the lake or on the hills above it, finding friends in the farmers and shepherds and charcoal-burners whose smoke rose from the coppice woods along the shore. We adored the place. Coming to it, we used to run down to the lake, dip our hands in and wish, as if we had just seen the new moon. Going away from it, we were half drowned in tears. While away from it, as children and as grown-ups, we dreamt about it. No matter where I was, wandering about the world, I used at night to look for the North Star and, in my mind’s eye, could see the beloved skyline of great hills beneath it. Swallows and Amazons grew out of those old memories. I could not help writing it. It almost wrote itself.
  — Arthur Ransome
Old 07-16-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I suggest you seek out his The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, It's delightfully bizarre, with pterodactyls flying through 1912 Paris, mummy's curses, and a woman with a hatpin in the brain.
Quote:
It has moments.
It's like Indiana Jones but with a French woman, but as it's a French film there is less punching and more nudity. Still fun though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
Lawrence of Arabia is just so weird in view of the events in the Middle East since it was made. Someone said that it is a film that could not be made nowadays. And that's true. But Peter O'Toole just steals the film.
See also: The Ruling Class (which is bizarre but still very watchable) and My Favorite Year. Really, Peter O'Toole is watchable in pretty much anything.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Corrupt governor is in cahoots with corrupt railroad tycoon (or were they they same guy? Either way.)
Different characters. Gov. LePetomane was played by Mel Brooks, and Hedley Lamarr was played by Harvey Korman (respectively).

Yes, I've watched this movie at least a few dozen times. Nearly 50, and still laugh myself silly at the campfire scene. I especially like how the fire flares in time with the sound effects.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
Back in the 80s my mother was excited to watching Blazing Saddles with me and was quite upset that they edited all the rude sounds from the campfire scene. The cowpokes would rise up while eating, sometimes grunt, and sit down but without the rude sounds the scene was much less effective.
I took the audio from that scene and set it as the Windows startup sound on my daughter's computer. She was appalled!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
Lawrence of Arabia is just so weird in view of the events in the Middle East since it was made. Someone said that it is a film that could not be made nowadays. And that's true. But Peter O'Toole just steals the film.
It's interesting for the contrast between the nomadic warring tribesmen shown in the movie and the wealthy plutocrats now running things in Saudi Arabia.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
It's interesting for the contrast between the nomadic warring tribesmen shown in the movie and the wealthy plutocrats now running things in Saudi Arabia.
What?

The top Arab leader portrayed was Faisal*. Read his bio. Hardly nomadic. Sherif Ali was partly based on his cousin. Same deal.

As rebels during a war against a then-superior enemy they had to go to ground but that wasn't their normal style of living.

While not portrayed in the film, Lawrence also worked with the other Arab leaders. Examples:

The main Arab royal family are the descendants of Ibn Saud, founder of Saudi Arabia. His family had been rulers of Riyadh and weren't nomads. He did go on the run a couple times. First after a failed attempt to regain Riyadh and then during the conflict with the Ottomans. Again, not the usual lifestyle.

The first king of Jordan, Abdullah I, was a brother of Faisal who initially served in the Ottoman goverment before joining the rebellion.

Note that Auda Abu Tayi was an actual Bedouin and a well respected military commander. His experience in the desert was important. But he did not have any other governmental role and did not produce any national dynasty.

* Not to be confused with the later Saudi king.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Yet another vote for The Fifth Element, and here's my guess why: It did a similar thing that the original Ghost Busters did - it totally nailed the mix of comedy/adventure/spoof in such a perfect way that you almost can't really categorize it very easily. Get one element (heh) of that mix a little bit off and you end up with something mediocre that we've already seen a million times... but nail it and you end up with something truly memorable and unique.

Last edited by Clawdio; 07-16-2019 at 09:58 AM.